Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Haha, now I actually feel less bad for getting interested in a bit of WoW again. Played it a couple of years ago, when apparently I was too thick to figure out why "soloing with a holy priest" even sounds bad on paper.
The numbers really are a weak point, but on the other hand World of Warcraft has a shitload of lore and quite nice world-building. Considering to pick it up again as I most definitely didn't feel any addiction the first time. TF2 got me addicted. Over a thousand hours in like one years (although you have to substract quite a bit because of idling, but it's still way too fucking much. "Luckily" the last few updates have turned me off).

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I never played it, but I agree with his points that being well made and fun or addicting or whatever is not enough to justify the cost.

It does not look fun to me, but I am guessing it is for a lot (duh) and do not even want to try. That said, I am surprised he even played it, almost as surprised that he played it before.

I have not read MOGWORLD yet; waiting for the iBooks version *HINT HINT*; and so I did not know it was WOW based, I figured it was a Ultima Online thing because all I have ever enjoyed is Ultima back in the day and I guess I was projecting.

Still kind of a funny review, not the best but at least worth of the ZP name.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Never did know what was going on in WoW. I was vaguely aware that we (the Horde) were fighting them (the Alliance), but I never really found out why. There's probably a good reason the Night Elves want to kill the nature loving Taurens, but no one ever bothered to explain it to me.

I guess you could argue that MMOs aren't about the story line, but then why would it makes us do so much faffing about to level up? And if we're meant to experience the world, why let us zip through the low level content so quickly?

Although WoW isn't the worst offender of this stuff. Just the biggest.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
So, uh... did he like WoW or not? I mean, I know he called it evil and all, but everyone knows that at this point, and just becuase something is evil does not mean it's not enjoyable

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Thank you for addressing the problem with raiding and instances. You're only gathering gear to gather more gear.

I played World of Warcraft for a very brief period of time(because I try things before I bash them) and I never understood the point. Once you've gathered the best gear you possibly can, there's nothing left to do but PvP, and the PvP system is so shit that it's not even worth doing.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Nimcha said:
Those things aren't important at all. The endgame is. And that was pretty much the best it has ever been. Not perfect mind you, but WotLK pretty much ruined any chance of that.
That's like saying the only important part of a game is the last level. That is, it's horrendously incorrect.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I am thoughrly disappointed. Next week he'll be reviewing the Mechanic. Really, where are Fable 3, and all the other NEW games out. For goodness sake it's an expansion pack. I would really like to see him review older games or at least something of interest. Morrowind mayhaps?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Between the new and interesting kinds of quests, it is best to enter the game now I suppose is the best time ever to get into the game, but I am still not going into it because I don't think I would have the ability to get out if I ever started.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
KalosCast said:
Nimcha said:
Those things aren't important at all. The endgame is. And that was pretty much the best it has ever been. Not perfect mind you, but WotLK pretty much ruined any chance of that.
That's like saying the only important part of a game is the last level. That is, it's horrendously incorrect.
In this case, it isn't. An expansion lasts about 2 years, during that time an average players spends about 80% of his time on the max level. Levelling is just building up to that.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
-Samurai- said:
Thank you for addressing the problem with raiding and instances. You're only gathering gear to gather more gear.

I played World of Warcraft for a very brief period of time(because I try things before I bash them) and I never understood the point. Once you've gathered the best gear you possibly can, there's nothing left to do but PvP, and the PvP system is so shit that it's not even worth doing.
That, or wait for the new content to release, level a new alt, train your professions, try a different spec ( that might require other, better gear.)

The game is hardly evil, the people that do get stuck in it are just pathetic.
And I'm totally allowed to make that judgement, for I've been a casual player for the last 6 years.

Yes, you heard me.
I have been playing this game for six years, it never bothered with my school, it never bothered with my social life, it might have kept me up a few nights for 'one more level' but hey, so did Civ V, and we're not calling that evil.

Well, we would if it was just as popular. But it isn't, so Civ V is just fun and awesome.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
That's a lot of responses from people who clearly haven't watch it.

Since I actually did however I've got a question... how does the expansion impact those who don't have it? I haven't played in a few months and am now wondering when I do I'll be on top of a mountain or beneath a whole new town.

Also, Dwarves are the only Alliance race worth playing as haha!
You are teleported to the nearest graveyard for your own convenience so you don't mess up the pathing/changed terrain and fall through the world for all eternity...

FlamingForce

Feb 17, 2010
How in god's name he ended up in a guild actually WAS the 1st thing that popped into my mind upon hearing "Guild Mates"

Muggizz

May 24, 2009
Hahahah this one was clearly the funniest one in a while. Had me fucking crakced up. Agree on most of the things he said, some i can argue with. Still love to hear some critical toughts that acually makes sense.

You can't go to youtube for reviews anymore. Yazhee is the only person with true honest opinions acccording to me. Keep it up!

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
beniki said:
Never did know what was going on in WoW. I was vaguely aware that we (the Horde) were fighting them (the Alliance), but I never really found out why. There's probably a good reason the Night Elves want to kill the nature loving Taurens, but no one ever bothered to explain it to me.
Honestly, it's never explained all that well why everything broke up at the end of WC3. But generally speaking, almost all the disputes involve the Night Elves, Humans, Orcs and Forsaken (undead). Everyone else is drawn into it because they're allies of these people. Kinda WWI-ish.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I played WoW before, and I thought it was boring; It doesn't sound like that much has changed.

lordswift

Apr 16, 2009
Think il stick to eveonline thanks soo much better and free expansions. *awaits the wowtards fanboy comments