Zero Punctuation: XCOM 2

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Qizx said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Okay, I've never played XCOM, so I had no idea what people where talking about with the Vipers, but upon checking ...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/xcom/images/8/8a/XCOM2_ConceptArt_Viper.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1280?cb=20150619184546

Why do the snakes have tits? Not just tits, but that drawing on the right looks like they've simply traced over the image of a naked women. I guess they want to bring across that they've female for whatever reason, but it still seems strange for a reptilian alien to have a perfectly human rack.
Hey, whatever the scalies are into I guess, but something about the design makes me feel it's somehow both too anthropomorphized, and not enough.
Because they have human DNA in them was my understanding. Still a little odd but these are the same creatures that were the thin men so...
FirstNameLastName said:
Okay, I've never played XCOM, so I had no idea what people where talking about with the Vipers, but upon checking ...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/xcom/images/8/8a/XCOM2_ConceptArt_Viper.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1280?cb=20150619184546

Why do the snakes have tits? Not just tits, but that drawing on the right looks like they've simply traced over the image of a naked women. I guess they want to bring across that they've female for whatever reason, but it still seems strange for a reptilian alien to have a perfectly human rack.
Hey, whatever the scalies are into I guess, but something about the design makes me feel it's somehow both too anthropomorphized, and not enough.
They're venom sacks. The Ethereals modified* the "Snakeman" species to have the venom sacks on their chest, so that they can launch a poison cloud at a distance by flexing their pectoral muscles. It's in the autopsy description

*not with human DNA, more like they did with the Mutons in XCOM 1

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
FirstNameLastName said:
Why do the snakes have tits?
Ah the old snaketits kerfuffle. It's as old as the XCOM2 announcement trailer itself:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ahf91e.png

Why? Good marketing. On the part of Firaxis or in-game alien overlords? Both.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Pc Hissy could be the next Fireman Sam or Postman Pat.

I'd watch it with my kids.
Or somebodies kids.
Then there'd probably be a trial and some kind of register I had to sign.
I forget where I'm going with this.

I'm looking forward to the Pc Hissy series!

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Looking over at this discussion, I've come to realise (having not played XCOM 2 and probably won't for a while) the thing that annoys me the most is not the basic premise, or the retcon of Enemy Unknown's ending. Those ideas I'm fine with, and will judge for myself if the execution is botched or not.

No, what's really putting me off is the aesthetic. One thing I really liked about the first XCOM is the designs of the aliens and how they fit together to create this effective and cohesive 50's B-movie horror look that enforced the tone of the game. But XCOM 2 looks a bit too bland, too modern and the designs of the aliens are individually dull, and not cohesive at all. The Vipers and Archons are the worst offenders, not looking like they belong in the game's world, but even the Sectoids have been rendered kind of bland with the more human look. It's gone from Destroy All Humans to Halo in terms of visual style, with characters looking more like a bunch of brightly coloured action figures.

So yeah, that bugs me a bit.

Dinadan

Nov 12, 2009
Kingjackl said:
Looking over at this discussion, I've come to realise (having not played XCOM 2 and probably won't for a while) the thing that annoys me the most is not the basic premise, or the retcon of Enemy Unknown's ending. Those ideas I'm fine with, and will judge for myself if the execution is botched or not.

No, what's really putting me off is the aesthetic. One thing I really liked about the first XCOM is the designs of the aliens and how they fit together to create this effective and cohesive 50's B-movie horror look that enforced the tone of the game. But XCOM 2 looks a bit too bland, too modern and the designs of the aliens are individually dull, and not cohesive at all. The Vipers and Archons are the worst offenders, not looking like they belong in the game's world, but even the Sectoids have been rendered kind of bland with the more human look. It's gone from Destroy All Humans to Halo in terms of visual style, with characters looking more like a bunch of brightly coloured action figures.

So yeah, that bugs me a bit.
Good point.

I personally liked the new sectoids, mainly due to body language and the weird skull with teeth. Similarly I do like the Archons, cause I can see them doing their job in broad daylight without evoking any sense of dread from humans. However, I can see where you are coming from and I feel other enemies later in the game have a similar problem. The new mutons for example just don't look as intimidating as the old ones (Berserker excepted).
All in all the changed visual style is quite a departure from its predecessor.

On Yahtzee's points: I think most are relatable. I loved the timers, they gave me something else to plan around and forced me to make the most of what I had, instead of allowing me to perfectly strategies my gameplan. I generally feel a sense of disconnect to that problem. However, since the game is already so open to customization, I wonder why there wasn't some extra options at game start, like the 'second wave' mechanics. The modding communities solution is no excuse to me. They shouldn't have to provide basic features, especially not from day one.

The tech issues should get more attention though. That game is everything people hate about PC gaming in terms of performance. My oldish PC had little trouble with mid-to-high graphics, but my friends rather new one ( a few months) had performance issues like you wouldn't believe. That's a total no-go. And judging from internet response, that's hardly uncommon.

I consider the game a worthy sequel and an improvement, but I'm not blind to its sometimes glaring oversights and strange design choices (ie. timer while concealed).

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Why snake tits: Because XCOM is thematically playing with stereotypical ideas of aliens. The tactics are certainly pretty hardcore (in gaming terms), but the design of their aliens is imaginative in a sort of naive 50-ies way.

We have the Sectoids, who look like the classic "gray" alien. The Thin Men have a creepy body-replacement kind of feel, the stuff of urban legends. The Mutons look like stupid grunts, alien version. Chrysalids have the insect/Zerg/Thyranid vibe.

The Vipers having boobs seems like a kind of nod to the same look-and-feel that makes all the aliens in Star Trek be human-like. It's an homage, or theme, that harkens back to naive sci-fi (or budget) ideas of aliens.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
god damn it, now snake-ladies are basically kind of new furries except there's no fur.. scalies? what the Christ ...

I've been meaning to play XCOM2 and still will but what Y says here actually makes sense. It won't be a deal breaker but it makes sense

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
stormtrooper9091 said:
god damn it, now snake-ladies are basically kind of new furries except there's no fur.. scalies? what the Christ ...
There's nothing new about it. Scalies (yep, you guessed the name right) have been around for a long time, probably almost as long a furries have been a thing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Color me surprised Yahtzee used "yards" to measure distance instead of "meters". And what happened with the video player yesterday? I couldn't pause the video, and today it didn't even show up after the Far Cry Primal ad!

Alex V.Sharp

Jan 20, 2011
I'm in the minority here, but personally I still prefer the storyline of the UFO series rather than classic XCOM ideas (exception being Apocalypse, cause that was just a very creative spin on it). Somehow the whole "Biomass experiment turning an otherwise completely unimportant planet into a centre point for a galaxy-wide conflict" sounds more realistic and interesting than the whole trans-dimensional time-travel ordeal. :/

Also the Vipers are awesome -- form and all. Only shame is they're the bad guys; I'd be happy to have one of them go rogue. ;)

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
stormtrooper9091 said:
Don't you dare belittle your reptile and savior Raptor Jesus.

I see no problem with snaketits. We're speaking about aliens trying to justify their domination.
Any basic research on Internet from an alien perspective would conclude to this: female build + monster = WIN.
What they would failed to grasp is the supremacy of cats and rabbits in that area.

At worst, I could this those artworks as a hommage to V. No matter what they say, all guys digged Diana in her uniform at the time.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
All complaints against this game are invalidated because of the incredibly sexy Vipers.

Seriously though, while the turn-limit mechanics could be tightened a bit and the concealment expanded slightly, I honestly cannot think of anything I didn't like in this fantastic game.

Except for the lack of defecting sneks to play with.

karlbarx

Oct 30, 2014
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
XCOM 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews XCOM 2.

Watch Video

Very funny. Funniest video yet. I usually rely on these videos for a one watch information-gasm that just gets to the point and tells me if yahtzee liked it (he never explicitly says if he likes something, but you can usually tell by how badly he rips into it) this one I suggest on a rewatch because I didn't catch all the jokes on the first go. Very dense and very funny. I enjoyed it. ^_^

As for XCOM2 Some ape like barbarians with gunpowder rifles rebelling doesn't seem like a threat when you're a giant snarling galactic fart of an alien. "Rebelling" clearly isn't the right word. Insurgenting? These humans aren't representative of the population so why should the global population support them? Wouldn't that empower them to take the world over AGAIN? And do what with it? Maybe I do want to hear the aliens immigration policy and how their brood is doing...

VinnyThunder

Mar 2, 2016
I haven't played 2 yet, but the new stealth mechanic sounds similar to the one in Double Fine's Massive Chalice - I wonder if that was the inspiration?