Zero Punctuation: Xenoblade Chronicles X

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
Another funny review.

Can't wait for the salt from the game's fanbase. Hopefully it arrives before my fries do.

Oh and first, I guess.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
I'm using Richard relocation from now on, thanks.

I have no interest at all in any of these games, but boy howdy are they easy to make fun of.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
My personal theory is that they wanted to do a pso/mh style mmo on the wii u but chickened out since many of the mechanics feel very mmo to me. Great review btw also thanks for spoiling xenoblade chronicles 3D for everyone, but then again there were hints that this was the case even half way though when I stopped playing.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
UberPubert said:
I'm using Richard relocation from now on, thanks.
Me too, that was awesome.

On the one hand, I don't even have a Wii U so this doesn't really mean anything to me but on the other, I can't help but giggle when someone's disappointed after receiving their giant robot because I think giant robots are sillyyyyyy

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
RisenStorm said:
Another funny review.

Can't wait for the salt from the game's fanbase. Hopefully it arrives before my fries do.

Oh and first, I guess.
What?s there to be salty about? It?s a open world JRPG, what Yathzee talked about comes with the territory. Could it have been better in some ways? Oh yeah, no doubt.

But it?s an open world JRPG that?s quite good, if confusing and drawn out at times, in a sea of... well, nothing really. Outside of Final Fantasy, can?t really remember the last open world JRPG.

Bad Player

Jun 21, 2013
Well, can't really deny any of the stuff you said. Especially the bit about putting level 60 monsters in the path of the level 20 story mission...

XCX isn't bad for what it is, but I do wish it was another XC--that is, a story-driven, rather than open world, JRPG. Oh well, maybe the third game.

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
What's there to be salty about? It's a open world JRPG, what Yathzee talked about comes with the territory. Could it have been better in some ways? Oh yeah, no doubt.

But it's an open world JRPG that's quite good, if confusing and drawn out at times, in a sea of... well, nothing really. Outside of Final Fantasy, can't really remember the last open world JRPG.
Because anytime Yahtzee harshly criticizes a beloved game, tons of salt results from its fanbase, which tends to forget that Yahtzee is a critic first and foremost.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
RisenStorm said:
Another funny review.

Oh and first, I guess.
Why? Yahtzee gave it a far more favorable showing than most JRPGs he plays.

Jman1236 said:
btw also thanks for spoiling xenoblade chronicles 3D for everyone
He didn't. What he said was not correct.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
This was the funniest one in my recent memory.

Bravo, Yahtzee. And since you weren't so down on the game, I may have to give it a try. I've been burnt out on JRPGs for a while, but if this one does enough different to appease your wrath, it might be the change of pace I need.

CarelessRook117

Jan 13, 2016
Wierd. It sounded like he actually liked it. I was almost certain this would be everything he hates about Jrpgs in one big bundle.
I guess anything is possible.
Good to see even people who aren't fans of the genre enjoy this game.

Llarys

Aug 28, 2013
Don't worry Yahtzee, another 30 hours and you'll gain the ability to fly in your giant robot. nyuknyuknyuk.

In all seriousness, I am having a lot of fun with the game, but their attempt at fusing JRPG storytelling (read: bloated cancerous mass that has little to no player urgency) with Western RPG game design (read: open game world that wants you to fuck off and not come back) leads to...a lot of problems really. Without spoiling anything, this leads to HUGE problems in the plot where you have to find the super important plot devices of saving humanity...super important plot devices of saving humanity that you've probably found on your own 5+ hours ago. Of course, since YOU found it, you can't do anything with it, can't recover it, can't do anything with it...except let it sit there. Then when you get the story mission to recover the plot device everyone exclaims "HOLY SHIT THE PLOT DEVICE WAS THERE ALL ALONG?" and then the bad guys destroy it. Because plot.

And this happens no fewer than three sodding times. It's not like they're out of the way, and you're supposed to explore the area they're found in before you can accept the story mission where they're "actually" found.

This game's story is absolutely its weakest part. But the exploration is so fun. I could wander the world for hours.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Errrr, 24 hours before he got his giant robot? Deranged. I think I'm gonna focus on Lego Batman 3 for now. Bet he gets his cape right out of the box.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
remnant_phoenix said:
This was the funniest one in my recent memory.

Bravo, Yahtzee. And since you weren't so down on the game, I may have to give it a try. I've been burnt out on JRPGs for a while, but if this one does enough different to appease your wrath, it might be the change of pace I need.
After the first hour, prepare to say good bye to the friends, family, and world that you knew because they'd never see you again after that (Until the gamepad dies 3 hours later).

I have to admit, the game has huge problems, but it still somehow works to make it one of my favorite games of all time.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'll admit, I bought the game, super hyped for it, and I haven't played more than 20 or so minutes cuz the combat felt a little too MMORPG-y, like he said. On the other hand, you can give your character permanent clown make up and soulless void eyes, so 10/10.

Is the regular Xenoblade game similar playing?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I love both XC and XCX but I'm not going to pretend that what Yahtzee said isn't true. I love many of the aspects that he brought up. I also found it funny that he mentioned how much dialogue there is early in the game. It's like they were worried we forgot that Earth got blown up. Also the music in NLA is pretty cringy. I spend a lot of my time trying to get out of NLA, but that's where all the missions can be found.

Llarys

Aug 28, 2013
EyeReaper said:
I'll admit, I bought the game, super hyped for it, and I haven't played more than 20 or so minutes cuz the combat felt a little too MMORPG-y, like he said. On the other hand, you can give your character permanent clown make up and soulless void eyes, so 10/10.

Is the regular Xenoblade game similar playing?
Yes, the original Xenoblade Chronicles has, more-or-less, the exact same combat system: A very MMO styled ability bar with "arts" that have timed cooldowns, moves that combo with other moves (due to status effects other moves cause), etc. The side-questing is also very much similar in that most of it is...well...MMO quests: Go to area, kill xx of yy enemy, or collect ww of zz item (which is either an overworld collectible or an enemy drop).

Main difference is that Chronicles' story and characters are much stronger, while X has absolutely impressive locations and scenery that the first game simply couldn't do (lolwii).

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Pretty spot on review. I got tired of the game after about 15 hours in. Too much holding the player back. The plot and characters of the first game are far superior to X, and you're actually motivated to find out what happens, and more importantly, get revenge on Metalface and the rest of the mechon.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Pretty fair review I'd say.

I loved the hell out of the game, but the complete and utter lack of documentation was a gigantic pain in the ass. What does potential do? I have no fuckin clue, but I have a ton of it!

What are all those icons on the bottom right when you equip gear? One of thems a -70 and one is a 30. Not sure that means, I assume -70 is bad, but I havent noticed anything majorly detrimental to my gameplay so...go with it!

Nowhere is it explained that if you finish a class line you get to keep that weapon choice even if you change classes, which would have seriously reduced my anxiety if I knew that a long ass time ago.

Plus the fetch quests are fuckin stupid. If the game even remotely hinted at where any of the crap it is you need to find I wouldn't mind as much, but they dont...at all. They tell you to find this thing. Where is this thing? No fuckin clue. You get a continent to look through without any other hints. So you just wander around for literal hours pickin up blue diamonds and eventually stumble across what you need, or you look online and still wander around for 20 minutes in an area resetting it over and over because rare stuff has stupid low drop rates. Related, it took me almost 80 hours to realize I could spend support tickets at the barracks to fulfill the requirements for a lot of the fetch quests.

I love the hell out of the game, but it definitely has that Dark Souls feel to it where the game doesn't give a fuck if you don't understand it cause it wont even pretend to give a shit if its mechanics are unexplained/poorly explained/confusing as fuck.