Zero Punctuation: Yakuza 4

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
I kinda like this game. I thought of it as my personal cure for the common "Saints Row 2" rehash of "DIE DIE FUCK YOU N-censored- DIE DIE SLUTTY HO DIE". It's the kind of thing that I expected from that Godfather game but didn't quite get, thanks to the retarded-as-fuck enemy AI and waaaaaaay overpowered friendlies.

This game is a nice change of pace, is all I'm saying. And yes, that includes the "...", "Guh?", and "Nani?" lines. It's nice to have everyone have a few quiet dramatic moments once in awhile instead of screaming "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" all the time, you know? XD

P.S: I'm kinda guessing you're being sarcastic about Tanimura, Yahtzee, because the Wiki states, and I quote, "Masayoshi Tanimura (谷村 正義, Tanimura Masayoshi), a 29-year-old policeman of the Japanese National Police, he is known as "Kamurocho's Tick" for his corruption and love of gambling." And the Youtube promo also mentions "25 years ago" about his dad, so I kinda think his age in your review is incorrect. (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVhkLrzlQE )

Hate to bust your balls, buddy. [dramatic silence] Oh who am I kidding, I LOVE balls! XD

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
"Nuh? Duh? Nani?"

That's how Japanese people really talk, can't fault the game for that one.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
archvile93 said:
putowtin said:
zombie711 said:
does anyone get a "God hand" vibe from this game.

PS what is a hostess club?
a brothel where the clients don't get to sleep with the slappers, just pretend that their going out for an hour, and pay a lot for the privilage.

OT waiting for "constable Blimey Chips" to be released!
So you pay for the privilage to make it feel like you threw your money off a bridge?

OT: Some of those jokes had me burst out laughing, such as god of dentistry. Also, this game seems fairly wellgrounded in reality, and I'm assuming the other ones are too, so why does the next one supposedly involve a zombie apocolypse?
Because zombies sell. Simple as that. Oh, and also, you get to see the cast behave in a completely different manner than how you saw them in Yakuza 4. X3

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
Am I the only one that noticed Ben showing a Samaria helmet when relating to Japan? btw I refer to Yahtzee as Ben because it's so much easier to type.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Oh Yahtzee, when will make a video of Magicka? (cute puppy eyes that cause hate)

OT: I got nothing really.

KlokwerkSolja

Oct 25, 2010
Like exploration huh?

?But the gold skulltulas are scattered all over the game world, and by the time you have collected them all it'll be near the end, when most of the issues a bigger wallet could have solved will have long since passed. Anyone who went out of their way to find all the skulltulas, knowing the reward or lack of same, is a 100 percenter, and therefore mad.'

So you like gameworld exploration, but dont like hunting down gold Skulltulas. You sir are condradicting yourself.

*glares* >/

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
KlokwerkSolja said:
Like exploration huh?

?But the gold skulltulas are scattered all over the game world, and by the time you have collected them all it'll be near the end, when most of the issues a bigger wallet could have solved will have long since passed. Anyone who went out of their way to find all the skulltulas, knowing the reward or lack of same, is a 100 percenter, and therefore mad.'

So you like gameworld exploration, but dont like hunting down gold Skulltulas. You sir are condradicting yourself.

*glares* >/
He doesn't like the reward behind them down. I believe the last reward you get from finding every last one is 200 rupees.

powell86

Mar 19, 2009
Am I the only one who lolled when Yahtzee said "Nani"? Haha having him speaking jap is hilarious.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
Okay, I know you, Yahtzee, don't care about this individual's opinion since you have legions of fans who'd knock you out, drag you back to their home, and pull a Misery on your ankles as soon as look at you, but:

I love Yakuza 4. Sega did marvelous with this final installment and everyone who bought Yakuza 4 full price thinks the same. Now, here's the bit that (if you cared) matters to you:

This was a good review! Not great since you don't seem to understand most of those noises and facial expressions made are actual Japanese mannerisms (and "nani" means "what?", unless you do know but played ignorant for the quite funny joke), but very good. You did your job, your mic was proper, your jokes were mostly hits, and the points you picked on were all valid (I thought of that last joke when I first played Yakuza 4 too, actually XD).
_There was a while where everything you did was shit. Your mic was muffled, you seemed to barely give a shit about playing the game, even to the climax, and for every rare funny joke there were two to three dick jokes (or dick similes). Lately you've been doing great, and my friends and I have been thoroughly enjoying your show. Please keep on this witty and informative run you're on!

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Scud422 said:
Now all Yahtzee has to review is one of the many Quake games to complete the alphabet. Either that or Q-Bert.
Hell, this or someone make a game called Q! Good, bad, meh, even worse than Kane & Lynch 2, whatever, someone just make it and get Zero Punctuation to review it!

Futurenerd said:
Now taking bets! How long before someone makes a NuhDuhNani remix!?
If you ask me, I personally think DuhNuhNani sounds better than NuhDuhNani.

So... Visual novel.... Visual novel w/o tits.... Dare I ask what the next item on that list is, Croshaw!?

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
Is it just me or does this episode in fact have visuals distinctively above the already high fun rating of ZP?

Batsamaritan said:
Kung fu is the generic term for all matial arts.
No, it is not. Budo is.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
That should be an eventual badge. "A to ZP" Watch the entire Zero Punctuation Alphabet.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Batsamaritan said:
A1 said:
orangecharger said:
Bwahahahaa -- nice opening loved it! "Japanese are into some crazy shit!" right after a heartfelt balanced statement over the recent tragedy -- ah Yahtzee you cheeky bastard -- Another good quote "sumptuous fruit basket for your fist" -- Milk. Nose. Mess. I wasn't going to buy this game anyways - having watched the earlier Escapist review -- but now I am definitely not. I don't want to read the bottom of my tv for the sake of "realism". Realism where I am a kung fu god single handling kicking the ass off of everyone as long as I am in the right place to do it. Pshhhfft. Meh.
It's not about "realism" as few if any video games are truly realistic, it's about authenticity. When a game takes place in Japan it's only logical that the people actually speak Japanese.

And Kung Fu is Chinese, not Japanese.
Kung fu is the generic term for all matial arts. Therfore Karate is a form of kung fu.
Its CHINESE Martial Arts, while still broad, it really just refers to ones from China. Kirate is not from China.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Batsamaritan said:
A1 said:
orangecharger said:
Bwahahahaa -- nice opening loved it! "Japanese are into some crazy shit!" right after a heartfelt balanced statement over the recent tragedy -- ah Yahtzee you cheeky bastard -- Another good quote "sumptuous fruit basket for your fist" -- Milk. Nose. Mess. I wasn't going to buy this game anyways - having watched the earlier Escapist review -- but now I am definitely not. I don't want to read the bottom of my tv for the sake of "realism". Realism where I am a kung fu god single handling kicking the ass off of everyone as long as I am in the right place to do it. Pshhhfft. Meh.
It's not about "realism" as few if any video games are truly realistic, it's about authenticity. When a game takes place in Japan it's only logical that the people actually speak Japanese.

And Kung Fu is Chinese, not Japanese.
Kung fu is the generic term for all matial arts. Therfore Karate is a form of kung fu.
That's not exactly true. Kung Fu is a generic term for all Chinese Martial Arts. It doesn't include martial arts from other places like Japan, Thailand, or Korea to name a few.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Scud422 said:
Now all Yahtzee has to review is one of the many Quake games to complete the alphabet. Either that or Q-Bert.
can i point out the irony of ppl in japan playing Quake??

xdj220

Jun 7, 2010
If you're actually interested (based on the end tag), Yakuza is pronounced basically how it looks, but kind of flat. There is no stress in Japanese... So it's not YaKUza.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
redbeta22 said:
Why are Japanese games full of weird reaction noises? Wah? Huh? I've always thought they were there because of the translation from Japanese to English, but if they're in the Japanese VO as well? Could somebody explain?
Similar to how American movies go What?RUN!and shiiiiii-!.