Zombie MMO's: Yes or No?

Weasellord21

Apr 8, 2009
The reason im asking is a group of friends from the infomatics departent at IU bloomington are thinking about making one and this was one of the possible games wed be making.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
yes. yes! YES!

Also about the quests/missions bit...they could just be things your character "thinks" if you know what I mean?

Like when you first login, the first quest would be "Find a water supply" or somthing

Mordrid99

Apr 8, 2009
IF done correctly, it would work. The lore for the game has to be pretty strong, open world sandbox with limited questing, skill based, full loot. You would need more than just zombie mobs as well or it would get stale.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Can't we just RP in Left 4 Dead? Or just play Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead is good.

Devilpapaya

Apr 3, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Can't we just RP in Left 4 Dead? Or just play Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead is good.
It is good, but something a little more open, less get from A to B, would be a good game; If it were done right.

Weasellord21

Apr 8, 2009
Ok next person that mentions that we should just make l4d a mmo is getting pistol whipped, this is not about the awesome game that is l4d, go start your own l4d forum if you want to.

Abako

Jun 30, 2008
Well, I made a thread with something like this a long time ago, heres the link:

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.69587[/link]

Its my pitch for a zombie MMO

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
Pretty sick of zombies in general at this point,so no thanks.
Me too. Zombies are seriously hitting saturation point in our culture, especially in video games. Zombies are starting to become the new Nazis.

Oh, and good news: they're making another Wolfenstein game so we can fully immerse ourselves in the overused standbys of the video game world.

MoganFreeman

Jan 28, 2009
voirdire said:
I think they already have. I can't remember the name, but it's pretty much text based with limited graphics. Someone probably knows what I'm talking about.
Urban Dead. I played it awhile back but it failed to hold my interest.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
How about a game were you have to see how long you can survive against an endless zombie onslaught? In a large sandbox area, as other people have said picking up supplies etc etc, with safe havens which don't add to your score. So it would literally be Enter Area ---> you lasted 4 days before being eaten by your uncle. And people can cooperate for bigger scores.

Shattubatu

May 13, 2008
voirdire: Well you're going to have to have 'quests' or 'missions' or something to make things interesting. It's kind of like playing GTA but without any story.

How about, "Find 19 other survivers and start a village/stronghold"? And then "Find a cure" perhaps. IDK though, these were just off the top of my head, I'm sure that if someone really thinks hard, tonnes of unique quests could be made that are much more interesting than "Get me 10 zombie arms"

If this every gets made, I hope it's not too easy to kill zombies. I want it to be realistic, as if it was actually happening, i.e. even 1 lone zombie could be fatal if you are unprepared.

Freestyle270

Mar 20, 2009
Hrm... not sure what the staying power of pure zombie combat would be. Great for gimmicky games to occupy time for a couple of months, but for an MMO, I don't see that going too far.

cipher_nemo

Apr 8, 2009
A zombie MMO would be an epic failure in my book. Sorry to disagree, but I don't see this theme going anywhere. There are plenty of online zombie-killing titles out there, but not enough substance/background to develop for a deep MMO.

pillag3

Feb 25, 2009
if there was some kind of built your own shelter type thing along with gunplay that would be alright

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
It wouldn't be an epic failure if you had elves and dwarfs,every decent MMO has to have one or both of them. LoTRo,WoW,Guild Wars,Everquest ( I think, I don't know never played it,I'm just assuming because it sounds pretty generic).

Formula for a successful MMO = Elves+ Shiny items and armor + dwarfs which may or may not like the elves + repetitive quests and missions.

We just take it one step further with the zombies.

Weasellord21

Apr 8, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
It wouldn't be an epic failure if you had elves and dwarfs,every decent MMO has to have one or both of them. LoTRo,WoW,Guild Wars,Everquest ( I think, I don't know never played it,I'm just assuming because it sounds pretty generic).

Formula for a successful MMO = Elves+ Shiny items and armor + dwarfs which may or may not like the elves + repetitive quests and missions.

We just take it one step further with the zombies.
you need to be pistol whipped