ZP lost its edge?

Thediscoducky

Apr 17, 2008
I still love it, every Wednesday on my way home I keep asking myself : "what will he review THIS week?" and such tomfooleries. I personally like it when he swears less, gives it a more serious tone rather then just mindless nitpicking, it's fine when he swears to prove a point though.

And no, he hasn't lost his edge, Resident Evil 5 was one of the funniest reviews ever, and that was barely a few weeks ago.

Thediscoducky

Apr 17, 2008
toapat said:
the problem isnt with ZP, its the material ZP is given to slander. Yahtzee hasnt been given games that he can give his total fury to for a while. i more blame this on the fact that 2009 has been dedicated to counteracting the near total shit year of 2008 in gaming(only 2 desent games came out last year, Gears of War 2 and Spore)
Bwahaha. Gears 2 and Spore...
Good one.
Whereas I respect that each can have his opinion, I don't respect Gears for pushing nothing new and Spore for being...crap. It's over withing lunch hour and more then twice that will be spent fixing glitches. It's just so unpolished and unfinished and other un words.

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
It is still funny, the only complaint I have is that I miss when he used different music for every episode instead of the (cool, but not as catchy) ZP theme.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
NO ZP BECAME THE SAME AS THE MARIO FRANCHISE!!! OH THE IRONY!!! Hopefully, Yahtzee may see this coming and bring fresh material to the table. Lets not lose faith yet, if it's true then lets have the decencies to put him out his misery before he becomes the thing he hates the most. However, I still like him and don't see the drop. I still think he has a long way to go before he needs to refresh himself or die before he turns into a horrible franchise...like Nintendo.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Papopapo456 said:
It is still funny, the only complaint I have is that I miss when he used different music for every episode instead of the (cool, but not as catchy) ZP theme.
Agreed, part of the entertainment value was seeing what music had been chosen to go along with the game of the week. Still, I suppose when you have to choose between the use of your own music and that of someone else's without their permission, the choice is quite clear...:)

Tullio

Dec 12, 2008
I'll be honest, I stopped watching a while back. I felt his "reviews" had little integrity AS reviews - there was a slow but steady shift from revewing a game to shamelessly annoying people for the hell of it and I'd had enough. Like many internet personalities, Yahtzee doesn't need to do any more than that since he has a big following of fanboys who will worship his every word regardless. The constant tired Wii-bashing, repeatedly playing games he knew he wouldn't like, the deliberate ignorance in one case ... all of this got more than I was prepared to put up with so I just stopped watching.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I have no problems with ZP.

I don't laugh while watching it. I don't think he's that funny. However, I still enjoy watching it. Maybe it's because I have nothing to do on Wednesdays.

So while it has gotten repetitive, I don't think it's horrible.

Jejbe

May 6, 2009
I thought the same at first. But after playing a couple of the games he has reviewed, and going back to look at the videos there's a whole different layer of jokes and such. I still find every episode very entertaining.

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
Zero Punctuation may not be the funniest thing I've ever watched, but I still come back routinely to watch his videos. They help me find new games, and they give me new views on games I love. (Mirror's Edge is a good example.) I'm one of those people that researches games thoroughly before buying, and ZP has always helped me in my research. My conclusion is that ZP is starting to get old, but I don't think the videos have "completely burned out."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think ZP is still pretty good, I look forward to checking it out at the apex of the weekly hill. :p

Like anyone who's been around a while, Yahtzee's stuff varies in quality.

I think part of the problem might be that to begin with Yahtzee more or less got to pick what he reviewed and as he constantly mentions he only gets to do what HE wants in between luls in the release schedule. Comments on things like "Super Smash Brother Brawl" and things like that have lead me to this conclusion a long time ago.

Truthfully "Siren" seems to be the first game in a long while that he wanted to review that hasn't been all that wonderful. I also notice his review coincided with a sale of the Siren series on PSN, so of course there might have been pressure from that direction as well.

It also comes down to the fact that the shock value is wearing off on long time viewers (we're becoming jaded to it) and also the fact that Yahtzee seems to be chilling out a lot probably because of the notoriety. Ultimatly the more over the top comments are recycled from other bits in many cases, I'd imagine because he can defend that by saying "hey I did that before anyone cared" and sort of grandfather clause it.

Just some thoughts.

I'm actually a bit more concerned that we're going to lose Yahtzee due to HIM being burned out which could also be a factor. I mean honestly, he gets thousands of views every week, and puts one of these out every week. I'd imagine after a while it stops being "just for fun" and becomes a job like any other.

>>>----Therumancer--->

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I still watch it whenever I manage to remember.

But... well... it's really not funny anymore.
And I think he's succumbing to Southpark Syndrome: an entire episode is spent being mostly serious, and turns out to just be a lead-up to a single hit-or-miss joke at the end.

RapidCrash

Apr 30, 2009
I think ZP might do better if he did different games. I would have to say Unskippable is the bigger abuser of this, but some of the games reviewed are a little... bad? How about more popular games instead of something I've never heard and will forget about 5 min after watching it.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
its the commerciality, as much as he would say otherwise, he has to do what those who pay him want and, as such, has lost his edge.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Maraveno said:
Avida said:
Im not so sure, yes the recent videos havnt been as good but i thought this beforeand he made a comeback IMO. I think its also party to do with his material bringing far less surprise then it used to now we've memorised the formula.
he should quit reviewing unfamiliar or at least the not-as-important games..
Why? Its normally when he's in his element.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Yeah, It's lost it's edge alright. Just as a lot of shows get, they get repetitive. Plus now it feels a lot more..."commercialized" than it used to be. Sorta like when a band is real good, then they release something good that everyone thinks is awesome and the band sells out. Like Metallica.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
I can't help but believe that the majority of people who find Yahtzee boring have had their favourite game reviewed by him.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
Ishnuvalok said:
Yeah, It's lost it's edge alright. Just as a lot of shows get, they get repetitive. Plus now it feels a lot more..."commercialized" than it used to be. Sorta like when a band is real good, then they release something good that everyone thinks is awesome and the band sells out. Like Metallica.
Except Metallica were sellouts after their first album.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
raxiv said:
Kanashe said:
Yes, yes it has. Your not the only one amigo, ZP has trully reached it's end. Let's face it, the jokes stopped being funny and became repetative/old matearil but with different pattersn slapped on it. Yahtzee himselfe went from a reviewer to a simple ranting troll who has an ego the size of Germany.
Inb4 flame.

I think its not as fresh as before, that's true. But taking the credit away from Yahtzee's work is a no. Look how many people enjoy him every week.
Took the words out of my mouth........