Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

The classic strategy title returns on Facebook and Zynga later this year.

Despite its flaws, 2004's Evil Genius remains a fondly remembered title. It took the whole Dungeon Keeper management simulator and painted it in 60's super-spy psychedelica. So what if I told you that it's returning later this year as [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/8/4603674/rebellion-bringing-evil-genius-online-for-facebook-and-zynga]Evil Genius Online[/a] ? Pretty cool, eh? No, it's not thanks to Kickstarter, it's Zynga! Wait, don't go!

The original game had players construct secret lairs filled with traps, torture chambers, and laboratories as they sent minions out to conduct evil on a global scale. Hosted on Facebook and Zynga.com, Evil Genius Online aims to stay true to the original and allow players to "form evil syndicates, send spies to rival lairs and share rare and crucial items in the form of bribes." If that sounds too much like every other "social" game, don't worry, because it's got the original game's sense of humor. Humor's cool, right?

"As an independent developer, it's crucial that we really explore free-to-play beyond mobile games," announced Rebellion CEO and creative director Jason Kingsley. "We challenged a small team here in our Oxford studio to create a social game that was not only compelling, but technically impressive and we just kept coming back to Evil Genius - the lair construction, the strategy, the humor - it was just a perfect fit."

Those interested in seeing for themselves just how Rebellion plans to pull this caper off can sign up for the closed beta [a href=https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EGO-BETA]here[/a]. Be fast, as Rebellion is only taking 500 applications!

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/8/4603674/rebellion-bringing-evil-genius-online-for-facebook-and-zynga]Polygon[/a]

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I loved that game. To see it being violated by Zynga is just... wrong. Multiplayer feels like a natural expansion for this kind of game, but "Social games" just leave a bad taste in my mouth. They carry connotations of pay-to-win dynamics and stupid gimmicks to drag in new players. I can't help but feel like this is the direction we're going, because I honestly can't recall a Zynga game that didn't stick to the Farmville format, and there's no way I'm playing another of those. Even if it does have a paintjob in the style of one of my favorite older games.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
"Social game" has become pretty much a derogatory term by now. Who thought that labelling it as such would be a good idea?

sid

Jan 22, 2013
So it's literally clash of clans? Why must every zynga game be a response to another game

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Nooooooooooooooooooo, Oh gods why!?

I loved Evil Genius, yeah it sucked in parts but it was really really awesome.

Why must the things I love be twisted so!

*Breaks down into sobbing mess*

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I literally grimaced in dismay upon reading the headline.

I wanted another Evil Genius game, but not like this...not like this...

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
That's too bad. I really liked Evil Genius, and to see it fall into the hands of Zynga is depressing.

I guess we can kiss any chances of a real sequel goodbye, then.

water_cat1

Mar 30, 2010
No! Why would they do this? It's sad to see such potential turned into a Zynga social game :/

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
The odd thing is that I think its association with Zynga is what's killing it here. Sure, some of that stuff sounds kinda iffy, but Zynga actually hosts some non-farmville-esque games from other companies. Not many, but it's still a popular portal for a certain audience. That said, once you're outside that (rapidly shrinking) audience, it's pretty much poison.

LosButcher

May 19, 2009
What is the problem here? Evil Genius still works fine and is even on steam and everything.
The old game is not dead and still a lot of fun :)

I will shove this news into the drawer of things that were never created (Along with Plants VS Zombies 2 and Sim City 5)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I NEVER WANTED THIS! D:

Sometimes, the gaming world is just cruel. This is one of those days.

<youtube=ZxcPNcAtg_M&start=610&end=623&autoplay=1>

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
LosButcher said:
What is the problem here? Evil Genius still works fine and is even on steam and everything.
The old game is not dead and still a lot of fun :)

I will shove this news into the drawer of things that were never created (Along with Plants VS Zombies 2 and Sim City 5)
Yup, don't know about other international markets but it's £6.99 (approx. $10.85) in the UK on Steam, or $9.99 on GOG for a DRM-free version bundled with some extras.