Zynga to sue DC over the name 'SmallVille'

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I think zynga is going to sue a few cities withen a 50 mile radious of me now...

How long has superman been running? Sense the 40s?
How long has zynga existed? Sense facebook became popular.

Tell me who wins in your mind.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Wait, so Zynga owns capital V's? Well if that's the case, i'ma buy the rights to air, you fuckers owe me BIG TIME!!!!

SSoSFAGTiaCaGwaP

Mar 11, 2011
I don't really like Zynga, but I do agree that DC should decapitalise the V. Why did they suddenly decide to make it capital anyway?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Tharwen said:
sub]Psst! It's Trademark[/sub]
Not in a strictly legal sense per se but same difference. Copyright violation, trademark infringement, it's cash-grab litigation ahoy either way.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
"In short, we will not drop our charges till DC drops the capitalized 'V' in 'SmallVille'.
Wait, what. That's absolutely absurd. It's the capital letter that makes all the difference? what is it with the sudden increase of sueing over really stupid reasons lately >_>

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Years researching games, eh, Zynga? Couldn't have taken minutes to research the origin of Smallville and realise you're going fucking nowhere, I take it.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
as silly as this sounds, I'm actually with Zynga on this one.

If DC is using a capitalized Ville in their facebook social app, then that is certainly stepping on Zynga's feet.

However, if they lowercase the V, then Zynga has no ground to stand on - DC has owned the term "smallville" longer then Zynga has claimed ownership of Ville

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Brian Hendershot said:
There is no meme or Youtube video that can properly convey how stupid of an idea this is and how funny I think it is.
Oh, I think there's one on this page that adequately expresses it ;)

You have checked the OP I assume?
I dunno man...not even a Futurama reference was enough. Maybe I am just dumbfounded by the whole situation.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
I should check sources before I post. The fact still remains however that Zynga are dumbarses.

Well played.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
"Zynga has spent years on researching and developing innovative and original games. It's very unfortunate when <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.293083-Zynga-Sues-Brazilian-Copy-Cat-Developer-for-MegaCity?page=1>other studios try to leech off our efforts. We must bring an end to these endeavors."
One problem there, Zynga. Smallville was a trademarked name for a show that began over ten damn years ago. You have no case here, beyond money grubbing and idiotic lawyers in your legal department.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Send in the Marines
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.316198-Assailant-suffers-injuries-from-fall#12851827

Oh Zygna, they just fell of a curb.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I assume that DC did it on purpose, knowing Zynga would sue, to advertise. Whatever ends up getting exchanged in court 15 years from now will be pocket change in comparison to the advertising campaign needed to convince people it's not another boring social media game.

I guess it could possibly have been just to siphon off of Zynga's bored housewife fanbase, but that just doesn't make as much sense. It needs to be at least a little more devious and cunning than that.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Are they REALLY so stupid that they don't realize SmallVille came out EIGHT YEARS before FarmVille?

*FACEPALM*
No wait, not good enough.
*DOUBLE FACEPALM*
*FACEDESK*
*BANG SPLAT*

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ser Imp said:
Looks like it's a vendetta for V!
In soviet russia...

I don't know who's more of a dick, Zynga for bring this issue up at all since not only is smallville associated with superman in comics its also associated by way of... you know that long running TV show that was stamped into the public consciousness, or DC for not just fucking agreeing to make the V lower case, it's a frigging easy fix you pigheads!.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Before people start making raging posts about wanting to take control of the "ville" part, read the entire First Post.

It says, that their case rests on the whole capital V part: "In short, we will not drop our charges till DC drops the capitalized 'V' in 'SmallVille'. Now look at the title of Smallville. It's all caps. Nowhere in their original trademark do DC use the capital V, as far as I can see. Which would indicate that their product is attempting to ape Zynga's, possibly for profit. To not drop the capital V would seem indicate an ulterior motive(Gaining custom through false recognition), as it doesn't seem that a capital V has an important place in either Smallville or DC.

And come one, who really expects a browser based social game by DC to be something extravagant and exciting? It's likely a Mafiawars clone or a FarmVille clone ANYWAY. Remember the Assassin's Creed Browser game...? The X-Men browser game? Dodgy games made to cash in on recognisable characters.

Whatever the merits of the games that are being debated, the issue is that DC have replicated an element of a series of trademarks for a product in a the same market. That's grounds for the case, it's a sensible move. Not only that, copyright holders are obliged to defend their copyrights, which is exactly what is happening here.

Calm down people. Whether or not you like DC comics, it isn't the writers making this game, it's someone who realised Casual Games make a ton of cash in the management trying to break into a new market with slightly underhanded sales tactics.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
So...they think people are going to confuse Smallville for a facebook game? Really? They are kidding right? I think pretty much everyone knows that Smallville is where Superman grew up, especially since the TV show came out. I am wondering why they're suddenly spelling it with a capital V though. They may be trying to get the attention of facebookers (is that the right name?) but I doubt it would work anyway.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
At first I thought it was funny, but now that I've read it, I think Zynga's got a case...

Yes well all know that Superman landed in Smallville, Kansas; however I really think that DC was trying to cash in on Zynga's games. Why? because there is absolutely nothing to do in Smallville, so why would we play a game based in Smallville called SmallVille? There are much more interesting places to be than Smallville in the Superman mythos. Everyone knows a majority of Zynga's games are _____Ville and DC is trying to use that to their advantage.

Yes, I know, we hate Zynga and love Superman, but DC is in the wrong here. SmallVille is a game that is in the same genre and platform as a whole collection of Zynga games.

"In short, we will not drop our charges till DC drops the capitalized 'V' in 'SmallVille'.
And if DC don't think that there will be any confusion, why don't they lowercase the 'V'? Problem solved.