Status
Not open for further replies.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
If you can beat a man to death with a humans relatively soft fists and feet which are only made of meat and bone you can certainly do it much more easily with rubber bullets.
Removing any high ground they had over the burning basement nice and fast. Honestly more upset at this than the fire. A building’s a building but this is gassing church leaders while they were trying to serve their community so you could take a damn photo.
Of course they did. When you watch him walk down the street how do you think the streets got so empty all of a sudden?

Sad thing is that I honestly don't think he had to do this to get his walk. If he'd come out peacefully its not like you'd expect a crowd he treated with peace would want to tear him apart. They aren't there to murder him.

But I think in general that the conservative mindset is very fearful at its core, they act tough but everything scares them its why they conserve so much they even fear change.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
For the vast majority of human (well, hominid) history, there is little to no evidence that humans fought each other at all.
The number of human remains that show evidence of death via weapon beg to differ. I'd also ask our other human species about that, but they're not around anymore to speak for themselves.

I'll grant you that as population goes up, violence tends to increase, though it's been observed that the percentage of the population that's wiped out in conflict goes down.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia

The cops struck Australian media, the reporter and cameraman.They discuss it at around 1:30

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

The cops struck Australian media, the reporter and cameraman.They discuss it at around 1:30
Jesus Christ. I'd seen the clip but I had no idea they weren't American. That could be some pretty big trouble for those cops.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Why, what's going on down there?
Nothing on the scale of the US, but we've had a Black Lives Matter rally in Sydney, with promises that similar events will be held in other cities as well. It's partly out of solidarity with what's going on with the US, partly due to the plight of indigenous Australians on a number of fronts, mainly deaths in custody. That already on the cusp of Rio Tinto destroying an Aboriginal sacred site dating back 40,000 years.

There's plenty of valid reasons to protest in these situations, but if George Floyd's death has shown anything, the straw breaking the camel's back can cause far more than one proverbial camel to keel over. So I'm wary of Oz acting all high and mighty right now when there's similar issues to deal with here, even if police brutality isn't among them (or at least nowhere on the same scale).

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Now it's personal...

GET EM SCOMO!!!
Scotty from Marketing won't say shit it'd be too controversial he might piss off some of his more conservative voters by badmouthing Trump...

Nothing on the scale of the US, but we've had a Black Lives Matter rally in Sydney, with promises that similar events will be held in other cities as well. It's partly out of solidarity with what's going on with the US, partly due to the plight of indigenous Australians on a number of fronts, mainly deaths in custody. That already on the cusp of Rio Tinto destroying an Aboriginal sacred site dating back 40,000 years.

There's plenty of valid reasons to protest in these situations, but if George Floyd's death has shown anything, the straw breaking the camel's back can cause far more than one proverbial camel to keel over. So I'm wary of Oz acting all high and mighty right now when there's similar issues to deal with here, even if police brutality isn't among them (or at least nowhere on the same scale).
It is very concerning. I'm not particularly worried about riots since our cops don't provoke groups by attacking them as much as USA cops, but Covid-19 is still out there. Anyone of them attending these protests could be part of a cluster of cases unknown to our medical experts. Asymptomatic carriers exist after all.

Honestly any kind of protesting should be put on hold until next year.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Scotty from Marketing won't say shit it'd be too controversial he might piss off some of his more conservative voters by badmouthing Trump...

It is very concerning. I'm not particularly worried about riots since our cops don't provoke groups by attacking them as much as USA cops, but Covid-19 is still out there. Anyone of them attending these protests could be part of a cluster of cases unknown to our medical experts. Asymptomatic carriers exist after all.

our protesters in Australia only tend to hold up our road traffic i find.

damn protesters...

Last edited:

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
our protesters in Australia only tend hold up our road traffic i find.

damn protesters...
I think work related protests with things like pay issues work pretty well in Australia. Though I admit I have no proof on hand lol.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I'm not too worried about Covid at this point. That, at least, the country's done well on. And while I'm on the opposite side of the political spectrum from ScoMo, credit where credit is due, he's handled the crisis well.

But on the issue of police. Even if police don't use force as readily here as they do in the US, they're still police, and still targets, and it's very easy to assume the situation in the US is the same in other countries. For instance, I remember a BLM protest being held in the UK over a US death, despite the number of police deaths being so low in the UK (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom), that should be a non-issue. I'm not about to shout Blue Lives Matter, but as someone who's had to call in the police to deal with various situations, and whose mother was only a few blocks away from the Lindt Cafe siege when it came down, I'm far more sympathetic towards them than I think a few other people are. Yes, police don't act perfectly 100% of the time, but having seen some of the shit they have to deal with, then, yeah.

Again, I think it's perfectly valid to protest racism in Australia, because it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I'd also rather have a society with police than without them.

I think work related protests with things like pay issues work pretty well in Australia. Though I admit I have no proof on hand lol.
The Union gave me a sweet deal with work cover. Protests in the past seem to have done their job for me, and now, for the last three month, I got to kick back and enjoy the spoils. :p

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
our protesters in Australia only tend to hold up our road traffic i find.

damn protesters...
Look on the bright side, Covid has shown us that most of us can work at home. Driving to work has been a dream til a couple of weeks ago

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
i get why people put on protests in Melbourne, but if you're going to hold up all the trams and the general car traffic in the city without giving the police any notice that you protesters are going to be there, then all you're doing is just pissing the general public off, not so much as helping the cause no matter what the protest is about whenever one happens in my city

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Look on the bright side, Covid has shown us that most of us can work at home. Driving to work has been a dream til a couple of weeks ago
i'm an essential full time worker not working from home AND i'm barely making much more than some unemployed schmoe on the dole right now.
screw jobkeeper.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I'm not too worried about Covid at this point. That, at least, the country's done well on. And while I'm on the opposite side of the political spectrum from ScoMo, credit where credit is due, he's handled the crisis well.

But on the issue of police. Even if police don't use force as readily here as they do in the US, they're still police, and still targets, and it's very easy to assume the situation in the US is the same in other countries. For instance, I remember a BLM protest being held in the UK over a US death, despite the number of police deaths being so low in the UK (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom), that should be a non-issue. I'm not about to shout Blue Lives Matter, but as someone who's had to call in the police to deal with various situations, and whose mother was only a few blocks away from the Lindt Cafe siege when it came down, I'm far more sympathetic towards them than I think a few other people are. Yes, police don't act perfectly 100% of the time, but having seen some of the shit they have to deal with, then, yeah.

Again, I think it's perfectly valid to protest racism in Australia, because it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I'd also rather have a society with police than without them.

The Union gave me a sweet deal with work cover. Protests in the past seem to have done their job for me, and now, for the last three month, I got to kick back and enjoy the spoils. :p
You might not be worried about covid-19. But out nations health experts still are or the lockdowns would already be completely over....

I'm not saying something impossible. Its not impossible that one thread of infection managed to sneak by this far without symptoms having passed from asymptomatic to asymptomatic and then being carried in a person who breaks social distancing rules for the first in the middle of a crowd they could infect tens or maybe even a hundred people.Many of whom become asymptomatic and spread it further without ever knowing.

I'm not saying its definitely going to happen but it isn't impossible that it won't happen once somewhere in the entire country. Maybe I sound paranoid but I think paranoia is how you fight viruses.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That already on the cusp of Rio Tinto destroying an Aboriginal sacred site dating back 40,000 years.
Yeah, I read about that. Rio Tinto apologised with a "Oh we're terribly sorry, we totally respect your culture and we promise to work harder to make sure we don't blow your sacred stuff up in future." Which I can't help but feel is a bit like those property developers who own land with a listed building of historical importance. But then one day that listed building mysteriously (wink) burns down one day so, oh well, I guess they'll just have to replace it with that massively profitable luxury apartment block.

Or as the saying goes, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Another update apparently some-one decided to try and use their car as a weapon against Police lines

2 officers down 1 of which could be serious as the vehicle went right over them.

This will not help the situation on the ground.
A taste of their own medicine, then?

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not about to shout Blue Lives Matter, but as someone who's had to call in the police to deal with various situations, and whose mother was only a few blocks away from the Lindt Cafe siege when it came down, I'm far more sympathetic towards them than I think a few other people are. Yes, police don't act perfectly 100% of the time, but having seen some of the shit they have to deal with, then, yeah.
I'm broadly sympathetic to police officers on an individual level and appreciate it's often an immensely difficult job. But at an institutional level, like nearly all organisations, the organisation's' self-defence and self-interest often seems to take precedent, and that's particularly painful for the organisations upholding the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.