Status
Not open for further replies.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
We fully expect the police to forcibly arrest violent rioters setting cars on fire. We don't expect them to invade shelters looking after the homeless or trash medical stations and destroy their bottled water and medical supplies, not least because that stuff's often counterproductive.

I appreciate facing down an angry and abusive - albeit not seriously violent - crowd can be a scary and difficult thing. Keeping cool whilst someone screams in your face, spits at you and throws water on you is difficult. On the other hand, it's also what I expect a police officer to be trained to handle. Driving a car into them is just the crowd control equivalent of tasing a guy because he's got a sulky expression whilst answering questions.
They're approaching this from a "total war" or "war on terrorism" stance...they're out to destroy protesters' support, logistics, and aid networks, and clearly have demonstrated an attitude protesters are to be treated as enemy combatants, albeit ones not subject to rules of engagement or humane treatment. Targeting "agitators" for removal or arrest -- when and where agitators are not law enforcement -- would be counterproductive to their ends and calculi, because that violence and destruction is a useful tool for delegitimizing protest and justifying police brutality against protest. Which is why police are prioritizing one target, but not the other.

Now, otherwise, let me just dig into my reservoir of Proud American Conservative Talking Points™...if they don't like their job, the way they're treated, or their coworkers, well by golly gee they can just quit now can't they. Nobody's forcing them to be cops.

I agree this is not the first time. I'd also point out that Obama had lots of protest, the biggest ones probably being Ferguson, Occupy and Tea Party. None of them turn stupendously violent like they are know. Bush and Clinton didn't have anything like this either. Somehow, they manage to deal with protest without it getting out of hand.
The Rodney King riots were so violent and expansive, Marines had to be deployed after state and federal law enforcement, and the CA Guard, failed to contain them. The Guard had to be called in to both Ferguson and Baltimore.

The only thing the tea party was swarmed and kettled by, were news crews. Funny how there wasn't national unrest and mass law enforcement deployment when government buildings and abortion clinics just kept spontaneously combusting during the Clinton administration, either.

But I suppose you're right, the Bush II admin didn't face mass, violent protests. Ah, the halcyon days of preemptive riot control by herding protesters into cages, blocking press access to or around those cages, and surrounding protesters by guards carrying live rounds. True American civility and competent governance.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
They're approaching this from a "total war" or "war on terrorism" stance...they're out to destroy protesters' support, logistics, and aid networks, and clearly have demonstrated an attitude protesters are to be treated as enemy combatants, albeit ones not subject to rules of engagement or humane treatment. Targeting "agitators" for removal or arrest -- when and where agitators are not law enforcement -- would be counterproductive to their ends and calculi, because that violence and destruction is a useful tool for delegitimizing protest and justifying police brutality against protest. Which is why police are prioritizing one target, but not the other.

Now, otherwise, let me just dig into my reservoir of Proud American Conservative Talking Points™...if they don't like their job, the way they're treated, or their coworkers, well by golly gee they can just quit now can't they. Nobody's forcing them to be cops.
I would by no means claim that the UK is some paragon of awesome police-community relationships - there have been one hell of a lot of abuses and screw-ups as there have anywhere. However, I do think that the British principle of "policing by consent", even if frequently not lived up to, does at least influence police attitudes to some degree in a positive way. Trying to recognise that police are part of a greater whole, and that the law works best with mutual respect and building trust and healthy relationships between the police and the general populace. Thus I think the British police can put slightly more effort into resolving problems without resorting to force, or limiting force when it is deemed necessary, than many other countries' police.

The only thing the tea party was swarmed and kettled by, were news crews.
The tea party rallies were orderly in the way that comfortable people with ultimately petty concerns tend to be. "I'm affluent, middle class, live in a low crime area with a huge house, but dang it, I'm SO MAD that taxes aren't even lower!" Half them are too old and out of shape to be throwing dustbins, and the other half have no intention of endangering their middle-class lifestyles with a criminal conviction.

We had a similar situation about 20 years ago in the UK when some group called the "Countryside Alliance" had marches to protest their ill-treatment (basically, the government banned the hopelessly archaic bloodsport of choice for toffs, fox-hunting). The press swooned at how nice they were, and of course they were: bunch of well-heeled poshos passing themselves off as a victimised minority because they couldn't slaughter animals as freely as they liked. It's not exactly anger at getting arbitrarily murdered by the authorities and struggling to feed your family.

Reactions: Silvanus

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I think the word you're looking for is "charity". You can tell the biases in the writing when the non-hierarchial nature of the commune is applauded (while actually the owner of the facilities is, in fact, facilitating them, not just in opening the space, but in coordinating the operations, instructing the volunteers how to run a hotel.)

The propaganda is getting real old. At least one of the people in that hotel is there because rioters set his car on fire. But man, can you churn out some volume of content about how evil police are and how great not having police is. It's almost like that was the point of all those self-proclaimed anarcho-communists going out in masks and breaking things and painting anarchy symbols and instigating violence before backing away and filming the effects of their own actions.
"The police are the only violent people. There's no fighting in anarcho-communism"
Sir, have you seen my goat? It is a very terrific goat. Never too loud. Very athletic. Full of energy. Truly a scholar among goats. But it is missing. I have lost my goat good sir. My beautiful goat. And I wish I still had it.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
HOLD THE PROTESTS!

We have it on good authority that this is a great day for George Floyd. He must be looking down from heaven thinking it's a great thing that's happened for everybody. A great day for him, a great day for everybody.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sir, have you seen my goat? It is a very terrific goat. Never too loud. Very athletic. Full of energy. Truly a scholar among goats. But it is missing. I have lost my goat good sir. My beautiful goat. And I wish I still had it.
I only know of one very terrific goat, and she's half woman.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
HOLD THE PROTESTS!

We have it on good authority that this is a great day for George Floyd. He must be looking down from heaven thinking it's a great thing that's happened for everybody. A great day for him, a great day for everybody.
I don't like hate in my heart, but I unequivocally hate Trump. I hate him.

Floyd is dead. The world is as a whole tired of Police Brutality and the Government's allowance of it. And this 'president' is going to name drop Floyd during a live patting on the back because of job numbers?!

I will never wish Trump harm, but if I never heard from him again I wouldn't bat an eye. It is revoltingly disgusting and he has no damn end to his cesspool.

And in case people are wondering what we are talking about

This is Vile. He is vile.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
"As we were being boxed in on Broadway & 5th Street to be arrested, LAPD decided that a completely unarmed homeless man in a wheelchair that had NOTHING to do with our protest was somehow a threat. They proceeded to inappropriately shoot "non-lethal" rounds directly at his face, which is against the proper procedure for firing rubber bullets.

This image is exceptionally heart-breaking for me as you can visibly see the homeless man writhing in pain, screaming, as he spews blood from his face moments after getting shot." --@FWDSET, Kirk Tsonos

Reactions: Seanchaidh

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Kwak's post is one that... I'll be honest, the world is kind of muted to me right now. Like I'm underwater.

Legitimately, even in this forum for years, people asked me why I feared the police. I don't even want to take a victory lap. I don't feel fulfilled or happy that this is the way it is. I'm saddened. There not just a few bad apples any more. It's a spreading rot. And one that moves in force. There are entire precincts walking over the damage that one follow officer caused, and that is horrible. Because it justifies it. These people who are supposed to know Law and Order, that are supposed to have moral authority, Hell, that are supposed to be human would walk over grandfathers, the homeless, gays, people who are peaceful protesting... If all you're given is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

And the worst part? I'm so used to seeing this happen to people that look like me that it's only shocking and heartbreaking that it's happening to others. I always knew if it could happen to us, it could happen to anyone, but some part of me I guess believed the police wouldn't cross that line. That if they had some filters, maybe they could learn to have more.

No. The ensuing "We were just following orders" defense that will be forthcoming is not an excuse and also apart of the problem. You should not follow an order that harms the innocent. And that these orders were given in the first place is wrong beyond words.

Never forget Martin Niemöller. There's no place for this. There's no place for a lack of humanity between human beings, no matter the occupation and/or status in life. There's no reason for any of this.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, can we stop? For one second? We have to have grown adults attack little kids because your identity can't handle other people thinking about others?

Police searching for cyclist who was filmed accosting people posting signs supporting Black Lives Matter

Police in Maryland are looking for a cyclist who was caught on video assaulting three people posting flyers in support of Black Lives Matter.

Maryland-National Capital Park Police are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in connection with an assault that took place Monday afternoon on the Capital Crescent Trail in Montgomery County, a release from Park Police said.

A man and two women were walking the trail, posting flyers in support of Black Lives Matter, when the suspect started to argue with them about the flyers and grabbed the flyers from one of the victims, the release said.

Police say the suspect then pushed his bicycle and started to charge one of the victims, causing them to fall to the ground.

Park Police have released images of the suspect, asking for help in finding the man, who is described as a 50 to 60-year-old white male, medium build, 6 feet in height, with short brown hair.

Park Police officers are patrolling the trail by foot, bicycle, and police car, the release said.
Well, I always wanted to say it. I'll see how it fits.

"I'll start caring about what happens to white people when white people stop harming and hurting each other."

... Nope, still feels callous and hollow. And in poor taste. These children wanted to do nothing more than protest and express themselves in a peaceful manner, and that incensed a 'grown' adult so much that he chased one of them down with a bike.

How are people like these excused by others? Why are they given the ability to vote?

But I think the most important thing is that at the end of the day, I still want him arrested. Not hurt and/or killed by the police. No matter how I might personally feel about him.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"As we were being boxed in on Broadway & 5th Street to be arrested, LAPD decided that a completely unarmed homeless man in a wheelchair that had NOTHING to do with our protest was somehow a threat. They proceeded to inappropriately shoot "non-lethal" rounds directly at his face, which is against the proper procedure for firing rubber bullets.

This image is exceptionally heart-breaking for me as you can visibly see the homeless man writhing in pain, screaming, as he spews blood from his face moments after getting shot." --@FWDSET, Kirk Tsonos

Like I've said before: Less-lethal. "But at least he's still alive," blather the heartless.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
"Just a few bad apples"
Nope, all violent scumbags with no ethics.
More than 50 Buffalo Police Department officers have resigned from an emergency response team on Friday in support of two officers who were suspended for shoving a protester on video.

The video, shot by NPR affiliate WBFO on Thursday, shows police officers yelling “move!” to a 75-year-old man during a protest. One officer is seen shoving the man, who falls to the ground and hits his head on the pavement.

The video shows someone shouting “He’s bleeding out of his ear!” and blood can be seen beneath the man’s head as officers continue to walk past him.
The entire Emergency Response Team resigned in support of the two officers, the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association told WGRZ.

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,” John Evans, PBA president, told the outlet.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
"Just a few bad apples"

Wait. "June 05, 2020 04:24 pm"

Holy shit, I called the following orders bit literally an hour and 47 minutes before it was actually announced.

Now I don't know whether to be more sick about the rote predictability that Tyrannical Powers follow, or that they couldn't harming an elderly gentleman apart of their orders and that humanity would be a way distant second in terms of importance.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I know it's relatively petty compared to what all's going on, but what if we add voter fraud to the cop's list of crimes?

Reactions: Revnak and Kwak

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
This has not been fully enacted yet, as it needs a judge's approval for that. However, the Minneapolis Police Department has enacted a tentative policy banning choke holds and any other neck restraining techniques.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This has not been fully enacted yet, as it needs a judge's approval for that. However, the Minneapolis Police Department has enacted a tentative policy banning choke holds and any other neck restraining techniques.

I think the better question is - why was it legal in the first place?

Also, did we definitively answer the question of why he was being detained in the same position for 9 minutes? Like, I could understand holding him for a couple of minutes but 8.5?

It's been 35 pages but I dont remember much about that

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
"Just a few bad apples"

Yea, THIS is exactly what I was saying about how they protect bad cops. They think they should be able to hurt, maim and kill citizens at will without repercussions. If their training tells them this is okay, that is part of the problem, however, even if ordered to do such a thing, you would think that if they were any sort of decent human being, they would refuse and/or resign over the principle right? No.. they will resign over getting in trouble for police brutality though. Like I said before, we may have to start from the ground up entirely, fire entire departments if necessary. They all have to be revetted and retrained, if they are not retrainable, they don't need to have a badge in the first place.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I think the better question is - why was it legal in the first place?

Also, did we definitively answer the question of why he was being detained in the same position for 9 minutes? Like, I could understand holding him for a couple of minutes but 8.5?

It's been 35 pages but I dont remember much about that
It’s legal because, as we have learned over the past week, crime is legal in America. I believe that answers the second question as well.
But on a more serious note, one of the more unsettling things during protests to me are the 8:46 moments of silence. Taking a knee for that long is actually fairly uncomfortable. It feels utterly absurd that a human being could sit like that for that long, clearly hurting another person who could not fight back. It’s disgusting. I... I genuinely don’t understand how a person can feel they have a license to abuse people in that way. This is what “the rule of law” really is when appealed to without thought. It’s the logic of Nuremberg.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So, did anyone think things would ever be this bad under Trump?

Sadly though we STILL have people who think this is "Fine" and will vote for him again. Just think, if Democrats would have had control over the house, Senate and white house right now, not only would the US have acted much sooner and more decisively to save thousands of American lives, They would have already passed this unemployment boost extension that the Republican Senate has essentially said " over our dead bodies" as they want to be able to force people to risk their lives and the lives of their loved ones for slave wages or be forced to become homeless and starve.

If the Republicans get their way, it will directly result in millions more Americans becoming homeless right now, unable to provide for themselves or their families. The people really do not have time to wait here for help. We need to greatly expand unemployment to cover everyone without a viable income right now, as many of those unemployed cannot even receive existing unemployment benefits as it is.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I... I genuinely don’t understand how a person can feel they have a license to abuse people in that way. This is what “the rule of law” really is when appealed to without thought. It’s the logic of Nuremberg.
Kind of like the "It's okay to punch Nazis!" crowd, who feel that physical violence against people with certain beliefs is justified?

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Kind of like the "It's okay to punch Nazis!" crowd, who feel that physical violence against people with certain beliefs is justified?
Wow. At least I was equating murder of innocents with murder of innocents.

Status
Not open for further replies.