Not open for further replies.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
But I wasn't talking about this case. The case with Floyd is clearly misconduct, these riots aren't about Floyd though, his death is just the spark for them.
Their behavior during the riots is excessive and my point is the things Devil mentioned help deal with police behaving too forcefully. Your solution amounted to "Reduce crime" when the issue is that they too often mishandle crime when they come across it.

Also honestly your point didn't in any way suggest a way for racism to actually be handled. They will always be called into those neighborhoods, they still have to conduct themselves properly when they do so.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Their behavior during the riots is excessive...
Excessive is the understatement of the year. At this point it's graduated "excessive", "brutality", and ventured well into the realm of "state-sponsored terror". This isn't restoring order or protecting the peace, this is an act of mass retribution and collective punishment across the country with no intent other than to silence and terrorize the American populace.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hey did you hear the one about Mad Dog Matthis? Apparently Trump gave him the nickname Mad Dog, despite Trump saying he was going to hire Mad Dog Matthis during the 2016 election. You know, a lie. (Why do I even bother pointing these out anymore? Somehow it’ll be my fault for pointing out his lie.) Also, he lies about firing him.

Also, Trump says he’s a bad person. After heaping so much praise on him for 2 years. I wonder if it’s got to do with Trump being criticised...

Because being self aware must be anathema in Trump town

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Excessive is the understatement of the year. At this point it's graduated "excessive", "brutality", and ventured well into the realm of "state-sponsored terror". This isn't restoring order or protecting the peace, this is an act of mass retribution and collective punishment across the country with no intent other than to silence and terrorize the American populace.
I mean, Trump campaigned In 2016 on his willingness to terrorise people

Some people just thought he only meant Mexicans

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I mean, Trump campaigned In 2016 on his willingness to terrorise people

Some people just thought he only meant Mexicans
If you think this is a "Trump" problem you're not paying attention. You think the Guard was never called in to violently suppress protests before? You think tear gas, pepper balls, rubber bullets, and flashbangs miraculously came into existence on 20 Jan., 2017? You think all that military equipment in the hands of police departments across the country was Trump's doing? You think "warrior cop" training has only been happening for four years?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
*WARNING* Extremely Tough to Watch *WARNING* Elderly man unconscious, bleeding from the ears after cops push him.

An elderly man was shoved by a police officer in Buffalo, N.Y., Thursday, resulting in an apparent head injury that caused him to bleed from one of his ears and rendered him unconscious.

In a graphic video shot by a WBFO journalist, the man is seen slowly approaching the police until one officer tells him to move and pushes him.

A person can be heard yelling “He’s bleeding out of his ear!” and calling for medics. The man is seen laying on his back with blood spilling from his head.
*Warning* Graphic Violence *Warning* LAPD seen hitting protesters with batons, firing rubber bullets amid peaceful demonstrations

Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officers were seen hitting peaceful demonstrators with batons and firing rubber bullets at them as they protested the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in Minneapolis police custody last week.

The incident happened in the city’s Fairfax district, according to ABC7, a local news channel that shared the video.

The video shows protesters were standing in front of a line of police officers until suddenly one officer began hitting the group with a baton. As the group of protesters dispersed, the police officers began shooting rubber bullets.
Democrats introduce bill to rein in Trump's power under Insurrection Act

Senate Democrats introduced legislation Thursday to limit presidential power under the Insurrection Act after President Trump warned that he could deploy active military troops into U.S. cities.

The bill, introduced by Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), would require consultation with Congress before a president used the Insurrection Act and would limit use of the law to 14 days unless lawmakers pass a resolution to extend it.

“President Trump has threatened to use a slavery-era law to silence calls for justice from thousands of Americans protesting centuries of racist oppression,” Blumenthal said in a statement.

"I’m proposing urgently necessary reforms to impose oversight and accountability to the President’s broad, virtually unrestricted power. If the President uses military force against Americans at home, Congress should demand at least the same checks that apply to his use of force against adversaries abroad," he added.

The bill would also provide for an expedited judicial review for individuals, or state and local governments, who believe a president has abused his or her authority under the Insurrection Act. It would also prevent the U.S. military from taking part in "search, seizure, arrest" or similar activities unless specifically granted that authority under law.
Without humor, I welcome newcomers into the life that minorities have been suffering in for generations.

This will not end pretty.

Reactions: Sneed's SeednFeed

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Riots crop up sporadically, but I would have to think Trump really doesn't help.

Trump makes occasional blather about solidarity, but he undercuts it with the rest of his behaviour. He insults people rampantly, he's encouraged citizens to oppose state governors, and his "us and them" attitude extends very much to excluding the left and Democratic Party voters. A president notionally is president for all, but Trump gives absolutely no confidence that he cares for anything but himself and his base. He can't pull the nation together, and his petty, vindictive, ill-tempered and selfish behaviour drives it more to chaos and division.

The worst thing is, that's what plenty of his voters voted for. They loved the fact he just insulted the opposition, Mexicans; set out an agenda with no balance or tolerance. They wanted someone to give their derision and contempt for their opponents a voice. This is the sort of place such attitudes get a country: and it isn't pretty.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Well, this isn’t a good sign.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Law and order is the cops gassing a homeless camp in Portland this week, anarchy is this.
I think the word you're looking for is "charity". You can tell the biases in the writing when the non-hierarchial nature of the commune is applauded (while actually the owner of the facilities is, in fact, facilitating them, not just in opening the space, but in coordinating the operations, instructing the volunteers how to run a hotel.)

The propaganda is getting real old. At least one of the people in that hotel is there because rioters set his car on fire. But man, can you churn out some volume of content about how evil police are and how great not having police is. It's almost like that was the point of all those self-proclaimed anarcho-communists going out in masks and breaking things and painting anarchy symbols and instigating violence before backing away and filming the effects of their own actions.
"The police are the only violent people. There's no fighting in anarcho-communism"

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think the word you're looking for is "charity". You can tell the biases in the writing when the non-hierarchial nature of the commune is applauded (while actually the owner of the facilities is, in fact, facilitating them, not just in opening the space, but in coordinating the operations, instructing the volunteers how to run a hotel.)

The propaganda is getting real old. At least one of the people in that hotel is there because rioters set his car on fire. But man, can you churn out some volume of content about how evil police are and how great not having police is. It's almost like that was the point of all those self-proclaimed anarcho-communists going out in masks and breaking things and painting anarchy symbols and instigating violence before backing away and filming the effects of their own actions.
"The police are the only violent people. There's no fighting in anarcho-communism"
We fully expect the police to forcibly arrest violent rioters setting cars on fire. We don't expect them to invade shelters looking after the homeless or trash medical stations and destroy their bottled water and medical supplies, not least because that stuff's often counterproductive.

I appreciate facing down an angry and abusive - albeit not seriously violent - crowd can be a scary and difficult thing. Keeping cool whilst someone screams in your face, spits at you and throws water on you is difficult. On the other hand, it's also what I expect a police officer to be trained to handle. Driving a car into them is just the crowd control equivalent of tasing a guy because he's got a sulky expression whilst answering questions.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you think this is a "Trump" problem you're not paying attention. You think the Guard was never called in to violently suppress protests before? You think tear gas, pepper balls, rubber bullets, and flashbangs miraculously came into existence on 20 Jan., 2017? You think all that military equipment in the hands of police departments across the country was Trump's doing? You think "warrior cop" training has only been happening for four years?
I agree this is not the first time. I'd also point out that Obama had lots of protest, the biggest ones probably being Ferguson, Occupy and Tea Party. None of them turn stupendously violent like they are know. Bush and Clinton didn't have anything like this either. Somehow, they manage to deal with protest without it getting out of hand.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Status
Not open for further replies.