Scott Cawthon (FNaF guy) cancelled

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay so Im confused. Like I get Scott is a conservative, I get he donated to anti-LGBTQXZY+2 politicians and I get that same group is annoyed. But how is this a betrayal of them? The fuck does FNaF have to do with being trans or gay? Are they like abbreviation buddies? Ive played some of them, Fnaf 1, 2, the RPG, Sister Location, and the franchise one, I ain't see any pro or anti LGBYQXYZ+3 shit. They're jump scary furry robot monster games with a very convoluted plot. If anything the main villain being purple and a child killer is super anti I think Bi is the purple on the flag, so anti-bi.
Also like his previous games were all like Bible study adventures, and he's been pretty open about his beliefs for a very long time. I get being mad that he holds shitty beliefs, but why is this some personal betrayal?

If Jim Sterling were obligatory I'd plucked my eyeballs a long time ago.
I really don't get Jim's new steampunk Jimmy Savile look. Gender fluid aside, just...woof.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Well here is this thing. You can agree and or support someone or something without agreeing with everything they do. Those politicians could have views on taxes, local policies, police reform, and any number of other causes that one can agree and support. While that politician also doesnt support some other cause.
But at its most generous that just means that trans people and minorities can easily be sacrificed as long as he gets the policies that he wants. Even if he does not actively supports harm done to minorities he at least condones it, and is complicit in it through his funding. Though being hyped for the policies of Trump the openly corrupt businessman doesn't really reflect well on a person either.

''No I don't support Trump bullying minorities! I just like how he gives himself and the other uber rich tax cuts while trying to take the healthcare away from the poor. I don't think its good he proposes a Muslim ban but I love how he's undermining democracy and how he alienates us from our allies while admiring our enemies!''

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Okay so Im confused. Like I get Scott is a conservative, I get he donated to anti-LGBTQXZY+2 politicians and I get that same group is annoyed. But how is this a betrayal of them? The fuck does FNaF have to do with being trans or gay? Are they like abbreviation buddies? Ive played some of them, Fnaf 1, 2, the RPG, Sister Location, and the franchise one, I ain't see any pro or anti LGBYQXYZ+3 shit. They're jump scary furry robot monster games with a very convoluted plot. If anything the main villain being purple and a child killer is super anti I think Bi is the purple on the flag, so anti-bi.
Also like his previous games were all like Bible study adventures, and he's been pretty open about his beliefs for a very long time. I get being mad that he holds shitty beliefs, but why is this some personal betrayal?
What I want to know is what is it about FNaF that apparently draws in the LGBT crowd. The news is making it like the fanbase is mostly LGBT. Is it the furry connection?

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What I want to know is what is it about FNaF that apparently draws in the LGBT crowd. The news is making it like the fanbase is mostly LGBT. Is it the furry connection?
I sincerely hope that's not the connection. Being a furry is considered a fetish at best, and a dangerous disorder in the most extreme other-kin cases. I hope that the LGBT folks didn't see a bunch of child murdering possessed furry robots and said "Finally a game that understands me!"

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
If Jim Sterling were obligatory I'd plucked my eyeballs a long time ago.
If it makes you feel any better he's probably retiring sooner rather than later. I think he's said things like ''I hate video games and myself for making my career about them'' a bit too often to dismiss it as a goof.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Disagreement is fine, don't support what you don't like.
And that's what people do here.

Is it the furry connection?
That's precisely it.

I sincerely hope that's not the connection. Being a furry is considered a fetish at best, and a dangerous disorder in the most extreme other-kin cases. I hope that the LGBT folks didn't see a bunch of child murdering possessed furry robots and said "Finally a game that understands me!"
Relax. LGBT crowd(or any young crowd really) thirsting for fictional baddies isn't anything new.

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Unless he's advocating for violence why are we banning him?
Despite the hyperbole being thrown around, he has been banned from absolutely nowhere. He voluntarily chose to retire with his 70 some million dollars. Hell, there's even talk of finding another developer to continue the IP.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Despite the hyperbole being thrown around, he has been banned from absolutely nowhere. He voluntarily chose to retire with his 70 some million dollars. Hell, there's even talk of finding another developer to continue the IP.
So he didn't really lose much of anything. He still got his money and he can still donate to those bastards anytime he wants. The dude is more than well often to continue with doing something else. Not to mention, he'll still get royalty fees from his games. Regardless if he's making them or not.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think it's as simple as 'this guy who made something I really, really like turns out to be kind of a piece of shit, and that sucks', even if the work itself doesn't display why they're a piece of shit, and it'll depend from person to person how that knowledge will effect them. I can't really look at Kevin Spacey movies anymore without thinking 'oh yeah, right', same with John Landis movies eventhough he made one of my favourite movies ever.

Oh, and poor Scott Cawthon for being critized by a group of people who are utterly powerless to stop his wealth and influence I guess. Damn you, cancel culture!

Glad I was never a fan of his work or spent on a dime on it just like with ol' J.K.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think it's as simple as 'this guy who made something I really, really like turns out to be kind of a piece of shit, and that sucks', even if the work itself doesn't display why they're a piece of shit, and it'll depend from person to person how that knowledge will effect them. I can't really look at Kevin Spacey movies anymore without thinking 'oh yeah, right', same with John Landis movies eventhough he made one of my favourite movies ever.
I'm broadly pretty good at switching off from people's personal sins to enjoy their art. I think it can be separated. Spacey's already been paid and Michael Jackson is dead, so feel free to watch American Beauty and stream Billie Jean. But I absolutely think there's room to pause if you know in the back of your mind you're funding a person who's going to splash their money - and thus stuff they got from you - on supporting causes you find repellent.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So he didn't really lose much of anything. He still got his money and he can still donate to those bastards anytime he wants. The dude is more than well often to continue with doing something else. Not to mention, he'll still get royalty fees from his games. Regardless if he's making them or not.
Exactly. The only manner in which Mr. Cawthon has been "cancelled" is that he has lost the goodwill and support of many of his fans. And maybe I'm just going crazy, but I don't remember when we made "thinking positively of all content creators" a requirement of society.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Wait, what did he do now? Or is this about the chopper killing those people in the Twilight Zone movie?
With John Landis, I'm pretty sure the Twilight Zone movie incident is what turns off people (rightfully so, in my opinion). There is the possibility, however, that the Shinji could have been thinking of Max Landis, his son, who is a writer that has been accused of unsavory things by several women.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Oh, and poor Scott Cawthon for being critized by a group of people who are utterly powerless to stop his wealth and influence I guess. Damn you, cancel culture!

Glad I was never a fan of his work or spent on a dime on it just like with ol' J.K.
So this is less some great betrayal and cancel campaign, and more the LGBTQIXYZ30GoTo10 crowd still in 2021 hasn't learned not to idolize people simply based on liking their work, and still doesn't know artists and art are two things.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So this is less some great betrayal and cancel campaign, and more the LGBTQIXYZ30GoTo10 crowd still in 2021 hasn't learned not to idolize people simply based on liking their work, and still doesn't know artists and art are two things.
I don't think it has anything to do with any specific crowd. I think a certain subset of all groups just really likes being upset, and this one saw an opportunity to rationalize their rage.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, what did he do now? Or is this about the chopper killing those people in the Twilight Zone movie?
Yes it is, and also him never really (to my knowledge) having taken responsibility for it. Also, not sure how concrete some of these statements are, but I believe he was the one to tell the chopper to fly lower.

Now he surely isn't the only Hollywood director who shows negligence to the safety of others while making a movie *cough* Tarantino *cough*, but in his case it killed three people including two kids who likely had no say in the matter. And he kinda just got away with a 'well, you surely fucked that up, huh'. At worst I think Steven Spielberg distanced himself from him after that.
I'm broadly pretty good at switching off from people's personal sins to enjoy their art. I think it can be separated. Spacey's already been paid and Michael Jackson is dead, so feel free to watch American Beauty and stream Billie Jean. But I absolutely think there's room to pause if you know in the back of your mind you're funding a person who's going to splash their money - and thus stuff they got from you - on supporting causes you find repellent.
Again, it differs from person to person. In regards to Kevin Spacey I just can't, not yet anyway, which sucks because I really like L.A. Confidential. This has aged with certain people, like when I watch The Naked Gun now I don't feel as awkward about O.J. Simpson.
This isn't just relegated to the LGBTQ crowd, idolizing people is something nearly everyone does, and yes it is a bad thing.

As for the art and artist are two things, if I found out one of my favourite pieces of entertainment was created by someone who either thinks of me or financially supports people who think of me as lesser people, I'd feel a little peeved to say the least.