Scott Cawthon (FNaF guy) cancelled

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So this is less some great betrayal and cancel campaign, and more the LGBTQIXYZ30GoTo10 crowd still in 2021 hasn't learned not to idolize people simply based on liking their work, and still doesn't know artists and art are two things.
I haven't seen anyone doing or saying anything that would indicate they "idolise" him. I'm seeing lots of people ascribing motivations to the LGBT+ community that they haven't actually expressed, though.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I haven't seen anyone doing or saying anything that would indicate they "idolise" him. I'm seeing lots of people ascribing motivations to the LGBT+ community that they haven't actually expressed, though.
I mean acting like its some sort of personal betrayal kinda implies a level or either personal familiarization, or idolizing.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Relax. LGBT crowd(or any young crowd really) thirsting for fictional baddies isn't anything new.
It's weird seeing people still confused by this in a post Montero internet. Like, every tetrophiliac I know is some flavor of queer.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean acting like its some sort of personal betrayal kinda implies a level or either personal familiarization, or idolizing.
Bethesda had to apologize to Gamers™️ for Starfield being an exclusive. This sort of thing shouldn't be surprising for anybody with a passing familiarity with gaming.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Bethesda had to apologize to Gamers™️ for Starfield being an exclusive. This sort of thing shouldn't be surprising for anybody with a passing familiarity with gaming.
I mean yeah? Dont expect Bethesda, or indeed any game company, or indeed anyone who you aren't personally familiar with to be your friend.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Who's acting that way? And why do they represent "the LGBT+ community"?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The Montgomery Bus Boycott was cancel culture run amok

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Exactly. The only manner in which Mr. Cawthon has been "cancelled" is that he has lost the goodwill and support of many of his fans. And maybe I'm just going crazy, but I don't remember when we made "thinking positively of all content creators" a requirement of society.
Remember when Hitchcock dared a guy to be handcuffed up for the night.... and then spiked his drink with laxatives.

There was a reason why his movies were so fucked up

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think it has anything to do with any specific crowd. I think a certain subset of all groups just really likes being upset, and this one saw an opportunity to rationalize their rage.
Well, there are a LOT of cases and new laws trying to be passed that will restrict them. I understand why they are actually frightened.

But I not one to say that a lot of cancel culture/boycotts aren't stupid. Just stop buying it and feel free to say why. Once you're trying to force your opinions on someone, you're crossing a line and it better have exceptional circumstances for me to be cool with that.

I dont know if this is the case here. People use the term Cancel culture like its addictive drug. So whenever they use the term, they now got to bring me more proof than 'they dont like what I said.'

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Remember when Hitchcock dared a guy to be handcuffed up for the night.... and then spiked his drink with laxatives.
Alfred Hitchcock, I fear, had an unpleasant and in ways creepy attitude towards women. But he also made some great films.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Alfred Hitchcock, I fear, had an unpleasant and in ways creepy attitude towards women. But he also made some great films.
Pinning someone down for days attached to birds for that 'perfect shot' is also unpleasant. He was way into actually torturing people

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Cawthon has a right to donate to whichever political candidates he wants. Everyone else has a right to make moral judgements about him as a result of said donations. On a national level and in a lot of states the Republican Party are a party you can only vote for if you can accept the rights and dignity of LGBT+ people being neglected or eroded. People who do care about it are therefore likely to sleep a little easier if they know the money from their purchases isn't being funnelled into the GOP. I'm not so naive as to think you can fully avoid funding the Republicans down the line somewhere, most corporations will have conservative employees and you can't really get away from supporting, say, the Oracle Corporation, but I do not take that as a reason to disregard what implications my purchase decisions may have. Also if people who care about an issue discover that a business supports a particular cause they oppose, of course they're going to publicise it to spread awareness to other people who share their beliefs.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes it is, and also him never really (to my knowledge) having taken responsibility for it. Also, not sure how concrete some of these statements are, but I believe he was the one to tell the chopper to fly lower.

Now he surely isn't the only Hollywood director who shows negligence to the safety of others while making a movie *cough* Tarantino *cough*, but in his case it killed three people including two kids who likely had no say in the matter. And he kinda just got away with a 'well, you surely fucked that up, huh'. At worst I think Steven Spielberg distanced himself from him after that.
Again, it differs from person to person. In regards to Kevin Spacey I just can't, not yet anyway, which sucks because I really like L.A. Confidential. This has aged with certain people, like when I watch The Naked Gun now I don't feel as awkward about O.J. Simpson.
This isn't just relegated to the LGBTQ crowd, idolizing people is something nearly everyone does, and yes it is a bad thing.

As for the art and artist are two things, if I found out one of my favourite pieces of entertainment was created by someone who either thinks of me or financially supports people who think of me as lesser people, I'd feel a little peeved to say the least.
With Nordberg in Naked Gun, the fact that he’s getting all the slapstick pratfalls takes the sting out of it. For some at least.

And we can add my favourite director - James Cameron - to the list of criminally negligent. Ed Harris nearly drowned making The Abyss. Leo and Kate go really blasted with loads of cold water making Titanic and then there’s what happened to Eliza Dushku on True Lies but that’s a whole story unto itself.

Reactions: BrawlMan