I'm totally going to play this again... someday.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Agreed; it's a fine arcade racer. Is it a good Burnout? Very much disagree.

Similar to laggyteabag, had I been introduced to Burnout with Paradise, I'd likely have zero complaints; it's a fine game unto itself. But given my experiences with the franchise it claims to be a part of, it does too much differently, for little return, and ultimately wrong. It's like vegan pizza: might taste fine as an assemblage of edible flavors, and to someone who's never had pizza, it might even be GREAT... but have you had REAL pizza???
Disagreed, Paradise is a good Burnout game. Not the best, nor the worst. If anything, Paradise is good pizza that is not vegan, yet it's the really greasy kind with the stretchy cheese. The one you would find at a liquor store or the roller rink on 8 Mile. God, I have not been to that roller rink in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Burnout Paradise was the last proper racing game EA ever released before they went all in on their shitty monetisation tactics, so I have grown to quite admire it as time has bumbled on. And it runs super smooth 60fps on the PS4. But at the time of release I do remember feeling disappointed, especially finding out they binned the puzzle crash mode while replacing it with the far less engaging "flip me anywhere to achieve fuckbugger all" mode. Purists tend to say 3 is best, though I think 4 is as good, just different and kinda nuts.

Now a cowardly middle-ground has been established, can we all hold hands and sing kumbaya?

giphy-7.gif

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Disagreed, Paradise is a good Burnout game. Not the best, nor the worst. If anything, Paradise is good pizza that is not vegan, yet it's the really greasy kind with the stretchy cheese. The one you would find at a liquor store or the roller rink on 8 Mile. God I have not been to that roller rink in a long time.
Ok, I'll agree Paradise is equivalent to something really greasy found at a roller rink in Detroit.

Burnout Paradise was the last proper racing game EA ever released before they went all in on their shitty monetisation tactics, so I have grown to quite admire it as time has bumbled on. And it runs super smooth 60fps on the PS4. But at the time of release I do remember feeling disappointed, especially finding out they binned the puzzle crash mode while replacing it with the far less engaging "flip me anywhere to achieve fuckbugger all" mode. Purists tend to say 3 is best, though I think 4 is as good, just different and kinda nuts.

Now a cowardly middle-ground has been established, can we all hold hands and sing kumbaya?
Just what we needed; a THIRD opinion! :LOL:

Fine, I'll sing kumbaya, but I'm NOT holding hands; BrawlMan's hands are covered in grease.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, I'll agree Paradise is equivalent to something really greasy found at a roller rink in Detroit.
Dont be bad mouthing one of my favorite roller rinks. It had SF II: Champion Edition, Final Fight, Terminator 2 (Pinball) and 3 Player Off Road.

Purists tend to say 3 is best, though I think 4 is as good, just different and kinda nuts.
The ones that say 3 is the best is usually talking about the color palette and slightly more variety of tracks. I consider Revenge the best followed by 3, then Paradise.

Kumbaya, yes. Holding hands, no.
BrawlMan's hands are covered in grease.
They ain't that greasy. I use gloves when putting on my hair lotion!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Disgaea 5.

Here's the thing though, I know I will eventually pick it up again because I've done this with every single other Disgaea game I've played.
1, 2, 3 and now 5, I've always played some amount of them then just kinda wandered away from them for a long while before coming back and doing a full playthrough.
I don't know WHY I do this with all the Disgaea games, but I do.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Disgaea 5.

Here's the thing though, I know I will eventually pick it up again because I've done this with every single other Disgaea game I've played.
1, 2, 3 and now 5, I've always played some amount of them then just kinda wandered away from them for a long while before coming back and doing a full playthrough.
I don't know WHY I do this with all the Disgaea games, but I do.
I had this with New Vegas. I just....got so tired of playing it. It didn't hold my interest. I'd play like halfway through, get bored, put it away, forget about it. Decide a year later to try it again, but feel I needed to start from the beginning as I forgot so much....and run into the same problem again. I finally had to force myself to finish it, by giving myself a ridiculous background story and character build that kept me JUST amused enough, to finish it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

View attachment 2714
I see you can play left and right handed *points to your avatar pic*. that's impressive, especially considering you don't have opposable thumbs.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I had this with New Vegas. I just....got so tired of playing it. It didn't hold my interest. I'd play like halfway through, get bored, put it away, forget about it. Decide a year later to try it again, but feel I needed to start from the beginning as I forgot so much....and run into the same problem again. I finally had to force myself to finish it, by giving myself a ridiculous background story and character build that kept me JUST amused enough, to finish it.
Well the thing is, I don't stop playing them due to lack of interest, I'd actually say I have more the opposite problem where I get too caught up in the minutia of the mechanics that I start spending too much time investing in characters, items, and abilities that I eventually feel overwhelmed and have to drop it till I can come back with a more removed view on things.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just replayed No More Heroes 1 recently after not playing it for a decade. I still dislike the entry fees. Without them the game ain't even close to 14 hours long. It will be that divided by half. What makes it longer is that to get the true ending, you have to buy the final sword. And with it, you're going to want to get the infinite battery for the last couple of boss fights. A battery that's going to cost you $999K.

I'm so glad they got rid of them in the sequel. The boss fights are still fun and a majority of them are top notch.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Currently, I'm actually going through with this sentiment with ME: Andromeda. That had been a "I'll try it again later" for quite a while....basically since release (though I did buy it a few months after it released IIRC, after the bugapalooza was resolved). So far, still enjoying it a lot. Having watched someone do an LP of ME: 1 Legendary ED, and then playing this, I really don't get a lot of the flak. It feels very much like the old ME games to me. Lots of running around from place to place, picking up missions to solve all the galaxy's problems. Lots of dialogue about getting to know the crew, which are perfectly likeable and enjoyable supporting cast. Combat is fine, if actually a lot harder IMO, though I am playing the somewhat suicidal Vanguard build soooo.....

I'm roughly up to the point I was at last time, when I quit playing, just slight divergence in a choice of plot locations. Went to Planet A the first time, this time I'm on Planet B first.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Which reminds me, I 've got to play T16 mini again.
I wanted one of those but they might as well be made of solid gold for how much they cost now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If you can, wait around the holidays and buy one used. It's what I did. I got mine for $78.
Maybe they will show up again but right now on amazon the cheapest one is used for $155.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe they will show up again but right now on amazon the cheapest one is used for $155.
Understandable. Still better than the last time before the holidays. They were $250-$300 used at the time before the 2020 holiday.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

View attachment 2714
for my $2 Burnout Paradise is the greatest "car" game ever made. My fixation has less to do with racing and more with the freedom of just driving around and doing whatever you want. I love that the tracks and modes are built into the city so its always up to you as to when you want to start shit.

I would also saying even in 2021 playing it on a Super Ultrawide Samsung G9 monitor with all Nvidia Options cranked to Max is an absolutely transcendent experience. I still play it when I get a craving to jump over buildings and chase cars, but I've never really been in traditional racing games, my next favorite racing games after that is Tokyo Extreme Racer which technically doesn't even have races.

One game thats been on my mind to go back and beat is Final Fantasy IV. I kinda of co-op beat it with some friends when I was 12, but it was mostly me watching them play so I keep buying whatever the newest version trying to talk myself into committed to actually beat it myself.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'll have to see if Burnout Revenge is available for download to the Xbox. I'd love to compare it to Paradise. I love Paradise. My best buddy loves it too... just cruising around the city at crazy speed. He spent days trying to get his car to jump through a giant tube that was suspended above a construction site. Stupid fun. My daughter and her best friend used to play it a ton on PS3. I've got it on Xbox and PC as well.

EDIT: It is BC on the Xbox One. Maybe find the disc somewhere online.

My game to get back to? Detroit: Become Human.

I think a glitch caused my downfall. I knew what I needed to do but a character would not do it. So, he got killed. I basically got the Auschwitz ending and it was horrifying. I'd like to get a better ending but that glitch? (The cop is trying to find evidence he needs before he is fired. He's in a place he is not supposed to be in and it is timed.) Do I really want to put myself through that all when my pile of shame is insurmountable?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
WH40K: Space Marine. I enjoy the game, but damn the key bindings in this game are fucked. I stopped playing it for a while and forgot all the controls and mechanics beyond the basic ones, and there are no button prompts meaning I'd have to start from the beginning (or try and look it up online but I'm too lazy).

Horizon Zero Dawn. It has its moments, but I think I was expecting more. I intend to finish it, but maybe after I finish school first.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
WH40K: Space Marine. I enjoy the game, but damn the key bindings in this game are fucked. I stopped playing it for a while and forgot all the controls and mechanics beyond the basic ones, and there are no button prompts meaning I'd have to start from the beginning (or try and look it up online but I'm too lazy).
Yeah I'm not a fan of the WH40K, or WH franchise at all really, but you give me a big ass hammer that I can use to hammer smash my way through a horde of monsters, in power armor, and I'm going to have a fun time. But I did stop playing around....uh...I think the "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" moment? I forget honestly, and truthfully, nothing about any of the people/factions/etc made any sense to me, as I have no frame of reference, and couldn't give 2 shits. I think something something demon gate opened, chaos realm something something, for the emperor was probably said by somebody around that time. Then I stopped playing. I really didn't enjoy the ranged combat, but damn the power armor with massive hammer combat was just delicious as hell. I might pick that up again, but, we'll see.

Horizon Zero Dawn. It has its moments, but I think I was expecting more. I intend to finish it, but maybe after I finish school first.
Can't really speak to your expectations, but I loved that game. I admit I'm a sucker for post-apocalypse stories, and enjoy tales about uncovering the past, and trying to fix the massive clusterfuck of mistakes. Plus I liked that the character was one of the first times I can recall, where the protagonist was allowed to be openly atheist/skeptical in a world that is HEAVILY entrenched in religious bullshit. So it was rather enjoyable for me, when having to listen to some crusty old biddy's ramblings about the Great Mother, and the sins of those beyond the valley and all that shit, to actually have an option to just be like "yeah, well, that sounds like a bunch of bullshit so, whatever, I"m going to actually go find out the truth of what's going on."

I found that game engaging from start to finish. What I mean is it's not uncommon for me to put a game down for a week or so, depending on work and other factors, or just not feel like playing it when I get home. But that was one of the ones, that I not only wanted to keep playing when I had the time for it, but my wife, (who likes watching me play it), would ask me if I wanted to play it that night, as she enjoyed the story.

I would say it's worth a full playthrough, but, YMMV *shrugs*