What have you learned today?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm gonna admit I barely remember the Hangover films. I saw the original once and enjoyed it well enough. Watched the sequel and realized I wanted someone to throttle Alan. The only part of the 2nd film I actually enjoyed was Ed Helms singing his own take on Allentown(also because I like that song for some reason). Didn't bother with number 3. I vaguely remember an Asian guy but honestly not much more then that.
Then let me remind you:

Reactions: Dalisclock

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yep, he's a general practitioner. It was hard for me to wrap my head around that fact and that he's also Mr. Chow, the drugged-out and offensively stereotypical Asian kingpin in The Hangover films. Not sure if he has an active practice or not, though; I imagine it'd be difficult to manage a medical practice AND demanding acting schedules.

EDIT: just checked; it appears he "used to" have a practice, so yeah, acting and comedy are his bread and butter now.
Yeah, he had pretty much the same career trajectory as Alan Rickman: someone middle-aged gets a big break from their previous career into showbiz.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Due to a warped understanding of military tactics by Enver Hoxha there are about 173,371 military bunkers in Albania, with little overall tactical value.
Once did a road trip with friends through the Balkans, including Albania. I remember seeing those. These little ~3m wide concrete domes, often in weird, seemingly random places. Also, tons and tons of half-finished and/or abandoned apartment buildings all over. Roads that are on official maps, but didn't actually exist in real life. And not just small roads, like 40-50km of a major freeway to the capital Tirana was not there. You could see it just abruptly end in the distance, and I got diverted onto this small hardened dirt road winding through the hills. Couple hours later, the freeway just as abruptly started again and the little dirt road joined up again. Also, that 10 lane freeway terminated in Tirana into a single lane u-turn that went straight into back alleys.

Also, Albanian corruption is fun. For example, while at the border, we quickly noticed all Macedonian cars got pulled aside for a search (Albanians and Macedonians don't get along). We also noticed the sign in English saying "Please announce all amounts of corruption". Gave us a good laugh. "Good day sir, how much corruption are you bringing to Albania today? Oh, I'm afraid that's not enough." Anyway, we were driving a rental with a Macedonian plate, so expected the same. When it was our turn, I handed the border dude my Belgian id. He just handed it back and we were let through. Later, in a town called Krujë, we got pulled over by the cops. We got some money ready, just in case we'd have to bribe the dude. Again, Belgian id, suddenly there was no problem anymore. Turned out, the Albanian government wanted to promote tourism, so it had more or less ordered law enforcement to basically give Western tourists free reign. We were told you could get away with a lot, including some stuff that would otherwise net your some pretty serious jail time.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Further knowledge: Deep in the Star Wars lore, there is a musical style named "jizz".

Let that soak in for a minute.
In my experience, one should not at all let it sink in. Ruins a good t-shirt.

But seriously, I love how practitioners of jizz are called jizz wailers. Whoever approved this must not have given a shit that day.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In my experience, one should not at all let it sink in. Ruins a good t-shirt.

But seriously, I love how practitioners of jizz are called jizz wailers. Whoever approved this must not have given a shit that day.
Pretty sure it's stuff like this that caused Disney to decanonize everything that isn't in the films and tv shows. Easier to clear the slate then sort through everything.

Also to control the franchise with an iron grip, because this is Disney we're talking about.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Pretty sure it's stuff like this that caused Disney to decanonize everything that isn't in the films and tv shows. Easier to clear the slate then sort through everything.
Nope, jizz is canon.

But you're definitely right.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
This is probably the first Video game, made in 1947.

It's essentially a very simple version of Missile Command.

The first sci-fi story which we have access to may be from Roman Era Greece, where some greeks go to the moon.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not stereotyping, profiling or generalizing as this sentiment came from the mouth of a Filipino woman (perhaps @Bob_McMillan can correct me or back me up,) but Filipino women in a group have a unique ability to hold multiple conversations simultaneously. This past weekend, we visited my gf's best friend (the Filipina, "Gina") who's niece was having a birthday party for her 1-year-old daughter. Well, 6 of Gina's Filipina friends came, and they congregated in the kitchen, and commenced to all speak Tagalog, at the same time, at the top of their lungs and were covering no fewer than 4 subjects... at the same time. It was incredible. Their husbands (all non-Filipino) were unphased; they're used to it apparently, but I was captivated. I tried to watch the football game, but I couldn't take my eyes off of the women and this strange "hive" conversation. Every now and again, one of them would pop their head out of the group to address someone outside the group in English, but they'd inexorably dive back into the roil of Tagalog followed by a synchronized burst of laughter and more Tagalog. It was like watching a school of piranha skeletonize a cow, except the cow in this case was gossip.

EDIT: I just thought of the perfect analogy! I was effectively Wesley Crusher in this scene Saturday night:

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not stereotyping, profiling or generalizing as this sentiment came from the mouth of a Filipino woman (perhaps @Bob_McMillan can correct me or back me up,) but Filipino women in a group have a unique ability to hold multiple conversations simultaneously.
Definitely something that happens. See it all the time in stores, the staff is just chatting it up about boyfriends or their best friend's pregnancy and yet they're still listening to you and taking your order or something. If this is something unique to Filipino women I would have no idea, honestly I'd see it happening in many other cultures.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Definitely something that happens. See it all the time in stores, the staff is just chatting it up about boyfriends or their best friend's pregnancy and yet they're still listening to you and taking your order or something. If this is something unique to Filipino women I would have no idea, honestly I'd see it happening in many other cultures.
Oh, I've certainly seen it to an extent in other cultures; every culture has social habits and traditions, especially when away from the home and congregating with others from their home. But I've never seen it to this extreme, and I was warned "it's what Filipino women do" by a Filipino woman. I can't stress enough: 6 woman talking simultaneously, while holding 4 different conversations with each other.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Huh, the Mediterranean is a lot deeper than I thought. Always kind of assumed it was relatively shallow.
On a related note, there was once a plan to place dams across the entrances to the mediterranean ed to reclaim some of the land and generate a ton of hydropower for Europe and Africa. For many many reasons, it never happened and might not have been a great idea as it's unlikely the land would have been useful anytime soon(due to having spent millions of years under a salty sea and all).

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Haha! Sad but true, they'd have likely spent billions installing the dams, then tossed Africa a 4-pack of AA batteries with a firm handshake and a "good luck."
Particularly if made in the 1920's and 1930's, when Europe still owned big chunks of Africa. Though African workers would get the "pleasure" of Building it, most likely.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And when someone took a submarine seven miles down into the Mariana Trench, he found a plastic bag and candy wrappers.
Wouldn’t it be something if, in the chance human civilization collapses and thousands of years pass, that our longest lasting legacy winds up being literal garbage?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That the amount of US adults that fail to reach literacy level 3, the level that is deemed required to function in a modern society and read something as complicated as for instance a recipe, is 52 %.

My jaw dropped when I heard that.