They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Just gonna leave this here. Stumbled across randomly. I swear.
Edit: Trigger warning probably. She says horrible shit.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
t would be like getting upset about the alcoholism of Homer Simpson, a real serious condition played up for laughs on a tv show.
Not entirely, since, at least at some point in the show's life, the writers were actually skilled enough to make it funny.

I'll say it as many times as I have to. NOTHING should be off limits for humor, NOTHING. However, there are topics and people that take a lot of finesse to actually make funny. Contrapoints said it best, "It's not that we mind you making jokes about trans people, it's that you're not very good at it."

Despite the conservative assertion otherwise, pointing out someone's lack of skill as a comic does not mean I'm offended. I'm pointing out that you failed to make me laugh, which is the point of comedy. "You're just offended!" is the real bullshit cope. I'm not offended, you just suck at the task. Why should comics get a pass for sucking at their endeavor?

Also, for a group of people who so often love to view and call others "sheep" "drones" and all the teen cringe perjoratives invoking mindless repetition, you sure do love to mindlessly repeat these tired old phrases without a passing hint of self-reflection.
THANK YOU.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not entirely, since, at least at some point in the show's life, the writers were actually skilled enough to make it funny.
So it is okay to potential offend people so long as some people find it funny?

Ok then i think we are done here. Thanks.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

The key word is "potentially". I don't particularly care if a joke has the "potential" to offend somebody. We aren't talking about "potential" offense. People are legit offended to the point they staged a protest. There's no "potential" about it. That's the risk you take with edgy comedy. And the trick with edgy comedy is that is *has* to be funny.

Are alcoholics offended by Homer Simpson or his friend Barney? I dunno. I've never heard anybody who was, and I've heard a lot of discourse about when The Simpsons eschews comedy to have a point. Generally of the "why the fuck is this still on the air, it hasn't been funny in years?" "Cancel culture" variety.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
1) They're villains
2) *points to some incarnations of Waller herself*
3) *Points to Cluebra*
4) Half the point is they aren't patriots and often try to set up escape or other stuff going on. They're doing it to get out a prison not for Uncle sam for the most part.
A villain can tell you what's NOT acceptable. That's the point of them. With the note the Suicide Squad, due to them being protagonists, are able to flip flop due to them needing to be heroes sometimes

And you're presenting the idea those offended somehow should get the power to decide even if they are in no way ever the audience for such stuff, that's part of the issue.
This started with you implying they should be offended. You are doing the exact same thing you decry. It's been the whole point of this. Sure, they might not have power. Neither do you.

Except again I chose to go in there, it's my fault if I get offended is it not? I could choose to not go in there. I don't have the right to never be offended and I can't and shouldn't expect nothing in the world to be offensive ever. I just don't have to know or care about being offended that some-one somewhere I don't know and don't have to see is being offensive.
No. If someone calls me or anyone else a child murderer, I'm allowed to be offended. I wouldn't doubt that 95% of the population of the world would agree with me.

Again, this is you just pretending you have the power to decide what's offensive

Comedians Jokes = far less of an impact than national news sources. This was similar to the info found in the 1980s by Dr Guy Cumberbatch and his research.
This is not a rebuttal. This shows you misunderstand my point

It does become your responsibility when you're offended to the degree you want others to also side with you and give up the thing too or make changes too.
I mean, Chappelle was out there trying to shame millions of people on international TV (stream? I don't know what we could call it). He was asking them to change their ways. He was asking people to side with him.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Are alcoholics offended by Homer Simpson or his friend Barney? I dunno. I've never heard anybody who was, and I've heard a lot of discourse about when The Simpsons eschews comedy to have a point. Generally of the "why the fuck is this still on the air, it hasn't been funny in years?" "Cancel culture" variety.
Dunno. However when people get offended by things, it tend to fall upon the behalf of someone else. It strikes as an air of superiority to me. How many non-trans people spoke out against Chapelle's special for instance?

There are lots of offensive jokes and pieces of art and any number of other things. How many times do you see people who aren't in the catagory of the "target" getting offended on behalf of the target? It's trying to enforce a moral superiority over someone or something. It's grandstanding that has become media bait and as such has been given a spotlight that has motivated more and more of these types of callouts to the point of pushing extremes.

If you want to grandstand, that's perfectly fine people have that right. But I also am not obligated to take these people seriously either, especially when their twitter feed is toxic as fuck.

What's that saying about people in glass houses?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States

Of course it is.

But if the writing/joke fails, you do not automatically get to cry "CANCEL CULTURE!" which is what seems to be happening.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Of course it is.

But if the writing/joke fails, you do not automatically get to cry "CANCEL CULTURE!" which is what seems to be happening.
It is when the people crying "offended" are demanding the joke's removal.

You just said it is okay that a joke can potentially offend, so if you hold true to that statement than people trying to get Chappelle's are in the wrong.

Being upset is fine, negative reviews and critique are fine, but demands for removal are not.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
It is when the people crying "offended" are demanding the joke's removal.

You just said it is okay that a joke can potentially offend, so if you hold true to that statement than people trying to get Chappelle's are in the wrong.

Being upset is fine, negative reviews and critique are fine, but demands for removal are not.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Demands for removal because you suck at your job, however, are. If you're a fail comedian, you deserve it if you can't get laughs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Demands for removal because you suck at your job, however, are. If you're a fail comedian, you deserve it if you can't get laughs.

96% of the audience seems to have thought the show was plenty funny.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States

96% of the audience seems to have thought the show was plenty funny.
Note that I didn't anywhere demand that Chapelle get taken off Netflix.

Though to at least me personally, this is not the Dave Chapelle I watched religiously back in his CC days.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Note that I didn't anywhere demand that Chapelle get taken off Netflix.

Though to at least me personally, this is not the Dave Chapelle I watched religiously back in his CC days.
Okay? But the whole entire point of this thread was about Chapelle, and the whole time people have been saying that his jokes weren't funny and were offensive.

We've established that being offensive is okay so long as it still has the intent to be funny. You added that people must have found it funny for it to be okay.

I've shown that the crowd and the public have found the show to be good.

Now you want to broaden your stance to avoid Dave directly and make it a generalization? Fine you can do that. But that is not the topic at hand here.

I think I've been fair in agreeing with your stipulations and criteria regarding this, and I have proven that Dave's show is more than acceptible in this whole 19 page debate.

Fair enough? Can we now therefore agree that the Netflix protest and demands for removal are unwarranted and ridiculous?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Okay? But the whole entire point of this thread was about Chapelle, and the whole time people have been saying that his jokes weren't funny and were offensive.

We've established that being offensive is okay so long as it still has the intent to be funny. You added that people must have found it funny for it to be okay.

I've shown that the crowd and the public have found the show to be good.

Now you want to broaden your stance to avoid Dave directly and make it a generalization? Fine you can do that. But that is not the topic at hand here.

I think I've been fair in agreeing with your stipulations and criteria regarding this, and I have proven that Dave's show is more than acceptible in this whole 19 page debate.

Fair enough? Can we now therefore agree that the Netflix protest and demands for removal are unwarranted and ridiculous?
What, because of an online vote? You're only allowed to be offended by a thing if most people agree with you? You only get to ask that things change if enough people back you? If enough people like a thing you have to have the same opinion?

You absolutely sure that that's what you want the bar to be?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What, because of an online vote?
You got a better way of judging public reception these days?

You're only allowed to be offended by a thing if most people agree with you?
i didn't say that. You can be offended all you want, that's on you. Dunno why I jhave to keep reitterating that.

You only get to ask that things change if enough people back you?
You have no right to change art, because offense can only be driven by individual perception, and it is far to open to misunderstanding as is often the case with jokes.

If enough people like a thing you have to have the same opinion?
No of course not. I never said that. You are free to not like anything, and the easy solution is simply to not engage with it. Nobody is forced to sit through a comedy show, nor is anyone forced to watch it on Netflix, much less are you obligated to have a Netflix account should the company not be up to your standard.

Seems like a fine bar, that allows everyone to engage and enjoy whatever content they want to enjoy.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You got a better way of judging public reception these days?

i didn't say that. You can be offended all you want, that's on you. Dunno why I jhave to keep reitterating that.

You have no right to change art, because offense can only be driven by individual perception, and it is far to open to misunderstanding as is often the case with jokes.

No of course not. I never said that. You are free to not like anything, and the easy solution is simply to not engage with it. Nobody is forced to sit through a comedy show, nor is anyone forced to watch it on Netflix, much less are you obligated to have a Netflix account should the company not be up to your standard.

Seems like a fine bar, that allows everyone to engage and enjoy whatever content they want to enjoy.
And if somebody doesn't like it to the point that they drop Netflix over it, that's fine, right?

Is telling other people that they dropped Netflix over it okay, or is that invalid speech?

Is telling Netflix that they'll buy Netflix again if they stop buying these kind of shows again okay, or is that invalid speech?

Is telling people how and why they think that "comedy" is bad okay or invalid speech when the opinion is the majority opinion? Does it change if it's a minority opinion?

Would asking for a different age rating or adult verification or a content warning be okay to segregate off women in bikinis edgy jokes that don't land for the subject of the joke?

Just trying to sus out the line between "valid criticism" and "cancel culture"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.