Status
Not open for further replies.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
You are free to not like anything
Are we? Don't we lack a sense of humor if we refuse to laugh? Jokes are funny, after all.

Speaking of the counter protest, wasn't it formed by the guy who defended fucking CUTIES?

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Speaking of the counter protest, wasn't it formed by the guy who defended fucking CUTIES?
Which makes it even funnier because the Netflix protestors were fine with Cuties but it was Dave Chapelle's specials that were the problem? Really?

Dave Chapelle's joke were harmful but a film with young female actors being highly sexualised often (so I'm reliably informed by multiple sources across the political spectrum) to a degree that would be extremely unpleasant for an audience watching it and probably close to or over the line of what would be allowed to be done under US law with young actresses. I mean there was a film that got investigated due to a character being 17 (and the actress 17) and it containing ass shots in it. The shots were ordered by some executive and luckily for everyone involved in it the production team on set weren't stupid and the nudity was actually the girls older sister who was 18 at the time and they had on record that it was the sister in the shots etc.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
A villain can tell you what's NOT acceptable. That's the point of them. With the note the Suicide Squad, due to them being protagonists, are able to flip flop due to them needing to be heroes sometimes
yes, so as Suicide Squad flip flop and all sorts it's hard to call them properganda especially when half the time it's Wallers Cadmus or other such labs experiments getting out of hand that requires them to go in. Literally government black ops experiments going wrong.

This started with you implying they should be offended. You are doing the exact same thing you decry. It's been the whole point of this. Sure, they might not have power. Neither do you.
Because once it's out, made and there. What the hell is the point in trying to ban it or remove it again? Yes it's not for said audience they say so and if they weren't the audience for the property anyway they can be ignored.

I don't get the power to decide that Brooklyn 99 should have more tits and violence because I don't like the show as is and that's a good thing I don't get that power because I'm not the audience for that show.

No. If someone calls me or anyone else a child murderer, I'm allowed to be offended. I wouldn't doubt that 95% of the population of the world would agree with me.

Again, this is you just pretending you have the power to decide what's offensive
You can be offended but you can take responsibility for the offence because you walking into a Welsh Nationalist bar while not being Welsh. What did you expect a warm welcome as you ordered your English beer in English?

This is not a rebuttal. This shows you misunderstand my point
No it seems to show you misunderstand the existing groundwork on a lot of the present subject to suggest the jokes are part of the issue here to begin with or in any way comparable to a mainstream news source lol

I mean, Chappelle was out there trying to shame millions of people on international TV (stream? I don't know what we could call it). He was asking them to change their ways. He was asking people to side with him.
And that's his prerogative to argue for them to change. He was putting how offended to him to use to make the arguments as to why people should side with him rather than an angry mob who went after Daphne. Due made that argument right there. The protests against him are arguing people shouldn't be even allowed to hear his arguments.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And if somebody doesn't like it to the point that they drop Netflix over it, that's fine, right?
Yes

Is telling other people that they dropped Netflix over it okay, or is that invalid speech?
Yes

Is telling Netflix that they'll buy Netflix again if they stop buying these kind of shows again okay, or is that invalid speech?
Pretty sure you're over the line at this point into a no because you're entering into just trying to suppress stuff you don't like.

Is telling people how and why they think that "comedy" is bad okay or invalid speech when the opinion is the majority opinion? Does it change if it's a minority opinion?
Yes that's fine as long as you don't start claiming it should be removed because it's harmful.

Would asking for a different age rating or adult verification or a content warning be okay to segregate off women in bikinis edgy jokes that don't land for the subject of the joke?
I'd argue it's fine as long as you're not at the point of arguing adults shouldn't have access to it either on the grounds of "We live in a society" or something.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And if somebody doesn't like it to the point that they drop Netflix over it, that's fine, right?
Yep.
Is telling other people that they dropped Netflix over it okay, or is that invalid speech?
It is okay.

Is telling Netflix that they'll buy Netflix again if they stop buying these kind of shows again okay, or is that invalid speech?
Thats fine too.

telling people how and why they think that "comedy" is bad okay or invalid speech when the opinion is the majority opinion? Does it change if it's a minority opinion?
This is basically just reviewing the show so it is perfectly fine. However it might be disingenuous if you dont actually watch the show and thus make this opinion based off snippets and heresay.

Would asking for a different age rating or adult verification or a content warning be okay to segregate off women in bikinis edgy jokes that don't land for the subject of the joke?
I think it would be fine to ask netflix to put a trigger warning on the beginning of the show. If that would make people feel better. That is much fairer of a request than not having the show at all.

Just trying to sus out the line between "valid criticism" and "cancel culture"
Nothing you suggested is a demand for removal, nothing you suggested was anything more than critique and explanation for why you personally will no longer support Netflix based off your opinion of the comedy. You comment and you vote with your wallet which is perfectly okay. I have said this many times this thread so i dunno why there was so much confusion.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Did a fucking survey did you?

This survey did. I find it funny that critics loved the child exploitation but hated Dave Chappelle jokes.

Then again critics are rarely right these days. But the audiences clearly are more accepting of one show versus the other one.

Child sexualization in the name of art is fine. But you better not make a trans joke or you are fucked mister!

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This survey did. I find it funny that critics loved the child exploitation but hated Dave Chappelle jokes.

Then again critics are rarely right these days. But the audiences clearly are more accepting of one show versus the other one.

Child sexualization in the name of art is fine. But you better not make a trans joke or you are fucked mister!
To be fair, Netflix screwed up the marketing for that movie. They marketed it completely the wrong way, and it was not marketed like that in it's home country, nor anywhere else. There was a whole bunch of misleading advertisement all on Netflix part and not the director. I'm not defending the movie, because I have no interest, but Netflix itself did nothing to make the situation better at all. They sure as hell didn't bother to help the director when she was constantly harassed by racists jackasses or those thinking she was doing a pedo bait movie.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You can be offended but you can take responsibility for the offence because you walking into a Welsh Nationalist bar while not being Welsh. What did you expect a warm welcome as you ordered your English beer in English?
Let's just deal with this
If such a thing would happen, the customer would be writing a Yelp review and then telling all their friends, online and off. Because something so blatantly racist is not acceptable in society

That's what the responsible action would be, warning people of inappropriate behaviour

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If such a thing would happen, the customer would be writing a Yelp review and then telling all their friends, online and off. Because something so blatantly racist is not acceptable in society

That's what the responsible action would be, warning people of inappropriate behaviour
Yes! Perfect. Telling your friends and posting reviews online for people to NOT visit a restaurant is totally cool and fair game.

Going to the city and demanding the city shut the business down because one of the waiters was an asshole or the cook got your food wrong or that the customers were rude....not cool.

Seems fair right?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

And people are perfectly entitled to write a yelp review. It'd be hilarious cause generally pubs love but the Welsh nationalist types who hate the English don't care too much about English business anyway lol

I find it funny the whole "it's not acceptable in society". It's their regular pub just don't go in there. Society is not obliged to cater to everyone all the time and as long as they're in their pub they're not causing trouble in other pubs.

Welsh Nationalist pub, Welsh Nationalist Pub rules. It's how private establishments operate

Did a fucking survey did you?
So they walked out over Cuties did they?
There were 50+ long tweet threads from them about it and how awful and problematic it was?
Oh right there weren't.

I could go do a full on survey and get results, but even a cursory look over things will tell you I'm right.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yep.

It is okay.

Thats fine too.

This is basically just reviewing the show so it is perfectly fine. However it might be disingenuous if you dont actually watch the show and thus make this opinion based off snippets and heresay.

I think it would be fine to ask netflix to put a trigger warning on the beginning of the show. If that would make people feel better. That is much fairer of a request than not having the show at all.

Nothing you suggested is a demand for removal, nothing you suggested was anything more than critique and explanation for why you personally will no longer support Netflix based off your opinion of the comedy. You comment and you vote with your wallet which is perfectly okay. I have said this many times this thread so i dunno why there was so much confusion.
So what's the problem? You seem to be fine with literally everything that's happening. These people aren't running around canceling other people's Netflix accounts
Yes! Perfect. Telling your friends and posting reviews online for people to NOT visit a restaurant is totally cool and fair game.

Going to the city and demanding the city shut the business down because one of the waiters was an asshole or the cook got your food wrong or that the customers were rude....not cool.

Seems fair right?
Nobody is trying to wield state power here. Just telling the owners that they won't be back while that asshole is still serving customers

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
More from Vito on about what happened at the protest from his view

His friend may now have ended up with brain damage after he had his head slammed into a concrete planter and he and his friend are being framed by certain blogs etc as having violently assaulted protestors and tried to choke them out which turns out video footage of the event shows is not what happened.

So yeh that whole "Don't we have freedom of speech" people pushing that angle can kindly stow it because it turns out the actual Netflix protestors have decided not only other don't get that freedom but if they dare to exercise it it's fine to try and give a person brain damage.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And people are perfectly entitled to write a yelp review. It'd be hilarious cause generally pubs love but the Welsh nationalist types who hate the English don't care too much about English business anyway lol

I find it funny the whole "it's not acceptable in society". It's their regular pub just don't go in there. Society is not obliged to cater to everyone all the time and as long as they're in their pub they're not causing trouble in other pubs.

Welsh Nationalist pub, Welsh Nationalist Pub rules. It's how private establishments operate
Ah. Thanks for proving that your into crybulling

Reactions: Gyrobot

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Seems fair right?
So, you're into cancelling as long as there isn't a rally about it. Got it

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What? Critique isn't cancelling. How do you even put those together as the same thing?
When is it cancelling in your eyes?

Also, for your analogy to work in this scenario, that restaurant owner has to have a microphone on every street corner and it specifically saying, 'these people are bad and we should treat them as such.'

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
When is it cancelling in your eyes?
You you demand a piece of media to be outright removed. Or a business to be outright close. Especially when no legal wrong doing has taken place.

For example, we've all seen reviews of bad video games right? Ride to Hell, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc. Those reviews exist to critque the work and tell people whether or not it is worth their time, or to avoid it at all costs. None of those reviews will demand a studio should shutdown, or that the people who made the terrible video game be fired or that every copy of the game should be destroyed.

See? An actual fucking joke! It's not that hard!
Nope writing bad jokes is pretty easy as it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.