Battlefield 2042 open beta impressions; Oh boy.....

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Boo, where are the spammy aerial drones...

A Russia, US War without drones is so stupid. It's like they're fighting a war in 1990 with better planes, and tanks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

He won't be able to capture footage of the game, because it's so CPU heavy and dependent on PC.​

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

He won't be able to capture footage of the game, because it's so CPU heavy and dependent on PC.​
It's funny how shitty these big war shooters usually are when it comes to optimization. They always have stupid file sizes, and take super computers to run properly. It's such a slap in the face because they never improve it because people keep buying them. Just like the Madden shit.

They could totally optimize these games to be a lot small, and demand a lot less but they don't bother to do it because there is no reason for them to do it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's funny how shitty these big war shooters usually are when it comes to optimization. They always have stupid file sizes, and take super computers to run properly. It's such a slap in the face because they never improve it because people keep buying them. Just like the Madden shit.

They could totally optimize these games to be a lot small, and demand a lot less but they don't bother to do it because there is no reason for them to do it.
I do know if you have the stupid 10 hour pass (from EA's website/app), and Game Pass, you essentially get the game for free indefinitely for the XBOX consoles.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I do know if you have the stupid 10 hour pass (from EA's website/app), and Game Pass, you essentially get the game for free indefinitely for the XBOX consoles.
Right but you still have to deal with the stupid ass game taking over 50% of your harddrive which is dumb. Mostly the optimization problem is on PC because people don't multitask on their console so if the game uses all the power of the console it's not a big deal, but on PC to have the game eat up all your CPU power you can't stream, voice chats become an issue, and any other tasks your PC is doing are basically fucked until you finish playing.

Good on it for being gamepass free though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Right but you still have to deal with the stupid ass game taking over 50% of your harddrive which is dumb. Mostly the optimization problem is on PC because people don't multitask on their console so if the game uses all the power of the console it's not a big deal, but on PC to have the game eat up all your CPU power you can't stream, voice chats become an issue, and any other tasks your PC is doing are basically fucked until you finish playing.

Good on it for being gamepass free though.
Its mainly uncompressed audio. You get the best audio quality and the most responsive sound, but it takes up a ton of space.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Its mainly uncompressed audio. You get the best audio quality and the most responsive sound, but it takes up a ton of space.
Well not many people need that kind of sound. They should compress the audio by default and if people want the crazy sound let them get it as free DLC or something. Because it's stupid that you don't even have a choice.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well not many people need that kind of sound. They should compress the audio by default and if people want the crazy sound let them get it as free DLC or something. Because it's stupid that you don't even have a choice.
Neither of us know if we need it or not. We don't know how their sound engine works and what would happen if they did compress it down. Sound is really complex, its not like it was back in the Doom days where you could just have a simple sound for a gun shot. With something like battle field you probably have a combination of like 5-10 sounds for a single weapons gun shot, you have the shot sound from first person, from third person nearby, 3rd person distance away from the shot, 3rd person near where the shot traveled, inside a building, outside a building, auto, single shot, etc. That doesn't even mention the huge number of voice lines for player call outs (which probably aren't needed, but kinda part of the AAA).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am not surprised in the slightest by Angry Joe, but I am not watching him. He is justified in this particular rant, so Joe can have at it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Neither of us know if we need it or not. We don't know how their sound engine works and what would happen if they did compress it down. Sound is really complex, its not like it was back in the Doom days where you could just have a simple sound for a gun shot. With something like battle field you probably have a combination of like 5-10 sounds for a single weapons gun shot, you have the shot sound from first person, from third person nearby, 3rd person distance away from the shot, 3rd person near where the shot traveled, inside a building, outside a building, auto, single shot, etc. That doesn't even mention the huge number of voice lines for player call outs (which probably aren't needed, but kinda part of the AAA).
Nah, I'm sorry but that doesn't track. Forza games have different accurate sounds for HUNDREDS of cars they put in the games and they manage to keep their game files sizes to a fraction of what CoD and Battlefield do. They also have high rez textures, and all the crazy shit that CoD and BF brag about.

Games have been compressing and controlling their file sizes since forever, there is no excuse and no reason as to why they can't be compressed. I really don't buy it.

Developers like to bring up excuses like that, when modders and amatuer game makers debunk all the time. Like the time that Madden devs said they had to cut out college teams because the professional helmets used too much graphic memory. It was debunked the day the game came out.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am not surprised in the slightest by Angry Joe, but I am not watching him. He is justified in this particular rant, so Joe can have at it.
I actually thought his CoD Vanguard review was pretty good. Angry Joe's ebegging is almost on DSP's level, but at least his content is well produced. I get why some people don't like him, but he doesn't bother me and I only watch his game content so it's whatever.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nah, I'm sorry but that doesn't track. Forza games have different accurate sounds for HUNDREDS of cars they put in the games and they manage to keep their game files sizes to a fraction of what CoD and Battlefield do. They also have high rez textures, and all the crazy shit that CoD and BF brag about.

Games have been compressing and controlling their file sizes since forever, there is no excuse and no reason as to why they can't be compressed. I really don't buy it.

Developers like to bring up excuses like that, when modders and amatuer game makers debunk all the time. Like the time that Madden devs said they had to cut out college teams because the professional helmets used too much graphic memory. It was debunked the day the game came out.
Are you sure about that? Cause it looks like Forza 5 takes 110 gigs and battlefield takes just 100.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Are you sure about that? Cause it looks like Forza 5 takes 110 gigs and battlefield takes just 100.
The last Cod game was 200+GB.

Forza Horizon 5 is 101GB, Forza 7 was 96, and Forza 6 was only 45GB.

Also keep in mind that BF doesn't have a campaign mode this year, and yet both BF 5 and BF 1 could be fit into the SAME file size 45, 53GB each. So how come they can compress the audio for the last two games which had MP and campaigns, yet this year they can't because.......

EDIT: Cod managed to get their file size below 50GB with Vanguard this year. So BF is clearly doing something wrong.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually thought his CoD Vanguard review was pretty good. Angry Joe's ebegging is almost on DSP's level, but at least his content is well produced. I get why some people don't like him, but he doesn't bother me and I only watch his game content so it's whatever.
Angry Joe is someone who got worst as the years went on. Especially with movie reviews when he brought guys that were pratical yes men that did not offer that much input, or stated the obvious too much. Plus, none of them were clever or funny. I stopped watching AJ since 2016. He's a loud annoying, know-it-all that is not as smart as Joe thinks he is or claims to be. While he is not the level of DSP, Joe is not worth my time and patience. I am glad to have never looked back after leaving.

None of these entries are mine, but I don't blame them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Angry Joe is someone who got worst as the years went on. Especially with movie reviews when he brought guys that were pratical yes men that did not offer that much input, or stated the obvious too much. Plus, none of them were clever or funny. I stopped watching AJ since 2016. He's a loud annoying, know-it-all that is not as smart as Joe thinks he is or claims to be. While he is not the level of DSP, Joe is not worth my time and patience. I am glad to have never looked back after leaving.

None of these entries are mine, but I don't blame them.

Yeah a lot of that is why I dont watch his extended discussions or his movie reviews. His edited reviews and rants are the best content he makes, the other content his just diversitity content he has to do when there aren't enough games to review in a given month.

And i agree that he talks over the other people on his show (alex and OJ), but at the same time i don't think Alex and OJs opinions are ever very different from his so I don't need two other people saying the same shit Joe is saying in a given review or discussion. And fair credit to Joe, he has seemed to have heard a lot of that feedback and has allowed for Alex and OJ to have some breathing room for their opinions when they appear. So at least he does seem to be aware enough to try and make fan requested things happen.

Not that I'm saying you should like him. You don't that's fine. I don't like Sterling anymore so we both have people we like/dislike from each other. No big deal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't like Sterling anymore so we both have people we like/dislike from each other. No big deal.
Same.

Look, I don't consider Sterling perfect either, but at least they still try and have others hobbies that give them joy. Plus, they learned plenty from their past mistakes and chose to improve. Joe on the other hand....clearly doesn't or does not have enough hobbies. For someone that has "angry" in their title, it clearly got forced or tiring for him around the mid 2010s.

I'll end it there, because this thread is about Battlefield, not them.

Reactions: CriticalGaming