Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Guy likes her, reasonably tall, dark, good looking. Makes a good income. Only 27ish and already owns his own home. Kind enough even in this day and age to come to her home and pick her up for a date. And she decided he just isn't "fun" enough... kinda stiff. At least that is what she tells us. Oy. Someone has to tell this kid the facts of life.
Eh, if you don't click you don't click. No point forcing a relationship just because you feel like it "should" work out. Some people are hard to please (I'm one of them). If she doesn't want to settle for less than ideal than that's her business, but she has to be content in herself and the fact that she's probably going to spend quite a bit of time alone. Some people can't stand the thought of not being in a relationship and for some people that's totally normal and not a big deal to be perpetually single.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Eh, if you don't click you don't click. No point forcing a relationship just because you feel like it "should" work out. Some people are hard to please (I'm one of them). If she doesn't want to settle for less than ideal than that's her business, but she has to be content in herself and the fact that she's probably going to spend quite a bit of time alone. Some people can't stand the thought of not being in a relationship and for some people that's totally normal and not a big deal to be perpetually single.
Life is full of choices. We often make the wrong ones and later regret them. Or, life reinforces our choices. I just worry my daughter doesn't really know this and in this case, may one day come to regret that she didn't give this guy more of a chance. ITMT: New info gained! She made a quote from the US version of the show, "The Office" to which he replied, `Oh, I hate that show. All the sarcasm!" At least the missus reminded her of how different me and she are but we make it work, I think, well. Even if you find "the perfect other"... and no one, including surprisingly me, is perfect. People change too. Are they changes to which you can and should adapt? Or don't change. If my wife ever thought I'd stop gaming... well, 32 years later, nope.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Life is full of choices. We often make the wrong ones and later regret them. Or, life reinforces our choices. I just worry my daughter doesn't really know this and in this case, may one day come to regret that she didn't give this guy more of a chance. ITMT: New info gained! She made a quote from the US version of the show, "The Office" to which he replied, `Oh, I hate that show. All the sarcasm!" At least the missus reminded her of how different me and she are but we make it work, I think, well. Even if you find "the perfect other"... and no one, including surprisingly me, is perfect. People change too. Are they changes to which you can and should adapt? Or don't change. If my wife ever thought I'd stop gaming... well, 32 years later, nope.
The old adage: "nice guys finish last." And it's true. Nice guys tend to be more passive and accommodating. The bad boys are more aggressive and alpha which harkens back to our instincts to prefer dominance in potentially procreative relationships. You'd love to think evolution would allow us to discern such cursory distinctions with the well-reasoned and rational thinking we're now capable of, but it's a story as old this spinning blue ball we all share.

It sounds like your daughter is looking to be impressed in some very fickle ways that fly in the face of more substantive and important qualities in a companion. Not saying she's wrong per se; to each their own happiness, but I think with maturity, she'll come to realize how shallow her leanings can be. Everything is possible when you're young and unawares of the finality of our existence, so why settle for "good,", right? Why settle for a good guy when a great guy with six-pack abs, a 7-figure salary and a penchant for extreme sports that moonlights as a bouncer and stand-up comedian might be right around the corner?

Reactions: gorfias

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
God damn Nintendo decides as soon as they can make money from their back catalogue to come down hard on emulation

I have no love for game companies but I'm not about to go out and emulate a Switch or pirate a game.I just don't do that. But I'm also not buying myself a switch for the privilege to access a pre defined list of games that I'm probably not going to be able to access in 10 years. And no I'm not buying one of those shitty little "mini's" consoles since I already own half the games on them IRL on the original hardware. And the original games I buy don't put any money in nintendos pockets anyway.

Basically your options for actually playing some of those older more obscure titles is to drop hundreds of dollars of a swtich or more hundreds of dollars on the original hardware. Vice: Project Doom is a rad game but its not worth that much

and if nintendo takes down the emulation sites then good luck playing classic arcade games in their original form (I mean original in terms of the platform...You can't really play arcade games properly unless its in a seedy bar)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Our class has been trying to answer our assessment for this "basic" electrical engineering class, and despite two weeks of collaborative work amongst all of us students, no one has been able to come up with a solution. The problem being asked of us has never once been discussed in class, which is made even worse by the fact that this was a new addition to the class curriculum and the professors are clearly not used to teaching it. So we have this perfect storm of a poorly defined problem, an inadequately taught lesson, and amateur professors who can't seem to perceive the distance between their understanding of their field and ours.

Oh, and this class is absolutely useless to me and my career path, and remains a required for my degree program because some old fucks back in the 90s thought that for us to be "real" engineers, we need to take these pointless engineering courses from other degree programs.

I'm graduating soon, and I can't help but see college life as a huge gamble reliant mostly on luck.\

EDIT: Oh, and this assessment is composed of just two problems, meaning a single problem comprises a whole 12.5% of our final grade. A single problem will drop our grades by two whole intervals. Engineers just really do make horrible educators.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
God damn Nintendo decides as soon as they can make money from their back catalogue to come down hard on emulation

I have no love for game companies but I'm not about to go out and emulate a Switch or pirate a game.I just don't do that. But I'm also not buying myself a switch for the privilege to access a pre defined list of games that I'm probably not going to be able to access in 10 years. And no I'm not buying one of those shitty little "mini's" consoles since I already own half the games on them IRL on the original hardware. And the original games I buy don't put any money in nintendos pockets anyway.

Basically your options for actually playing some of those older more obscure titles is to drop hundreds of dollars of a swtich or more hundreds of dollars on the original hardware. Vice: Project Doom is a rad game but its not worth that much

and if nintendo takes down the emulation sites then good luck playing classic arcade games in their original form (I mean original in terms of the platform...You can't really play arcade games properly unless its in a seedy bar)
Use an emulator site if you have to. There are plenty to still go around. Just download the games you want to play and just make backups on your hard drives and USB sticks. There's a tons of games I've emulated and kept back up. I suggest you start doing the same.

There is a book I bought recently called . I have not read it yet, but I read a couple of the preface areas, and something struck me as odd. There is an actual trigger warning before you start the story. I get there's always going to be cops and that makes people uncomfortable, and sometimes that's the point of certain media and books, but it's for young adults. At this point, they're going to at least know or semi aware what they're getting themselves into. I just find it odd and silly. It's good to have contacts or look something up in case you don't know, but I feel like they're just trying to cater to oversensitive people or people who wouldn't be reading the story in the first place. I don't know if it was a decision of the author, or of the publisher itself. I believe it's more than likely the latter. I'm starting to wonder if trigger warnings now here in most young adult novels, cuz I honestly don't know. Feel free to inform me, if any of you knows. I didn't need trigger warnings back then for the books I read, and I certainly don't need them now

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Use an emulator site if you have to. There are plenty to still go around. Just download the games you want to play and just make backups on your hard drives and USB sticks. There's a tons of games I've emulated and kept back up. I suggest you start doing the same.
(shoves MAME roms under the desk)

Emulator sites? what are you talking about I would NEVER do such a thing :oops: All my arcade games are original cabinets obviously.
Jokes aside that's exactly what I've been doing. Been working on a list and everything. I don't think they'll ever truly be able to kill it.

Also Cadilacs and Dinosuars is Amazing and I can't believe I didn't know about until last week.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Simulation Hypthoesis/Theory.

Not so much the theory itself, but more some asshats who posit because some civilization could create vast/hyper accurate simulations ALA the matrix, they must and we are either in a simulation or there's a very good chance because......reasons. Elon Musk basically thinks we are definitely in a simulation because.....he's a fucking idiot who thinks he's super smart....sorry, something something probability something something.

I'm open to the idea, but so far what I've read there's no real proof nor does there appear to be any way to actually test this. Some of the proponents are pretty much "Well, we don't understand how the universe works and thus the universe we see is a simuation" which basically feels like God of the Gaps but now we're substituting the matrix for God(s). Or as someone else put it "This is religion for Atheist's". It can't be proven or falsified, it begs the quest if there is a "real" reality anywhere at all(because if we're simulated, how can we know if it's not simulated all the way down). it's true because you like the idea of it and if there's stuff science can't explain or may never be able to explain, then thus my pet theory about how of reality is an illusion MUST BE THE CORRECT ONE.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Simulation Hypthoesis/Theory.

Not so much the theory itself, but more some asshats who posit because some civilization could create vast/hyper accurate simulations ALA the matrix, they must and we are either in a simulation or there's a very good chance because......reasons. Elon Musk basically thinks we are definitely in a simulation because.....he's a fucking idiot who thinks he's super smart....sorry, something something probability something something.

I'm open to the idea, but so far what I've read there's no real proof nor does there appear to be any way to actually test this. Some of the proponents are pretty much "Well, we don't understand how the universe works and thus the universe we see is a simuation" which basically feels like God of the Gaps but now we're substituting the matrix for God(s). Or as someone else put it "This is religion for Atheist's". It can't be proven or falsified, it begs the quest if there is a "real" reality anywhere at all(because if we're simulated, how can we know if it's not simulated all the way down). it's true because you like the idea of it and if there's stuff science can't explain or may never be able to explain, then thus my pet theory about how of reality is an illusion MUST BE THE CORRECT ONE.
Ok, but if the universe is a simulation would that actually change anything about the universe?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Ok, but if the universe is a simulation would that actually change anything about the universe?
Kinda impossible to know since we'd have nothing to compare it to. It's one of my problems with it. If the illusion is apparently so realistic that it's impossible to tell there is an illusion because all our senses and measurements are based on the illusion, it doesn't mean anything aside from a "that's an interesting thought experiment".

It'd be a lot more impressive if there were verifiable supernatural shit like places were time didn't flow correctly or a crack in space time that cannot be explained other the "the matrix is glitching". Instead it's wanking about "If it can happen, it has happened and we're in it" because reality is a binary between zero and one or something. A non-zero probability of something being one doesn't apply to anything else, so you sure as shit don't get to claim it does here.

If you're gonna make the statement of "Reality as we know it is either likely or definitely an computer simulation", I want to see some hard evidence or some flawless logic to support that or else I have to assume this is basically techno-religion cribbing from Buddhism, Gnosticism and/or Plato, that shares some disturbing common ground with flat earthers and young earth creationists. Proof of an outside reality that we are not a part of would be nice for starters.

Last edited:

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Kinda impossible to know since we'd have nothing to compare it to. It's one of my problems with it. If the illusion is apparently so realistic that it's impossible to tell there is an illusion because all our senses and measurements are based on the illusion, it doesn't mean anything aside from a "that's an interesting thought experiment".

It'd be a lot more impressive if there were verifiable supernatural shit like places were time didn't flow correctly or a crack in space time that cannot be explained other the "the matrix is glitching". Instead it's wanking about "If it can happen, it has happened and we're in it" because reality is a binary between zero and one or something
After reading this conversation, I felt the need to post this. . . . . .

On topic. . . . . . . medical complaints. Nothing as severe as what Chimpzy is dealing with, (good luck to you Chimpzy on that, really hope things work out for you), but I am still going to *****, whine and moan about it.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
After reading this conversation, I felt the need to post this. . . . . .

On topic. . . . . . . medical complaints. Nothing as severe as what Chimpzy is dealing with, (good luck to you Chimpzy on that, really hope things work out for you), but I am still going to *****, whine and moan about it.
Gonna raise you this.

Human Music.....I like it.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
People in the chat of video game streams that talk about things that aren't related to the game being played, their personal lives, kids, pets, dresses, etc. Keep it on topic people!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So Linus of Linus Tech Tips recently had a brainwave, claiming that blocking ads while watching a video is a form of piracy. (He later claimed that he meant it in more of a moral sense than legal.) Leonard French, a copyright attorney, took the stance that piracy is a distinctly separate issue from blocking advertisements. The original LTT clip can be found at the end of his video here:

However, that's not what I want to talk about here. What I want to talk about is the following comment that I see very often in discussions like this:

"YouTube was better when people made content for passion instead of for profit."

Because anyone who says that doesn't actually mean that. What they do mean is "YouTube was better when people worked second, unpaid, full-time jobs to entertain me, because that's what I deserve". So by writing that comment, you out yourself as a shithead who should be forced to work your own job without pay until you actually understand that someone else trying to make a living off of their passion is not some sort of personal affront to you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So Linus of Linus Tech Tips recently had a brainwave, claiming that blocking ads while watching a video is a form of piracy. (He later claimed that he meant it in more of a moral sense than legal.) Leonard French, a copyright attorney, took the stance that piracy is a distinctly separate issue from blocking advertisements.
I can see where his train of thought came from: I recall when those TiVo fucking things were becoming big that there was a huge stink about some that had the ability to automatically remove the adverts from recordings. Less fuss was made about users having the ability to manually do so after the fact, and I seem to recall a court case either in the United States or Australia about the legality of recording off free to air television and radio. The outcome I remember was the broadcasters being invited to take long walks off short piers. But I'm open to correction on that.

Like he's wrong, as the legal expert says, but I can see where the train of thought got put onto the incorrect track.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I really don't get why people devote thought to theories that aren't in any way actionable (yes philosophy is all theory but its still a very real thing that affects our morals and believes.) Unless we can actually do anything about being in a simulation who cares?...unless they dude tech-feudo-lords who run this planet think it's true so that when things inevitably go tits up we'll get unplugged and it turns out its all fine and- oh great I made myself more depressed.

Simulation theory is silly but ROKO'S BASILISK now there's something that really makes you think

Obviously sarcasm roko's snakey snake sounds like it was thought up by a 12 year old.

Reactions: Dalisclock