Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
AI making people more trustworthy than actual people

View attachment 5559

And if you wanna play around with a face randomiser, here's a link that generates one every time it's loaded. Once in a while it messes up with frightening Cronenbergian results too...

You bastard. I just spent the first 10 minutes of my workday refreshing that page trying to find a Cronenbergian result. And that's not to say that I'm done trying, just complaining that I don't need this in my life right now.

But yeah, if the theory that as AI evolves and is tasked with righting the world's problems, it'll eventually rationalize that people are the problem, and kill us all, this is step one. When it realizes that it can "create better people than people," it'll purse its lips and massage it's beard as it stares up and to the left with a furrowed brow... then Skynet.

I nearly accidentally cut my nipple off with my own fingernail.
See what I mean? Skynet will use this as just another data point to justify it's position for mass extinction.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
And if you wanna play around with a face randomiser, here's a link that generates one every time it's loaded. Once in a while it messes up with frightening Cronenbergian results too...

I think I got one! The guy looks real, but what in 01000111 01101111 01100100's green earth is that to the right?? It has hair, whatever it is...

I'm noticing now it appears to have problems with non-focal subjects. A lot of half faces on the perimeter of the frame get thrown into a blender.

1645020903732.png

EDIT: I have done zero word yet today...

1645021382276.png

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I think I got one! The guy looks real, but what in 01000111 01101111 01100100's green earth is that to the right?? It has hair, whatever it is...

I'm noticing now it appears to have problems with non-focal subjects. A lot of half faces on the perimeter of the frame get thrown into a blender.

View attachment 5562

View attachment 5564
Yeah it seems the main culprit is the background algorithm for going squiffy. Only got a couple of examples saved at mo, more like weird alien photo bombers 👀👀👀
Screenshot_2021-10-26-14-39-08-61_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-26-14-34-12-14_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-26-14-33-49-96_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-26-14-30-02-72_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-27-21-45-22-50_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
AI making people more trustworthy than actual people

View attachment 5559

It's both scary and then wierd when you realize Disney keeps trying to do this to Mark Hamill and keeps....not doing it well. Meanwhile, Sebastian Stan is crying somewhere.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

View attachment 5562

View attachment 5564
This is instant creepypasta gold right here.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We got derailed; I can't imagine the force necessary to nearly cut one's own nipple of with a finger nail. Please explain.
You know how when you go to pick up a carton of milk or juice and you think it's full so your arm's muscle memory processes it with the appropriate amount of strength needed to lift it, but then it turns out the carton is actually empty so your arms shoots up? It was kinda like that. A normal rapid arm movement that I'd performed countless times without ever noticing, only this time it was too close to my manboob and with a fingernail that had grown too long on my thumb.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You know how when you go to pick up a carton of milk or juice and you think it's full so your arm's muscle memory processes it with the appropriate amount of strength needed to lift it, but then it turns out the carton is actually empty so your arms shoots up? It was kinda like that. A normal rapid arm movement that I'd performed countless times without ever noticing, only this time it was too close to my manboob and with a fingernail that had grown too long on my thumb.
Ah, gotcha. To empathize, a couple years ago, during one of my signature spaz moments trying to swat a mosquito, I slapped myself directly in my testicles.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It's both scary and then wierd when you realize Disney keeps trying to do this to Mark Hamill and keeps....not doing it well. Meanwhile, Sebastian Stan is crying somewhere.
Hey, it could be worse, it could be whatever's trying to advertise on the Escapist main site to me as "realistic human" 😉

Screenshot_2022-02-16-17-07-18-30_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
See what I mean? Skynet will use this as just another data point to justify it's position for mass extinction.
More likely Skynet would realize how likely it is that we'll just exterminate ourselves (via bleeding out through accidental severing of nipples) and just wait us out.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Windows update just broke my DS3 controller drivers and I had to spend an hour rolling back updates and eventually just doing a system restore to get it working again. I don't even think there's a way to stop it from just reinstalling the offending update again whenever it wants. Thanks Microsoft.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I booked a last-minute getaway this weekend to cabin with a hot tub.

Current weather forecast in the area is likely a lot of rain, and, uh, "a good chance that flying debris could result in a danger to life"

Still probably going, though.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
More likely Skynet would realize how likely it is that we'll just exterminate ourselves (via bleeding out through accidental severing of nipples) and just wait us out.
Really, my first answer to Fermis Paradox is that if there are aliens, they're letting us destroy ourselves because they don't want our insanity infecting the rest of the galaxy or they want our stuff but it's less work to just let us suicide ourselves before they come down and strip mine the planet or whatever. If we can't handle a (relatively) benign planet like earth without destroying ourselves, we sure as can't handle the desolation of space.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Really, my first answer to Fermis Paradox is that if there are aliens, they're letting us destroy ourselves because they don't want our insanity infecting the rest of the galaxy or they want our stuff but it's less work to just let us suicide ourselves before they come down and strip mine the planet or whatever. If we can't handle a (relatively) benign planet like earth without destroying ourselves, we sure as can't handle the desolation of space.
I never understood the "paradox" in the Fermi Paradox. Given the vastness of the universe and our limited capabilities to adequately explore it, it's completely reasonable to think finding life on other planets, despite the likelihood of it existing is still extremely low. And the same goes for any other space-faring life that might be out there. It's like amoeba with 12-second lifespans playing "Marco Polo" in the Pacific Ocean. It should be called "Fermi Logic."

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I never understood the "paradox" in the Fermi Paradox. Given the vastness of the universe and our limited capabilities to adequately explore it, it's completely reasonable to think finding life on other planets, despite the likelihood of it existing is still extremely low. And the same goes for any other space-faring life that might be out there. It's like amoeba with 12-second lifespans playing "Marco Polo" in the Pacific Ocean. It should be called "Fermi Logic."
I know the idea is that given enough time, any spacefairing species will colonize all available planets. I think the flaw is that it discounts the idea intelligent species might not want to do so for whatever reason. It feels like an inherently capitalistic/expansionist mindset that growth needs to be infinite forever rather as opposed to reaching some kind of equilibrium where enough is actually enough. "We have 5 planets. We have more then enough room and resources. No need to go colonize everything"

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I know the idea is that given enough time, any spacefairing species will colonize all available planets. I think the flaw is that it discounts the idea intelligent species might not want to do so for whatever reason. It feels like an inherently capitalistic/expansionist mindset that growth needs to be infinite forever rather as opposed to reaching some kind of equilibrium where enough is actually enough. "We have 5 planets. We have more then enough room and resources. No need to go colonize everything"
I think the bigger issue is the odds of two space-faring races running into each other. It would mean a similar pace of evolution, at the same time, achieving interstellar capability, AND meeting each other. Better odds of running into someone with your identical fingerprint.

Tangentially off topic, I've shared this video before, but it is fascinating. The good stuff starts about the 7 minute mark, but the previous minutes give it context:

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My girlfriend and her son had their cat of 15 years put down tonight. I've complained about that cat plenty in this forum, and now I feel like a total ass. I cried because I hate to see my family in pain. I'd give might right arm to get that stupid cat back.