Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What kind of dinosaurs can handle winter…oh yup, the genetically GMO kind!

This is probably not much of a hot take anymore, but anyone that complains about Panty and Stocking having the same problems as Family Guy are full of it. Odds are they did not want to like the show to begin with, and only disliked it, because too many people hyped the show up. P&S does have its problems, has pop culture references (not to the crazy extent of FG) that became dated, and has plenty of random humor. The only difference is P&S is at least honest about its raunchy, low brow humor. FG tries to have it both ways in its later seasons. Also, I can still laugh for a good reasons in P&S. I can't say the same for FG. Another trivia, the former team at Gainax (now at their own studio, Trigger) were shit faced drunk and high at their Chistmas party. In order to come up with such absurd show, I don't know why people acted that surprised or were upset. The after credit ending still sucked, and should be avoided and ignored.

Next to Naru and Kagome, Anna Kyoyama is the third worst love interest in anime history. We have another entitled biatch in an anime/manga where abuse is okay as long as it's female on male. Fuck that. I always despised her. What's worse is that she's a bigger moocher than Minnie the Moocher. You want to be Shaman Queen, yet work your boyfriend to death so he can reach his both of yours your dream. But, while you are capable of fighting and etc., you rather not trains as much. Why don't you do it yourself you lazy biatch? I don't care about your sad childhood! Cry me a fucking river! There's plenty of other shounen characters and protagonists to tell you to get off your ass, and do it yourself.

Out of all the old shows on Cartoon Network: Billy and Mandy is one of the shows to age the worst. It does not help that some or all of the writers love Mandy too much. And we're supposed to like her or see her win, because she's a big jerk ass that is "smarter and powerful" than anyone else. It's the writers saying fuck you! Mandy only loses some of the times, but that became less and less as the show went on. Also, she is another self-entitled misanthropic douche bag, so she wins no points for me.

Dexter's Lab I can't watch anymore because Dee Dee nearly ruins each episode for me. Ed, Edd, n Eddy is too frustrating to rewatch. I can watch the movie, but that is my threshold. Fuck off Kevin, and fuck off Sara!

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

What kind of dinosaurs can handle winter…oh yup, the genetically GMO kind!
Now that you mention it, fuck this next stage of nostalgia baiting with 'look, it's the old actors from the movie(s) you actually liked in our new, cynical cash-grab sequel/reboot'. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Terminator: Dark Fate, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and we got the upcoming Flash with Micheal Keaton, now this Jurrasic Park World. Jesus Christ, I'm so fucking sick of it, and audiences just seems to be eating this shit up. *sigh* Also, did they think we forgot Sam Neil and Laura Dern were already in a shitty JP sequel?

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now that you mention it, fuck this next stage of nostalgia baiting with 'look, it's the old actors from the movie(s) you actually liked in our new, cynical cash-grab sequel/reboot'. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Terminator: Dark Fate, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and we got the upcoming Flash with Micheal Keaton, now this Jurrasic Park World. Jesus Christ, I'm so fucking sick of it, and audiences just seems to be eating this shit up. *sigh* Also, did they think we forgot Sam Neil and Laura Dern were already in a shitty JP sequel?
I actually like No Way Home. Force Awakens is average. I heavily agree on Dark Fate and After Life. I deliberately chose not to go see Dark Fate and Afterlife, because I am not that nostalgic for the Ghostbusters franchise. Where's my adaption of Xtreme, damn it?! Keaton's appearance in Flash I necessarily do not mind, and curious. I skipped Fallen Kingdom, because I knew how bad the movie was going to be. I am only seeing Dominion for Dr. Grant, and ol' Goldblum. After that, this is the final movie as far as I am concerned. Plus, at least it does something different and is not another dinosaur park. We can add Digimon Tri and the both FLCL sequels for bad nostalgia baiting to the list. I have no problem with that

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
There’s still and will probably always be a huge market for spectacle, and the home theater technophiles also appreciate it. If we want deeper, more meaningful and thoughtful stories, that’s where TV and streaming enter the fray.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
When I saw the latest Spiderman in the theater- which I enjoyed for the stupid loud action movie it is- I was really dismayed at the cheers that erupted when Garfield and Maguire showed up. Like- first of all, who didn't know that this is what the movie was? But worse, exactly what you say- so what, an actor from another movie. You really can't blame film producers for doing stuff like this if audiences eat it up.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
When I saw the latest Spiderman in the theater- which I enjoyed for the stupid loud action movie it is- I was really dismayed at the cheers that erupted when Garfield and Maguire showed up. Like- first of all, who didn't know that this is what the movie was? But worse, exactly what you say- so what, an actor from another movie. You really can't blame film producers for doing stuff like this if audiences eat it up.
In fairness, I think it has a lot to do with how these actors ended their tenures as Spider-man. Spider-man 3 is enjoyable for all the wrong reasons, and I think most people forgot the entire The Amazing Spider-man attempt even existed. Its exciting to see these actors have a second chance at the roles, and I for one especially enjoyed Garfield's performance this time around.

In contrast, I could not give less of a shit about Patrick Stewart being in Dr Strange 2. For me, his Charles Xavier died in Logan, a very good movie, and I have absolutely no problems never seeing him reprise the role again. If Robert Downey Jr himself came back as Iron Man somehow, I'd just be "Eh? Seriously?".

OT: Demon Slayer: Mugen Train, the most successful anime movie of all time, is just okay. I was excited to see how Ufotable would handle having a hashira around, when they made a relatively weak Tanjiro look so amazing in Season 1. Turns out Rengoku, while still the bestest boi, doesn't do much cool shit. Uzui Tengen's scenes in Season 2 absolutely blows the climatic fight from the movie out of the water. They also spend way too much time in dream world. These were important scenes, but they felt drawn out. Considering how short the arc is in the manga, it does makes sense that they would turn it unto a movie, but it doesn't really feel like they went all out like it is usually done for anime movies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
: Demon Slayer: Mugen Train, the most successful anime movie of all time, is just okay. I was excited to see how Ufotable would handle having a hashira around, when they made a relatively weak Tanjiro look so amazing in Season 1. Turns out Rengoku, while still the bestest boi, doesn't do much cool shit. Uzui Tengen's scenes in Season 2 absolutely blows the climatic fight from the movie out of the water. They also spend way too much time in dream world. These were important scenes, but they felt drawn out. Considering how short the arc is in the manga, it does makes sense that they would turn it unto a movie, but it doesn't really feel like they went all out like it is usually done for anime movies
Demon Slayer is just the new hotness right now. I can see the appeal, but it's same old, same old to me. I find it to be this generation's Bleach or Inuyasha. Demon Slayer is better than Inuyasha, so I'll give it that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Demon Slayer is just the new hotness right now. I can see the appeal, but it's same old, same old to me. I find it to be this generation's Bleach or Inuyasha. Demon Slayer is better than Inuyasha, so I'll give it that.
It doesn't do anything new per se, but big plus points are the absolutely gorgeous animation and that there isn't too many annoying shounen tropes. No half baked romance, very little angst, and no outright sex criminal characters.

Oh, and that they don't follow the usual 24 episode format/weekly release anymore. Allows them to really focus on maintaining quality, unlike all the filler shit most shounen shovel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It doesn't do anything new per se, but big plus points are the absolutely gorgeous animation and that there isn't too many annoying shounen tropes. No half baked romance, very little angst, and no outright sex criminal characters.

Oh, and that they don't follow the usual 24 episode format/weekly release anymore. Allows them to really focus on maintaining quality, unlike all the filler shit most shounen shovel.
I've heard how good the animation is and I seen it for myself. I'll give it credit towards that. I still don't feel invested in watching the series though. I'm glad the show has it's fans.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Princess Mononoke isn't that great. I don't think it's a bad film by any means but when when I hear people say it's one of the best Ghibli (oh, my spell check recognizes Ghibli) films I just kinda shrug. Im not sure what I can point to about it to express myself but something just feels kinda off about the characters, how the violence is presented, and it kind of doesn't feel like the plot... I don't know, Something about the movie feels off to me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Princess Mononoke isn't that great. I don't think it's a bad film by any means but when when I hear people say it's one of the best Ghibli (oh, my spell check recognizes Ghibli) films I just kinda shrug. Im not sure what I can point to about it to express myself but something just feels kinda off about the characters, how the violence is presented, and it kind of doesn't feel like the plot... I don't know, Something about the movie feels off to me.
It's one of the best for me. I admit that part of it was because it was my first Studio Ghibli film I ever saw at the age of 10. The first time I've ever heard of those guys. I can see where you're kind of coming from, but nothing really ever felt off to me for the movie. Why I enjoy it so much is that it's an environmentalist movie, but it doesn't make all humans out to be bastards or monsters. Unlike a majority of them from the 90s and 2000s. It's a gray and gray morality. You understand the humans or the spirits/animal gods motives, but do not necessarily agree with them.

This is a problem that still happens today with these type of movies that focus on the environment. Or try to keep it black and white with little grays in between. See Legend of Korra with its conflicts of humans versus spirits. Boy did they screw that up hard!

I will say the pacing does start a little slow, but once it picks up. It picks up. The dubbing is great as far as I'm concerned, and it still holds up well like most of the studios output. Princess Mononoke I have seen many times.

As far as a violence goes, it didn't bother me. I admit that as a kid, I was not expecting it to get that bloody. I wasn't that used to blood yet in animated movies. The entire point was so how beautiful, but brutal the world was in at that time period. Battles and Wars are bloody and are not cleanly swift. This was still in a time when the samurai were very high in power and influence, and they can do whatever they see fit. Consequences be damned.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's one of the best for me. I admit that part of it was because it was my first Studio Ghibli film I ever saw at the age of 10. The first time I've ever heard of those guys. I can see where you're kind of coming from, but nothing really ever felt off to me for the movie. Why I enjoy it so much is that it's an environmentalist movie, but it doesn't make all humans out to be bastards or monsters. Unlike a majority of them from the 90s and 2000s. It's a gray and gray morality. You understand the humans or the spirits/animal gods motives, but do not necessarily agree with them.

This is a problem that still happens today with these type of movies that focus on the environment. Or try to keep it black and white with little grays in between. See Legend of Korra with its conflicts of humans versus spirits. Boy did they screw that up hard!

I will say the pacing does start a little slow, but once it picks up. It picks up. The dubbing is great as far as I'm concerned, and it still holds up well like most of the studios output. Princess Mononoke I have seen many times.

As far as a violence goes, it didn't bother me. I admit that as a kid, I was not expecting it to get that bloody. I wasn't that used to blood yet in animated movies. The entire point was so how beautiful, but brutal the world was in at that time period. Battles and Wars are bloody and are not swiftly. This was still in a time when the samurai were very high in power and influence, and they can do whatever they see fit. Consequences be damned.
I admit it's probably just a me thing. Like I said, I don't think it's a bad movie, and I don't actually dislike it, just that something about it always felt off in regards to connecting to me that prevented it from being one of the greats in my eyes. I think my thing with the violence is just that it doesn't feel like the characters are reacting to it how I think they should, like how Eboshi seems completely nonplussed from losing an arm. I'm not asking for five minutes of whinging over these kinds of things, it just feels like a slight offness that bugs me personally. My favorite movie is Castle in the Sky and I'd say The Cat Returns deserves more appreciation than it gets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I admit it's probably just a me thing. Like I said, I don't think it's a bad movie, and I don't actually dislike it, just that something about it always felt off in regards to connecting to me that prevented it from being one of the greats in my eyes. I think my thing with the violence is just that it doesn't feel like the characters are reacting to it how I think they should, like how Eboshi seems completely nonplussed from losing an arm. I'm not asking for five minutes of whinging over these kinds of things, it just feels like a slight offness that bugs me personally. My favorite movie is Castle in the Sky and I'd say The Cat Returns deserves more appreciation than it gets.
I can't speak for The Cat Returns, but Castle In The Sky got plenty of appreciation, and still does now. It definitely got it during the redub in the early 2000s.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mononoke holds a very special place in my heart because it was the first Ghibli movie I saw in a cinema. And there's no denying even if the story isn't 100% amazing, its still a very pretty movie. And its soulful, got lots of emotion and heart.

If I had to really boil down the ones I've seen, I'd probably hold Porco Rosso up as the best one, followed probably by Nausica. But without Mononoke, I'd never have been inspired to check them out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I heard that there is already fake outrage about The Batman being "too long and/or too dark". I find this already a bullshit complaint, because one, Batman Begins is a movie that is way too long, and two: the animated The Killing Joke is way darker than its original version and other Batman stories for the wrong and edge lord reasons. College aged Barbara Bat Girl having sex with Batman on the roof?! Bruce Timm fucked up and should not be allowed to direct any more Batman stories, if this is how he gonna keep going. I find it funny that these same idiotic fans, who are part of the outrage hype machine, are the same ones who always want to B-man (and many DC stories) to be "dark and gritty", but now are complaining about a Batman film (they have not seen yet) being too dark.

You imbeciles can get bent and fuck off. Your misery on yourselves means I'll enjoy the movie even more, and have a great time.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I heard that there is already fake outrage about The Batman being "too long and/or too dark". I find this already a bullshit complaint, because one, Batman Begins is a movie that is way too long, and two: the animated The Killing Joke is way darker than its original version and other Batman stories for the wrong and edge lord reasons. College aged Barbara Bat Girl having sex with Batman on the roof?! Bruce Timm fucked up and should not be allowed to direct any more Batman stories, if this is how he gonna keep going. I find it funny that these same idiotic fans, who are part of the outrage hype machine, are the same ones who always want to B-man (and many DC stories) to be "dark and gritty", but now are complaining about a Batman film (they have not seen yet) being too dark.

You imbeciles can get bent and fuck off. Your misery on yourselves means I'll enjoy the movie even more, and have a great time.
Bruce Timm was the producer; not the director. And I believe it was Brian Azzarello who actually wrote the screen treatment that added that really creepy bullshit between Barbara and Batman. Although as the probable senior producer, Timm gave it the tick of approval so the pair of them can hang together for it.