The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Griffith reference in my From Software game? Why I never!
A Berserk reference in a Dark Souls style game? Who else, but From Software.

*Facepalms* How did I not see that reference?
Think, Dalisclock, think! It's all they ever do or know now!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
New trailer -

Also, there’s at least one area graphically where FROM has outdone the Demon’s Souls Remake -

I’m artistically challenged myself but can’t wait to see what other people come up with for custom characters.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The moment of truth for PC players -

Also,

I briefly paniced when I saw the GPU requirements and was relieved to see my video card meets the min spec.

Because I took another look and even buying a 1070 or 1080 is still pricey as fuck, let alone a 20XX or even 30XX card.

Honestly my wish right now is for every crypto miner to go fucking bankrupt and crypto crash so GPUS will become affordable again.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Whew. I just barely make the minimum. Prices are getting better where I am but not good enough to justify an upgrade.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Whew. I just barely make the minimum. Prices are getting better where I am but not good enough to justify an upgrade.
Yeah, I'm seeing 1060/1080's go for the price of a PS5(assuming you can find one). 1060's are like a 5 year old card at this point.

WTF GPU industry?

And again, if somehow it were possible to make GPUs explode when used for mining, I'm not saying I'd be sad or anything.

Oh wait, then cards would be even harder to find because the crypto bros would doubtless blow up cards left and right pursuing their imaginary money. Fuck.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’m going to double up my memory if nothing else, as I don’t like being exactly at the recommended amount since I’ve had to switch to power mode to prevent stuttering in RDR2. I can handle being slightly under the CPU with an i7-7700 and exactly at the GPU because I think the open world will tax the RAM most here.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm almost tempted to get it on release and play it while the multiplayer function is disabled, so that I can experience the game without the worry of some shitstain invading just to ruin the game for me.

But no, this is probably another $15 Steam sale purchase like Dark Souls was, for the six hours I ended up playing that.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'm almost tempted to get it on release and play it while the multiplayer function is disabled, so that I can experience the game without the worry of some shitstain invading just to ruin the game for me.

But no, this is probably another $15 Steam sale purchase like Dark Souls was, for the six hours I ended up playing that.
I'm gonna say if you didn't like Dark Souls or any of the other Soulsy FROM games, wait until it's cheap in like a year or two(or don't buy it). Because it's pretty much gonna be open world dark souls. Nobody whose played it(that I've seen anyway) has really indicated otherwise.

FROM knows what they wanna do and it's Souls type games. They may be Souls type games with some variation(sekiro) but they're not gonna be crazy different from each other.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Oh no, the PC requirements include Ryzen 3300 min, and I "only" have a 2600. I have had no problems with any games with it and I was not expecting to have to upgrade for a freaking FromSoftware game, which historically not been the ones to push specs.
:(

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Oh no, the PC requirements include Ryzen 3300 min, and I "only" have a 2600. I have had no problems with any games with it and I was not expecting to have to upgrade for a freaking FromSoftware game, which historically not been the ones to push specs.
:(
But then the huge Normandy invasion setpiece while you're hanging out the back of an airplane will run like molasses in January! Think of the Frame Rates!

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Yeah, I'm seeing 1060/1080's go for the price of a PS5(assuming you can find one). 1060's are like a 5 year old card at this point.

WTF GPU industry?

And again, if somehow it were possible to make GPUs explode when used for mining, I'm not saying I'd be sad or anything.

Oh wait, then cards would be even harder to find because the crypto bros would doubtless blow up cards left and right pursuing their imaginary money. Fuck.
The perplexing thing is how bunched up the prices are. It varies due to all the different versions of each card, but where I am the difference between a 1650, 2060, 3050 and 3060 is like 100 to 150 bucks. And then you go up one step and it's 700 dollars extra. There's tonnes of 3050 stock but nobody is buying cause it costs the same as a 3060 so why bother, just wait for 3060 stock

I’m going to double up my memory if nothing else, as I don’t like being exactly at the recommended amount since I’ve had to switch to power mode to prevent stuttering in RDR2. I can handle being slightly under the CPU with an i7-7700 and exactly at the GPU because I think the open world will tax the RAM most here.

Luckily I do some types of modelling on my computer so I have a really good cpu and a lot of high speed ram even if everything else is bargain bin.

I do think the minimum specs are funny though. I know a 1060 is not a light card l, but it's two generations old and well behind current powerhouses. I'd like to think games companies are tacitly admitting that it's not realistic for consumers to be on the current gen or even last gen and so graphics demands are being aligned to the last run of cards people could reasonably be expected to have. Even the recommended specs are not necessarily mind blowing, and if it wasn't for the current bullshit price points of GPUs I would honestly consider this to be a fairly light upgrade expectation for a brand new open world game having graphical depth and detail similar to other From soft games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The perplexing thing is how bunched up the prices are. It varies due to all the different versions of each card, but where I am the difference between a 1650, 2060, 3050 and 3060 is like 100 to 150 bucks. And then you go up one step and it's 700 dollars extra. There's tonnes of 3050 stock but nobody is buying cause it costs the same as a 3060 so why bother, just wait for 3060 stock

Luckily I do some types of modelling on my computer so I have a really good cpu and a lot of high speed ram even if everything else is bargain bin.

I do think the minimum specs are funny though. I know a 1060 is not a light card l, but it's two generations old and well behind current powerhouses. I'd like to think games companies are tacitly admitting that it's not realistic for consumers to be on the current gen or even last gen and so graphics demands are being aligned to the last run of cards people could reasonably be expected to have. Even the recommended specs are not necessarily mind blowing, and if it wasn't for the current bullshit price points of GPUs I would honestly consider this to be a fairly light upgrade expectation for a brand new open world game having graphical depth and detail similar to other From soft games.
What I’m still trying to wrap my head around with these specs is the fact that a recent core i5 is still leagues beyond the toaster chips found in last gen consoles, yet apparently they will run fine if the network test is still anything to go by. Maybe their GPU compute stuff is really picking up that much slack, idk.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Don’t watch the first yet if you plan to go in blind story wise -

Last but certainly not least -

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have a business trip this week and when I get back it will be Elden Ring time!

I'm gonna have to juggle between Horizon and Elden, which should be interesting. Then on the fucking 4th I'll then balance between those AND Gran Turismo 7.

Maybe I can finish Horizon by then.