Ukraine

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I wouldn't be too optimistic about sanctions. Apparently Russia used the last few years to turn their economy into a fortress economy where they minimize their reliance on other countries and build up vast reserves to stomach sanctions for years.
Meanwhile, half of Europe shot itself in the head eleven years ago when it collectively deuced its pants after Fukushima, bailed on nuclear power, and latched itself firmly onto the Russian fossil fuels teat...while simultaneously bull-baiting, trying to get Ukraine into NATO. Putin et. al. know damn well their geopolitical "opposition" to this is a paper tiger, he has the economic leverage to pull this off, and his own "opponents" are the ones responsible. This is 100% "The West's" chickens coming home to roost after a decade of absolute stupidity.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

TLDR: The situation in Russia is that the older generation Supports this because they want to recapture the pride and Glory days of the Soviet Union while the younger generation Opposes it because they feel like this will Throw away their future.

Additionally many Russians have family in Ukraine and many Russians were honestly shocked that They were actually going to war, They thought it was Western propaganda. If not a good thing to have a divided population on your war.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I like Biden. I do. But what is it he thinks is going to happen here? The 70 year old ex-KGB oligarch billionaire is going to be moved by the economic plight of the Russian people in 10 years and retroactively call off the invasion? And that's assuming European nations actually go along with sanctions against the country that controls almost 75% of their oil supply.

EDIT: Well that didn't fucking take long: https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-should-not-be-cut-off-swift-moment-germanys-scholz-2022-02-24/

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Olaf Scholz said:
It is very important that we agree those measures that have been prepared - and keep everything else for a situation where it may be necessary to go beyond that.
Holding it in reserve? Still? How much more invasiony do things need to get?

Let's not pretend this is about cautiousness or reservation. It's an international payment system. It would cost them money.

Reactions: thestor

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I like Biden. I do. But what is it he thinks is going to happen here? The 70 year old ex-KGB oligarch billionaire is going to be moved by the economic plight of the Russian people in 10 years and retroactively call off the invasion? And that's assuming European nations actually go along with sanctions against the country that controls almost 75% of their oil supply.

EDIT: Well that didn't fucking take long: https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-should-not-be-cut-off-swift-moment-germanys-scholz-2022-02-24/
The thing is nuclear war. United States can't send troops to Ukraine without incurring nuclear conflict. Sanctions are the best shot for not ending the world. This is a really hard situation and I would pity any president in it.

Also the entire Ukraine situation is not look good on Germany new ruling party Especially with their tough stance against nuclear. This could kill them in the next election cycle

Reactions: Dalisclock

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The thing is nuclear war. United States can't send troops to Ukraine without incurring nuclear conflict. Sanctions are the best shot for not ending the world. This is a really hard situation and I would pity any president in it.

Also the entire Ukraine situation is not look good on Germany new ruling party Especially with their tough stance against nuclear. This could kill them in the next election cycle
The problem is sanctions have never done anything. Didn't work in Crimea. The world is trying to shame and starve a man who is not only shameless but controls billions. Are we really pinning our hopes for a resolution to this invasion on Vladimir Putin growing a conscious and feeling bad for Russian small businesses?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I love how Russia/the USSR in the past can invade these countries

But you guys on this forum won't shut up about Chile, Cuba, and Iraq. When was the last time this forum attacked Russia for being imperialists other than right now? Oh but it was a long time ago, I am pretty sure only the US is the bad guy.

But the way in the Afgan-Soviet war the USSR was dropping bomb toys on children, if the US had been as indiscriminate in its fighting as the USSR you lefties would be calling for the Hague until your throats bleed.

I told you Russia was bad.

Reactions: thestor

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
2. It seems like a least a part of the Russian military Soldiers didn't actually know they were going to invade, Their morale may be low because of this. When one side is fighting against a hated Enemy who subjugated them many times before and and the other doesn't even know why they're here that's gonna somewhat mess with your invasion plans.
I remember seeing a report some time ago that many Russian soldiers stationed at the Ukrainian border were living in less than great conditions, having to sleep on the floor, going without rations for days, needing to pay out of own pocket for food, sometimes even having to rely on charity from the locals when their money ran out.

I have no way of actually verifying that, but I do know that history has proven many times that a cold, tired and hungry soldier is often not a loyal one.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Because, of course, until you'd been proven quite so obviously wrong, you'd been carrying on. And on. And on.
He will continue to carry on and on indefinitely. Either enjoy the engagement for what it is, or move along.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The problem is sanctions have never done anything. Didn't work in Crimea. The world is trying to shame and starve a man who is not only shameless but controls billions. Are we really pinning our hopes for a resolution to this invasion on Vladimir Putin growing a conscious and feeling bad for Russian small businesses?
That's not the point of sanction, sanction is to push the people underneath Putin to either change his mind or change leader. It's a long shoot but its better than nothing and the only other alternative is military action/invasion and no one want to test how serious Putin is about using nuke.

Also economic sanction have had plenty of success, apartheid south africa is a good example. USSR ultimatly collapse because of economic problem too, not because it was invaded.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I love how Russia/the USSR in the past can invade these countries

But you guys on this forum won't shut up about Chile, Cuba, and Iraq. When was the last time this forum attacked Russia for being imperialists other than right now? Oh but it was a long time ago, I am pretty sure only the US is the bad guy.

But the way in the Afgan-Soviet war the USSR was dropping bomb toys on children, if the US had been as indiscriminate in its fighting as the USSR you lefties would be calling for the Hague until your throats bleed.

I told you Russia was bad.
Hey, I kept pointing out Modi as bad especially when people were worried about China, thank you

Anyway, what is this nonsense? Is this meant to be a guilt trip to something? Just because people didn't bring up Russia as frequently as you wanted it means what exactly?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But you guys on this forum won't shut up about Chile, Cuba, and Iraq. When was the last time this forum attacked Russia for being imperialists other than right now?
The fuck are you talking about? Imperialism and military aggression is frequently condemned by users on this forum, including old Soviet examples. If you've missed it, you've not been paying attention.

But yeah, it's pretty fucking normal for people to focus more on more recent instances. And most instances from the US are much more recent (or even ongoing). That's not a double standard. It's completely normal and rational.

You're living on the moon.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, that whole "whipping the US public into a third Red Scare because orange man" thing isn't looking too smart in retrospect, is it. Biden has to be seen looking "tough on Russia" to appease the boomers and MSNBC-brainwormed liberals among us, and the reality is the US wouldn't be able to do shit, even if the rest of NATO wasn't busy breaking out the kneepads and chapstick.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeah, that whole "whipping the US public into a third Red Scare because orange man" thing isn't looking too smart in retrospect, is it. Biden has to be seen looking "tough on Russia" to appease the boomers and MSNBC-brainwormed liberals among us, and the reality is the US wouldn't be able to do shit, even if the rest of NATO wasn't busy breaking out the kneepads and chapstick.
I mean Trump becoming president was absolutely a win for Putin. Both of them openly said so at the time, and continue to do so to this day.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If I were the US government every single computer in Russia would be targeted with every single type of cyberattack besides their power grid, hospitals, critical infrastructure, and agriculture sites, and of course, I would cut off SWFT from Russia.

Putin is a tin-pot dictator, and living proof of why every country needs age limits on serving as head of state, and we need a long-term elimination plan for every dictatorship, and dictatorial regime.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The fuck are you talking about? Imperialism and military aggression is frequently condemned by users on this forum, including old Soviet examples. If you've missed it, you've not been paying attention.

But yeah, it's pretty fucking normal for people to focus more on more recent instances. And most instances from the US are much more recent (or even ongoing). That's not a double standard. It's completely normal and rational.

You're living on the moon.
1. The Russian invasions were More indiscriminate in their targeting

2. Russia/the USSR are shithole countries that no one wants to live in or deal with and have worse quality of life on almost every metric with items being out of stock everywhere

3. The US actually build schools in Iraq, and Afghanistan; how many schools did the USSR build in Afghanistan or Russia in Syria

4. Examples, please of the times people attacked Russia in the past for attacking their neighbors.

Reactions: Hades

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Hey, I kept pointing out Modi as bad especially when people were worried about China, thank you

Anyway, what is this nonsense? Is this meant to be a guilt trip to something? Just because people didn't bring up Russia as frequently as you wanted it means what exactly?
Allot of people here have selective enforcement of their views on what is imperialism.

Russia invading Syria, Eastern Europe, the Middle East Crimea; don't care

The US invading the "Axis of evil" countries for violating UN treaties, and threatening to nuke Israel with nukes they want to build; care