United States of America
Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States

It is of course very democratic of Ukraine to use area denial weapons against what they claim as their own population in their own cities.
I realize the answer is obviously no, but did you even read the article you've linked?

The Ukrainian government, the Ukrainian rebels (supplied by Russia), and the Russian government have all used cluster munitions during the fighting. And yet, you seem to have entirely ignored those last two factions. Convenient....

Also, since when has the categorization of government type been determined by the weapons they use in wartime?

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This is your standard for a 'democracy'?
My standard for democracy is that free elections are held, and the results respected by the ruling party.

If that was all they had, it would be a majorly flawed democracy. And Ukraine is certainly a flawed democracy. But yes, it is a democracy. There's not really any serious disputing that.

???

So glad you've decided to fabricate in entirety a position for me to hold about whether democracy exists in Russia.
No, you would probably agree that democracy doesn't exist in Russia.

But when you condemn Ukraine for undemocratic moves, like the banning of some minor oppositional parties, its worth reminding anyone else reading along that you don't actually give a shit about a country's democratic credentials, And will vocally support far more tyrannical, authoritarian governments just so long as they're anti-US.

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016

It is of course very democratic of Ukraine to use area denial weapons against what they claim as their own population in their own cities.
Wow.

How many articles about the widespread and current use of cluster ammunition by Russia in the current war did you have to dig trhough until you found something claiming Ukraine might have done it on a smaller sclale in 2014 ? There are even a couple directly next to it by the same guys. I mean, they likely did use them then and that was shitty, but the contrast is grating.

And yes, that has little to do with Ukraines democratic credentials.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's true. It's not amplified in the BBC or whatever, but that would be a very unreliable standard indeed.
It's not true, though.

You've got a phone call where local US State Dept. bigwigs talk about their preferred candidate for a post-revolution Ukraine and handing out cookies to protestors (this after months and month of vociferous protests). As "help" or "backing" goes, this is a nothingburger. It is interference, and does raise interesting questions about hypocrisy over the USA's complaints about Russian interference in the US elections, but then you didn't appear to think it was a problem if Russia interfered in US elections (in an earlier example of your peculiarly Kremlin-friendly attitude).

Then there's the US aid/development funds. So far, so yawn: this is completely standard stuff pretty much every country gets up to in some form to make themselves look more appealing.

There's all the tedious shit about neo-Nazis. Yes, the Ukraine has a far right, and yes they were part of the revolution. Yes, Bandera, problematic nationalist hero. Yes, the Ukraine government converted a neo-Nazi volunteer group into a National Guard unit so it ended up receiving some of the USA's military aid post-Revolution. This isn't good, but it's in no way the Nazi panic that you and the Kremlin would have us believe. Especially when the guy heading up the Kremlin is about as neo-Nazi as it gets - but you think that neo-Nazi should be absolved of blame and rewarded with a substantial chunk of another country's real real estate to oppress.

And finally simply the general line that treats Ukrainians like they either don't have agency or shouldn't be allowed to exercise it. Newsflash: they do have agency. We didn't force them to do this, they wanted to. And a lot of the reason the West has become ever more popular in Ukraine is that Russia was formerly a dead end and latterly a bully to Ukraine.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Read 👏 another 👏 book! 👏
That's going to bring a smile to Fox News and compatriots, isn't it?

I can see Tucker Carlson with his dumb face asking again if Russia is really the bad guy, they are fighting cancel culture, same as the American right!

Good news everyone...
I remember seeing tons of "Give our islands back" protest flags in a certain town when I traveled Hokkaido near a decade ago, I wonder if those people will finally get their wishes.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

Read 👏 another 👏 book! 👏
Comparing the works of the likes of Tchaikovsky, Dostoevsky or Eisenstein to Harry Potter is a way greater insult to Russian culture than even most anti russian rhetoric would ever be able to come up with.

Aside from the it doesn't even make much sense, considering, for better and for worse, Rowling's continued attempts to ruin any good will people had towards her as a person has never really affected the popularity of the Harry Potter novels. There's a new movie and a game coming out right this year.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Comparing the works of the likes of Tchaikovsky, Dostoevsky or Eisenstein to Harry Potter is a way greater insult to Russian culture than even most anti russian rhetoric would ever be able to come up with.

Aside from the it doesn't even make much sense, considering, for better and for worse, Rowling's continued attempts to ruin any good will people had towards her as a person has never really affected the popularity of the Harry Potter novels. There's a new movie and a game coming out right this year.
The Fantastic Beasts films have a much more lukewarm reception than the Harry Potter ones, and in the trailers they are now putting her name in tiny letters. But yeah, not a great impact, but there is still one.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...es-bellingcat-founder-eliot-higgins-f8l5cmg5b (Paywall)

Yevgeny Prigozhin is the owner of the neo-fascist private military company Wagner Group, which operates on behalf of the Russian government in its conflicts overseas. He's also a close friend of Putin and beneficiary of numerous catering contracts with the Kremlin. And most relevantly to this, he's also extremely litigious: in the past he's sued Ekho Moskvy, Meduza, The Insider, and Alexei Navalny.

Now he's suing Eliot Higgins, the editor of Bellingcat (the outlet which first successfully identified the perpetrators of the Salisbury poisonings). In particular, he's apparently said to be angry about Bellingcat's coverage of the MH-17 attack (this was the Malaysia Airlines flight which was downed by a Russian missile in 2014, killing several hundred people).

Just thought the timing of the latest suit was particularly notable, since it seems like a clear attempt to silence an international outlet with a strong track record of uncovering Russian state malfeasance in the past. And it adds some nice context to Putin's statement about "cancel culture". I wonder how a neo-Nazi friend of Putin working to silence an independent journalist fits into that?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
You've got a phone call where local US State Dept. bigwigs talk about their preferred candidate for a post-revolution Ukraine
And talk about setting up a meeting to get it to happen.

and handing out cookies to protestors (this after months and month of vociferous protests).
And funding various meddling through NED. You have neo-Nazis on video saying they're doing the work of NATO, that the protests would have accomplished nothing without them and their violence, but apparently that's just the result of handing out cookies.

As "help" or "backing" goes, this is a nothingburger.
As is anything if you look at only a small part of it and ignore the rest.

It is interference, and does raise interesting questions about hypocrisy over the USA's complaints about Russian interference in the US elections, but then you didn't appear to think it was a problem if Russia interfered in US elections (in an earlier example of your peculiarly Kremlin-friendly attitude).
I don't mind Russian interference in US elections because it is absolutely dwarfed to a ludicrous degree by corporate interference which is far more corrosive but is generally regarded as normal and, to the leaders of my country and their dullard liberal sycophants, acceptable as well as the noted hypocrisy about which the entire history of the last century "raises interesting questions". And when I write "absolutely dwarfed to a ludicrous degree", I mean that American elections are not a legitimate expression of public opinion to begin with; there is nearly nothing of worth here and now (nor in 2016) for any foreign entity to be interfering with!

American meddling in Ukraine follows a pattern of behavior repeated many times by the United States across the globe, a context which anyone dealing with the United States will no doubt be aware of on some level and that, by itself, has a compelling effect apart from the concrete actions taken by the United States in particular situations. It is also a context which tends to be hushed in the media of our two countries given their peculiarly Washington-friendly attitude. It can be difficult to find reliable information about what all the United States has funded in Ukraine; how many television stations? Which ones? To what particular ends? What were their contacts with Right Sector and Azov? For whatever reason, NED now apparently finds much of even what information it was previously publishing itself about its projects in Ukraine embarrassing.

The NED was made to do in the open what the CIA used to do in secret. That of course doesn't mean that the CIA stopped doing those things.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And funding various meddling through NED. You have neo-Nazis on video saying they're doing the work of NATO, that the protests would have accomplished nothing without them and their violence, but apparently that's just the result of handing out cookies.
Right. And some random guy saying to a camera that he's doing the work of NATO is proof NATO have paid him to be an agitator to bring down a pro-Russian president, is it? You see where I'm going with exaggeration?

American meddling in Ukraine follows a pattern of behavior...

The NED was made to do in the open what the CIA used to do in secret. That of course doesn't mean that the CIA stopped doing those things.
This is roundabout way of saying "Yes Agema, you're right, I don't have any evidence the USA did anything paticularly untoward here".

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The US never had much influence in the Ukraine. "The West" as such did, but thet was mostly based on the EU. Geographical neighbours, significant amount of trade significant number of people moving between EU and Ukraine, countless cooperations, Cross-border supply chains, significant investment, historical bonds.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Right. And some random guy saying to a camera that he's doing the work of NATO is proof NATO have paid him to be an agitator to bring down a pro-Russian president, is it? You see where I'm going with exaggeration?

Just some random guy, sure

completely. random. no connection to NATO whatsoever.

This is roundabout way of saying "Yes Agema, you're right, I don't have any evidence the USA did anything paticularly untoward here".
No, it's a way of saying that neither of us know the half of it. We have enough information to conclude that the USA did what I've said it has. If history is any indication, it has done a lot more than that and worse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
When sources dedicate entire articles explaining people why the West was wrong and in many ways Putin is right they sure are trying to maximize the flaws of one group of countries and minimize the flaws of the other one. And that's extremely problematic, we shouldn't forget that Putin is the one bombing women and children and that in this conflict the West hasn't done anything that remotely comes close to that.

But Cuba would have actively hosted nuclear weapons. The whole "Nato" theory is based on the idea Ukraine has to pay for NATO accepting other countries in it. Because again, Ukraine brought up NATO membership after the 2014 Russian invasion. And also note that as Belarus has said they are willing to host Russian nukes we would now have carte blanche to flatten that country by that logic.

A lot has changed since the Cuban missile crisis.

And let's be quite clear. Putin's "security concerns" have been a load of bullshit since the beginning. His KGB file stated he underestimated risk and the fact he dared invading Ukraine thinking the West wouldn't do much about it is proof he knows damn well NATO would never invade Russia. NATO doesn't even dare give a sovereign nation fighter jets or close off its sky (which it legally could) to avoid direct confrontation with Russia. That's how much of a security threat NATO is to Russia...
The real "threat" NATO poses is the immunity to Russian military bullying it gives to its members, and that's Putin's real problem with NATO. And no, I do not believe allowing countries to join a defensive alliance which gives them the freedom not to be Russian puppet states should be considered a "provocation" or something we should regret doing for any reason whatsoever.

Actually, since Saddam was a horrible dictator who had no issues using chemical weapons on both his foes and his own civilians I would say you have more justification getting rid of that guy than Zelensky. The war in Iraq shouldn't have happened, but the one in Ukraine should even less. This idea that there was more provocation is something you keep on repeating but without actually providing any meaningful provocations.
When an article's point is that the war isn't unprovoked, it means the article is going to go into why because that's the point of the article. When there's an article about say John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, I don't expect the other band members to be equally focused in it because that's not the point of the article.

And Iraq is worse off now than under Saddam. And if we are just supposed to go around getting rid of leaders of countries because they ain't good, we got a lot of countries to get around to. I provided 3 articles of what the provocations are.

Phoenix, you aren't well, your technique of consuming the news is failing you, get your head out of your arse, admit that you're being a git and get back to reality.
What are you talking about? Do you think I'm pro Putin or something? So what news sources do you use?

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
When an article's point is that the war isn't unprovoked, it means the article is going to go into why because that's the point of the article. When there's an article about say John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, I don't expect the other band members to be equally focused in it because that's not the point of the article.
And you never stopped to think why articles from anti capitalist/american sources may want to lie about alleged American provocation being the cause of this war (or a major cause)?

And Iraq is worse off now than under Saddam. And if we are just supposed to go around getting rid of leaders of countries because they ain't good, we got a lot of countries to get around to. I provided 3 articles of what the provocations are.
Because Ukraine is so much better off right now......

You provided articles which have been addressed as being full of nonsense shifting the blame away from the real culprit. And since than you have been incapable to address anyone's rebuttals of your sources's claims.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Just some random guy, sure
This is par for the course, and essentially meaningless, from far-right parties and gangs. Its extremely common for them to exaggerate their involvement, "successes" and capabilities in speeches to supporters. They do this all the time. It's a decades-old rhetorical tool to get people whipped up and on side.

We need something a little more substantial than a sales-pitch from a racist thug if we're going to be drawing such sweeping conclusions. Where's the actual, substantive evidence? Because... yeah, all of that is utterly insubstantial with regarding to establishing an actual significant link to NATO.

completely. random. no connection to NATO whatsoever.

What else we got then: the racist gang got a security contract, and a co-founder was given a chairmanship by the big-money Ukrainian party... which was defeated and replaced by Zelensky. OK?

And while you're decrying American interference in Ukrainian politics, you're also fine and happy for Russia to literally overthrow its government with force-of-arms.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Image how much better your life would be without Twitter.
You believe yourself to be happier reveling in ignorance?

This is par for the course, and essentially meaningless, from far-right parties and gangs. Its extremely common for them to exaggerate their involvement, "successes" and capabilities in speeches to supporters. They do this all the time. It's a decades-old rhetorical tool to get people whipped up and on side.

We need something a little more substantial than a sales-pitch from a racist thug if we're going to be drawing such sweeping conclusions. Where's the actual, substantive evidence? Because... yeah, all of that is utterly insubstantial with regarding to establishing an actual significant link to NATO.
You don't find it the least bit interesting that Ukrainian Nazis would be playing up a connection to NATO specifically to begin with? That's a bit weird, but OK. Here are some financial things.

Main takeaway: there were targeted donations to Ukrainian media from various western organizations specifically to promote the Euromaidan and its "anti-corruption" targeting of Yanukovych but not similarly corrupt pro-western politicians. I noticed that several of that article's links are broken... now. Others are not. Various websites seem to be deleting old articles about western involvement in Ukraine. We saw a similar playbook in Brazil deployed against Lula and Rousseff.

Of course, we could utilize a more general type of reasoning and judgment and look to the results of the Euromaidan as measured against its demands. And what would we find?

A opinion poll conducted by the Kiev International Institute of Sociology in August 2013 registered a split about the geopolitical choice of Ukrainian citizens. Around 40% supported the European choice and about the same number were in favor of a pro-Russian choice. Six months later, after results of the Maidan, the power came under the full control of a part of the Ukrainian political elite focused on breaking ties with Russia. And to hold onto this power, a full set of anti-democratic practices that have nothing to do with European values was used. Meanwhile, the goals declared at the Maidan—the fight against corruption and the stranglehold of oligarchs—were not only unachieved, but corruption under the authority of the president-oligarch Petro Poroshenko only worsened.

However, one goal of the Maidan was still achieved—Ukraine signed the Association and Free Trade Area Agreement with the EU. As a result of this Agreement only a small part of the lost eastern markets was compensated by an increase in turnover with the EU, and later with China. The process of deindustrialization gained momentum, and the country’s GDP has halved in the first two years after the Maidan (the country’s GDP declined from $ 183,310 billion in 2013 to $ 90,615 billion in 2015, according to the World Bank) By the end of 2020, Ukraine’s GDP totals about $148 billion, which is only 81% of the level of 2013); health care costs have also almost halved (health care costs in the state budget (which is 95% of all health care costs in Ukraine) in 2020 compared to 2013, in dollar terms, decreased from $ 7.6 billion. up to 4.0 billion.
We would find that, quite conspicuously, the only Euromaidan demand to be achieved other than Yanukovych's removal from power was the signing of a trade agreement with Europe. The domination of Ukraine's politics by oligarchs is untouched. Corruption remains rife. Police and judicial reform are absent. Investigation into the killings of protestors never reached a result. The Euromaidan was so successful in delivering democracy that the people chose another candidate largely for not being involved with it-- and then Zelensky's outsider status delivered nothing substantial in terms of political change (which should be no surprise as he was also a servant of Ukrainian oligarchy, specifically the oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky, before and after his election). Zelensky turned out to deliver just a slightly more subtle form of oligarchy. In that respect we might compare the United States: we may choose freely among a limited selection of bad choices that all will operate in much the same way irrespective of the wishes of the public. Both are managed democracies which is also to say that they are not democracies at all-- obviously.

But to focus more on the point: the one policy change that the west wanted out of the Euromaidan was what the Euromaidan achieved. And basically nothing else. And you want me to believe that the west had nothing to do with this. Despite the various western groups funding various Ukrainian initiatives aimed at privatizing Ukraine's economy and integrating it westward since the Orange revolution ten years earlier, including the media vehicles which kept the Euromaidan protests prominent in the public consciousness and viewed favorably by almost half of the population of Ukraine. It's just a great coincidence that the result included only the stuff the western ruling class cares about.

you're also fine and happy for Russia to literally overthrow its government with force-of-arms.
Ukrainians appear to be divided on whether the Russian invasion is a good or bad thing, so why would I take a position on it? What would be the point other than signalling to my government that it would be acceptable to inch closer to thermonuclear Armagadden or inflict suffering through sanctions? I want neither of these things. Meanwhile you're utterly fine with the Ukrainian regime making war against the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics for eight years-- because a new Ukrainian government without the legitimacy of a constitutional transfer of power but with the legitimacy conferred on it by the endorsement of European and American diplomats and politicians-- claimed those territories.

Naturally, because you are consistent, you condemned all support for Kurdish anarchists in Syria by the United States and support Bashar al-Assad in maintaining the territorial integrity of Syria under his leadership. Oh, wait, no-- unlike the people who took power as the result of a right-wing coup involving neo-Nazis, Assad is evil. And quite unlike the United States, Putin is evil and manipulative; anything that has received Russian support cannot possibly be at the same time an expression of the feelings of the local population. The United States, because it is so righteous, is free to support whomever it wishes with weapons without any automatic adverse judgment against the recipients.