Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably, depending on how much someone can get emotionally involved with, what are ultimately fictitious characters. Like, if someone can't connect of empathize then I would imagine that the game might either fall flat or not have the same impact.
I connected just fine personally with the characters watching a everyone lives playthrough, but the gameplay does not work for me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I connected just fine personally with the characters watching a everyone lives playthrough, but the gameplay does not work for me.
Not a fan of the rpg type play/combat?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's kinda sad how easily the gameplay in Arkham Knight could have been improved over the previous games. But along with many other aspects of the game, it seems they largely phoned in the stealth gameplay.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Probably, depending on how much someone can get emotionally involved with, what are ultimately fictitious characters. Like, if someone can't connect of empathize then I would imagine that the game might either fall flat or not have the same impact.
That or the game's quirky self awareness rubbing people the wrong way. It kinda did me. Also, the game sorta deflates once Alphys shows up. God, I hate that character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That or the game's quirky self awareness rubbing people the wrong way. It kinda did me. Also, the game sorta deflates once Alphys shows up. God, I hate that character.
While this never happened with my feelings on the game, I can see what you mean. Just because something is self-aware doesn't automatically make it good nor intelligent. It's the problem I have with certain MCU movies, or properties that try to copy the MCU wholesale. Or Deadpool for that matter too. Just cuz your character(s) are quipping every two or five minutes, does not count as good self-awareness. It's why pretty much no one can stand the Borderlands games humor. Even Dante and his crew would tell everybody to knock it off with the quips. Because the DMC crew knew when to get serious.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Then do genocide and get her to kill herself.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Strangely enough, it seems that a common sentiment among players is to initially like her but then hate her once they see the stuff in the basement of her lab, yet for me it was the opposite, I didn't like her at all until I saw all the amalgamate stuff which made her much much more interesting.

Still not really partial to the character, but I find it interesting how different my reaction to her was from most.

Reactions: Worgen

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Strangely enough, it seems that a common sentiment among players is to initially like her but then hate her once they see the stuff in the basement of her lab, yet for me it was the opposite, I didn't like her at all until I saw all the amalgamate stuff which made her much much more interesting.

Still not really partial to the character, but I find it interesting how different my reaction to her was from most.
The moment I met her I hated her. I just really don't like... I guess I'll call it 'nerd endearment'. Making the character nerdy so as to appeal to the player who is also nerdy cuz they play videogames. That's all I really got from her, 'look, I like anime - aren't I just so likeable and neat.' No, no you're not.

Undertale has some very good writing and fun characters, but at times it can come around the corner with some absolute cringe. Like that cactus joke ("the most tsundere of plants"). Ugh!
Then do genocide and get her to kill herself.
That's another issue I have with the game. Both the pacifist and genocide endings aren't endings you can naturally get to without looking it up online. There's this smarmy 'gotcha' element to it that without a guide you have very little clue about. It's like those pranks pulled on random passer byers who have no idea they're part of a prank, but then they get laughed at anyway. Stuff like that kinda annoys me.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The moment I met her I hated her. I just really don't like... I guess I'll call it 'nerd endearment'. Making the character nerdy so as to appeal to the player who is also nerdy cuz they play videogames. That's all I really got from her, 'look, I like anime - aren't I just so likeable and neat.' No, no you're not.
Mm, my issue with her was much the same. The character lacks a second dimension to her to take her beyond being just a shut in nerd trope.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's another issue I have with the game. Both the pacifist and genocide endings aren't endings you can naturally get to without looking it up online. There's this smarmy 'gotcha' element to it that without a guide you have very little clue about. It's like those pranks pulled on random passer byers who have no idea they're part of a prank, but then they get laughed at anyway. Stuff like that kinda annoys me.
No, I got the true pacifist on my first try with no prior knowledge. I simply decided I didn't want to do a bad thing and reloaded.

Not sure what you mean by that, I mean Sans does have a deliberately corny sense of humor, but I don't get the feeling that is what you are talking about.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
No, I got the true pacifist on my first try with no prior knowledge. I simply decided I didn't want to do a bad thing and reloaded.

Not sure what you mean by that, I mean Sans does have a deliberately corny sense of humor, but I don't get the feeling that is what you are talking about.
Mm. I only looked up two things, one was me feeling in my gut that I could get past Toriel without killing her after I beat Papyrus (I thought it was a "but thou must" moment) so I looked up if it was possible before restarting (Which also gave me a fantastic moment with Flowey after I succeeded). The second was where the hell to go after finishing the game the first time to get the best ending because I was just lost on that one.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Mm. I only looked up two things, one was me feeling in my gut that I could get past Toriel without killing her after I beat Papyrus (I thought it was a "but thou must" moment) so I looked up if it was possible before restarting (Which also gave me a fantastic moment with Flowey after I succeeded). The second was where the hell to go after finishing the game the first time to get the best ending because I was just lost on that one.
On my second time with Toriel, I noticed that sparing over and over made more ... show up so I kept doing it since I was sure there was a way past without killing her also. On my first run I got 2 hints of things to do, I don't remember what one was (might have been making friends with Undyne but that seems unlikely) but the other was the lab and I think you just can't do that before facing the king.

But that is one of the fantastic things about the game that you just can't do in any other media, you aren't the player character, you are someone sitting in front of a monitor or tv and the game is willing to acknowledge that in some really clever ways. Such as reloading after you kill Toriel.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
On my second time with Toriel, I noticed that sparing over and over made more ... show up so I kept doing it since I was sure there was a way past without killing her also. On my first run I got 2 hints of things to do, I don't remember what one was (might have been making friends with Undyne but that seems unlikely) but the other was the lab and I think you just can't do that before facing the king.

But that is one of the fantastic things about the game that you just can't do in any other media, you aren't the player character, you are someone sitting in front of a monitor or tv and the game is willing to acknowledge that in some really clever ways. Such as reloading after you kill Toriel.
Another game that pulled that off to great effect was Baten Kaitos with you yourself being a someone the characters in the game talk to and how it makes the plot twist work so well.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Another game that pulled that off to great effect was Baten Kaitos with you yourself being a someone the characters in the game talk to and how it makes the plot twist work so well.
Oh man, I really don't remember anything from the plot of Baten Kaitos. I still have my copy somewhere... Annoyingly, I'll probably never play it again since its already hard to find time to replay the games and doom mods that are on my list.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oh man, I really don't remember anything from the plot of Baten Kaitos. I still have my copy somewhere... Annoyingly, I'll probably never play it again since its already hard to find time to replay the games and doom mods that are on my list.
That game was so ambitious. It has so many mechanics in it that really are unique and inventive for the time but it was only on the Game Cube, had bad voice acting (on top of compression distorting the voice files) and was probably too ambitious to get a good rapport going. Such a shame.