General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We'll have to find out later. No word yet. There's another stream on the 24th, then one in July and 2 more in August.

Not sure whether they'll do the regional versions this time. MD games, even the biggest ones, are only like 4mb a pop. Mega CD isos are quite a bit bigger at a 550mb max (tho most are around 350-400mb). Might be too expensive in terms of required storage to include all 3 regional versions.
They don't have to do it for every single game, but they should at least do it for games like Sonic CD. Awesome Americans got a different soundtrack from the Japanese and European folks. I know there's that Sonic collection coming out, but it would still be a neat feature.

If final fight CD is on there, it definitely needs those regional differences. The Japanese version is uncut with everything. The Western versions, has some slight censorship and horribly awful English dubbing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I dunno. The promotional material back in the day for resi 4 was all serious dark, and didn't show any hint of the dumb stuff. Same as most of their promotional material, come to think of it. Which is why am still not convinced any of their games' 'camp' moments are actually self-aware/intentional.
No way to know for sure, but the set-up of 'save the President's daughter' alone smacks so much of 80's action cheese that it'd be impossible for anyone over at Capcom to not have been aware of it during the production. Unless they looked at movies like Commando and saw a genuine thriller. I do know that the original Japanese dub version doesn't have nearly as much cheesey dialoge, but even outside the text you have Leon suplexing monks. It was just all around wackier, probably due to it being way more of an action game, which I mean, name me a japanese action game that isn't.
I like how they did Leon and Claire in RE2Remake. It worked and fit for that game. I bet Capcom can pull off a more serious direction for RE4Remake. I look forward to it. I don't dislike big cheese Leon, but it sucks they never got Paul Haddad back afterward. Rest in Peace you wonderful man. You are always the best Leon to me. His new voice actor, Nick Apostolides, from 2Remake did great and sounds like he is giving his all in this performance. Honestly, Capcom has gotten better with their stories. Or at the very least, play to their strengths.
Eh, they're fine. They were kinda in between natural sounding and charismatic, never quite reaching either one. Same with Ada. Side characters like Marvin, Kendo, and Ben Bertolucci gave a much more organic performance in my opinion.

I had high hopes the moment the first trailer dropped in E3 2018. Matched my expectations.
Honestly, I didn't think we were gonna see for a long while after they'd announced it. And after the trailer I still feared they were basically going to make RE4 in the RPD.

I agree to an extent, but I feel certain people on the Internet go on the hatred too hard.
That's mainly the die hard Resi fans, but then I even saw some go after RE2 Remake, so... 🤷‍♂️

I mean, I'll always have some love for RE3 Remake for how wonderfully likeable Jill Valentine and Nicolai were, but that's about were my appreciation stops.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, they're fine. They were kinda in between natural sounding and charismatic, never quite reaching either one. Same with Ada.
Both are more than fine for me. Especially Claire; when she goes full Ripley mode in the last quarter of the game. Alyssa Court is still the best Claire of course. Ada was just fine, but I get what Capcom was going for. I found her better than the voice actress who played Ada in 6. The original voice actor for the Ada in 2 & 4 is still the best. The side characters are awesome and you have the best performances in the game.

Honestly, I didn't think we were gonna see for a long while after they'd announced it. And after the trailer I still feared they were basically going to make RE4 in the RPD.
I didn't. I already knew they're going to go hard on the whole this is a rookie cop and a civilian perspectively. The trailer pretty much emphasized that. I tempered my fears and expectations.

That's mainly the die hard Resi fans, but then I even saw some go after RE2 Remake, so.
Yeah I know, and they can still screw off either way. We also had some bandwagon jumpers at never played a Resident Evil game, or claimed to have played the classic games. Some of those are just bandwagon jumpers.

I mean, I'll always have some love for RE3 Remake for how wonderfully likeable Jill Valentine and Nicolai were, but that's about were my appreciation stops.
Don't forget about Carlos. He's better in the remake, than he is in the original. The remake of 3 has a better handling of the characters.

My only main problems with the Remake is the complete removal of defense items, Nemesis not chasing you as much (outside of scripted encounters), and the hunters having a one hit kill move that you're not going to see coming in your first play through. I know some people hated the removal of the clock tower section, but that part didn't bother me. Another sore point is that Jill never goes to the RPD. They cut that out do the timing and rushing it out. Otherwise, I find it a decent game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I didn't. I already knew they're going to go hard on the whole this is a rookie cop and a civilian perspectively. The trailer pretty much emphasized that. I tempered my fears and expectations.
Yeah, but Capcom didn't have much goodwill with me anymore after the 7th generation. And considering the 3rd person perspective it would've been easy for them to fall into an RE4/5/6 design philosophy. The fact that they were able to merge modern game sensibilities with the more hardcore item/enemy management of the classic games is frankly a miracle.

Don't forget about Carlos. He's better in the remake, than he is in the original. The remake of 3 has a better handling of the characters.

My only main problems with the Remake is the complete removal of defense items, Nemesis not chasing you as much (outside of scripted encounters), and the hunters having a one hit kill move that you're not going to see coming in your first play through. I know some people hated the removal of the clock tower section, but that part didn't bother me. Another sore point is that Jill never goes to the RPD. They cut that out do the timing and rushing it out. Otherwise, I find it a decent game.
I feel there's a clash in this game between being an action game and being a management game, but doing neither very well. The camera is too close and the levels too confined to properly support the action mechanics, and the item management is... well, it might as well not even be there.

The intro is so, SO bad. I know cinematic sequences are typically looked down on, and a developer like Naughty Dog is sorta looked down on for having them, but RE3 Remake's opening shows how good Naughty Dog is at making them and how atrocious Capcom is when they try it. This is Nemesis' introduction and there's zero sense of threat since there's practically zero gameplay. Contrast that with the original game where he shows up in a cutscene to immediately kill Brad, and then he's just there in the gameworld coming after you. There's ofcourse the choice to opt out of fighting him and hide in the police station, but it happens in a snap, you're not forced to awkwardly walk through a bunch of hallways while he's "chasing" you.

Nemesis overall was such a letdown mechanically, he just didn't work. Mr. X worked so fucking well, but Nemesis was just trash. There's also only one good Boss fight in the entire game, and it's the first one against Nemesis on the rooftop. All the beast form fights... blegh.

And yeah, Carlos was pretty cool. I think I liked almost every character in this game to some degree, but Jill and Nicolai... *cheff's kiss*

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, but Capcom didn't have much goodwill with me anymore after the 7th generation. And considering the 3rd person perspective it would've been easy for them to fall into an RE4/5/6 design philosophy. The fact that they were able to merge modern game sensibilities with the more hardcore item/enemy management of the classic games is frankly a miracle.
I know and I have not forgotten. I was there. I was definitely there. There's still some design decisions as I disagree with. The DLC for the classic soundtrack was unnecessary. It should have been an unlockable after you beat the game. Certain other costumes and cheats for either locked behind a deluxe edition (which I did pre-order for) or by paid DLC.

I honestly don't care much for 4/5/6. There's a reason why I prefer both Evil Within games over those three and the two first person games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Sonic Frontiers, an open-world Sonic game, has revealed its gameplay. The world looks a tad bit barren, the platforms and railings feel out of place, and sonic's normal top running speed feels really slow.

But traversal does look fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Time and time again Sonic games are mediocre at best, yet somehow the series has a rabid fanbase and I just don't understand.
Depends on what you're talking about. Sonic Generations is excellent. Sonic Colors is actually fine, but I didn't like the emphasis and over use of the Whisp power ups. Lost World was actually good all things considered, but it sucks that they want ported to other consoles. You can still get it on steam, but my laptop can't run that. Sonic Forces is just average, but it could have been so much better Sega has a habit of trying to change things for no reason when they already have a good formula. That's their major flaw. They keep doing changes no one asked for. Since why I never play Sonic Unleashed. If I want to play a DMC style game, I'll play DMC or God of War.

As far as the fans and us, is because we still care. I want to see some succeed you're always going to have your haters and bandwagon jumpers, but screw them. They mean nothing to me. They're useless shit not even fit for maggots.

You also have to remember, that there's always going to be new Sonic fans that are kids or in their early teens. Most of them never play the older games and have only played the newer games, so they don't see the flaws that are as bad, or don't mind the changes. Because they never experienced what was there before most of the time. That's been going on since the SA days.

I actually like what's presented here. Definitely looks better than the werehog combat. They just need to polish up on Sonic's running animation, and maybe not have the enemies be too spongy. Otherwise, I am impressed. We'll see how the rest goes. My name worry is that if this game succeeds, Sega will double down and just making open world Sonic games and dilute them, like they did with the Unleashed Day Stages formula. Generations is peak 2.5D/3D Sonic. It's even better if you have the 360 version and play it on an Xbox One or Series X. You get a frame rate boost and you can play it in 4k.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also since I now have the space to use it, I'm actually pretty excited for PS5VR tbh. Especially for games like RE8 and the Horizon thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I love how Sony gets the big reveal and Xbox has to whisper on twitter, "Us too dont forget about us."
The reason why is because Xbox One an entire console generation without a Street Fighter. The only reason V was exclusive to the PS4, was Capcom did it out of desperation and was low on cash. Sony gave them the cash put something out.

I suppose why would they bother putting money into an announcement show when they can just say "also oon Xbox" afterwards and it's the same thing.
Laziness and hype machine.

Hmm, that looks pretty jank, and not very fun. Also, Sonic in an otherwise realistic looking setting imo just does not work visually.
I noticed some of the jankiness, but that can be ironed out. As for the moralistic setting, it doesn't bother me, but I prefer more cartoonish or stylish look. Like I said before, I want to wait and see more.