General Gaming News.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Nothing from Ninja Theory this time. What are y'all doing with Senua's Saga?
And this is the kind of stuff that weirded me out about this years show. Games like Senua's Saga, The Outer Wilds 2, Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Indiana Jones, and so on. Announced last year, completely absent this year.

Not to mention the absence of some of Microsoft's other franchises, notably Gears of War, and Halo.

Microsoft has spent the last few years acquiring studios, and I was really expecting this year to be when that really pays off. And Bethesda aside, we still haven't really seen much of anything.

Honestly, my biggest highlights of this show, were the (non-exclusive) High on Life, and the Persona 5 PC port.

Other than that, nothing to really get excited for, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hmm. Yay for Silksong. Nay for release date tho.

Other than that, I'm aggressively lukewarm about the showcase. High on Life might be fun if they go all in on being a comedy fps, tho fuck off if your weapons blab at you all the time. I'm a sucker for metroidvanias so that Benedict Fox thingy got my attention. Pentiment has a neat art style, so maybe. Persona would be neat, but I've already played P3P and regular P4/5. Everything else meh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not to mention the absence of some of Microsoft's other franchises, notably Gears of War, and Halo.
At least from Halo, that makes sense. Halo Infinite came in November, and then you have the crappy TV show. I think they're good on all things Halo for now anyway. Gears being a no show, does not surprise me. Whatever plans they have for Gears 6, won't show up until fall or the holiday of any announcement.

EDIT: Perfect Dark already has production trouble and people leaving, so it not being around did not surprise me either.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
EDIT: Perfect Dark already has production trouble and people leaving, so it not being around did not surprise me either.
There were articles about this same thign happening at the Fable studio too. Lack of direction, people leaving, Microsoft game's studios have problems all across the board it seems.

Also that Starfield trailer....I mean.....really, still using the same engine seriously? I have no hope for it, no hope that they've learned anything from the Fallout 76 debacle.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
At least from Halo, that makes sense. Halo Infinite came in November, and then you have the crappy TV show. I think they're good on all things Halo for now anyway.
Halo is Microsoft's flagship franchise. Halo Infinite just came out, yes, but it is a live-service game, that is supposed to be the only Halo game going forward, for the next 10 years.

There are upcoming multiplayer seasons, supposed singleplayer expansions, the upcoming Forge mode on the horizon, and a supposed Battle Royale mode being worked on by Certain Affinity.

Halo Infinite should, in theory, have loads to show off. And if a game like Sea of Thieves can get an entire trailer dedicated to the fact that you can rename your ship, I would have expected Halo Infinite to have at least had something to show off. But, I guess this is just another indication of the chaos that is going on behind the scenes at 343, and is just another nail in the coffin of this supposed "live"-service game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
We FINALLY got starfield gameplay..... And it's presented by Todd Howard.

Someone play Sweet Little Lies on the background, please?

Starfield looks great. I think it's made on creation engine, because the body movements and way a gun is drawn and reloaded look very similar to Fallout. I mean it looks fun, but I'm starting to think that engine is getting outdated.

In fact, I think it could've been passed as a major mod or expansion to Fallout 4, with shinier graphics.

Oh well, I'm sure mod creators will have blast doing Bethesda's job for them, as it always has been.

And Todd is talking about "it's your story". That's one of my red flags in the gaming industry, as it could mean there isn't much story in the game so you, the player, is forced to make your journey its own story.

Building and controlling your own spaceship and having space combat does look sick, though

If its the same video floating around in twitterr, it just looked like No Mans Sky minus any sense of style and blandly "Realistic".

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If its the same video floating around in twitterr, it just looked like No Mans Sky minus any sense of style and blandly "Realistic".
Pretty much this. They could have demonstrated this game on literally any of the 1000's of planets that they have, and they chose the dull grey one.

Not exactly inspiring.

On the topic of the scale, this is honestly a big turn-off for me. I don't like open world games at the best of times, but all I heard from the "Over 100 systems. Over 1000 planets." line was "procedural generation". Scale is great in theory, but why would I want to go to any particular location? All I see in this trailer is empty landmass, and im not interested.

The only thing that really tickled my fancy was the ship building.

Really interested to see what the reviews say.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pretty much this. They could have demonstrated this game on literally any of the 1000's of planets that they have, and they chose the dull grey one.

Not exactly inspiring.

On the topic of the scale, this is honestly a big turn-off for me. I don't like open world games at the best of times, but all I heard from the "Over 100 systems. Over 1000 planets." line was "procedural generation". Scale is great in theory, but why would I want to go to any particular location? All I see in this trailer is empty landmass, and im not interested.

The only thing that really tickled my fancy was the ship building.

Really interested to see what the reviews say.
Yeah, I wish space game instead focus on maybe 2-3 solar system and made every planet actually unique rather than 1000s when I know they'll just be ME1 boring wasteland.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Sad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Holy shit! Feels like years since I've seen game developers capable of drawing black people.
Okay....? Not sure about you and what you've been playing or looking at, but most didn't have the problem from what I was playing.

Grasshopper, Namco, Capcom, WayForward, Sega, DotEmu, Namco, various indie developers, etc.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Okay....? Not sure about you and what you've been playing or looking at, but most didn't have the problem from what I was playing.

Grasshopper, Namco, Capcom, WayForward, Sega, DotEmu, Namco, various indie developers, etc.
There's been a lot of indie games over the past few years that for some reason can't draw black people. It's more on me since I'll scroll through Steam to browse anything at all, so I'm probably just seeing lots of bad games.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Starfield looks like something I'll complain about, but will probably play hundred hours. And will lose sleep on the first night playing it cause I didn't want to stop. At the end of the day I'm still a sucker for getting a big box of toys, even if the toys end up not being very good.

And I'm definitely blah on the HUNDREDS OF WORLDS YOU CAN FULLY EXPLORE thing. They are probably mostly procedurally generated, with not much to do on most of them. I still remember Mass Effect 1, you could theoretically circumnavigate a lot of the planets you land on but there were only very few points of interests to actually visit.

Some of the skills they showed displayed something that increased a weapon type's damage by a percentage, so I worry about this game suffering from bloaty numbers.

I'm definitely questioning the space combat and customizable ships, I wonder how much depth it will even have. Kinda reminds me of the gummi ships in Kingdom Hearts.

And of course there's a full suite of crafting and base building, and I'm a total sucker for these sorta things. These mechanics are intrinsically addictive to me.

I'm hoping for the best, but will still remain cautiously optimistic.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
The Starfield Demo was embarrassing. Bethesda has arguably been making the same game since Oblivion just more dumbed down with each iteration. It looks exactly like fallout 4 but with shallow dog fights tacked on. Their work looks like the industry graphical standard six years ago.

I seriously worry for Elder Scrolls 6 if Bethesda cant be bothered to try anything interesting with a new IP.

Kojumbo just showing up to say hi was also really lame.