General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Ayeee.
1. I found it really bizarre that in the second run of trailers they just straight started spoiling the plot twist of the movie, I had to shut one trailer off halfway through and haven't watched one since.

2. idk man, I'm starting to feel like Pixar might be dying a slow death. I was actually a little kid when Pixar was an indie studio making shorts for the international animation festivals and man they blew peoples socks off. Seeing the early shorts in theaters was the highlight of my year. My dad used to take to that and stuff like Robot Carnival.

I have an uncle who works there, or did, I haven't talked to him in a long time. He was a lighting animation engineer for the original run Toy Story, Bugs Life, and a few others. He designed some characters, but I forget which. He was a director, but quit after the Disney merger due to politics. He wouldn't say what about but I suspect it had to do with Disney wanting a Pixar sub-studio to focus on yearly releases. He went back to work on Incredibles 2, but I dont know what he does now.

Its tough, the last Pixar movie I thought was really amazing was Inside Out, everything else has been solid to awful. I tried to like Turning Red. I really did, it just seems so cheap and lazy. I'm in no hurry to see Lightyear. I just cant get excited for Pixar anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
1. I found it really bizarre that in the second run of trailers they just straight started spoiling the plot twist of the movie, I had to shut one trailer off halfway through and haven't watched one since.

2. idk man, I'm starting to feel like Pixar might be dying a slow death. I was actually a little kid when Pixar was an indie studio making shorts for the international animation festivals and man they blew peoples socks off. Seeing the early shorts in theaters was the highlight of my year. My dad used to take to that and stuff like Robot Carnival.

I have an uncle who works there, or did, I haven't talked to him in a long time. He was a lighting animation engineer for the original run Toy Story, Bugs Life, and a few others. He designed some characters, but I forget which. He was a director, but quit after the Disney merger due to politics. He wouldn't say what about but I suspect it had to do with Disney wanting a Pixar sub-studio to focus on yearly releases. He went back to work on Incredibles 2, but I dont know what he does now.

Its tough, the last Pixar movie I thought was really amazing was Inside Out, everything else has been solid to awful. I tried to like Turning Red. I really did, it just seems so cheap and lazy. I'm in no hurry to see Lightyear. I just cant get excited for Pixar anymore.
Oh cut the doom and gloom talk! They ain't "dying". Maybe you just outgrew them, or lost interest. It happens at some point. I haven't seen either movies yet, but I'm not going to judge them just because of some whacked out "critics", YT "personalities", and anti-gay pricks with bugs up their asses and nothing better to do.

Reactions: Cicada 5

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The animated movie I might have interest in; the sequel and Afterlife can both go fuck themselves.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Seth Rogen's new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated film will be the first of multiple planned projects for the "heroes in a half-shell" revival. Among a slew of video games, animated shows, and a gritty comic miniseries featuring Michelangelo as the last living Ninja Turtle, the franchise remains as popular as ever for old and new fans. But the Turtles have not been present at the box office since 2016's Michael Bay-produced sequel, Out of the Shadows, an ill-received live-action/animation hybrid.

Paramount hopes to remedy the Turtles' absence from theaters with a resurgence that goes back to the origins of the comic book series that birthed the billion-dollar franchise. This reboot will be fully CG-animated, a style last featured in the 2007 movie TMNT. While that film got a less-than-welcome critical reception, audiences enjoyed it far more, and Paramount is putting its money on producer Seth Rogen to lead the next CG-fueled attempt and attract those same viewers.

The studio's new chief, Brian Robbins, appears confident in Rogen and his partner Evan Goldberg's approach to the Ninja Turtles. In an interview with Variety, he states that the producers will take the heroes back to their roots as teenagers, and Paramount has plans to create "multiple animated movies this way," indicating that the film will be the first in a new feature franchise. He also remarks that the movie will work for every demographic and that Paramount may someday go back to the hybrid version that Bay spearheaded.
https://screenrant.com/seth-rogen-tmnt-movie-franchise-future-details/

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I just bought TMNT: Shredders for PC today. My stupid arcade cabinets are in storage so I gotta build a temporary fight stick.

They won't listen to my advice, but for the TMNT movie they need to go live action and low budget with animatronics same as the original. I think by going CG they are taking a big risk. It's expensive, difficult to get right, and even if you do it might still fail at the box office due it it being in the wrong time and wrong place. Apparently Sausage Party was a huge success though so who knows.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The plot thickens! Fyi, this is a different teenager from the one Miller kidnapped. Also, to be a fly on the wall at WB.
Does WB even dare release this fucking movie anymore? I mean, has there ever been a bigger trash fire for a Hollywood studio?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just bought TMNT: Shredders for PC today. My stupid arcade cabinets are in storage so I gotta build a temporary fight stick.

They won't listen to my advice, but for the TMNT movie they need to go live action and low budget with animatronics same as the original. I think by going CG they are taking a big risk. It's expensive, difficult to get right, and even if you do it might still fail at the box office due it it being in the wrong time and wrong place. Apparently Sausage Party was a huge success though so who knows.
I actually love the 2014 and 2016 movie. The only reason they won't conclude that series of movies, it because the producer of Paramount has a bug up his ass, over blew it on the marketing, and overly high expectations. Out of the Shadows had an average box office, but sold amazingly on Blu Ray and DVD. They had more than enough funds for another, but could not commit. As much as I like these movies, the 2010s movies did have production troubles, and problems on the sets.

Enjoy Shredder's Revenge!

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As much as I adored it, John Carter still looms pretty big as movie dumpster fires go.
Yeah, but that was "just" a big box office flop. This Flash movie not only is part of an already struggling cinematic universe, has not only been in developement hell for years, but also has what appears to be a complete psychopath in the starring role. Can you imagine the awkwardness of pre-release interviews and marketing for this movie IF they even decide to release it? I'm more fascinated and excited by what WB's next move is going to be than I would be by any future blockbuster.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, but that was "just" a big box office flop. This Flash movie not only is part of an already struggling cinematic universe, has not only been in developement hell for years, but also has what appears to be a complete psychopath in the starring role. Can you imagine the awkwardness of pre-release interviews and marketing for this movie IF they even decide to release it?
And the risk that he does something worse and ends his career once they'd paid for half the film. Bin him and be done with it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And the risk that he does something worse and ends his career once they'd paid for half the film. Bin him and be done with it.
I'm sure they were ready to do that once the movie was released and Miller was still "just" someone who strangled a woman, broke into someone's hotel room, and threw a chair at another woman. Par the course so it seems with many Hollywood celebrities. Now though WB has a major blockbuster starring a kidnapper who possibly even groomed a kid. Try marketing that as fun family movie time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As much as I adored it, John Carter still looms pretty big as movie dumpster fires go.
That movie got way too much hatred from film going audiences and critics. To the point of calling JC a "Avatar clone". Fuck them! I wish the movie would have been animated though. 2D animation and released on home video. That could work now, if someone put in the effort.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
That movie got way too much hatred from film going audiences and critics. To the point of calling JC a "Avatar clone". Fuck them! I wish the movie would have been animated though. 2D animation and released on home video. That could work now, if someone put in the effort.
"Avatar clone"? You mean there were people who thought Avatar was an original concept?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Avatar clone"? You mean there were people who thought Avatar was an original concept?
Yes. You have some people who are so stupid and ignorant. Not realizing all of Cameron's influences are from John Carter of Mars, Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, and most importantly, Princess Mononoke. I am no JC expert, but even I knew where Cameron got his ideas from. The same way George Lucas got his ideas for Star Wars from Samurai movies, Buck Rogers, and the Flash Gordon TV series.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The same way George Lucas got his ideas for Star Wars from Samurai movies, Buck Rogers, and the Flash Gordon TV series.
And, notably, John Carter. The Jabba the Hutt bit at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back is very Edgar Rice Burroughs.

As an aside, the John Carter movie was very different from the John Carter books, but I'm not seeing how those differences drew from Avatar. Zodanga is a walking city, worlds are ahving their destruction management by religious people, aliens wear clothes and so on doesn't seem to have been taken from there. Bought the only change I can think of that makes it more like Avatar is having female characters being warriors and scientists, which doesn't seem unique to that movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As an aside, the John Carter movie was very different from the John Carter books, but I'm not seeing how those differences drew from Avatar. Zodanga is a walking city, worlds are ahving their destruction management by religious people, aliens wear clothes and so on doesn't seem to have been taken from there. Bought the only change I can think of that makes it more like Avatar is having female characters being warriors and scientists, which doesn't seem unique to that movie.
You would think, but there are always a bunch of know-it-alls that think they're geniuses for pointing out "clones and copy cats". Not realizing most ideas and concepts have been around for a lonnnnnnnnngggggggg timmmmmmmmmeeeeeee!!!