General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
There're in the works for a prequel to Heat. God damn it. Why can't they just leave good enough alone? Heat is an amazing film featuring some stellar actors; why sully it's legacy with another film no one asked for and is completely unmerited???

Full disclosure, I am biased. Heat is a film very close to my heart as it introduced me to Moby's "God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters" which would go on to be the catalyst for my passion for Electronic music, so it remains a very perfect and formative moment in my lifetime. They need to leave it alone. Pacino and De Niro are getting up in years; let's not waste their remaining time on cash-grabby films trying to capitalize on what they've already done well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There're in the works for a prequel to Heat. God damn it. Why can't they just leave good enough alone? Heat is an amazing film featuring some stellar actors; why sully it's legacy with another film no one asked for and is completely unmerited???

Full disclosure, I am biased. Heat is a film very close to my heart as it introduced me to Moby's "God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters" which would go on to be the catalyst for my passion for Electronic music, so it remains a very perfect and formative moment in my lifetime. They need to leave it alone. Pacino and De Niro are getting up in years; let's not waste their remaining time on cash-grabby films trying to capitalize on what they've already done well.

I don't blame you, and I'm sure there's a lot of people that feel the same way. Heat is Michael Mann's best movie next to Collateral. Goes to show how bankrupt the Hollywood System is. They'll try to make something out of anything, as long as it gets some type of profit. I'm not even flipping out about it, I'm just going to ignore the disaster. Hollywood never seems to learn that most prequels are pointless, and there's no sense of drama, if we already know it's going to happen to these characters in their future lives. Be it death, some unkind fate, or whatever the past eight shoes. There's rarely any investment in these. This is the same system that did a prequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake during the early 2000s. A majority of people didn't like it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Oh...yeah, no.

Mind you, Heat was a remake of LA Takedown, they could do a prequel to that and nobody would care.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh...yeah, no.

Mind you, Heat was a remake of LA Takedown, they could do a prequel to that and nobody would care.
Better yet, just make a heist movie that has nothing to do with any of that and be its own thing. Or do this....

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Better yet, just make a heist movie that has nothing to do with any of that and it's its own thing. Or do this....

You're not allowed to make a film that's not based on an existing franchise anymore. Unfortunately.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Ezra Miller story apparently continues ... and gets even more bizarre and iffy ... somehow
You know, this all really makes Ezra look like a brilliant actor because I cannot fathom how else he managed to hide this much fucking batshit crazy from literally everyone he would have come into contact with while working on these films. Like seriously if there was some kind of insanity Geiger counter this fuckwit would have lit up like ground zero at Chernobyl.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, this all really makes Ezra look like a brilliant actor because I cannot fathom how else he managed to hide this much fucking batshit crazy from literally everyone he would have come into contact with while working on these films. Like seriously if there was some kind of insanity Geiger counter this fuckwit would have lit up like ground zero at Chernobyl.
He's raking in the big bucks, people would look the other way.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He's raking in the big bucks
Is he though? Like I know everyone's got this idea of what Hollywood actors earn but Ezra Miller isn't fucking Tom Cruise or Will Smith (circa six months ago) or Robert Downey Jr. There is nothing to indicate he's earning big bucks beyond his involvement in something that itself cost big bucks.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is he though? Like I know everyone's got this idea of what Hollywood actors earn but Ezra Miller isn't fucking Tom Cruise or Will Smith (circa six months ago) or Robert Downey Jr. There is nothing to indicate he's earning big bucks beyond his involvement in something that itself cost big bucks.
True, but then I suspect that how big you have to be to have your behaviour overlooked is not all that big. I could be totally wrong, though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sony is making Kraven the Hunter an "animal lover"

Heh. So if they're going to make Kraven the kind of hunter who respects Mother Earth and hunts sustainably, does that mean he's going to be dressed up in exclusively overpopulated boar and deer skins? Maybe some vermin accessories?

Or since he'll probably a hunter of hunters like the article suggests, I guess we'll be seeing a human skin suit. Man, Sony is just amazing.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I think my question be "ok then what are the stakes?". Now I will say Gareth Evans is working on a "Raid prequel", but the difference is that this would take place in the same world, with some supporting characters returning. I'm fine with prequels, but the problem, LIKE FUCKING OBIWAN, is that if you know what happens at the end its difficult to be invested in the story. Prequels I believe are pretty common in Asian cinema, even in hardboiled crime films, but its usually a diferent story in the same world. Thats something that hollywood sucks at. They just assume audiences want prequels about about the same characters when in truth its usually the writing and story that was compelling, but how do you merchandise "good writing"? *sigh*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gareth Evans is working on a "Raid prequel", but the difference is that this would take place in the same world
What? When? He had this big speech about how he didn't want to do a third movie, cuz he didn't know how he's going to top the second movie. So now he wants to make a prequel? Why? Just make another sequel and be done with it. It doesn't even have to have the same characters. Place them in the same universe, but in a different situation, or a certain group of people tangently related to what happened in the last movie. It's not that hard.

Last edited: