General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

View attachment 6524

Not sure how I feel about this overall..... but I do know that Vash's new design is kinda... ehhh.
Interesting. It looks like that shitty 3D animation Netflix uses, but actually good. I shall remain cautiously optimistic. Trigun was one of the few well regarded animes I missed out on in the 90s but watched later in life. Its not something I fanboy over, but I definitely have a soft spot for it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Interesting. It looks like that shitty 3D animation Netflix uses, but actually good. I shall remain cautiously optimistic. Trigun was one of the few well regarded animes I missed out on in the 90s but watched later in life. Its not something I fanboy over, but I definitely have a soft spot for it.
I'll reserve final judgement too, but I did want to air my... concerns, first. I'm also a big fan of Trigun so I would prefer this be good rather than not.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
As a fan of Trigun (I consider it my personal gateway series into watching anime), I am more than excited for Trigun Stampede. Trailer looks really good to me, both in animation and what they showed of the general plot.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
James Cameron Doesn't Want To Hear Anyone 'Whining' That Avatar 2 Is Too Long

For a such a renowned director, you'd think he of all people would understand how big the difference is between watching a TV show on your couch and enjoying a blockbuster film in the cinema.
You both make excellent points. People WILL binge watch for hours in the comfort of their own home, but comparing that to the theater where you can't pause and getting up to pee means you'll most certainly miss something is a bit "apples to oranges." Maybe it's time to bring back theater intermissions.

1657109261232.png

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
He does, I just don’t think he cares because he’s a cranky old bastard.

Still looking forward to Way of Water though, I’ve never been disappointed in a Jim Cameron movie yet.
I do wonder where he can take this whole “universe” though in the face of already well-established stuff like the MCU. Like, the first Avengers was still three years away when Avatar released. I know this movie will probably break records again but a lot has changed in the last thirteen years, and he’s got his work cut out to convince audiences that this is still something special.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I do wonder where he can take this whole “universe” though in the face of already well-established stuff like the MCU. Like, the first Avengers was still three years away when Avatar released. I know this movie will probably break records again but a lot has changed in the last thirteen years, and he’s got his work cut out to convince audiences that this is still something special.
Is he trying to do an MCU-type "universe," though? As far as I know, this is simply a sequel to one of the most successful films of all time. If nothing else, it's "special" because it's from a director known for quality work set in a world that hasn't been diluted with too many movies, spin-offs and disappointments. Just saying, Camron doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to invest his time and effort into a project trying to capitalize on a singular past success or mimic the relative success of the MCU by dropping a new Avatar-related film every 6 months.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You both make excellent points. People WILL binge watch for hours in the comfort of their own home, but comparing that to the theater where you can't pause and getting up to pee means you'll most certainly miss something is a bit "apples to oranges." Maybe it's time to bring back theater intermissions.
I think in some places around the world, theater intermissions never went away. Like in India, where all their movies tend to be 3+ hours.

But back to Cameron, I found the pee remark kinda odd. You'd think a director would want to make sure their whole movie was worth watching every second. I know it's probably a joke on his end, but I genuinely hate having to go to the bathroom during the movie. If I am perfectly fine taking a whizz during a movie, that's a good indicator that the movie is crap.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Is he trying to do an MCU-type "universe," though? As far as I know, this is simply a sequel to one of the most successful films of all time. If nothing else, it's "special" because it's from a director known for quality work set in a world that hasn't been diluted with too many movies, spin-offs and disappointments. Just saying, Camron doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to invest his time and effort into a project trying to capitalize on a singular past success or mimic the relative success of the MCU by dropping a new Avatar-related film every 6 months.
There are three more sequels planned in next few years.

A timeline of events surrounding the films so far -

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
James Cameron Doesn't Want To Hear Anyone 'Whining' That Avatar 2 Is Too Long

For a such a renowned director, you'd think he of all people would understand how big the difference is between watching a TV show on your couch and enjoying a blockbuster film in the cinema.
Hey Cameron, can ya' kindly fuck off? You have not done anything useful since handing Alita over to Robert Rodriguez. Since your so powerful, can you get Disney to get off their asses, and either let you, or preferably him, make another Alita movie. That would be fucking great!
But back to Cameron, I found the pee remark kinda odd. You'd think a director would want to make sure their whole movie was worth watching every second. I know it's probably a joke on his end, but I genuinely hate having to go to the bathroom during the movie. If I am perfectly fine taking a whizz during a movie, that's a good indicator that the movie is crap.
Exactly why I am not buying in to hype and not spending a single cent. I don't want to even see the movie for free. Better time spent elsehwere.

There are three more sequels planned in next few years.
Assuming he lives that long to do them all.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think in some places around the world, theater intermissions never went away. Like in India, where all their movies tend to be 3+ hours.

Yeah, he more than likely being flippant in defense of the films length; he won't apologize for it, so puts the onus on the movie-goers.

There are three more sequels planned in next three years.

A timeline of events surrounding the films so far -
Still, as far as I'd venture a guess, he doesn't appear to be trying to create a "universe," conflating multiple leads in separate, titular films, each with their own sequels, and spin-off Avatar shows exclusive to streaming services. I imagine this is more of a Lord of the Rings deal, which is perfectly fine. When every, unique member of the tribe starts getting their own movies, then we can talk...

But as I've not a single moment of this first sequel, and have no idea what the exact plans are for subsequent films, I could be entirely wrong, but I DO know I'm anticipating them more than I have any Marvel films over the past decade.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Didn't they plan a sequel a year starting very soon after the first one came out?

And now that fancy 3d CGI isn't exciting anymore and people have mostly forgotten about it, now it's the time for lots of sequels? Wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I love James Cameron but he truly is, just the grumpiest old fucking man in Hollywood. He’s just yelling at clouds, as old farts are wont to do.
Maybe I mixed him up with Spielberg in my brain, because I didn't expect him to be this grumpy.