BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cancelled Doom 4 footage.

Not surprised, but Square can still fuck off.

I like this. Something really positive and helpful.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

I mean of course the people making the game are going to say that.

This is the 3rd release of the same game, except this time it's ported assets from the sequel and shipping with less features than the game originally launched with. And instead of charging 30-40 bucks for an uprez project so people who might have missed it can play it with some extra shinyness, they are charging full price and expecting people not to call it a "cash grab" hahahaha fuck you Naughty Dog.
Recently (in fact a few hours ago as of posting this), another dev from ND made this tweet

Yeah, no shit there was no crunch because the workload was super light, compared to building an actual remake from the ground up. There are no new assets created with a new engine, no new voice acting (which admittingly are top-tier and don't need any replacements), no new rework on gameplay, or additional stuff.

Screw these mofos.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Recently (in fact a few hours ago as of posting this), another dev from ND made this tweet

Yeah, no shit there was no crunch because the workload was super light, compared to building an actual remake from the ground up. There are no new assets created with a new engine, no new voice acting (which admittingly are top-tier and don't need any replacements), no new rework on gameplay, or additional stuff.

Screw these mofos.
Sounds like bullshit to me, considering we KNOW Naughty Dog crunches like a ************.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I am torn on this game. Being of a Korean-origin, I always love the country getting attention in various media, and I loved the show on Netflix.
I just realized I had no idea what games were made in Korea, so I checked it out. it turns out Korea puts out a lot of games, some I've heard of though none that I've played. It appears they haven't made nearly as much of a dent on the US gaming scene as Japan, though that may change in the next decade or so.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

That is nothing new, but appreciated.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I just realized I had no idea what games were made in Korea, so I checked it out. it turns out Korea puts out a lot of games, some I've heard of though none that I've played. It appears they haven't made nearly as much of a dent on the US gaming scene as Japan, though that may change in the next decade or so.
They seem to be slowly wiggling their way into the US market based on some soft signs I've seen. Their comics/manga (Which seem to come in scrolls or something, based on their formating) are starting to get translations online and there's at least one Korean visual novel creator (Tales Shop) that's been putting out a lot of good work.

Add to that a few higher profile Korean games we've seen released or announced in recent years and it's looking like they'll start making an impact soon.

This also doesn't seem limited to Korea but a lot of South East Asia as a lot of Indonesian personalities have been making waves on YouTube. Part of that is there seems to be a lot of English literacy in Indonesia which allows them to hit a lot more markets than if they only knew the regional languages.

Edit: Ah, also, I remembered that over the past few years I've heard people online talk about how they were "Getting into K-Dramas" so that's yet another way Korean influence is spreading.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

A game developer set to speak on the "Future of Game Design" at Brazil's International Games Festival instead surprised attendees with a talk on "Why NFTs are a nightmare".

Sponsors of the festival included a number of NFT and blockchain companies, such as Lakea and Ripio, as well as panels from sponsors like "Web3 and the New Generation of Games".

However, Mark Venturelli - best known for developing the game Chroma Squad - surprised attendees and sponsors alike with his statement against crypto gaming.

"These people are outsiders here, they're not important," Venturelli told PCGamer after the event. "They're just trying to buy their relevance, because they have no actual influence over the future of our industry. If you just give them this space uncontested, you're just giving them exactly what they want, and buying their narrative that they're relevant."

The title change was a gimmick, with the developer beginning his talk about new trends in gaming before scratching out the title and changing the topic, which was met with applause by the audience.

And although the topic change was controversial, it was cleared with the festival's organisers beforehand and wasn't censored - despite the sponsorship.

"I've heard that the sponsors got really mad," Venturelli says. "They tried to break into the talk while I was talking, but the organisation would not let them. That doesn't surprise me, because the organisation, not at a single point did they censor me, did they stop me from putting what I wanted on the slides. I gave them access to the slides before the talk. There was never any kind of intention on their side to shut me up or anything like that."

Venturelli's presentation has been posted to YouTube, with his slides translated into English. It notes how "everything Play to Earn can do...has already existed for over a decade in other games (but more efficient)".

Much of his argument, though, comes down to trust.

"Computationally, like in real life, if you don't trust the people that you're working with, you have to spend a lot more energy to achieve the same things," Venturelli told PCGamer. "If I'm living with you in the same house and we don't trust each other, I have to, every time before I leave my house, hide my valuables. I have to make inventory of the things that I own, and maybe put cameras or locks inside of things. When I come back home I need to check everything and see if you messed with any of my stuff, and make sure that you don't get into my room when I'm sleeping and all that shit.

"It's so much energy that I have to use just to exist in a room with you, because I don't trust you. That, I feel, is a very good metaphor about how computationally blockchain works, and what is the underlying philosophical idea behind it, which is, 'We want a world without any sort of centralised authority because we cannot trust any of them ever.' And that is the opposite of what we want as a society, in my opinion."

Elsewhere in the games industry, Ubisoft launched an NFT platform claiming players "don't get it", while EA has backtracked from its initial enthusiasm on the topic and Square Enix is researching the technology.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They seem to be slowly wiggling their way into the US market based on some soft signs I've seen. Their comics/manga (Which seem to come in scrolls or something, based on their formating) are starting to get translations online and there's at least one Korean visual novel creator (Tales Shop) that's been putting out a lot of good work.

Add to that a few higher profile Korean games we've seen released or announced in recent years and it's looking like they'll start making an impact soon.

This also doesn't seem limited to Korea but a lot of South East Asia as a lot of Indonesian personalities have been making waves on YouTube. Part of that is there seems to be a lot of English literacy in Indonesia which allows them to hit a lot more markets than if they only knew the regional languages.

Edit: Ah, also, I remembered that over the past few years I've heard people online talk about how they were "Getting into K-Dramas" so that's yet another way Korean influence is spreading.
On a related note, I played My Time at Portia and for whatever reason, looked up who made the game and was surprised to find out it was a Chinese Studio. Mostly because I don't often hear much about games coming out of China and making a splash in the west until pretty recently. Or to clarify, games come out of China that I'm interested in. I'm sure a lot of other people who play different genres have much more exposure to Chinese games then I do would disagree.

Eastward, OTOH, which I think I liked more then most people, I knew was Chinese made. Though that's a game that appealed mostly to me because I'm a wierdo who enjoys surreal shit. Just like I'm one of the 10 people on earth who couldn't wait for the completion of Kentrucky Route Zero whereas everyone else was going "What the fuck is Kentucky Route Zero and why does anyone care?".

Screw these mofos.
I mean, the TLOU is like 10 years old. It still looks really good. How much updating do they really need for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How much updating do they really need for it?
Best guess is that they uprezzed the environmental assets. Enhanced character models, and replaced faces with actual face scans of actors. In theory they had all those actors come into the studio to re-enact the entire game so that facial animations could be updated into "real" acting.

For example

Essentially this remake, replaces all the stylized characters with more "realistic" people and clothing.

However I would imagine that most of the work is simply putting the first game into Part 2's engine. Then layer overing it new facial animations. Honestly I don't know the workload that would take or the team sized required, but I think a smaller team of 30-40 people at ND could have this done in a year or two without much trouble. Remember that all the core game building blocks are already done. Art done, lighting (probably done by engine),

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
REALlSM!!!

It has to look exactly like real life, even when people are aren't asking!
I mean, I do get mad when my Ace Combat games don't have perfect realism in the aircraft that have 150 missles slung under them at all times while pulling 19 gs and routinely shooting down more aircraft then the entire USAF + USN has since WW2.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

I mean of course the people making the game are going to say that.

This is the 3rd release of the same game, except this time it's ported assets from the sequel and shipping with less features than the game originally launched with. And instead of charging 30-40 bucks for an uprez project so people who might have missed it can play it with some extra shinyness, they are charging full price and expecting people not to call it a "cash grab" hahahaha fuck you Naughty Dog.
It really depends. Going back to the original (or the remaster), there's a lot in it that the sequel either smoothed out or changed up quite a bit. Something like going from in-game to prerendered cutscenes through a hard cut was in the first game, but has largely been a thing of the past for most modern games. Should this remake want to moderize this and opt for a fluid transition this would already require a fair bit of work. Not saying it will, but if the point of this remake is to take the first game and make it play and feel mechanically identitical to the sequel, that's not just a simple case of updating textures.

But then I might be a tad less harsh on this remake and its pricing after having bought Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series for 50 bucks, which consists of two 25-year old games that have had the most minimal of spitshines I've ever seen in a remaster. Thanks Bandai Namco. I'm a little sursprised there hasn't been any huff over this online.
Naughty Dog was much better off before TLoU.
How so exactly? They were already getting crunched, and Uncharted 3 wasn't critically too well received. You could say they were better off before Uncharted 3, before they decided to split up their development team and seemingly doubled their workload.

Essentially this remake, replaces all the stylized characters with more "realistic" people and clothing.
The first game was already going for hard realism, it's the flacid color that really irks me.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
But then I might be a tad less harsh on this remake and its pricing after having bought Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series for 50 bucks, which consists of two 25-year old games that have had the most minimal of spitshines I've ever seen in a remaster. Thanks Bandai Namco. I'm a little sursprised there hasn't been any huff over this online.
I can only imagine it's because Klonoa isn't that well known. I hadn't even heard of the series until like a few days ago and I like to think I'm at least passingly famialr with a lot of gaming series(I've heard of Bubsy, for example)

Reactions: Casual Shinji

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It really depends. Going back to the original (or the remaster), there's a lot in it that the sequel either smoothed out or changed up quite a bit. Something like going from in-game to prerendered cutscenes through a hard cut was in the first game, but has largely been a thing of the past for most modern games. Should this remake want to moderize this and opt for a fluid transition this would already require a fair bit of work. Not saying it will, but if the point of this remake is to take the first game and make it play and feel mechanically identitical to the sequel, that's not just a simple case of updating textures.

How so exactly? They were already getting crunched, and Uncharted 3 wasn't critically too well received. You could say they were better off before Uncharted 3, before they decided to split up their development team and seemingly doubled their workload.

The first game was already going for hard realism, it's the flacid color that really irks me.

True, UC3 was a step down from UC2 outside of set pieces and minor gameplay stuff like grenade toss backs. But even afterwards, I’d still rather take UC4/LL over either TLoU games, even though some of the gameplay they have can be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
True, UC3 was a step down from UC2 outside of set pieces and minor gameplay stuff like grenade toss backs. But even afterwards, I’d still rather take UC4/LL over either TLoU games, even though some of the gameplay they have can be highly appreciated.
I haven't played LL yet(I have it, haven't played it) but I felt UC4 was the best of the bunch(with UC2 coming in a close second). Yes, the brother thing comes out of nowhere and one of the central plot twist could have been easily solved with a 10 second google search but it plays damn well and the set pieces are great. Not to mention the interplay between Nathan and his brother works so fucking well I can forgive Sam being retconned in with a hammer for this game.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker