What have you learned today?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yep, this is one example of the Mandela Effect, a false memory shared uniformly by many people. This one always cracks me up because there had to have been that ONE guy in the design phase of the character who tacked on that silver leg thinking it would add to the charm of the idea of a kid scraping together a couple androids like Lego, and almost universally, NO ONE noticed. He's probably one of these mass shooters running around nowadays.
That is where it was pointed out to me, in another explanation of the Mandela Effect by AI: The Somnium Files 2. I had to stop watching and go look it up because I thought there was no way that could be true. I've seen the original trilogy like 6 times, how did I never notice?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That is where it was pointed out to me, in another explanation of the Mandela Effect by AI: The Somnium Files 2. I had to stop watching and go look it up because I thought there was no way that could be true. I've seen the original trilogy like 6 times, how did I never notice?
I'd assume most didn't notice because 1.) he's highly reflective, so the distinction between gold and silver is easily missed in certain environments, and 2.) I don't recall it ever being a point of focus or the camera ever focusing on his lower half enough that anyone should have noticed. I'm not a Star Wars fan, so this one didn't quite blow my mind, but still odd that many fans didn't catch it.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I'd assume most didn't notice because 1.) he's highly reflective, so the distinction between gold and silver is easily missed in certain environments, and 2.) I don't recall it ever being a point of focus or the camera ever focusing on his lower half enough that anyone should have noticed. I'm not a Star Wars fan, so this one didn't quite blow my mind, but still odd that many fans didn't catch it.
I honestly blame time, technology and weird brains. A lot if not most people probably saw it in VHS on a CRT the first time which wouldn't have the sharpest image or color, if you remember that very specific sort of fuzzy kind of grey look that a lot of films in the 70s had. So it may not be particularly easy to pick out the color to begin with.

Also, this, which I learned about today after a weird inspection:

I guess our brains do this really interesting color correction thing when we're faced with colors that aren't fully visible or are otherwise filtered by another color. If you couldn't make out his leg properly, or didn't look directly at it to see clearly, your brain may have just said "it's non-gold because of a shadow or something, I'll fill it in gold".

Today I worked in a warehouse doing inspections that was fully cut off from outside light and illuminated exclusively by sodium vapor lights, which is the old fashioned yellow ass streetlight we all know and love. In an enclosed space they made everything look yellow. In my head though, the place was piled high with multicolor compost and the walls were bright steel. I was actually blown away by how yellow everything was in my photos - to my eye we may as well have been in regular pure sunlight the entire time, but the camera said it was all sickly yellow. We even got them to pull security cams because we didn't believe it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I learned there is little sadder than cooking a meal for your family only to find out after a couple of bites that the sauce you made with it is too spicy for your palate to handle.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Proof if proof be needed that sometimes I'm slow as shit on the uptake, even though in retrospect it should be obvious as fuck - they're high school boys, of course they think about scoring with chicks - but it took a couple of listens to really sink into my head that "Greased Lightning" is about getting laid.

Still a great song to drive to, but fuck me did I just NOT notice XD

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, apparently that one also surprised a fair few people, despite being rather explicit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, apparently that one also surprised a fair few people, despite being rather explicit.
I can forgive hearing "The chicks'll cream" as "The chicks'll scream" since there's barely a difference and its possible Travolta shortened the 's' for effect or something. It not clicking in my head when he calls the car a 'Pussy wagon', and the prior verse mentioning getting ones rocks off just makes me feel like an idiot. Like you're right, the song is NOT subtle. And yet here we are.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Francis Ford Coppola stood by, paid the legal defenses for, sued the family of the victims of, promoted the career of after their conviction while simultaneously blacklisting their victims from Hollywood, of a convicted child abuser who continues to work in film and with teens and kids to this day, wtf.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Francis Ford Coppola stood by, paid the legal defenses for, sued the family of the victims of, promoted the career of after their conviction while simultaneously blacklisting their victims from Hollywood, of a convicted child abuser who continues to work in film and with teens and kids to this day, wtf.

Knew about the Jeepers Creepers guy, didn't know Coppola supported them, am not remotely surprised that people would.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette