Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Heeeey..... Yeah! I've not seen the first Predator in ages, but wasn't it his helmet that provided the thermal vision?? That bone skull thingy in Prey didn't have lenses as far as I could tell. I just look at it; it doesn't even appear to have eyeholes.
Yeah when it happened I literally had to rewind, partially because it was dark and hard to see, but even then I was like "umm what?".

It's a shame because that's the finale and arguably the most important scene of the film. I'm totally onboard with the idea, but the darts being homing? I guess? was too much. I sorta wonder if there was scene cut that explains that mechanic, and maybe they thought they could cut it and trust the audience. They do establish that he uses the laser marker, but I dont recall them ever showing where it comes from so I wasn't left angry so much as

200.gif

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah when it happened I literally had to rewind, partially because it was dark and hard to see, but even then I was like "umm what?".

It's a shame because that's the finale and arguably the most important scene of the film. I'm totally onboard with the idea, but the darts being homing? I guess? was too much. I sorta wonder if there was scene cut that explains that mechanic, and maybe they thought they could cut it and trust the audience. They do establish that he uses the laser marker, but I dont recall them ever showing where it comes from so I wasn't left angry so much as

View attachment 6742
Just had another look. It would seem his eyes are really low set, and he sees from underneath the bone helmet, like the Arbiter in Halo 2. Still, it has no tech that I can see to explain his thermal vision.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not talking about the fanbase. I'm talking about the people who are upset at the human being a giiiiiirl this time around.
Even then though. Ofcourse there'll be some of the usual whiney crybabies, but the hard thirst for a female Predator pre-dates these people, enough so that I'm confident it would drown them out should we ever get one. Am I saying we'll get Lady Dimitrescu levels of thristing should this day ever come? No, but it'll be in the ballpark.

And actually, I've not noticed too many, if any, dipshits having a fit over this female led Predator movie so far. Usually any hint at inclusion will waft the stench of reactionaries onto my youtube home page, but not (yet) with Prey.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Know I'm a little late to this party but...

"I like to keep this for close encounters."

Heeeey..... Yeah! I've not seen the first Predator in ages, but wasn't it his helmet that provided the thermal vision??
Actually, the Predator has natural thermal vision and we see it during the first movie. However, their natural thermal vision operates on a more limited spectral range and only really displays in red, while the mask helps filter and separate them (at least that's what I think is happening).

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime.

Hard to give this one a letter grade. It is a dramatization of real life 2018 event when 13 soccer players get trapped in a cave in Thailand as it gets flooded. 5,000 volunteers from 17 nations come to help and use divers to bring the kids and their coach out to safety. The subject matter is gripping and Ron Howard does a competent job directing.

But it is pretty unnecessary. This story has been documented by National Geographic in "The Rescue"

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Captain Marvel was on tv, so I watched that. Ok, MCU movies tend to always be awful. but this wasn't as awful as some. Just boring, cliched, annoying characters and the usual reliance on the same CGI every film has nowdays instead of...anything (except for references to 90s things I guess). Even X-Men: Dark Phoenix wasn't this bad.

Why do people complain about Batman and Robin? Sure, the plot wasn't better or less cliched, but it wasn't so boring.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Captain Marvel was on tv, so I watched that. Ok, MCU movies tend to always be awful. but this wasn't as awful as some. Just boring, cliched, annoying characters and the usual reliance on the same CGI every film has nowdays instead of...anything (except for references to 90s things I guess). Even X-Men: Dark Phoenix wasn't this bad.

Why do people complain about Batman and Robin? Sure, the plot wasn't better or less cliched, but it wasn't so boring.
This is why I dislike this movie the most out of all the MCU's offerings. In my opinion, at the very least, each MCU movie has one moment, character, or element that justifies it's existence. This movie has nothing. Eternal's is the worst MCU movie, but that alone already makes it more interesting than Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is a nothing character. The action scenes are creatively bankrupt. I recall nothing at all about the soundtrack. I suppose it's one claim to fame is that it's the first female solo film, but that really does mean nothing to me.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
This is why I dislike this movie the most out of all the MCU's offerings. In my opinion, at the very least, each MCU movie has one moment, character, or element that justifies it's existence. This movie has nothing. Eternal's is the worst MCU movie, but that alone already makes it more interesting than Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is a nothing character. The action scenes are creatively bankrupt. I recall nothing at all about the soundtrack. I suppose it's one claim to fame is that it's the first female solo film, but that really does mean nothing to me.
my favorite part of Captain Marvel is the 90s music that just randomly pops in and out of the movie. No fade in and out or context. Like they were trying to copy GOTGs musical themes, but it was clearly a last minute lazy edit decision and no one bothered to clean it up. Sometimes the song doesn't even match the theme of the scene. Its just like two people talking and suddenly "HEY YALL REMEMBER NIRVANA?"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Know I'm a little late to this party but...

"I like to keep this for close encounters."

Actually, the Predator has natural thermal vision and we see it during the first movie. However, their natural thermal vision operates on a more limited spectral range and only really displays in red, while the mask helps filter and separate them (at least that's what I think is happening).
Okay, so still begs the question why this new predator had the distinct thermal vision first seen in the first movie, but without a mask?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm just waiting for the Predator movie with a female Yautja to really piss off people.
There's already been female yautja in EU material, so it's unlikely, unless the producers make a "thing" of it.

Female yautja hunters are less common than males, canonically, but there's nothing forbidding it.

I'm not talking about the fanbase. I'm talking about the people who are upset at the human being a giiiiiirl this time around.
It's kind of surprised me as well, but I think there's a number of possibilities:

-The producers never made a "thing" about it.

-Low expectations?

-It might simply be that the reprobates who go on about it in other medias don't overlap (too much) with the Xenopedian fanbase? I mean, we've had female yautja before, we've had female characters teaming up with yautja before (Lex Woods, Ngouchi), we've had female characters holding their own against yautja before (Isabelle), etc. When you factor in wider material, Prey, at least in terms of concept, isn't as out of field as some might claim.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It might simply be that the reprobates who go on about it in other medias don't overlap (too much) with the Xenopedian fanbase? I mean, we've had female yautja before, we've had female characters teaming up with yautja before (Lex Woods, Ngouchi), we've had female characters holding their own against yautja before (Isabelle), etc. When you factor in wider material, Prey, at least in terms of concept, isn't as out of field as some might claim.
Those movies were before these particular reactionaries became a thing. That really started with Gamergate and saw its first outcry with the release of the trailers to Mad Max: Fury Road. If the first Alien v.s. Predator got released today I assure you there'd be videos from the usual crowd talking about the how the Predator needing the help of a black woman, and her getting the final alien kill while the Pred died, was pushing a woke agenda.

Doesn't really matter if the fanbase overlaps or not, we saw that with Turning Red and that episode of the Baymax cartoon that featured a trans man.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, so still begs the question why this new predator had the distinct thermal vision first seen in the first movie, but without a mask?
Predator 2 suffers from a similar issue. When the City Hunter loses his mask, he has the same thermal vision, as if he was still wearing it. I honestly think it's weird retcon/continuity error most people never bothered fixing in the sequels or spin-offs. I never saw The Predator, and I won't wasting my time to find out.

If the first Alien v.s. Predator got released today I assure you there'd be videos from the usual crowd talking about the how the Predator needing the help of a black woman, and her getting the final alien kill while the Pred died, was pushing a woke agenda.
While I still felt the first AvP had wasted a potential (the Capcom arcade game was based off the original script from 1994), at least it was decent and entertaining. I know a lot black people in the theater I was at went nuts. Everyone went nuts and loved it. I was 15, and the movie with my bro at the Star Theater (closed down last year). AvP2 is a straight up disaster that should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Predator 2 suffers from a similar issue. When the City Hunter loses his mask, he has the same thermal vision, as if he was still wearing it. I honestly think it's weird retcon/continuity error most people never bothered fixing in the sequels or spin-offs. I never saw The Predator, and I won't wasting my time to find out.

While I still felt the first AvP had wasted a potential (the Capcom arcade game was based off the original script from 1994), at least it was decent and entertaining. I know a lot black people in the theater I was at went nuts. Everyone went nuts and loved it. I was 15, and the movie with my bro at the Star Theater (closed down last year). AvP2 is a straight up disaster that should be avoided at all costs.
My disappointment in AvP was that I was hoping for either the video game version or the comic version and I got neither; it’s not a bad movie but it could have better in many ways. Requiem was trashy fun for a bit, plus it was neat to see a non-Hunter predator in action. I saw it in cinemas with a mate and as soon as we saw the exterior of a hospital we were like “Oh no, don’t you dare” and then the next shot was the door marked “Maternity Ward” and we both went “Oh you fucking bastards” and after that we were done.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Requiem was trashy fun for a bit, plus it was neat to see a non-Hunter predator in action. I saw it in cinemas with a mate and as soon as we saw the exterior of a hospital we were like “Oh no, don’t you dare” and then the next shot was the door marked “Maternity Ward” and we both went “Oh you fucking bastards” and after that we were done.
Outside of a few clips on youtube, I've never seen the full movie. I deliberately avoid going to the theaters to see it. Even my brother didn't want to watch it. Another problem with the movies at the film is too damn dark, that you can't appreciate the Predator costumes. In order to appreciate these great designs, you much have to look at production stills and photos, or behind the scenes cameras .

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
To be fair, the Predator in the first movie having completely hazy, red, natural vision is already pretty WTF. I mean, if this is how they see naturally, how the fuck do they get anything done without those helmets? It's technology they didn't have at one point obviously, so what was their life like before? How were they even able to develop this tech if they were practically blind? Or did some other alien race develop it and give it to them?

The Predator's cool, but as soon as you start to expand on the lore of this thing it just kinda falls apart. Hence why the best Predator movies leave the attempt at lore for what it is and just let's the creature hunt some shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Predator's cool, but as soon as you start to expand on the lore of this thing it just kinda falls apart. Hence why the best Predator movies leave the attempt at lore for what it is and just let's the creature hunt some shit.
Which is why I hate it and will never watch it. It features a bunch of retcons that weren't necessary, and just raises further questions. In good conscience can't watch the movie, because the director let a personal friend of his on the set, and said friend is a sexual offender. So they can both fuck off. Not worth the watch, no matter how many cool points it has in the beginning.

Reactions: Casual Shinji