People on Twitter being bitches again.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The talk about protagonists that won't shut up reminded me of the latest Forapoken trailer that had amazing visuals and gameplay that people couldn't wait to try but also absolutely cringe, inane lines from the protag that people were hating. Like the kinds of things you'd expect from a surfer stereotype but without the accent and self awareness.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The talk about protagonists that won't shut up reminded me of the latest Forapoken trailer that had amazing visuals and gameplay that people couldn't wait to try but also absolutely cringe, inane lines from the protag that people were hating. Like the kinds of things you'd expect from a surfer stereotype but without the accent and self awareness.
I just saw the ad. Honestly I don't find it that terrible. I will admit that the way she narrates it seems like they're just trying to copy Marvel or Deadpool without even putting the effort to do so. It does set an inconsistent tone; especially when the game releases and it'll be nothing like the advertisement more than likely. It's not the worst ad ever, but I can see where some people are coming from. I do feel there's a bit of an overreaction though. Nothing is as worse as "cry like an anime fan on prom night", or the advertisements for DmC (2013).

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
LeBron is overrated, but a good player. Jordan is highly overrated, and was a punk ass biatch at times. I won't develop that any further. Look it up.

True about being a whiny biatch occasionally. It doesn’t take away from his playing abilities though. For another thread, but there is plenty of YouTube content from bball buffs on how MJ would’ve averaged at least five PPG more in today’s league. His competitive drive precedes his league status. Who else could still dominate a pivotal playoff game playing with food poisoning for example. Or how some of the NBA greats during the Wizard years have said he still schooled them when he was injury free.

A neat story with Shaq-

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

True about being a whiny biatch occasionally. It doesn’t take away from his playing abilities though. For another thread, but there is plenty of YouTube content from bball buffs on how MJ would’ve averaged at least five PPG more in today’s league. His competitive drive precedes his league status. Who else could still dominate a pivotal playoff game playing with food poisoning for example. Or how some of the NBA greats during the Wizard years have said he still schooled them when he was injury free.

A neat story with Shaq-
I've already seen the video before. Please, I do not need a reminder.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nintendo of America; we need to talk...
Seriously, this is messed up! Why is that guy even still there? I wouldn't want any kids around him.

One woman, a former game tester using the fake name Hannah, says she quit after a male employee allegedly started posting in a work groupchat about video game characters in an inappropriate way, such as having sex with a Pokemon or how he believed it was OK to be attracted to childlike game characters, such as Paimon from Genshin Impact.

NEWS
Game testers accuse Nintendo of America of sexual harassment
By Junior Miyai, News.com.au

August 17, 2022 | 11:48am

A shocking report alleges that many former contractors of Nintendo of America suffered years of sexual harassment and abuse, ranging from inappropriate sexual humor to stalking and threats.

The report by gaming website Kotaku alleges many female contractors came forward to talk about their experiences at Nintendo of America headquarters.

One woman, a former game tester using the fake name Hannah, says she quit after a male employee allegedly started posting in a work groupchat about video game characters in an inappropriate way, such as having sex with a Pokemon or how he believed it was OK to be attracted to childlike game characters, such as Paimon from Genshin Impact.

A man stands in front of Nintendo's logo at the presentation ceremony of its new game console Switch in Tokyo, Japan, Jan. 13, 2017.
Former game testers claim they were sexually harassed by male employees at Nintendo of America headquarters.
REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File

“Nintendo was almost like a nightmare. It’s sad because I love Nintendo; I grew up with Nintendo. I was so excited to join Nintendo when I first got there, and I thought I was going somewhere,” Hannah said.

However, when she reported the incident to her supervisors at Aerotek, which is now named Aston Carter, the contracting company that Hannah worked for, she was allegedly told to be less outspoken, and ostracized by her work group for reporting the incident.

In a previous encounter, Hannah recalled, she did see a co-worker fired after they commented on the color of Hannah’s underwear.

However, the male employee discussing Pokemon sex was a full-time Nintendo employee and she claimed his only punishment was additional sexual harassment training.

Exactly why I don't even bother with Call of Duty.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nintendo of America; we need to talk...
Seriously, this is messed up! Why is that guy even still there? I wouldn't want any kids around him.
WTF Nintendo…don’t stoop to the level of shitty big publishers.

Exactly why I don't even bother with Call of Duty.
Not surprising. Hopefully these kind of people will never know a woman’s touch, or touch a woman period.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Lmao

"The fact the user needed to make a sock puppet like a coward to upload the mod showed their intent to troll and that they knew it would not be allowed. Had they not been a coward and had they used their main account instead, we would have simply removed the mod and told them that we did not want to host it, only banning them if they reuploaded it again after being fairly warned. The creation of the sock puppet removed any doubt and made it a very easy decision for us. Both the sock puppet account and the user's main account have been banned."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If Disney never makes games again, I am fine with that. They are so spoiled when things don't go their way.

Fuck you EA, and fuck you even harder NFL.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Lmao

"The fact the user needed to make a sock puppet like a coward to upload the mod showed their intent to troll and that they knew it would not be allowed. Had they not been a coward and had they used their main account instead, we would have simply removed the mod and told them that we did not want to host it, only banning them if they reuploaded it again after being fairly warned. The creation of the sock puppet removed any doubt and made it a very easy decision for us. Both the sock puppet account and the user's main account have been banned."
Cripes. Why couldn't he just make a nude mod for Black Canary like a normal gamer?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If Disney never makes games again, I am fine with that. They are so spoiled when things don't go there way.

Fuck you EA, and fuck you even harder NFL.
I'm still mad the Just Cause devs killed the Just Cause co-op mod by hiring the creator and then not letting him work towards co-op anymore.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Embracer Group buying all the things
Also
Makes sense for a company that likes collecting companies to collect a company that makes collectibles for collectors

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just saw the ad. Honestly I don't find it that terrible. I will admit that the way she narrates it seems like they're just trying to copy Marvel or Deadpool without even putting the effort to do so. It does set an inconsistent tone; especially when the game releases and it'll be nothing like the advertisement more than likely. That's the worst ad ever, but I can see where some people are coming from. I do feel there's a bit of an overreaction though. Nothing is as worse as "cry like an anime fan on prom night", or the advertisements for DmC (2013).
What's weird is that none of this dialoge is new - The reveal trailer had the exact same line readings. And yeah, it was cringey 'look at us making cool, relatable dialoge', but it's the same lines from a year ago. So what exactly makes people so annoyed with it now? Is it just the crowd that was unaware of this game's existence until recently?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What's weird is that none of this dialoge is new - The reveal trailer had the exact same line readings. And yeah, it was cringey 'look at us making cool, relatable dialoge', but it's the same lines from a year ago. So what exactly makes people so annoyed with it now? Is it just the crowd that was unaware of this game's existence until recently?
Seriously? Some people must be that stupid, bored, or looking for a reaction just for the attention. If that is the case, I have even less reason to be upset by a dumb 30 second ad. Hey dumbasses, if the commercial upsets you so much, how about you ignore the ad and don't buy the game? Instead of this posturing and grandstanding bullshit? Freaking weaklings!

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual Shinji

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Best deal ever made!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Also
Makes sense for a company that likes collecting companies to collect a company that makes collectibles for collectors
I'd like to point out that "embrace" is also a term in many vampire stories, when an ordinary mortal has their blood sucked out and becomes a soulless undead in thrall to their master.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Also
A piece of news significant enough that The Escapist itself published an article about it:
I don't know what they're planning, and I know too little about the business to make a qualified guess. That won't stop me though:

Earlier this year Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard making it the largest acquisition in gaming history. They broke the record set just a few weeks earlier when Take Two acquired Zynga. Apparently it is financially the right time to acquire studios now, whether to gain additional income or denying the competition the same opportunity or some other reason I don't know. Maybe every major group is trying to launch their own games-as-a-subscription-service which requires a whole lot of content? Embracer seems to mostly have b-tier franchises*, so I wonder if this actually can work out for them.

I also wonder if the pandemic meant that a lot more people spent money on video games in the last few years, so gaming companies have more cash to burn and a recent history of seeing video games being a good market performer, and this is why we see these acquisitions. Either that or only 1-2 company/ies see it this way and the rest are merely responding to the first one(s).

*not meant as an insult, meant as a descriptor of how popular their titles are. They call the 2-million seller SnowRunner a notable performer; nothing to scoff at but in terms of video gaming a bit weak.