Saints Row - Saints Low

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
This game is everything I hate about recent open-world games. It pretends to be a game with tons of things to do, but all of them are the same shit within 5 meters of each other. It pretends to be a chaotic, go-wild-with-explosives game, but no impact is felt. It pretends to have great characters that you'll care for, but you never get to build an actual relationship with them while they annoy you with their quirky personalities.

GTA V got this right. Mafia games got this right. Sleeping Dogs got this right. Ex-Saints Row games got this right. Infamous got this right

And they decided to throw everything out the window for the sake of "not offending anyone"? SMH

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really hope someone fucked up and the wrong build of the game went live and we are all just playing a beta build or something.
For disaster like this, it would be too obvious and too easy. I highly doubt it.

I was really rooting for that series to pull itself out of the hole it's been in since 3. Saints Row 2 was such a good game, man. But it seems like it really was just a fluke.
I say the fluke more so goes to the first game. 2 and 3 they at least tried. 3 is not perfect, but still a great game. 4 is a fun game, but it made driving pointless. The game was pretty much Prototype 3. I will say after the fourth game and its dlc, Volition doesn't know where else to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I will say after the fourth game and its dlc, Volition doesn't know where else to go.
Honestly this is why I thought a "reboot" was the best place to go. It gave them the freedom to do a new story with the zanny shit dialed back a bit and tell a new story with a new crew of Saints. But they botched it up completely both from gameplay and technical standpoints. It's like Alien's Colonial Marines.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly this is why I thought a "reboot" was the best place to go. It gave them the freedom to do a new story with the zanny shit dialed back a bit and tell a new story with a new crew of Saints. But they botched it up completely both from gameplay and technical standpoints. It's like Alien's Colonial Marines.
Pretty much a similar idea. The only difference is that I would have called it Saints Row 5, and turned it into a soft reboot. Takes place in the same timeline, but a new generation of gangs.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Shame too I was hoping for the new Saints Row to at least get the ball rolling but it just landed in muck. SR4 is one of my top 10 games and I personally thought I reboot was needed because to me 4 just seemed like the penultimate combining all of the games and characters at the time into one.

Another great series falls.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Well we do live in a late stage capitalism world so no one will learn anything. Not even Rockstar when EGS sinks money to the game to keep it out of Steam's storefront

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just one guys opinion but it's interesting. Let me put it this way. Fizhy played through Fable 3 belching in everyone's faces and cracking up about it the whole time. The man played Elden Ring despite apparently not having much if any Souls experience and was having a blast with it. Going into SR and going "I don't know who this game is for" feels like something has gone wrong.

At this point I'm feeling I should wait for a Sale once it hits Steam in a year. Pick it up at $30 or something. Maybe it'll be worth it then.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
This game is everything I hate about recent open-world games. It pretends to be a game with tons of things to do, but all of them are the same shit within 5 meters of each other. It pretends to be a chaotic, go-wild-with-explosives game, but no impact is felt. It pretends to have great characters that you'll care for, but you never get to build an actual relationship with them while they annoy you with their quirky personalities.

GTA V got this right. Mafia games got this right. Sleeping Dogs got this right. Ex-Saints Row games got this right. Infamous got this right

And they decided to throw everything out the window for the sake of "not offending anyone"? SMH
Also EGS exclusivity to rub salt in the wound for Steam users

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They will live, and they know they have so many better games to play. Not much exclusivity when the game is shit to begin with. It's a win for Steam users, or those who don't pay any price for the game at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Ray Liotta voicing Tommy helps a lot, just saying. Also, at least Tommy didn't have to take his idiot cousin bowling every 5 minutes.
YES!!! Why does video game after video game keep doing this? You would think after Navi oh... almost 25 years ago the first lesson every game developer from then on would have driven into their heads with a sledgehammer was: "don't annoy the everliving hell out of the player!"

They keep doing things like this. Having someone in the game constantly badger the player over and over every few minutes until the player does what they want... and then badger them about something else afterward. It's even worse in open world and sandbox games where the player wandering around doing whatever they feel like as the core point of the game. Sure, put in some bowling minigame if you want. Just never all but put a gun to their head and make them play that minigame! It should be something they do because they want to, not because they all but have to.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
YES!!! Why do video game after video game keep doing this? You would think after Navi oh... almost 25 years ago the first lesson every game developer from then on would have driven into their heads with a sledgehammer was: "don't annoy the everliving hell out of the player!"

They keep doing things like this. Having someone in the game constantly badger the player over and over every few minutes until the player does what they want... and then badger them about something else afterward. It's even worse in open world and sandbox games where the player wandering around doing whatever they feel like as the core point of the game. Sure, put in some bowling minigame if you want. Just never all but put a gun to their head and make them play that minigame! It should be something they do because they want to, not because they all but have to.

Hey Listen! General, I've heard there's a new settlement with some mean ten pins and *dragon roars in the sky*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How would not offending people make a bad game?
It is when your product is lifeless, dull, nothing stands out, and the game tells the player exactly what they should (be forced) like, without the player discovering for themselves. While it is important to modernize things, you can't please everyone. By trying to not offend anyone (no matter the gender, race, religion/atheism, political ideology, etc.), Volition pleased no one. Also, the character so boring and uninteresting, that nothing stands out or the jokes are lame and beyond tired clichés from the 90s and mid 2000s.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
At least these days, publishers seem to be honest about games coming out on Epic. This is something I actually don't have too much problem with.

What pisses me off is when a game gets announced to be on steam, then they switch to Epic all of a sudden. I'm sure this is what actually made epic so hated, but that's a discussion for another time.

And I just realized this game was published by Deep Silver, who also published Homefront: Revolution nad Agents of Mayhem. Both open world games which got mediocre rating.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
It is when your product is lifeless, dull, nothing stands out, and the game tells the player exactly what they should (be forced) like, without the player discovering for themselves. While it is important to modernize things, you can't please everyone. By trying to not offend anyone (no matter the gender, race, religion/atheism, political ideology, etc.), Volition pleased no one. Also, the character so boring and uninteresting, that nothing stands out or the jokes are lame and beyond tired clichés from the 90s and mid 2000s.
I was pleased, it was what I exactly expected from modern gaming and unless the aysayers can make their own in your face game they have as much power as downtrodden outcast. Absolutely nothing except the smug gloating about "go woke, go broke" when the industry has become thoroughly insulated from commercial failures just because it wasn't pandering to the equivalent of smokers.

Look at what happened with EA and how they survived lootboxes and a shitty mobile game that lived longer than most mobile games despite having nothing going for it. And this is the same thing with the reboot of Saints Row, the consumer opinion doesn't manner

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And this is the same thing with the reboot of Saints Row, the consumer opinion doesn't manner
Actually it does. It only depends on bad the fuck up is or isn't. Not all fuck ups are created equally, but most leads to the same results. No one with actual sense wants NFTs, and a majority of gaming audience proved that. The only reason certain companies or rich assholes are still trying to push them, is because of pathetic delusions, or know they are in to deep wasting all of their money, and trying to find any sucker willing buy without any thought.