General Gaming News.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, it was bound to not hold out forever. Although whether or not it's a technical cap or a limit of capitalism is potentially arguable

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Wow, that's actually pretty incredible. Strangely no showcase for character models. I wonder if it can be applied to other popular classics like KOTOR, Witcher 1, and AC 1?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Moores law has been declared death multiple time, but somehow its still holding more or less. The difference is that it cost more and more to just do the research into the improvement since the problem are staggeringly complex at this point and we're pushing against some fundamental of physics, I don't see how the problem with electron tunneling can ever be circumvented, and more exotic computer (like using photon) are nowhere near ready to leave the lab.

Now that being said, as far as computer graphic there's been a crazy diminishing return in the last decade and I don't care much for bigger improvement. Like for example, compare the horizon zero dawn and forbidden west and the change aren't that big despite a console generation difference. Sure you can zoom in and count the number of details, but when your playing you barely tell the difference. Even fancier stuff like ray tracing don't make that big a difference. Honestly at this point I'd be more excited about quieter GPU than stronger one...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Moores law has been declared death multiple time, but somehow its still holding more or less. The difference is that it cost more and more to just do the research into the improvement since the problem are staggeringly complex at this point and we're pushing against some fundamental of physics, I don't see how the problem with electron tunneling can ever be circumvented, and more exotic computer (like using photon) are nowhere near ready to leave the lab.

Now that being said, as far as computer graphic there's been a crazy diminishing return in the last decade and I don't care much for bigger improvement. Like for example, compare the horizon zero dawn and forbidden west and the change aren't that big despite a console generation difference. Sure you can zoom in and count the number of details, but when your playing you barely tell the difference. Even fancier stuff like ray tracing don't make that big a difference. Honestly at this point I'd be more excited about quieter GPU than stronger one...
The other thing is people quickly grow accustomed to most of these improvements, to the point the effect just becomes negligible. Case in point, go from a 1080P Blu-ray movie to a 4K Blu-ray movie and it’s like “Wow!”, but before you even finish the movie it’s not even that big a deal anymore because your brain has already gotten spoiled by it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Do not be alarmed, this is good news.

The United States Department of Homeland Security has awarded a nearly $700,000 grant to terrorism and security researchers to investigate "radicalization" through video games.

As reported by Vice, the funds are headed to Middlebury Institute's Center on Terrorism, Extremism, and Counterterrorism (CTEC), the non-profit organization Take This, and a company looking to curb toxic online behavior called Logically.

“Over the past decade, video games have increasingly become focal points of social activity and identity creation for adolescents and young adults. Relationships made and fostered within game ecosystems routinely cross over into the real world and are impactful parts of local communities,” the grant announcement on the DHS website said. “Correspondingly, extremists have used video games and targeted video game communities for activities ranging from propaganda creation to terrorist mobilization and training.”

One of the goals of this new project is to develop a "set of best practices and centralized resources for monitoring and evaluation of extremist activities as well as a series of training workshops for the monitoring, detection, and prevention of extremist exploitation in gaming spaces for community managers, multiplayer designers, lore developers, mechanics designers, and trust and safety professionals,”

The announcement notes that video game studios of all sizes, in many cases, are not fully educated on how these extremists may try to exploit their games in an effort to radicalize the players. White nationalists have unfortunately found a footing in this space, as there have been groups on Steam who were "openly espousing Neo-Nazi beliefs and worshipping school shooters" in the past." Steam has attempted to remove these groups, but the people behind this grant want to go further.

Take This' Dr. Rachel Kowert and CTEC's Alex Newhouse shared some of their early findings at this year's Game Developer Conference, and it confirms that the initial focus will "lean towards white nationalism and white supremacy." Hopefully, their efforts will make some lasting change in this industry and beyond.

This effort comes in a time following the racially motivated mass shooting in Buffalo, New York, that was broadcasted on Twitch and saw ten people killed and three more injured.

Assholes cultists.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

This will never end, Big Brother using videogame scapegoating as a diversion from all the other real world problems that are legit causing this.

*edit - actually reads article* well maybe they'll get somewhere with this. XBL was doing something similar with child predators, IIRC.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This will never end, Big Brother using videogame scapegoating as a diversion from all the other real world problems that are legit causing this.
Did you read the article? I read through it, and as much as I don't like Homeland Security, they're not scapegoating anybody. They're pointing out how white supremacists and neo-Nazis are using video games to try and spread their bad influence and divide people. They even want to work with and help game developers to prevent this from happening or from future racist jackasses trying to get into a hobby they really don't care about and only use it to force their pathetic beliefs and hatred.

I get what you mean, but just keep your eyes open. Be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Did you read the article? I read through it and as much as I don't like Homeland security, they're not scapegoating anybody as far as I see you so far. They're pointing out how white supremacists and neo-nazis are using video games to try and spread their bad influence and divide people. They even want to work with and help game developers to prevent this from happening or from future racist jackasses trying to get into a hobby they really don't care about and only use it to spout their pathetic beliefs and hatred.

I get what you mean, but just keep your eyes open. Be on the lookout for anything suspicious.
Ahh, well that makes sense. I just kinda knee-jerked that response based off the headline since they used GTA, which was kinda big on being controversial historically.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
We got the trailer for the HBO's TLOU:

And you know what? It looks pretty good IMO. Certainly makes me forget about all other bullshit about the franchise

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
We got the trailer for the HBO's TLOU:

And you know what? It looks pretty good IMO. Certainly makes me forget about all other bullshit about the franchise
I was talking about this on twitter. This does look really fucking good, for a video game adaptation. But...it also looks TOO good right? Like why wouldn't I just play the game instead?

I mean I guess it's for people who don't play games (fucking weird as that is) or who have never previously had interest in the game, but like...I hope there is something more to the show than just the video game with real people. I dunno, duality of a gamer. I want game movies to follow the games, but at the same time it's like I dont?

Either way hopfully it's great and it will show that you can follow a game's story and make something really cool. Maybe teach Hollywood a lesson or some shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean I guess it's for people who don't play games (fucking weird as that is) or who have never previously had interest in the game
My parents both love the Uncharted. Then again, they only care about Mark Wahlberg really. They also enjoy the live action tomb raiders. All three of them. The once again, big fan of the big name actor for the first two movies. My mom does enjoy really watching the first Mortal Kombat movie. She does not like the games because of the gore. But once again, part of the reason is because Christopher Lambert is in it. At least she has no issues watching it when it comes on. Neither of them are going to be watching this TV series. They don't like zombie movies. More so my mom.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy