New Silent Hill Games

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No thread yet on the Silent Hill transmission news? What's going on!?

Konami finally stopped sitting on their piles of ill-gotten money and provided trailers for new & upcoming Silent Hill projects. We all knew about the high likelihood of a remake of Silent Hill 2 helmed by Bloober Team (best known for Layers of Fear and The Medium) because that news leaked ages ago, although it did finally get a proper trailer.

What wasn't so expected were trailers for two altogether new entries in the series: Silent Hill Townfall, being developed by No Code, and Silent Hill f, being written by the Visual Novel writer Ryukishi07. The latter looks much more stylistically Japanese than previous entries, with the trailer featuring red spider lillies and a Torii gate.

There was also an announcement of an "interactive streaming series", whatever that means, called Silent Hill Ascension, and another film called Return to Silent Hill.

The news starts at the 10 minute mark in the vid above. I'm altogether surprised and delighted we're getting anything from the Silent Hill franchise while Konami still holds those rights.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It’s in the news and videos threads I think, but yeah this would help keep track of them all as they develop.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Radio silence.

Looks like AAA horror and action horror is making a comeback. These SH games and SH2 Remake (all I am still wary of), Dead Space Remake, RE4Remake, and Callisto Protocol. Space Horror is making a big comeback too from all sides of the industry.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So what? Is their strategy to burn everybody out on Silent Hill all at once so they don't have to make any more for another decade? Or maybe they'll make a bunch of crappy products and release them all at once to cash in on the last remaining dregs of interest in the franchise.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So they're the Anti-Gandhi?
Hopefully more like a Remake-Gandhi.

Really though, it is kinda surprising that Konami would put all their eggs into the Silent Hill IP, after it has been rather cursed with a longer string of mediocrity than any successes enjoyed beforehand. I wonder how long this smorgasbord was in the works, and if it’s going to be treated as litmus test for their other IPs to follow or not.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Do you guys think there is any chance these will be good? Giving the history of the series and Konami as a company?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do you guys think there is any chance these will be good? Giving the history of the series and Konami as a company?
Considering all of these games are being outsourced to different devs, none internal within Konami, anything goes. SH2R can work as long as whatever veteran from Konami is guiding them not to fuck up. SHf looks the most interesting, because of the flower motif and having a 1960s Japanese setting. I love the concept of another country having their own type of Silent Hill that is just as nightmarish or worse than the small American town. The rest I wish the best of luck, but I have little to none interests in them.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The Silent Hill 2 remake looks incredible and based on what's shown in the trailer they're sticking to the original very closely story and settingwise while updating it graphically and probably with gameplay. If they honestly do that the game is going to be great. I just wonder how they're going to keep things interesting for players of the original i.e. a great chunk of their primary audience who already know everything that's going to happen.

Silent Hill F... as someone who can't get enough of the Fatal Frame games it definitely looks interesting to me. The strong Japanese aesthetic does make me wary though, where's the Silent Hill in a Silent Hill game?

Ultimately the question is going to be if these games actually live up to their trailers.