What old IPs/series do you think or would you like to see a new game in?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Speaking of cyberpunk (the genre, not specifically 2077) I wish someone would make a spiritual successor to Shadowrun for SEGA Genesis. That was my intro to Shadowrun back in the day, and while it was a bit buggy and had some terrible design decisions (Tar Pit IC being the worse) it still had it's moments. I remember a few different indie games trying to recreate the look-and-feel of matrix levels, but I don't remember if any of those got to release.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Speaking of cyberpunk (the genre, not specifically 2077) I wish someone would make a spiritual successor to Shadowrun for SEGA Genesis. That was my intro to Shadowrun back in the day, and while it was a bit buggy and had some terrible design decisions (Tar Pit IC being the worse) it still had it's moments. I remember a few different indie games trying to recreate the look-and-feel of matrix levels, but I don't remember if any of those got to release.
I would rather a spiritual successor to Shadowrun for the SNES. That was my introduction and holy crap it was good... and it needed mouse support. There are the new Shadow Run games, which are awesome, but not quite the same thing.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I think I would like a big budget Shadowrun production in the vein of 2077, though hopefully with less silly ambition and scope. I don't need some big open world, just give me a semi-open experience like Deus Ex(which I feel is what 2077 should've aimed to be from the start) and I'm gold.

Though I also wouldn't mind a full CRPG experience. There are the newer Shadowrun games, but they don't really offer an open CRPG experience. They are kinda rather linear and 'level' based compared to lets say, Pillars of Eternity. Though I've only finished Returns and got about halfway through Dragonfall.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think I would like a big budget Shadowrun production in the vein of 2077, though hopefully with less silly ambition and scope. I don't need some big open world, just give me a semi-open experience like Deus Ex(which I feel is what 2077 should've aimed to be from the start) and I'm gold.

Though I also wouldn't mind a full CRPG experience. There are the newer Shadowrun games, but they don't really offer an open CRPG experience. They are kinda rather linear and 'level' based compared to lets say, Pillars of Eternity. Though I've only finished Returns and got about halfway through Dragonfall.
I still need to play Returns, but I've heard its by far the weakest of the 3. I did beat Dragonfall and Hong Kong and I loves them so much. I kinda like the level based nature of them, to me the cyberpunk setting shouldn't really be mapped, having a way to escape the city by just driving away seems wrong.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I still need to play Returns, but I've heard its by far the weakest of the 3. I did beat Dragonfall and Hong Kong and I loves them so much. I kinda like the level based nature of them, to me the cyberpunk setting shouldn't really be mapped, having a way to escape the city by just driving away seems wrong.
Returns is hella short. I think I beat it in around 9-10 hours? From what I heard they made Returns largely to be an engine for people to create their own Shadowrun campaigns in, and the campaign it did contain was just meant to be a short story deal to show off what it was capable of. But people liked it way more than expected, which led to Dragonfall and Hong Kong which are more proper full length games.

I don't really need a super open world, but what bothered me about the newer Shadowruns is just a lack of ability to freely explore I guess. At least that's what Returns and Dragonfall felt like. I don't really hate it I guess, but it's just the expectations you have when you play a CRPG looking game. Like there's a town, heaps of people to just freely talk to and get sidequests, and also steal all their shit that isn't locked away.

I can respect the more level based approach, which is what a Deus Ex like experience tends to be like. And is probably the framework I'd prefer a new Shadowrun game to follow. Mostly linear but allows for some degree of twatting about.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Pandemic's Mercenaries series, I could use another updated one of those. Just super dumb fun.

Tecmo's Deception series, I don't know why these never really caught on. The idea of all-trap based combat always activated that Looney Tunes comedy sense and I found it really entertaining.

I'd like to bring a lot of Lucasarts games back. But rather than harp on XWing like I usually would, let's say Outlaws. Classic shooter, classic western story, frankly amazing western soundtrack.

Let's go really, really obscure... Quarantine. This was a DOS-era driving game, dystopia future, open world, driving combat... and you are just a cab driver trying to get passengers from a to b alive without being blown up because everyone has wheel spikes, guns, and cowcatchers on their cars. Kind of Rogue Tripish...

Oh... Rogue Trip, Twisted Metal with less stupid "MK Tournament, but with cars" story and more silliness because the whole concept is silly anyway.

And finally, Pigskin Footbrawl. It was a weird, weird mix of football, Arch Rivals, with a kind of partial endless runner control scheme, and a fantasy setting.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Returns is hella short. I think I beat it in around 9-10 hours? From what I heard they made Returns largely to be an engine for people to create their own Shadowrun campaigns in, and the campaign it did contain was just meant to be a short story deal to show off what it was capable of. But people liked it way more than expected, which led to Dragonfall and Hong Kong which are more proper full length games.

I don't really need a super open world, but what bothered me about the newer Shadowruns is just a lack of ability to freely explore I guess. At least that's what Returns and Dragonfall felt like. I don't really hate it I guess, but it's just the expectations you have when you play a CRPG looking game. Like there's a town, heaps of people to just freely talk to and get sidequests, and also steal all their shit that isn't locked away.

I can respect the more level based approach, which is what a Deus Ex like experience tends to be like. And is probably the framework I'd prefer a new Shadowrun game to follow. Mostly linear but allows for some degree of twatting about.
You might really like Hong Kong, it has more of a home town area to roam around and people to talk too then Dragonfall. There aren't a ton of NPC's but a good number and I think they give sidequests, but you can't really steal from them as I remember.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Castlevania, I guess.

Because I'm watching the Netflix show and I'm sure I played one of those games like 30 years ago or whatever but I don't remember. I don't really feel like play some 8 or 16 bit era game, I ain't into that. So a new good Castelvania game seems like it would be cool.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Castlevania, I guess.

Because I'm watching the Netflix show and I'm sure I played one of those games like 30 years ago or whatever but I don't remember. I don't really feel like play some 8 or 16 bit era game, I ain't into that. So a new good Castelvania game seems like it would be cool.
The Castlevania Advance Collection has good games in it. Circle of the Moon isn't everyone's cup of tea but the other two games on it are great for anyone.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Castlevania, I guess.

Bloodstained is basically a Castlevania game in all but in name.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

lol it sounds like you want the SNES shadowrun. It would be nice, was a nice in between an open world game and a CRPG.

The sad thing is this coudl easily be done in CP2077, CDproject did all the hardwork needed (make massive open world and mechanic) and they could easily do the rest (populate with interesting NPC and add more stuff to do), but its sorta too late now (although I'd love a DLC/expansion that would do just that, the backlash from community would probably make it not worth it).

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Tecmo's Deception series, I don't know why these never really caught on. The idea of all-trap based combat always activated that Looney Tunes comedy sense and I found it really entertaining.
They had a Deception IV for the PS3 in 2014 that got an expansion in 2015 for the PS4 but the series has been quiet since. I think Deception 2 was probably my favorite of the series in terms of story, the mechanics haven't changed much across the series.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Castlevania, I guess.

Oh definitely. The last "Castlevania" game we got was the Lords of Shadows series I think which didn't have the metroidvania style gameplay the Castlevania series had been known for which is why I think people didn't like it much.

Honestly there's quite a few Castlevania clones out there in Steam these days. There's even a entire category of "Metroidvania" games to search for and I've played a few good ones of them, but I definitely do think Bloodstained is the one that gets the Castlevania feel down the best.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So a new good Castelvania game seems like it would be cool.
Better start playing the Lords of Shadows titles and the PS2 games, because that's all you're gonna get 3d wise.

The Castlevania Advance Collection has good games in it. Circle of the Moon isn't everyone's cup of tea but the other two games on it are great for anyone.
Don't forget about the Classicvania Collection (the linear non Metrodvania games).
Oh definitely. The last "Castlevania" game we got was the Lords of Shadows series I think which didn't have the metroidvania style gameplay the Castlevania series had been known for which is why I think people didn't like it much.
The Mirror of Fate midquel/gaiden game and Lords of Shadow 2 uses metroidvania style. LoS2 combines those elements with a hub world using Dracula's castle.

I actually prefer the 8 bit spin-off games to the canon game. I admit to being having a heavy bias towards the Classicvania play style.

Because I'm watching the Netflix show and I'm sure I played one of those games like 30 years ago or whatever but I don't remember.
The fist Castlevania TV Series is based off of Caslevania III: Dracula's Curse, with some visual elements from Symphony of the Night.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A Cold Fear remake can work considering how rushed the original game was, and not a lot of monster designs were used from the concept art.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'd kinda like to see a remake or something for Carrier. Not sure how many people remember Carrier, it was a survival horror game from the Dreamcast that was kinda neat. I really liked the setting of it being on a super aircraft carrier and I think it had a few other neat things that not many other survival horror games had done at the time... although I don't remember them at all.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Honestly there's quite a few Castlevania clones out there in Steam these days. There's even a entire category of "Metroidvania" games to search for and I've played a few good ones of them, but I definitely do think Bloodstained is the one that gets the Castlevania feel down the best.
I feel Bloodstained deserves a specific mention since it has Koji Igarashi behind it, a veteran developer on many Castlevania games before he left Konami. I think there's many who consider Bloodstained to be the closest thing to a direct successor of the Castlevania franchise. Not like Konami seems to be doing much with the IP these days...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I feel Bloodstained deserves a specific mention since it has Koji Igarashi behind it, a veteran developer on many Castlevania games before he left Konami. I think there's many who consider Bloodstained to be the closest thing to a direct successor of the Castlevania franchise. Not like Konami seems to be doing much with the IP these days...
I'm sure they'll turn it into a pachinoslot as soon as they remember it exists

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
They had a Deception IV for the PS3 in 2014 that got an expansion in 2015 for the PS4 but the series has been quiet since. I think Deception 2 was probably my favorite of the series in terms of story, the mechanics haven't changed much across the series.
I liked the spiritual sequel to 2, "Trapt." It just went bigger and more ridiculous, and that is what was needed. The story was as poor and forgettable as any in the series, and the voice acting was hilariously awful. And the controls were terrible... frankly most of the series isn't good. But that gameplay. Nothing more fun than juggling an enemy in the air between ridiculously over the top cartoon trap weapons. The more hideous and brutal you make some guy's poor Acme Labs-esque death, the more points and money you get. It was a series of terrible games that were the most satisfyingly fun to play I have ever seen.