Bayonetta 3 Thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I actually realized I'm not in the mood for this game right now- but to be fair that is most new games. I will wait a good long while. The first two are fresh in my hands/brain so now that we get to release date I'm not excited to play yet more Bayonetta.

Is there any chance you think that some day in the future it will be ported to PC or other platforms?
Almost 0. Nintendo games only appear on Nintendo systems, for now. Might change in the future if they move out of hardware. Bayonetta 2/3 wouldn't exist without Nintendo since the first game wasn't a big seller at the time.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I would like to think I hold a middle ground in this debate. I agree with Critical's points but I still think that in the cases where a voice actor has truly contributed a unique and iconic voice like Peter Cullen or David Hayter, that they should be getting more for their work than they seem to.

Speaking of David Hayter, I remember how pleasantly surprising it was to see the names of the voice actors for characters pop up on screen when they first showed up in the MGS series. More things like that would be nice. But what do I know?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I figured as much.
Ugh, damn console exclusives. How can anyone put up with such arrogance, such anti-consumer restrictive bullcrap.
*replays Demons Souls*
That's a big problem with the system. But it is a two-way street. The consumers also share some blame. The Microsoft Xbox 360 and PS3 Sony fanboys didn't exactly help themselves either. They should have bought the first game when it was on both respective the consoles. Though the PS3 version was outsourced by Sega themselves (the game was supposed to be at 360 exclusive) and Platinum had nothing to do with it. It was a piece of crap and only barely played better after the patch updates.

Honestly I wish the Switch hadn't been such a successful system because it would really be cool to have real powerhouse Nintendo games on the level of The Witcher 3, God of War, etc. Imagine if Bayonetta 3 could look as good as DMC5. That would be fucking sick!
The Switch still has the indie titles and Nintendo's more than welcoming to indie games of all types. Nintendo will be fine. I'm glad the Switch became a success. I wouldn't mind a Bayonetta game in the re engine. Let's not mince words though, DMC 5 looks spectacular, and has plenty of environmental detail, character models, and demon designs, but it's just one corridor after another. You're either in a ruined city or the demon anal womb tree. The most interesting looking environments are the ones in bloody Palace mode. Pick any of the Bayonetta games, and you're going through different environments of all kinds. It's why Bayonetta 2, and more than likely to third game, have the best level design over DMC 5. Even for all of DmC's (2013) faults, at least the game has different and unique environments for each mission. Even if it was just basic color theory. Ironic, because both the reboot and the fifth main line entry, took some gameplay elements from Bayonetta.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Switch still has the indie titles and Nintendo's more than welcoming to indie games of all types. Nintendo will be fine.
I think you miss my point. I know Nintendo will be fine. My problem is that I want more modernized Nintendo games, which can't happen when they keep pumping out underpowered systems, because it means that the rest of the industry moves onto bigger and better things while Nintendo passes through time differently.

It means they can't compete with complexity and detail in gaming because their systems can't handle it. So when you see incredible worlds like Horizon, and GoW, and any number of other games, Nintendo can never match those things because the developers will always be held back by the weak system hardware.

I mean Gotham Knights just went through this and other Devs complained because they have to get the game running on the weak Series S, and it hold's shit back.

If console makers just set themselves a baseline of how good the systems all have to be, then everyone can compete on making the best games rather than forcing developers to compensate for a variety in hardware. I mean fuck, that was the benefit to consoles for decades. Developing for PC was hard because people have a wide level of system specs and they had to support a range of hardware. But on console that was never a problem because they knew everyone would have the same Playstation, same Xbox, whatever.

Microsoft fucked that up by offering a weaker version of the system, expecting it to handle the same shit that the better version does. And Nintendo is just weirdly like 3-4 years behind everyone else because Nintendo lives in Nintendoland.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think you miss my point. I know Nintendo will be fine. My problem is that I want more modernized Nintendo games, which can't happen when they keep pumping out underpowered systems, because it means that the rest of the industry moves onto bigger and better things while Nintendo passes through time differently.
I didn't miss your point, I just don't see it as that big a deal. I get it, but we can't have every single thing you want. You have your points, but if I already got a powerful console or two of them, I don't need a third to validate my purchase. Not every game has to be "oh my God 4K, super realistic graphics all the time!". That crap gets boring and or annoying after a while. I need variety. I'm art style, stylized graphics, and presentation first, over super high detail "realistic" graphics that age within the first two or three years. Any day of the week. Otherwise, you get shit like The Order: 1886.

It means they can't compete with complexity and detail in gaming because their systems can't handle it. So when you see incredible worlds like Horizon, and GoW, and any number of other games, Nintendo can never match those things because the developers will always be held back by the weak system hardware.
Which is why I prefer smaller games on the system anyway.

mean Gotham Knights just went through this and other Devs complained because they have to get the game running on the weak Series S, and it hold's shit back.
That's a different case altogether. Microsoft shouldn't even bother putting two versions of their console. And I said this before already, but the same applies to PS5. It is better by comparison, but just make a physical version and be done with it. This whole here's just a digital version of console will wear out its use the moment more disc consoles are made available.

Microsoft fucked that up by offering a weaker version of the system, expecting it to handle the same shit that the better version does.
Agreed .

And Nintendo is just weirdly like 3-4 years behind everyone else because Nintendo lives in Nintendoland.
What else is new? At this point, you're either in or you're out. The reason I even got to Switch in the first place, was because I knew most of the Wii U games would you get ported to the switch itself, other 8th generation consoles and PC. The moment Bayo2 got announced for Switch, along with the first game, I traded in my Wii U the following year when it released. I'm admitted in the past that I don't care for most of Nintendo's first party stuff. I'm literally only there for the third party games, the indie games, and the nice Japanese (action) games. I do love Donkey Kong country, and I'll occasionally get my toes back in the Mario once in awhile, but they have nothing else to offer for me. Sometimes Kirby.

If console makers just set themselves a baseline of how good the systems all have to be, then everyone can compete on making the best games rather than forcing developers to compensate for a variety in hardware. I mean fuck, that was the benefit to consoles for decades. Developing for PC was hard because people have a wide level of system specs and they had to support a range of hardware. But on console that was never a problem because they knew everyone would have the same Playstation, same Xbox, whatever.
They also need to stop boasting about how powerful their systems (or the games that run on them) are, and then say all of a sudden "We can't make it run at 60fps! The graphics look great, but the gameplay is terrible! We need this super high graphical detail, otherwise people won't buy our product!". It's a problem that goes all the way back to the 5th generation's a consoles. Selling a lie or exaggerating a statement, and just hoping graphics alone will sell everything. It's why nobody trusts screenshots of CGI or non gameplay trailers anymore. What worked back then definitely does not work now. That crap wasn't even acceptable during seventh generation, some of the time.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That crap gets boring and or annoying after a while. I need variety. I'm art style, stylized graphics, and presentation first, over super high detail "realistic" graphics that age within the first two or three years. Any day of the week. Otherwise, you get shit like The Order: 1886.
But you wouldn't want a more expansive Bayonetta game, with more opportunities for exploration, and better world environments? I mean while gameplay matters then most, the bland environments make the experience feel too samey at times, which was even a problem in DMC5 admittedly, but at least there was detail in the world rather than flat textures and whatever.

Not to mention if the games are going to have AAA-cost then they should have AAA-standards.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But you wouldn't want a more expansive Bayonetta game, with more opportunities for exploration, and better world environments?
The second game technically already did that. Unless you're referring to open world game design, then no. I don't mind detailed world environments, but as long as the gameplay is good or the environments look decent, it's not going to be that big a deal. Besides, I only have Skill Up's words to go off on, and I am not looking at other reviews yet. I'll see for myself, if they're that big of a problem or big deal. The environments are only more basic, because they had to get the summons to work properly. Even with a definitive edition on a non Nintendo console, that wouldn't be that much of a facelift in the environmental detail.

which was even a problem in DMC5 admittedly, but at least there was detail in the world rather than flat textures and whatever
Yet once again, it's mostly empty hallways of either dull brown, dull gray, and sometimes green. There is a bit more color towards the end of DMC 5, but that's like in the very few last missions. Mainly when you're on top of the demon tree. For God sakes, Bloody Palace is more colorful than all the stages combined in the main campaign. The more muted color palette does not help. Here's hoping for DMC6, Itsuno or whoever replaces him, experiment with a lot more color. They have no more excuses after the Resident Evil remakes, Monster Hunter Rise, and EXO Primal. DMC1 & DMC3 have iconic locations and memorable spots. I can't say the same for DMC5. Memorable boss encounters, combat mechanics, character moments, and music and sound design. Level design? Not so much. I appreciate the more straightforward arcade style, but at least have different looking environments. I know they're still experimenting in playing some wouldn't save, but they have no excuse for next game

Say whatever you will about any of the Bayonetta games, but they're all colorful and you go to different locals. Even the first game with its washed out look, is more colorful than DMC 5.

Not to mention if the games are going to have AAA-cost then they should have AAA-standards.
True to an extent, but I'll always throw some leeway when there's effort and care put into it. Platinum wanted to focus more on the combat and it's mechanics, so I don't have a problem with it. Not everything has to be perfect or beyond perfect. As long as the game plays good and looks good enough for me, I usually don't have an issue. Now outputs for the past few years from Activision, EA, or Ubisoft have no excuses.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I just watched SkillUp's review and it re-invigorated my interest in the game. Sorry Brawlman though I get your complaint with him I kind of agree with SkillUp- I'm not playing Bayonetta for the "story," I'm playing for the action and spectacle. SkillUp's main praise is that the game delivers on the spectacle excellently and that is what I'm about.
The most interesting part of his review is questioning what the limitations of the Switch may hath wrought. It's speculative so I dunno, but a valid question.

What I do really like is seeing Bayonetta in different worlds and now I want to play it again lol.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just watched SkillUp's review and it re-invigorated my interest in the game. Sorry Brawlman though I get your complaint with him I kind of agree with SkillUp- I'm not playing Bayonetta for the "story," I'm playing for the action and spectacle. SkillUp's main praise is that the game delivers on the spectacle excellently and that is what I'm about.
The most interesting part of his review is questioning what the limitations of the Switch may hath wrought. It's speculative so I dunno, but a valid question.

What I do really like is seeing Bayonetta in different worlds and now I want to play it again lol.
Don't get me wrong, I like gameplay over story as well, but all I'm saying is that the story enhances the action, combat, & spectical even further. I take issue when he said "no one plays Bayonetta for the story". Not everybody plays it for the story, but it sure as hell isn't "no one".

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I like gameplay over story as well, but all I'm saying is that the story enhances the action, combat, & spectical even further. I take issue when he said "no one plays Bayonetta for the story". Not everybody plays it for the story, but it sure as hell isn't "no one".
Agreed, that's why I enjoyed Bayonetta 2 more then 1, the story is better told and more interesting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'll also say that voice actors in games DO have an effect on them, even if we don't always hear about it. I remember one example being the boss Elise from Azure Striker Gunvolt. Her character was changed to be less creepy and more sympathetic both in terms of dialogue and appearance because of voice the voice actress gave to the character. Now, that wasn't a huge change to the plot of the game or anything but it was still A change.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Almost 0. Nintendo games only appear on Nintendo systems, for now. Might change in the future if they move out of hardware. Bayonetta 2/3 wouldn't exist without Nintendo since the first game wasn't a big seller at the time.
And for all the people who played the original and don’t plan on buying a Nintendo system any time soon (if ever), they may as well not exist. Really though, the stars had to align in their favor to somehow be the only one to take a chance on an IP that apparently didn’t sell well enough. I mean, from this article it sounded like a big success for Platinum along with a string of others, until ironically enough they worked with Nintendo on Wonderful 101 for the Wii U and it flopped -

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And for all the people who played the original and don’t plan on buying a Nintendo system any time soon (if ever), they may as well not exist. Really though, the stars had to align in their favor to somehow be the only one to take a chance on an IP that apparently didn’t sell well enough. I mean, from this article it sounded like a big success for Platinum along with a string of others, until ironically enough they worked with Nintendo on Wonderful 101 for the Wii U and it flopped -

The main reason W101 failed, was because Nintendo didn't advertise the game at all. I know it was on the Wii u, but them barely advertising the game at all did not help. Hell, the French got more advertising on the game that anybody in Japan, UK, or the United States.

That's part of the reason why Platinum want to self-publish, and why they put the game on 8th gen consoles & PC.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
From the story both Bayonetta games kinda were flops and Astral Chains and Nier really saved things.

The main reason W101 failed, was because Nintendo didn't advertise the game at all. I know it was on the Wii u, but them barely advertising the game at all did not help. Hell, the French got more advertising on the game that anybody in Japan, UK, or the United States.
That would make more sense if the remaster of Wonderful 101 had done better since it did get more press then the original release, but it hasn't sold very well either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From the story both Bayonetta games kinda were flops and Astral Chains and Nier really saved things.
The first Bayo sold fine, but Sega was expecting more copies. Ironically, the PS3 version sold the most; especially in Japanese and Asian territories. Nier Automata is the one that saved Platinum from going bankrupt. Astral Chain preformed great and matched Nintendo (exceeded for them) and Platinum's expectations.

That would make more sense if the remaster of Wonderful 101 had done better since it did get more press then the original release, but it hasn't sold very well either.
It does make sense, because it did happen. I know The Remaster didn't get much advertisement either, other than a few trailers and some reviews from different outlets. It still doesn't change the fact that in 2013, Nintendo didn't do much to advertise the game on the Wii U. Also, similar to Rayman Legends, the game pretty much came out a week and a half or two after GTA V.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The first Bayo sold fine, but Sega was expecting more copies. Ironically, the PS3 version sold the most; especially in Japanese and Asian territories. Nier Automata is the one that saved Platinum from going bankrupt. Astral chainsaw great and matched Nintendo (exceeded for them) and Platinum's expectations.

It does make sense, because it did happen. I know the remasterers didn't get much advertisement either, other than a few trailers and some reviews from different outlets. It still doesn't change the fact that in 2013, Nintendo didn't do much to advertise the game on the Wii U. Also, similar to Rayman Legends, the game pretty much came out a week and a half or two after GTA V.
It was enough of a flop that Sega didn't care about Bayo2 and Bayo 2 didn't sell as well as the first one. From the article it sounded like Astral Chains was a huge success.

I do think my first time hearing about wonderful 101 was seeing it in stores and being like, hey a new platinum game that looks awesome. But, I'm not 100% sure since I kinda stopped paying much attention to console news around that point, till I was looking for a wiiU and started looking up games lists and seeing Wonderful 101 show up on them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It was enough of a flop that Sega didn't care about Bayo2 and Bayo 2 didn't sell as well as the first one.
Yes, we already know that. It didn't sell well on the Wii U, but sold a lot better on the Switch. Nintendo was and still is satisfied with the sales of Bayonetta 2 on Switch.

From the article it sounded like Astral Chains was a huge success.
I never said it wasn't a success, nor implied it. I was just adding in some extra context.

I do think my first time hearing about wonderful 101 was seeing it in stores and being like, hey a new platinum game that looks awesome. But, I'm not 100% sure since I kinda stopped paying much attention to console news around that point, till I was looking for a wiiU and started looking up games lists and seeing Wonderful 101 show up on them.
The first time I ever heard or seen of W101, was when it was first shown in Nintendo's direct during the middle of 2012 it was around summertime if I remember correctly. Like I said before, that game pretty much had about almost zero advertisement. It had a few previews, and some decent amount of reviews, but that was it. No TV advertisements at all. Mad World had gotten more advertisement than W101. I didn't get my Wii U until 2014.