What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Since I'm waiting for a bunch of content patches and demos to come out tomorrow, I picked up Forgive me Father again. I didn't really like it much when it first came out and quickly got distracted by something else, but so far now with a few patches and adjusting my mouse sensitivity down since it defaults to way too high, I am enjoying it much more.

Reactions: gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Tried to get into Returnal and I know you're supposed to die all the time but I do ALL THE TIME, I can't get past two rooms. Yes, I suck at shooting games, but also everything blue black red so I can't see what's going on. This is going to be a hard nope for me.

Started an Elden Ring replay to try a tanky healing paladdin and I'm already unable to level up enough in the like the first area to make it work, lol.

So yeah I'm kind of in between stuff. *shrugs*

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recently bought a game of Legends of Apex. I started playing it and I really liked it. But it's a pity I don't have much time. That's why I'm very glad when I find an opportunity to play a little bit.
So whats the verdict, bot or human?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, so much for Persona 5. Lemme paint you a picture:
I had gotten about 3 or 4 hours in. The first like, I dunno, 5-10 hrs are huge tutorial? Mostly talking and understanding the world. I told myself if I appreciate that for Witcher 3, I'll excuse it for P5. I was kinda bored but was interested enough in the battle system and the idea of splitting time between character building and dungeon fighting. So I was gonna keep going. As I played of course I saved my game every time I was prompted to. Well, at least I thought I did....

Last night was gonna watch TV with my wife but she got a call from her sister and sometimes they can go on for a while god love 'em so I booted up the XBox to mess about in P5 while I wait for her and the only save available was an hour in. I lost about 2 hours of progress, including a the actual tutorial about how to use the titular persona, introduction to a cat character and antagonist.

Quit, delete game. Wtf is this bullshit, a slow intro is bad enough but I'm not doing it again, without the confidence that my progress will even be saved. I'm just gonna keep staying away from JRPG's I guess, with Scarlet Nexus, Genshin Impact and Immortals Fenyx Rising being the other three such (or inspired heavily by such) I tried out and dropped off.

So I'm gonna dust of the PS5 and believe it or not I wanna start another Elden Ring run, despite all my griping, lol. FromSoft fans are masochists what can I say. Considering a strength build.
Also found a used copy of Returnal that should arrive Monday.
Don't worry, the first villain is the best this game has to offer anyway, and every other dungeon is pretty much identical. You're really not missing much.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Don't worry, the first villain is the best this game has to offer anyway, and every other dungeon is pretty much identical. You're really not missing much.
Yeah the drop off in villain quality is pretty stiff, the first guy they have a clear connection to, is pretty grounded in reality, making him easy to hate, and you get to know the victim before and after you do the heist.

After that most of the villain are kinda cartoonish and just random dude that don't really have any connection to the group, at some point they even resort to running an online pool to find their next target.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well GamePass is coming in hard this month with Pentament, Vampire Surivivors and something that looks cool about Taiwan and it's like an old manga? Nice.

But I also bought Cult of the Lamb. But I also wanted to play the final final quests of the last two Assassins Creed games that were added after I had finished them, but I also lost my Odyssey save because I didn't transfer stuff from PS4 to PS5, so I'm doing a "speed run" of this incredibly long game while listening to music and podcasts.

So it looks like it's gonna be:
Assassins Creed for the next week or so
Cult of the Lamb until Thanksgiving weekend
Start Bayonetta 3 while Thanksgiving travels
GamePass Whatevers in between the holidays
Continue/finish(?) Bayonetta 3 while traveling to and from New Zealand in Dec-Jan
Ragnarok

As you can imagine my Elden Ring replay was abandoned quite enthusiastically

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Genshin Impact just launched its latest major update, so I'm sure everybody can guess what I'm going to be sinking all my spare time into for the next week or so.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It is the 1st of the month. Amazon Luna has Thymesia. Demon Souls rip off. It is OK. IGN gives it a 6/10.

Games for Gold now comes out with only 1 game on the 1st (and a 2nd on the 16th).

This RTS is downloading now.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Genshin Impact just launched its latest major update, so I'm sure everybody can guess what I'm going to be sinking all my spare time into for the next week or so.
Was saving up for dendro archon but I pulled once on last banner cause I needed Beidou C2 and I ended up getting Mona... Probably will cost me my pity.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Was saving up for dendro archon but I pulled once on last banner cause I needed Beidou C2 and I ended up getting Mona... Probably will cost me my pity.
Actually, that gets you closer to what you want, because of how the pity works in detail. Since you pulled Mona, who's on the generic 5* list, your next 5* from the character banner will always be the featured character.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
And speaking of Genshin's 50/50 rule that I just explained to meiam a few posts ago, I already knew that I was getting Nahida because of my accumulated pity, but what I wasn't expecting was to get Jean (a generic) literally immediately after, resetting my banner guarantee. Which also gets Jean up to C3, so one more drop from her makes her *really* start popping off. I don't know how it keeps happening, but whenever I play gacha games or TCGs, my luck on getting rare cards/items/characters is actually kind of scary.

too_lucky.png

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
And speaking of Genshin's 50/50 rule that I just explained to meiam a few posts ago, I already knew that I was getting Nahida because of my accumulated pity, but what I wasn't expecting was to get Jean (a generic) literally immediately after, resetting my banner guarantee. Which also gets Jean up to C3, so one more drop from her makes her *really* start popping off. I don't know how it keeps happening, but whenever I play gacha games or TCGs, my luck on getting rare cards/items/characters is actually kind of scary.

That's nice, I only ever got a double 5* but that was on weapon banner which have higher drop rate. I'm tapped out of primo at 60/90 for me so I might get her by the end of the banner period. In two week of daily + new quests + events + spiral probably give enough for 20-30 pull and if I get really desperate I can buy some with starglitter (or w/e their called) but I was saving them to buy some 4* character.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Finding my groove again in Infamous: Second Son. Gonna stick with it and ignore my other backlog stuff to finish the story at least, but not sure I’ll have the patience to 100% the bottom half of the map like I did the top. The tasks for progression are ultimately too repetitive and often compounded by feeling mundane. Which is a shame because the abilities and general sandbox action and traversal mechanics are fluid and often really cool. I also appreciate how abilities are done in that they don’t all feel fragmented by needing x amount of upgrades.

I think it could’ve been the best game in the series if Sucker Punch found more interesting ways to fold them into the mix instead of feeling like the same checklist for every zone. I mean, the earlier games were repetitive too but now there’s just more of what dropped those titles down a notch. I get it; your main goal is to “reclaim” the city from the D.U.P., but it all just feels a bit too formulaic when every single one of the dozen or so districts have the same bloody tasks.

I’d love for a new Infamous to be announced, and for SP to fine tune and add more substance and uniqueness to the progression elements. They could make missions with challenges that feel unique to every zone, or better yet just scrap the idea of zones completely. It’s kinda ironic how copy/pasted the tasks are in this game to pad out run time, yet somehow it’s apparently still one of the shortest games they’ve made.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I bought Elden Ring. I've been watching a lot of videos on it, and have been admittedly captivated, though not enough to actually buy it to play it... until last night, after enough vodka. Woke up this morning to find my Xbox on, and apparently, drunken me bought Elden Ring. Oh well, off to the slaughter...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I bought Elden Ring. I've been watching a lot of videos on it, and have been admittedly captivated, though not enough to actually buy it to play it... until last night, after enough vodka. Woke up this morning to find my Xbox on, and apparently, drunken me bought Elden Ring. Oh well, off to the slaughter...
Funnily enough that’s not far off from the setup for Bloodborne. Weird.

Anyways do you really not remember buying it? I’d think it also pretty funny if you wound up making some completely fucked up character in the creator screen and were like, “WTF!?”

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Funnily enough that’s not far off from the setup for Bloodborne. Weird.

Anyways do you really not remember buying it? I’d think it also pretty funny if you wound up making some completely fucked up character in the creator screen and were like, “WTF!?”
I remember looking to see if it was available for download just to see if they were still charging full retail for it; I don't recall dismissing my generally strict "physical copies only" policy and pulling the trigger to actually buy it.

Fortunately, I didn't get as far as character creation last night as it was late and the 30GB download probably took a few hours (plus I was just inebriated enough to have probably been unable to even SAY "character creation,") but I did start it today. FROM and their typical ambiguity, I have no idea what character I created as none of the non-aesthetic decision were even remotely clear on what exactly I was choosing. I went with a Samurai (because it starts with the Uchigatana, my fav weapon from Dark Souls) and chose the Fanged Imp Ashes as my starting gift; haven't figured out how to use the latter yet.

But in the minimal progress I've made thus far, it's pretty much what I feared: really aggressive enemies with very long, stamina-draining combos. Outside of the tutorial boss, I fought some Beastman mini-boss in a cave not far from where I entered Limgrave, and shit, took me 6 tries because it was really difficult to recognize which of his half dozen combos he was winding up each attempt. And I see what some of the boss critique videos I've watched were saying; not only were the combos long, some of them have "dramatic pauses" in the middle which fake the player into thinking they're done when in fact, the boss is winding up a devastating haymaker. Really not looking forward to my first proper boss...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I remember looking to see if it was available for download just to see if they were still charging full retail for it; I don't recall dismissing my generally strict "physical copies only" policy and pulling the trigger to actually buy it.

Fortunately, I didn't get as far as character creation last night as it was late and the 30GB download probably took a few hours (plus I was just inebriated enough to have probably been unable to even SAY "character creation,") but I did start it today. FROM and their typical ambiguity, I have no idea what character I created as none of the non-aesthetic decision were even remotely clear on what exactly I was choosing. I went with a Samurai (because it starts with the Uchigatana, my fav weapon from Dark Souls) and chose the Fanged Imp Ashes as my starting gift; haven't figured out how to use the latter yet.

But in the minimal progress I've made thus far, it's pretty much what I feared: really aggressive enemies with very long, stamina-draining combos. Outside of the tutorial boss, I fought some Beastman mini-boss in a cave not far from where I entered Limgrave, and shit, took me 6 tries because it was really difficult to recognize which of his half dozen combos he was winding up each attempt. And I see what some of the boss critique videos I've watched were saying; not only were the combos long, some of them have "dramatic pauses" in the middle which fake the player into thinking they're done when in fact, the boss is winding up a devastating haymaker. Really not looking forward to my first proper boss...
The main difference between ER and Souls games is that the former has a lot more freedom to just go off and try something/somewhere else vs the latter, which typically had at most a couple paths (basically “hard” and “normal”). If there’s a silver lining, it would be there’s enough out there where you should be able to make some good gains without having to hit that brick wall nearly as much. The downside of course is it typically makes for a longer game, depending on how much one might’ve struggled otherwise.

Also when you bring up the inventory menu If you hit LB once it’ll bring you to an info page for various things, which is pretty generous by FROM standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The main difference between ER and Souls games is that the former has a lot more freedom to just go off and try something/somewhere else vs the latter, which typically had at most a couple paths (basically “hard” and “normal”). If there’s a silver lining, it would be there’s enough out there where you should be able to make some good gains without having to hit that brick wall nearly as much. The downside of course is it typically makes for a longer game, depending on how much one might’ve struggled otherwise.

Also when you bring up the inventory menu If you hit LB once it’ll bring you to an info page for various things, which is pretty generous by FROM standards.
Thanks, that tip[ guide will come in handy. That third bullet under "General Tips" applies to me. I don't expect to make rapid progress, but the idea of open exploration in a massive Souls-like game really appeals to me. I'll probably spend 30-40 hours running around without crossing another fog gate! I'm completely of the camp that I'd rather be over-leveled when it comes time to actually progress. Born coward? This guy.