General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

So IGN asked Yoshi-P why FF16 was so full of white people.....err I mean they asked, "IGN: In regards to diversity in the game, can we expect to see Black characters in Final Fantasy XVI, or people of color (non-white characters) in general? To clarify a bit more, there’s been discussion around the trailers to date featuring mostly white characters, and I wanted to get clarity on whether we can expect the final game to be more diverse. "

Yoshi-P goes on to give a long answer that basically boils down to, "we didn't want to. And even if we did it still would have upset people for not being good enough."

And no people are upset.

Frankly I think IGN was fucking stupid for asking this question in the first place because there isn't any possible answer that Yoshi could have given that would have satisfied people. And honestly I really really wish people would stop trying to inject their ideologies into shit where it makes no sense. It's a Japanese game made by a Japanese team who made the game they had envisioned? How you gonna get mad at Japan for not thinking about PoC's when Japan as an entire nation is 98.5% japanese, which basically means there are 14 total PoC's in Japan entirely. What makes you think they would even consider that in their art on a regular basis?

So what they add 4 PoC's to the game and then get accused of tokenism?

And even when Japan makes a PoC character people fucking hate them as stereotypes because Japan only knows people from television for the most part. What the fuck are they supposed to do. It would be like asking BET why they don't broadcast the Brady Bunch. It just makes no sense.

I just upset that they would even put Yoshi in that position when you know whatever answer there was, wasn't gonna work for people.

Yoshi-P should have just said, "Yes there are a bunch of people like that in the game, just nothing shown in trailers." Just straight-up lie to them, fuck it.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

So IGN asked Yoshi-P why FF16 was so full of white people.....err I mean they asked, "IGN: In regards to diversity in the game, can we expect to see Black characters in Final Fantasy XVI, or people of color (non-white characters) in general? To clarify a bit more, there’s been discussion around the trailers to date featuring mostly white characters, and I wanted to get clarity on whether we can expect the final game to be more diverse. "

Yoshi-P goes on to give a long answer that basically boils down to, "we didn't want to. And even if we did it still would have upset people for not being good enough."

And no people are upset.

Frankly I think IGN was fucking stupid for asking this question in the first place because there isn't any possible answer that Yoshi could have given that would have satisfied people. And honestly I really really wish people would stop trying to inject their ideologies into shit where it makes no sense. It's a Japanese game made by a Japanese team who made the game they had envisioned? How you gonna get mad at Japan for not thinking about PoC's when Japan as an entire nation is 98.5% japanese, which basically means there are 14 total PoC's in Japan entirely. What makes you think they would even consider that in their art on a regular basis?

And even when Japan makes a PoC character people fucking hate them as stereotypes because Japan only knows people from television for the most part. What the fuck are they supposed to do. It would be like asking BET why they don't broadcast the Brady Bunch. It just makes no sense.

I just upset that they would even put Yoshi in that position when you know whatever answer there was, wasn't gonna work for people.

Yoshi-P should have just said, "Yes there are a bunch of people like that in the game, just nothing shown in trailers." Just straight-up lie to them, fuck it.
I think his answer was just overly diplomatic and a simple answer along what you said, ie "its not a priority and we'd probably get criticized for it anyway" would have been much better than his attempt at rationalizing it with history in a game where there's bunny people. I shudder to think how much crap square would have gotten if FF7 was release today about Barret "FF7 has only one black character and he's a terrorist" or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Frankly I think IGN was fucking stupid for asking this question in the first place because there isn't any possible answer that Yoshi could have given that would have satisfied people. And honestly I really really wish people would stop trying to inject their ideologies into shit where it makes no sense. It's a Japanese game made by a Japanese team who made the game they had envisioned?
IGN never learns a goddamn thing. They always have to be in the right. They've been carrying that attitude since 2006. Other than the fighting game guy that is actually great at his job, I still despise the review site as a whole.

EDIT: My mistake, the fighting game guy I am referring to works for Polygon.

What makes you think they would even consider that in their art on a regular basis?
I have noticed something, and it has been going on for years now in anime. While it can still happen, most people in anime that are black (and not just ambiguously brown nor gyaru) or non-Asian dark-skinned look like and act like actual people, and not just stereotypes. It helps that most anime is now made with an international market in mind. So, trends change and grow. Also, Capcom pretty much made a mission statement about how they didn't wanna make the same mistakes made during SFII/Alpha's (cultural and/or racial stereotypes) entire run. Hence, we have characters like Kimberly, and I am happy they made a fun character, while being considerate. Though Capcom already had fixed issues like this with SFIII's run. Though III had a tepid and hatred reception and bombed due to the dropping of most characters from II or Alpha.

A good number of Japanese developers ain't afraid to have color in their cast, depending on the setting. Especially if we're talking about fighting game developers. With that said, I will support artistic integrity and intent, but within limits and standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

And no people are upset.

Welp, I'm sure the same 20 keyboard warriors on twitter will definitely get this game cancelled! It's not like the game is anticipated across the world!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Welp, I'm sure the same 20 keyboard warriors on twitter will definitely get this game cancelled! It's not like the game is anticipated across the world!
They are certainly trying, but thanks to Mr. Musk people are calling them out on their stupidity and they cant handle it. Because i dunno if you have heard the news, but twitter is omega racist now.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...wait, are we really going "well they're Japanese, they don't know about race" like it's 1982 and there aren't *lots* of examples of black/brown/foreign people in Japanese media that people love the shit out of?

Maybe don't bring that weak sauce "but it's like old europe" argument when A) if you did any research on Europe you'd know that was bullshit to begin with and B) you're having crystal powered kaiju fights

I'd've been fine with "we didn't really think about it" honestly. "Wanted to be horny" is always a better answer than "she breathes through her skin"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
...wait, are we really going "well they're Japanese, they don't know about race" like it's 1982 and there aren't *lots* of examples of black/brown/foreign people in Japanese media that people love the shit out of?

Maybe don't bring that weak sauce "but it's like old europe" argument when A) if you did any research on Europe you'd know that was bullshit to begin with and B) you're having crystal powered kaiju fights
Maybe dont ask the question in the first place since it isnt relevant to the game in the first place. What did they do, let Uncle Rodger interview him?

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
With that said, I will support artistic integrity and intent, but within limits and standards.
I'm kinda willing to give developers from basically homogenous societies some slack seeing as developers from multi-racial societies still have a long way to go. Doesn't seem all that long ago people would've been more than justified why most black characters appeared in sport or crime games... oh wait, it wasn't that long ago, it was today.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I'd've been fine with "we didn't really think about it" honestly. "Wanted to be horny" is always a better answer than "she breathes through her skin"
The thing there is, it’s pretty clear Kojima had that idea from the beginning and legit thought it would be an effective morality rug pull of sorts. It was baked so deep into the story that there’s no way he shoehorned it in and pulled that excuse out of his ass on a reactionary basis. One could blame cultural dissonance more than anything, if they’re even looking to blame something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The thing there is, it’s pretty clear Kojima had that idea from the beginning and legit thought it would be an effective morality rug pull of sorts. It was baked so deep into the story that there’s no way he shoehorned it in and pulled that excuse out of his ass on a reactionary basis. One could blame cultural dissonance more than anything, if they’re even looking to blame something.
Just because they believe the stupid thing doesn't make it less stupid. Anything I have to say past that gets into Hot Take territory

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
They should build off of the foundation set by Sifu, and go from there with the added gunplay and theatrics.

Also, congrats Santa Monica Studio, even though you already had my preorder on this one regardless of the shallow review scoring system. Also I love ER but it’s still a bit overrated in terms of technical design compared to even GoW: 2018. Hopefully FROM is done milking that engine and gameplay mechanics.

Reactions: BrawlMan