Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And let's not forget Ben Affleck as both Daredevil and Batman. As much as some would like to forget both.
Affleck didn't do a bad job with either. I do prefer Daredevil in this case, but you have to be watching the Director's cut, and not the butchered Theatrical cut. Charlie Cox is still best Daredevil and Matt Murdock, but Affleck did Matt Murdock and Daredevil justice.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'll be honest this take is probably stone cold, and I suspect the actor himself would vehemently disagree, but I think Peter Capaldi's Doctor would have been way better if he'd been like a PG-13 version of Capaldi's previous character, Malcolm Tucker.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Absolutely bizarre how good the actual real suits Maguire and Garfield are wearing look when Holland's prancing around in clearly CGI threads. And I don't mean individually either, I'm talking about No Way Home. Which is really annoying when generally, the designs of MCU Spider-man's suits look great.

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Absolutely bizarre how good the actual real suits Maguire and Garfield are wearing look when Holland's prancing around in clearly CGI threads. And I don't mean individually either, I'm talking about No Way Home. Which is really annoying when generally, the designs of MCU Spider-man's suits look great.
Physical and practical effects/props will always look better than CGI. I don’t know exactly why but plain CGI just looks off or slightly wrong. It might be that the colors or lighting don’t work the same as physical assets or they don’t move the right way, it could even be extremely subtle things that we only pick up subconsciously.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Physical and practical effects/props will always look better than CGI. I don’t know exactly why but plain CGI just looks off or slightly wrong. It might be that the colors or lighting don’t work the same as physical assets or they don’t move the right way, it could even be extremely subtle things that we only pick up subconsciously.
Cgi has come a long way, and I'm willing to bet you've seen movies that use it extensively and you never noticed, mostly because it's stuff in the background or its flaws are cleverly hidden through lighting or editing. But you are also right that a lot of cgi work leaves a lot to be desired, especially anything involving human beings, because we've all basically spent a lifetime training our brains to recognize the way humans look and move, so anytime a CGI human deviates from that we immediately get uncanny valley effect.

And when creating something like, you can it cheap, fast or good, but you can only ever pick two of those, one of which is almost always going to be cheap. Unfortunately, there is more demands for cgi effects work than there are effects studios to do it, meaning fast is usually the second choice, while good tends to get the shaft.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
And when creating something like, you can it cheap, fast or good, but you can only ever pick two of those, one of which is almost always going to be cheap. Unfortunately, there is more demands for cgi effects work than there are effects studios to do it, meaning fast is usually the second choice, while good tends to get the shaft.
The decider for those choices basically comes down to Render Time. The more detailed/realistic you want something to look the more processing it takes (obviously), which either means longer render times per frame or throwing a fuckton more processing power at the job (the reason Render Farms are thing) which costs more money.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
On the flip side I’d hate to see how Avatar or the upcoming sequel would look relying on practical effects. There are exceptions to everything, and suspension of disbelief is usually a prerequisite for fantasy-based movies so I guess I chalk up using CGI as part of that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't have nearly enough context or cultural history to know if this is a hot take or not, but it's definitely interesting

That would explain why the black people I follow on social media had such a different reaction to Black Panther than the other nerds I follow

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That would explain why the black people I follow on social media had such a different reaction to Black Panther than the other nerds I follow.
This a long one I heard about; will check out later. The problem is a lot non-black/African nerds & "nerds" assume they know the historical context, pretend they know, or project/force their own views into the movie without any consideration except for themselves or people within their own social group and status. I didn't bother with every reviewer for this movie, cuz they weren't worth the effort or the attention. Here's a good one from DT.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I don't have nearly enough context or cultural history to know if this is a hot take or not, but it's definitely interesting

That would explain why the black people I follow on social media had such a different reaction to Black Panther than the other nerds I follow
Didn't know anyone else here watched his stuff! Informative lovely guy!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Godfather Part 3 has a good premise but the execution is mostly mediocre and it feels overlong. For those that don't know, Micheal Corleone has decided to atone for his life of crime and brother murdering by getting out of the mob and getting cosy with the Catholic Church, only to find out the Vatican Bank is kind of fucking corrupt and he's just making new enemies in doing so. And considering the number of skeevy controversies the Church and the Vatican bank have been associated with this is a damn interesting idea, but it feels like a slog and the good direction from the previous two films don't feel like it's there anymore. Also Pacino wasn't really on top of his game like he was in the previous two films.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fuck off Tarantino. He has one super minor point, but you're just another old man director bitching, because you or the specific type of movies you only like are no longer in the spotlight.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fuck off Tarantino. He has one super minor point, but you're just another old man director bitching, because you or the specific type of movies you only like are no longer in the spotlight.
Or he's in the spotlight, but for the wrong reasons. But yeah, criticising those more successful, whether the criticism is right or wrong, unfortunately remains a useful way to remain relevant.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Rewinding back a bit: Tarantino's take is a bit less hot, when you consider he repeated almost word for word what Anthony Mackie has already said 5 years ago.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I honestly don’t see wtf the big deal is over this font, or why it ever caused such a stupid stir in the first place. It's not like the title is going to be written in Na’vi anyways, so for English it’s perfectly fitting for the fictional theme of AVATAR regardless of it being borrowed or lifted.

Bored, self-righteous graphic artists needed something else to ***** and moan about I guess.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I know Sci-fi really loves the ideas of jails with electronic security but have the writers ever considered the fact that the key flaw in all of these schemes are that a power failure always means escaped prisoners? Star Trek is particularly bad about this because their brig cells always seem to be an energy shield which then goes offline anytime there's a power failure but the Prison Arc of Andor reminded me of this trope. To be fair, the prison in Andor made a bit more sense because the entire facility has a built in Hydroelectric plant so hypothetically it should never lose power....and it's also in the middle of a lake with no method to shore other then swimming after a long jump. The biggest issue with that prison was that the prisoner to guard ratio was very large(like 60 or so guards to 5000 prisoners) and the guards were incredibly complacent because of the electronic floors so when a prison break did occur, they had no idea how to handle it. The most they can seem to muster is a couple guards with blasters shooting at the prisoners(who are throwing wrenches and metal tools at them) and "We have a situation here" when calling for help. Not "We have a prison riot. Send help now!", no "We have a situation".

But you know what also works better than electronic defenses? ACTUAL TANGIBLE DOORS! Doors that work by the virtue of existing even when the power is out. Even with an electronic door lock, emergency generators should be more than adequate to keep those operational when main power inevitably goes offline(and the main power always goes offline when drama requires).

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, ones with forcefields instead of doors? At first I thought you mean ones with doors with electronic locks which unlock themselves if the power fails, which is more than a little stupid.

In one episode of Voyager they set up proper, solid cells in a cargo bay, but they also could have decompressed the bay as well, so prisoners can't get out and breathe.

Alternatively, if you are going to forcefield route, you can also have forcefields in the ceiling using the same power, so they fail when the doors do. These ones are holding back the killer bees or the lava or some other prisoner killing thing.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Oh, ones with forcefields instead of doors? At first I thought you mean ones with doors with electronic locks which unlock themselves if the power fails, which is more than a little stupid.

In one episode of Voyager they set up proper, solid cells in a cargo bay, but they also could have decompressed the bay as well, so prisoners can't get out and breathe.

Alternatively, if you are going to forcefield route, you can also have forcefields in the ceiling using the same power, so they fail when the doors do. These ones are holding back the killer bees or the lava or some other prisoner killing thing.
I think there was an ep of voyager with a space prison where there was one entrance and a ship would show up, open the hatch, dump the prisoners down a chute and leave. No force fields or bars but nowhere to go but space and the hatch at the top of the chute would only open when someone new was being dropped off.

Presumably it was a life sentence sort of thing so they would never expect to pick anyone up.