Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well. Fortunately, not kidneys completely crapping out, as feared. Just some bleeding cysts. Nothing dramatic, just painful cuz the swelling kinda smooshing other organs.
That's...well, I won't say "good", but "comparatively good" perhaps?

Internal bleeding always has that "oh no!" factor, in a way that external injuries tend not to.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Everything has a cost. You don't want to risk getting a hacked, do you?

Also, we still technically don't have hoverboards.
Would you trust the public with them?

As an aside, they built hovercars (or at least airgeeps, which are close enough) in the 50s for the US army, but they didn't catch on and got replaced with helicopters.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Would you trust the public with them?

As an aside, they built hovercars (or at least airgeeps, which are close enough) in the 50s for the US army, but they didn't catch on and got replaced with helicopters.

There's a lot of wierd ideas out there that never got any real traction. It's one of my favorite bits of military history are these wierd dead ends.

Such as the Panzer U-boat or Submarine tank.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"I had to do/eat x and it never did me any harm."​
(An unharmed individual inevitably supporting some form of child cruelty)​
An argument I've had to deploy more time than I should ever have had to:

"Spank that kid. I got spanked when I was a kid and I turned out okay."
"You're advocating for a child to be physically beaten, so no, you didn't turn out okay."

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
An argument I've had to deploy more time than I should ever have had to:

"Spank that kid. I got spanked when I was a kid and I turned out okay."
"You're advocating for a child to be physically beaten, so no, you didn't turn out okay."
Not to mention hitting someone who can't fight back is both bullying and assault and the fact some people are proud of that is just messed up. I guarantee if that child tried to hit back they'd be punished even harder.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh boy, have I got something to complain about today. So in light of the computer issues I've been having lately, I decided to take advantage of some Black Friday deals. Specifically, I ordered this thing off of Best Buy, and waited a week and a half for it to arrive at the store. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I got home that what had been delivered was actually this... thing which was literally half the price I paid and was in no way comparable. (Nine out of five computer experts will agree that a GTX1060 is not quite the same as a GTX3080.)

I had to bring it back for a refund, and of course now they don't have any more of the model I wanted in stock, so here I am still stuck with this malfunctioning computer.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh boy, have I got something to complain about today. So in light of the computer issues I've been having lately, I decided to take advantage of some Black Friday deals. Specifically, I ordered this thing off of Best Buy, and waited a week and a half for it to arrive at the store. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I got home that what had been delivered was actually this... thing which was literally half the price I paid and was in no way comparable. (Nine out of five computer experts will agree that a GTX1060 is not quite the same as a GTX3080.)

I had to bring it back for a refund, and of course now they don't have any more of the model I wanted in stock, so here I am still stuck with this malfunctioning computer.
Well a GTX1660 is better than a 1060 but holy fucking Christ I would be mad as shit at this level of Fuck Up. Like I’d be arguing to keep BOTH computers as compensation for your lost time.

Also this is why if you can avoid it, you never buy a full system online from a big box store. Go in and make sure you’re getting your chosen product.

But yeah, these clowns screwed you hard and you’re entirely justified putting the screws on them in response.

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I occasionally use YouTube on my company laptop, and so the video suggestions are generally not catered to my interests like on my personal devices. Which means I see quite a lot of the ilk of Mr Beast. From the thumbnails and captions alone, my disgust is immediate and immeasurable.

Sometimes the algorithms are so damn good at keeping you in your bubble, you forget that the internet is chock full of awful bullshit.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've been working remotely since 2020. I've not seen a co-worker in person since then. Today, I got an email that one of the people who reports to the same boss I do has decided to organize a post-holiday gathering in January at a restaurant about 30 miles away from me. I'm already planning my last-minute excuse not to go. I'm not driving 30 miles to see people I've been perfectly happy not seeing in two years for a social event where I can't actually enjoy myself. I really hate this kind of corporate kiss-assery.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"My dog has a flat tire and I have to take my car to the vet. Plus I was halfway there and I realized I left an oven in my cake."
Keeping that one in my pocket. Beats faking my own death which was my first idea.

I'm of the firm belief that I don't need to like you or have any form of personal relationship with you to work with you, though the corporate mentality seems to be "we all have to pretend to be friends," and that just doesn't fly with me, especially when organized social gatherings are little more than people putting on airs and staying in their respective lanes of decorum for the sake of the job they hold. My spark plugs and tail pipe have never been out for drinks together, and my car runs just fine; I'd like to think the same applies to people assigned tasks by a capitalist overlord who would replace any one of us in an instant for more money.

Reactions: Dalisclock

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've been working remotely since 2020. I've not seen a co-worker in person since then. Today, I got an email that one of the people who reports to the same boss I do has decided to organize a post-holiday gathering in January at a restaurant about 30 miles away from me. I'm already planning my last-minute excuse not to go. I'm not driving 30 miles to see people I've been perfectly happy not seeing in two years for a social event where I can't actually enjoy myself. I really hate this kind of corporate kiss-assery.
If you get called on your failure to go:

1670472939185.png

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I got sick on vacation.

Upside, I didn't have any symptoms until I got back so I got to enjoy my vacation. Downside, the symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks, this is the sickest I've been in years. I've already taken 3 days off work and it feels like I haven't improved at all.

I'm a little miffed that none of the friends I vacationed with got sick, just me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Turns out I have COVID.

Managed to dodge it for 2 years prior to this, so I guess that's something. Basically feels like a bad flu.

It makes sense why I'm the only one that got sick, the rest of my friends have already had it.