Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If whether or not it actually happened is irrelevant to if it's fact if enough people are talking about it, then it just comes down to arguing what the bar for "enough people" is.
The point in both cases here is to make a criticism, so the pertinent question is really whether the criticism is valid. It's possible to make a valid and important criticism while being factually incorrect.

The reason it doesn't really matter whether there is a specific 10 year old out there who was or was not denied an abortion is that that the law being criticized would, in fact, make it extremely difficult for such a child to get an abortion. There are going to be countless people, including children, who suffer because of a lack of access to abortion services due to that piece of legislation.

Pointing to a single highly-publicized but false instance of a child being denied an abortion and then claiming that this evidenced the law in question was harmless or that children were not being denied abortions would be just as false. The criticism is valid whether or not the facts are correct.

The people actually passing or celebrating abortion bans don't actually care about this shit. They believe it's a good thing if a sexually abused child is denied an abortion. What they don't like is people being encouraged to sympathize with someone who might need an abortion, because it's easier to sell their beliefs to people who aren't as fanatical as they are if those people can be persuaded to view those seeking abortions as bad and selfish and promiscuous. The story must be dismissed as false not because it would be bad if it were true, but because it might look bad if it were true.

This "64 genders" thing doesn't actually have a factual component. It doesn't even represent anyone's real beliefs. Most people with a decent amount of education in this topic could probably argue that there are an arbitrary number of genders, but that argument has little purpose outside of an rhetorical exercise and, if you're capable of making it, you're already capable of understanding why the number isn't 64 (or indeed, any specific number). The "[insert number] genders" talking point isn't actually from any kind of academic or "social justice" discourse, it's just a bad right-wing meme from the tumblr era which, at this point, is just a boomer joke, and the most inexplicable thing about this case is how few people seem to have clocked that it's a boomer joke.

By the way, this school was also clearly teaching children to identify as attack helicopters. Is that true? I guess it doesn't really matter. But I bet when these kids went to the school library they were trying to swipe right on the books. Seriously if you want to be a dude with no balls you should try getting married. Why aren't M&Ms sexually attractive to me any more?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A very vocal minority complaining and getting their way doesn't mean the "people" care. People didn't care about the name of monkeypox, yet it got renamed to mpox for idiotic reasons.
I mean, enough people cared to officially change government language and documentation. That's not insignificant. And it's a damn sight more significant than the number of people like you who don't like the change.

I'd be willing to wager the vast majority of people are in the "yeah, sure, whatever" camp, who seem to "not care" in a vastly different way than you "don't care"
Why? Words have more than one meaning. Many words can be used derogatory and not derogatory. Do we have to remove all words that have a derogatory meaning? Do we have to edit the movie Tron and rename the Master Control Program to something else? Do we have to rename monkeys to something else because it can be used by racists?
The Master Control Program being a parasitic, oppressive, murdering bad guy kinda makes the name appropriate

Because if you don't then DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS!!!!!
Are we supposed to march in lock step with the Washington Post or not. Getting really mixed messages

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Being cordial and respectful to people is about intent and not use of words. Someone can be friendly and even warm using a racist term while another could be obviously racist to someone not using any racial words. It's not the words that's the problem. The logic of the argument of why "American" shouldn't be used makes no sense because people from Mexico or Chile or Paraguay wouldn't actually want to be called Americans.
This is a lot of words ot say that you're very offended language isn't staying the same way forever.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Are we supposed to march in lock step with the Washington Post or not. Getting really mixed messages
Only if WaPo has published it as a youtube video. Everyone knows you can't lie on the internet in video format.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Only if WaPo has published it as a youtube video. Everyone knows you can't lie on the internet in video format.
All you gotta say is that your info goes against "the official narrative" and it'll be lapped up, nevermind that there's at least like 3 different "official narratives" at any one time, depending on where you look. They've tested this on conspiracy theorists before, where they'll believe multiple conflicting polar opposite claims as long as those are presented as "against the official narrative."

Reactions: Kwak and Buyetyen

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
All you gotta say is that your info goes against "the official narrative" and it'll be lapped up, nevermind that there's at least like 3 different "official narratives" at any one time, depending on where you look. They've tested this on conspiracy theorists before, where they'll believe multiple conflicting polar opposite claims as long as those are presented as "against the official narrative."
A great example is COVID-19 being simultaneously a "made up" disease/not-that-serious-flu-equivalent, a Chinese bioweapon meant to drive depopulation, and a WEF/WHO/UN/Democrat plot to forever control the world through pandemic lockdowns and vaccines.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A great example is COVID-19 being simultaneously a "made up" disease/not-that-serious-flu-equivalent, a Chinese bioweapon meant to drive depopulation, and a WEF/WHO/UN/Democrat plot to forever control the world through pandemic lockdowns and vaccines.
I swear, the "covid is just a heavy cold that was developed by the Chinese as a bio weapon to destroy the west and we should take zero precautions to stop it" argument was the weirdest part of 2020

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I swear, the "covid is just a heavy cold that was developed by the Chinese as a bio weapon to destroy the west and we should take zero precautions to stop it" argument was the weirdest part of 2020
No, the weirdest part of 2020 was watching a man die on video at the hands of police and people either saying he deserved it or wondering why people were angry about it...

The very same people who saw 3 thousands people die in two towers 20 years ago and thought they should invade whole ass countries as revenge

Reactions: Kwak and Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No, the weirdest part of 2020 was watching a man die on video at the hands of police and people either saying he deserved it or wondering why people were angry about it...

The very same people who saw 3 thousands people die in two towers 20 years ago and thought they should invade whole ass countries as revenge
You know, somehow my brain figured those happened in different years. Way too much going on at any one time

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I mean, enough people cared to officially change government language and documentation. That's not insignificant. And it's a damn sight more significant than the number of people like you who don't like the change.

I'd be willing to wager the vast majority of people are in the "yeah, sure, whatever" camp, who seem to "not care" in a vastly different way than you "don't care"
The Master Control Program being a parasitic, oppressive, murdering bad guy kinda makes the name appropriate

I'm pretty sure most people didn't even know monkeypox was changed to mpox and if you told most, they'd probably laugh and make like a Hanson reference or something.

But the word "master" might trigger someone....

It was a joke because their slogan is so stupid.

Ironic that China taking literally all the possible covid precautions is the thing causing them tons of problems today.

And WaPo pushing the WMD narrative back then. Thank god for them though because without them DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS!!!

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
But the word "master" might trigger someone....
I'm reminded of an anecdote. When Lawrence O'Donnell first got his show on MSNBC, he interviewed Michael Steele. To intro the interview, he made an off-hand comment about trying to balance the demands of the party with the donor class, which Lawrence referred to as "corporate masters." The day after the interview aired, Michael called Lawrence to tell him that the word "master" has a much different context to black people. Michael Steele, for those unaware, is black. Lawerence apologized personally and publicly. What did it cost him to apologize? Nothing.

Just saying.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm reminded of an anecdote. When Lawrence O'Donnell first got his show on MSNBC, he interviewed Michael Steele. To intro the interview, he made an off-hand comment about trying to balance the demands of the party with the donor class, which Lawrence referred to as "corporate masters." The day after the interview aired, Michael called Lawrence to tell him that the word "master" has a much different context to black people. Michael Steele, for those unaware, is black. Lawerence apologized personally and publicly. What did it cost him to apologize? Nothing.

Just saying.
And what does it cost you to not be triggered or offended? Nothing.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
And what does it cost you to not be triggered or offended? Nothing.
This you getting triggered and/or offended over the term "pregnant people"?

You can see how left leaning NPR is using the dumbest term ever "pregnant people".
The term pregnant people is all about the culture war. I didn't realize calling women women was not calling them people... nor has there ever been a pregnant person that wasn't a woman.
Or how about this one where you get triggered and/or offended over people saying "mpox" instead of "monkeypox"?

I'm pretty sure most people didn't even know monkeypox was changed to mpox and if you told most, they'd probably laugh and make like a Hanson reference or something.
Oh, or what about this one where you get triggered and/or offended over the idea of pronouns?

The whole culture war in the US is so stupid and other countries don't care about this bullshit, thus they have time to actually discuss, you know, important things.
The thread is about woke culture (along with the video I linked), not culture in general... Nobody else in the world cares about pronouns and that kinda bullshit.
The funniest part to me is how all of these examples are from this thread alone and were made within the past month. I'm sure going back further or expanding to other threads would lead to even more juicy tidbits, but the cat is staring at me because he wants to play in the sink again....

As others have said before, you don't seem to understand how we can all look back at exactly what you've said and how hypocritical your posts are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This you getting triggered and/or offended over the term "pregnant people"?

Or how about this one where you get triggered and/or offended over people saying "mpox" instead of "monkeypox"?

Oh, or what about this one where you get triggered and/or offended over the idea of pronouns?

The funniest part to me is how all of these examples are from this thread alone and were made within the past month. I'm sure going back further or expanding to other threads would lead to even more juicy tidbits, but the cat is staring at me because he wants to play in the sink again....

As others have said before, you don't seem to understand how we can all look back at exactly what you've said and how hypocritical your posts are.
I'm sympathetic to the notion of the symmetry of Group A being offended, then Group B being offended that Group A is offended, then Group A is offended that Group B is offended that they were offended, but a lot of this nonsense doesn't operate in a vacuum.

Stanford can waste time (years, apparently) and money on language guidelines and we can have a good laugh, it becomes less funny when it gets out. Language absolutely evolves over time, forcing language to change has never worked well, anywhere (in fact, I think there was a well-selling book written on it).

It's fun to shake our heads at pronouns until we're forced to start using them.

Or, to cite another example:

TL, DR, some students got "offended" by the depiction of Muhamad (in other words, a Tuesday), and a professor is fired for it (there's countless other examples of similar incidences). So, yes, I guess I could say I'm offended that an obstensibly secular institution is enforcing blasphamy laws in all but name, that these bullies got away with it, and we get such bangers like “Hamline teaches us it doesn’t matter the intent, the impact is what matters."

Try apply that logic to the legal system. Or preferably, don't.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

This is the most dystopian financial policy I can think of. In this capitalist economy, your spending is private. I don't complain when someone buys something I find weird, and they don't complain when I purchase a weird Skyrim Patreon modder sub. Yet treasury secretary Yellen, and Jerome Powell who are both democrats, and republicans respectively both love this idea. Let's make a CBDC or central bank digital currency. Now, what's the problem... I don't like cash, and most transactions are done digitally. Well, this would lead the way to a programmable currency. Now, why is that bad?

They could make your money expire, force you to buy something, or lose cash, your employer could pay you more in a currency with an expiration date. They say it's both to counter China with its digital yuan(which sees low usage) and to stop stable coins which are crypto that is 1 dollar of USD for 1 dollar in a stablecoin. (if you can find an exchange that isn't overleveraged/ trying to scam you).

Where is the accountability for bad monetary/money printing policy because of J Powell, and Yellen we had billionaires use cheap money to buy up homes to rent them since everyone needs a home(Black Rock for example where Biden gets many of his policy guys from), why should I trust them with my money? They all get dividends from stocks and ETFs like the S&P500, yet regular people don't for most of our income. Our money comes from our ability to save and get a better job. They have always had a carrot policy where you can get a tax break for buying solar panels or electric vehicles/EVs, they will soon have the stick policy of saying in a recession you either lose it or use it.

This is going to increase stablecoin usage, if my employer pays me 60K in real money or 80K in expiring money, or a mix of both, I am taking the expiring money and putting it in ETFs(they want you to lol), or a USD Coin.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And WaPo pushing the WMD narrative back then. Thank god for them though because without them DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS!!!
WaPo points out that it did the wrong thing back then... guess what that makes them? Probably the best journalist in the business because most journalist haven't even recognized that they did ANYTHING wrong. (Unfortunately, the bar is just that low for journalism but if you're going to let Fox, CNN and Rueters lead the way, you're always going to be misinformed)

You could learn a thing or two from them. You were clearly wrong about the flu killing more than Covid-19. It wasn't even close, Covid won 7 times over. Where is your introspection piece about how you gave out wrong information? Could you be at least as honest as WaPo?

I don't know why you would think that a person/institution admitting they were wrong is something to hate. As long as they mean it and rectify it, I'd call that progress. I'd prefer to spend my time criticizing peope/institutions who are STILL giving out incorrect information. Because that's where most journalists are

Reactions: Buyetyen