Funny Events of the "Woke" world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Is that how you see influenza? Worth ignoring, barely noticed?

It continues to kill thousands every year. It puts healthcare systems the world over under great strain every winter.
Influenza is special. Influenza is orders of magnitude more significant than covid.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Obviously neither of us knows the future, but I would bet against this. I think there are parts of the world that have already comfortably reached the endemic stage, and as soon as we stop obsessively measuring the virus, we'll stop noticing it. People will just say "oh, I feel sick" like they used to, and move on with their lives, without caring whether its coronavirus or rhinovirus or enterovirus or whatever. I think the entire world will reach that point within a decade of the virus' existence. Certainly, that's an educated guess at best, but we'll see.
Firstly, we're already at the stage where covid is accepted as endemic. Most countries don't measure it unusually heavily anymore, and it has already been placed in the same sort of level of influenza: but bear in mind that influenza is a well monitored illness. The bottom line is that if covid takes a human and economic toll similar to influenza, it will have about the same prominence in media and national consciousness. So like influenza, we'll get occasional headlines and warnings about a likely surge, and so on.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Influenza is special. Influenza is orders of magnitude more significant than covid.
So... given that Covid-19 mutates more quickly, is just as transmissible and has a greater death toll over the time period of its existence, what exactly is leading you to conclude it will just fade to irrelevance in a way that influenza didn't?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Firstly, we're already at the stage where covid is accepted as endemic. Most countries don't measure it unusually heavily anymore, and it has already been placed in the same sort of level of influenza: but bear in mind that influenza is a well monitored illness. The bottom line is that if covid takes a human and economic toll similar to influenza, it will have about the same prominence in media and national consciousness. So like influenza, we'll get occasional headlines and warnings about a likely surge, and so on.
And an annual vaccine for boosting immunity against the (predicted to be) most prevalent strains.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So... given that Covid-19 mutates more quickly, is just as transmissible and has a greater death toll over the time period of its existence, what exactly is leading you to conclude it will just fade to irrelevance in a way that influenza didn't?
Every other coronavirus. I mean, half of what you said is wrong, but there's no need to nitpick when the answer to your question remains the same.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Maybe, but I'm not betting on that. Historically, pandemics frequently have 3-year cycles to them. We are at the tail end of that, exiting pandemic times. It would be a surprising thing if going forward covid-19 became unique among its family of viruses to cause flu-like population scale issues in perpetuity.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Every other coronavirus. I mean, half of what you said is wrong, but there's no need to nitpick when the answer to your question remains the same.
What exactly did I say that was wrong, there? Significantly variable strains and variants do arise at a faster rate, so that's not wrong. The death toll over the period is higher for covid than influenza, so that's not wrong either. And the speed of global transmission also clearly outpaced influenza, so that's not wrong either.

As to your response: every other coronavirus did not result in a global pandemic. I don't know whether you've noticed, but this one has caused one or two more problems than your average coronavirus.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
What exactly did I say that was wrong, there? Significantly variable strains and variants do arise at a faster rate, so that's not wrong. The death toll over the period is higher for covid than influenza, so that's not wrong either. And the speed of global transmission also clearly outpaced influenza, so that's not wrong either.
The death toll over the period is higher, unquestionably true. 1 point in your favor.
New strains arise at a faster rate, unquestionably false. 1 point against.
The speed of transmission outpaced influenza? Depends on which influenza you're talking about and when. Half marks.

Half of what you said is true.
As to your response: every other coronavirus did not result in a global pandemic. I don't know whether you've noticed, but this one has caused one or two more problems than your average coronavirus.
That's what you think. 4 of the 7 specific coronaviruses that infect humans predate our ability to identify specific viruses. The were endemic already, they had crossed the globe sometime back in history. When and how they spread are things we can't ever truly know for certain, because there are inherent limitations studying history, but pandemics are the most obvious thing. For one of them, there is increasing evidence that the pandemic of 1889-1890, one of the deadliest pandemics in human history and long believed to be caused by influenza, was actually caused by the coronavirus OC43, which is considered a common cold in the present.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The death toll over the period is higher, unquestionably true. 1 point in your favor.
New strains arise at a faster rate, unquestionably false. 1 point against.
Hmmm... yeah, you're technically correct, in a rather insubstantial way.

So Covid mutates at a lower rate. But the transmission rate and proofreading mechanism result in more significant variants over the same time period in comparison with influenza, which is rather more to the point I was trying to make.

The speed of transmission outpaced influenza? Depends on which influenza you're talking about and when. Half marks.
I'm very obviously talking about the strains that are currently around, and the ones to which we've developed endemic health responses to over the past several decades. Influenza hasn't matched covid-19 in over a century, and then during a multi-continental war.

That's what you think. 4 of the 7 specific coronaviruses that infect humans predate our ability to identify specific viruses. The were endemic already, they had crossed the globe sometime back in history. When and how they spread are things we can't ever truly know for certain, because there are inherent limitations studying history, but pandemics are the most obvious thing. For one of them, there is increasing evidence that the pandemic of 1889-1890, one of the deadliest pandemics in human history and long believed to be caused by influenza, was actually caused by the coronavirus OC43, which is considered a common cold in the present.
In other words: what you have is speculation.

Restrict yourself to what is known, and you have a global pandemic on an inordinately greater scale than anything previously attributed to a coronavirus.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That is solipsism, so no thank you.
Oh, please.

If you're seriously going to argue that we should be considering complete speculation about past viruses on the same level as established medical history, you're simply not being serious.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, please.

If you're seriously going to argue that we should be considering complete speculation about past viruses on the same level as established medical history, you're simply not being serious.
The things you don't know infinitely outnumber the things that you do, especially when discussing past events. You are advocating for deliberate blindness.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Katie Porter is an interesting person. She grills corrupt executives and likely drops the stock prices of large companies. Now, what is the problem? Congress is a corrupt institution and the senate blocks everything, and while I admire her for wanting to go into the senate, she will be 1 of 100. And many people in the senate are sociopaths who will like Manchin state one thing to the press, and then behind closed doors will state I am willing for this entire bill to die. How do you fight that? I don't know. If Bernie Sanders and Warren can't do it how will she do it?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The things you don't know infinitely outnumber the things that you do, especially when discussing past events. You are advocating for deliberate blindness.
Good lord, you really are.

You're really going to sit here and argue that because we can't know for 100% sure, therefore we should consider complete speculation on the same level as established medical history.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Good lord, you really are.

You're really going to sit here and argue that because we can't know for 100% sure, therefore we should consider complete speculation on the same level as established medical history.
It's hardly complete speculation.
A pandemic happened in 1890 that followed exactly the pattern of 2020: it was highly contagious, was highly dangerous to the elderly but not children, was reported to cause loss of taste and smell among other similar symptoms to covid-19, and was seen to infect other mammals. It happened at exactly the time scientists estimate a common human coronavirus split off of a cow specific coronavirus, at a time in history when mass cow transportation and slaughter was expanding rapidly.

On the other hand, the reason to believe that pandemic was the flu is "we just sort of guessed that every unidentified historical respiratory pandemic was the flu".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's hardly complete speculation.
A pandemic happened in 1890 that followed exactly the pattern of 2020: it was highly contagious, was highly dangerous to the elderly but not children, was reported to cause loss of taste and smell among other similar symptoms to covid-19, and was seen to infect other mammals. It happened at exactly the time scientists estimate a common human coronavirus split off of a cow specific coronavirus, at a time in history when mass cow transportation and slaughter was expanding rapidly.

On the other hand, the reason to believe that pandemic was the flu is "we just sort of guessed that every unidentified historical respiratory pandemic was the flu".
Coolsies, there's some supporting evidence. I'm glad we've dropped the absolutely ludicrous solipsism angle.

So: now we have a possible, though not well established, second data point. And you're happy for that to be the basis on which we just assume the current pandemic-- the only actual established data point-- will definitely just fade into irrelevance, and for us to all act as if it will.

The inclination towards complacency and deliberate disregard of caution is incredible sometimes. I wonder how we ever got into this situation!

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Coolsies, there's some supporting evidence. I'm glad we've dropped the absolutely ludicrous solipsism angle
Pro tip. If the colors of my words turn blue, that is a link you can click for more information. I had a source the first time.
So: now we have a possible, though not well established, second data point. And you're happy for that to be the basis on which we just assume the current pandemic-- the only actual established data point-- will definitely just fade into irrelevance, and for us to all act as if it will.
Yes, mostly because acting as if it will requires absolutely no change in your actions. Knowing that historically pandemics fall off after a few years and coronaviruses become regular colds can give you hope for the future without changing any of what you're doing now.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Pro tip. If the colors of my words turn blue, that is a link you can click for more information. I had a source the first time.
Supporting evidence, as in more than one source, from a different group of scientists. I personally dont care as this is just meant to give an esimation and is not intentnded to be completely accurate

Like, I've seen this connection before. I would say they are similar pandemic but not the exactly the same. Nor do I think our response can't be different as our capabilities are different.
Yes, mostly because acting as if it will requires absolutely no change in your actions. Knowing that historically pandemics fall off after a few years and coronaviruses become regular colds can give you hope for the future without changing any of what you're doing now.
I never thought I'd quote Phoenixmgs but - we have maybe been too cavalier with letting 70K Americans die to the seasonal flu. I don't think we can move it to 0, but I think we could reduce it (preferably without masks. And yes, I know I'm bringing this point up for a totally different context that Phoeningmgs intends).

Anyway, yes MERS and the last Avian flu did fall off. I would note that actual quarantines were enforced to help reduce the potential for mutation. Just like most other pandemics in history. We've been deliberately giving Covid to as many people as possible and it's probably going to keep mutating but this is all speculation[/QUOTE]