Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Like.... do you not understand that a deodorant doesn't give you sex? Women dont chase after you? It deodorant, that's not it's design. It was specifically made up to appeal to your identity.

You cannot be that far up your own arse not to see how things get sold to you

It's all vapid virtue signaling. No, buying M&Ms don't help women. No, buying deodorant doesn't give you any attention. No, eating Subway is not fresh and doesn't make you healthy. No, Coke doesn't give you fun, bikini parties or Santa (or a hundred other fake ways that Coke has sold itself when it's just a fizzy drink.) No, Gi Joes were never tough or mamly. They're dolls. They were made to appeal to your identity politics to suck money out of wallets
It's related to the product. Odor does play a role in attraction. Do I think X deodorant will result in sex? No, but it's not some completely unrelated thing either. At worst, it'll probably make you more attractive by not smelling bad. That at least fits the product. M&Ms virtue signaling women empowerment has nothing to do with the product.

ABSOLUTE LOL

No other response is adequate. Complete head-in-the-sand delusion territory.

Yes, you've mentioned this before, when you described how you ignored basic hygiene protocols at work. It continues to be pretty concerning.
No covid variant has had nearly the impact of the original strain on hospital systems.

You always seem to never answer questions that are inconvenient to your narrative. I didn't wear gloves when recommended because they don't do anything. Then, I asked you how is me wearing gloves stopping covid spread because regardless if I did touch something that had covid on it, how is wearing gloves gonna stop covid from spreading somewhere else than if I touched it with my hands? And you never answered that. You don't follow basic logic, let alone science (that says covid doesn't spread via surfaces anyway).

Some people genuinely believe advertising has no effect on them. It's just a multi-billion industry for letting us know products exist and in no way tries to guide our purchasing decisions.

🤷‍♂️
You have the mental ability to not let ads affect you... Just like you can go to the grocery store and just buy what you want vs succumbing to the psychological tricks used by the grocery stores. Also, where do ya'll even see ads anymore in this day and age? Outside of watching a live sports game (which I do less and less, just watch the highlight video on Youtube usually now), I literally don't see any ads (I guess billboards are like the only ads I see nowadays).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You have the mental ability to not let ads affect you... Just like you can go to the grocery store and just buy what you want vs succumbing to the psychological tricks used by the grocery stores. Also, where do ya'll even see ads anymore in this day and age? Outside of watching a live sports game (which I do less and less, just watch the highlight video on Youtube usually now), I literally don't see any ads (I guess billboards are like the only ads I see nowadays).
Yep, was confident you'd be one of those people.

Reactions: Cheetodust

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No covid variant has had nearly the impact of the original strain on hospital systems.
Put the goalposts back.

You always seem to never answer questions that are inconvenient to your narrative. I didn't wear gloves when recommended because they don't do anything. Then, I asked you how is me wearing gloves stopping covid spread because regardless if I did touch something that had covid on it, how is wearing gloves gonna stop covid from spreading somewhere else than if I touched it with my hands? And you never answered that. You don't follow basic logic, let alone science (that says covid doesn't spread via surfaces anyway).
I often will skip over questions that are either 1) irrelevant to the topic, brought up as a deflection; or 2) have already been answered numerous times ("PROVIDE STUDIES THAT SHOW [...]")

To answer this directly: there are other, non-covid reasons to wear gloves or take other basic hygiene precautions in a fucking hospital. "Basic logic", what a grim joke.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Oh gee, I don't know...there's display ads on websites, there's sponsored promotions for influencers, video ads on twitch, youtube, and television, audio ads and jingles on the radio, signs on the highway saying what gas/fast food/hotels are available in the next mile, the ads plastered on the sides of buses and commuter trains, promotional events, collaborations, shout outs, discounts, product placement in shows and movies, published interviews about a company/product, press releases, participation in/sponsorship of community events, "listicles", trailers... Fuck, the entire 'let's play' influencer industry is practically free advertisement for the games being played (eg, the first I'd ever heard of Subnautica was when a playthrough popped up in my feed).

Bluntly, you seem to be operating off assumptions about marketing that were literally obsolete decades ago and confuse the fact that you don't recognize modern - more pervasive - marketing (or for that matter, the conversion funnel) with it not having any effect on you.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
signs on the highway saying what gas/fast food/hotels are available in the next mile, the ads plastered on the sides of buses and commuter trains,
You actually see twice as many of these when it's raining (because of reflections) so it takes a real mind master to overcome them. It's why Mississippi is the sales capital of the world, after Wales.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Marketing execs HATE this one trick...

Hmm, 100+ years of advertising, marketing, and psychological research vs "kek, just ignore it". I wonder which is more likely to be correct.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Marketing execs HATE this one trick...

Hmm, 100+ years of advertising, marketing, and psychological research vs "kek, just ignore it". I wonder which is more likely to be correct.
I also suspect there's a lot of people who say "ads don't affect me" and don't notice when they're watching an ad or that NORDVPN/RAIDSHADOWLEGENDS is stuck in their brain regardless of how much they care about it or not.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, in fairness we are *really* good at ignoring advertising,

As long as it isn't a new style of advertising.

Good thing new styles of advertising aren't coming out every 6 weeks

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I also suspect there's a lot of people who say "ads don't affect me" and don't notice when they're watching an ad or that NORDVPN/RAIDSHADOWLEGENDS is stuck in their brain regardless of how much they care about it or not.
So, I don't watch tv anymore but I do watch a shit tonne of paid-youtube and listen to the radio a lot. I was with friends the other day and they were chatting about products at one stage and upcoming shows and it struck me how much I just don't know about most of the stuff they were referencing.

On the other hand, I know about five kinds of airpods, skillshare, a bunch of games, and everything that Linus Tech tips talks about basically. And it's the weirdest thing to think about how like yeah, I would struggle to name most brands I see constantly referenced as sponsors, but I am extremely aware they're all-out there. And they're this whole different set of things from what tv watchers see.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I almost bought some Gymshark leggings the other day, that's how good advertising is. (I came to my senses and recognized that covering my legs means they will be foreever wraith-like and translucent. You know, like a swamp creature.)

Reactions: Chimpzy

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You have the mental ability to not let ads affect you...
Yeah, this statement is in direct contradiction to this other statement

It's related to the product
You know that chocolate is the food of choice for women, right? So buying M&Ms for your woman is so supportive.

So related. I can feel the tenuous links forming right now.

Do you think that sex/ual attraction didn't happen before deodorants? Or can you grasp that deodorant advertising changed the whole entire world just to sell a product? They changed the standards of human sexual interactions for profit.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Bluntly, you seem to be operating off assumptions about marketing that were literally obsolete decades ago and confuse the fact that you don't recognize modern - more pervasive - marketing (or for that matter, the conversion funnel) with it not having any effect on you.
Years ago, I had a flatmate who worked for an advertising company that did things like paid people to go out into the streets and have loud conversations about how awesome <product> was...

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Years ago, I had a flatmate who worked for an advertising company that did things like paid people to go out into the streets and have loud conversations about how awesome <product> was...
Not gonna lie, that's brilliantly evil

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Put the goalposts back.

I often will skip over questions that are either 1) irrelevant to the topic, brought up as a deflection; or 2) have already been answered numerous times ("PROVIDE STUDIES THAT SHOW [...]")

To answer this directly: there are other, non-covid reasons to wear gloves or take other basic hygiene precautions in a fucking hospital. "Basic logic", what a grim joke.
Hospitals haven't had to do anything MORE for any new covid variant.

You don't even have to wear gloves when going into sterile/clean places like surgery (just bunny suit, shoe covers, and hair net). Why would you have to wear gloves when taking someone's laptop they are returning to IT and getting a new laptop? You do realize much safety stuff is just theater that doesn't do anything, right? Like the TSA.

If avoiding advertising is a function of your mental fortitude to not just listen to what people tell you, you're the worst example of this phenomenon.
Never listened to ads when you had to when watching live TV years back either. I don't watch ads now only because it's a waste of time (time is the most important resource), why have to spend an hour to watch a 40 minute episode?

Oh gee, I don't know...there's display ads on websites, there's sponsored promotions for influencers, video ads on twitch, youtube, and television, audio ads and jingles on the radio, signs on the highway saying what gas/fast food/hotels are available in the next mile, the ads plastered on the sides of buses and commuter trains, promotional events, collaborations, shout outs, discounts, product placement in shows and movies, published interviews about a company/product, press releases, participation in/sponsorship of community events, "listicles", trailers... Fuck, the entire 'let's play' influencer industry is practically free advertisement for the games being played (eg, the first I'd ever heard of Subnautica was when a playthrough popped up in my feed).

Ublock, hit the right arrow a few times on sponsored ads within videos, I don't watch anything on twitch, I don't watch anything on live TV outside the occasional sports game, I don't listen to the radio (I have music directly on my phone that plays in the car with bluetooth). Like I said, billboards are the most prominent ads I probably see today. I don't watch "let's plays" because I find them pretty pointless (I'll play the game if it's good enough vs watching someone else play), I'll watch a review or 15 minutes or so of straight gameplay to decide if a game looks good enough (very few do nowadays). I just recently bought Subnautica on the Xmas sale because even Yahtzee liked it and he doesn't like those type of games (and I also don't like those type of games) and it seems like a game that has the potential to be pretty good. It's not like I ever gave a thought to even try Raid Shadow Legends for example. A trailer is just gonna inform me the game exists, it's not gonna influence if I buy it or not. I asked this before about product placement and why you'd even get affected by it. Does the fact that when you're hanging out with friends and someone is drinking say Mountain Dew influence you to buy Mountain Dew or the fact that have say a MacBook make you buy a MacBook? Sure, if they show me what something can do that I didn't know it can do and think that use/feature is pretty great, I'd consider buying it. Just because they use it though has no influence on whether I care to buy it or not. For example, I guess you can say all the Raycon sponsorships got me interested in buying wireless earbuds, but I looked up Raycon reviews and they were garbage and I ended up getting a pair of Klipsch earbuds because the reviews and I like the Klipsch sound. And I never even saw an ad for Klipsch outside of finding one on Youtube when a guy at work never heard of Klipsch and asked "what the fuck earbuds are those?". I knew about Klipsch from testing sound products at my last job, never seen an ad for them but I buy their stuff. If stuff like prevalent ads from places like McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys or products like Pepsi/Coke work, then why is it that I literally can't tell you the last time I went to any of those fast food places or bought Pepsi/Coke or literally any pop product? The only fast food place I go to occasionally is Culvers, it's because their food is so much better than the garbage you get from McDonalds, not because I see ads for them.

Yeah, this statement is in direct contradiction to this other statement

You know that chocolate is the food of choice for women, right? So buying M&Ms for your woman is so supportive.

So related. I can feel the tenuous links forming right now.

Do you think that sex/ual attraction didn't happen before deodorants? Or can you grasp that deodorant advertising changed the whole entire world just to sell a product? They changed the standards of human sexual interactions for profit.
OMG, body odor is literally a thing associated with attractiveness. Is it most likely extreme exaggeration that a deodorant will help you pick up chicks? Sure. But it's not something completely unrelated to the product.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Huh? Who cares where the flu starts? Seems like it dies out where I'm at every year like clockwork (and I'm in the west).
Well, so many answers to this.

1) Firstly, where influenza strains start can be really useful to know, because it helps us predict 'flu outbreaks. SE Asia is reckoned to be an unusually common geographical location for new influenza strains

2) The website you referenced makes this claim which appears to be extraordinarily iffy. What the evidential basis for this claim is, is anyone's guess. Websites that make dubious claims without evidence should not be trusted, and it's your failure to not check the reliability of your source.

3) Citing "a study in 2015" when we have no information about what this study is (except it was published in 2015) is absolutely worthless. So the website is virtually useless for you to cite in support of anything. You may as well have given us an image of "Dunno, pal" scrawled on a napkin.

4) There is I think an irony of saying advertising does not work, and then relying on the dodgy information on a corporate website that exists for marketing to defend your points.

Reactions: Avnger and Silvanus

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ok, first of all: You asked about where people were "actually even see ads anymore in this day and age". You do not get to dismiss the response by explaining why you believe that none of them affect you.

Second: Formatting. The least you could do is paragraph breaks.

Third: You prove my point about not understanding modern marketing and the conversion funnel.

An advertisement does not try to move you directly from unaware to purchase in one move. It's an entire process designed to move likely buyers further towards making a transaction. If you're not aware of the product, the first goal is to put it on your radar so that you recognize the name and market it works in, putting you into the Awareness stage of the funnel. Not everyone who is in the Awareness stage will move down to the Interest stage. Not everyone who is in the Interest stage will move on to Consideration, etc. That's why it's a funnel.

Now, are there people who will move immediately from being unaware to instant purchase? Yes. But they're an extreme rarity. The average successful conversion takes more than ten interactions before they're willing to make a purchase, and - barring special targeting methods - most of the interactions won't pan out for that particular transaction. Generally applied ads are a numbers game. Eg, a good display campaign on Google Ads might have a conversion rate of 2%, and that's usually just to get them to the Interest phase of signing up for a newsletter. However, as you progress through the funnel and cutting the losses of people who won't progress further, you're identifying higher and higher quality leads to focus your efforts on.

Modern marketing does not generally operate on the 'one and done' philosophy that you seem to be basing your presumptions of efficacy on. It sees interaction with its audience as an ongoing relationship that occurs across multiple sessions, with a given transaction being generally less important than fostering superior lifetime value. You not making a purchase from them when you're only at the awareness stage is not you beating the system, that's you not understanding the KPI and statistics of that phase of your customer journey.

Reactions: Avnger

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
If stuff like prevalent ads from places like McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys or products like Pepsi/Coke work, then why is it that I literally can't tell you the last time I went to any of those fast food places or bought Pepsi/Coke or literally any pop product? The only fast food place I go to occasionally is Culvers, it's because their food is so much better than the garbage you get from McDonalds, not because I see ads for them.
Right, because it doesn't actually matter that much that you went and got (or didn't get) a McDonald's specifically, it matters that your desire for a burger was triggered. A certain proportion of people whose desire for a burger is triggered will go to McDonald's, and that's all the advert is for at that level. It doesn't matter to McD's that someone goes to Burger King instead, because it works the other way round too when BK run adverts: they've created a desire for a product, and they're in the right place to fulfil that desire so they make a sale.

This is exactly what happened to you with the Raycon stuff: you saw an advert for ear buds then you wanted to buy ear buds. It doesn't matter to Raycon that this one purchase didn't go to them because a lot still will - the advert did its job, it stimulated a demand you did not previously have.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, were the Chipettes woke then, too? Because that was all the way back in '83. Does this mean the 'look, that thing you know, but now it's a girl version' marketing ploy is old as snot, and not an evil, modern leftist attempt at emasculation? Surely not.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well, so many answers to this.

1) Firstly, where influenza strains start can be really useful to know, because it helps us predict 'flu outbreaks. SE Asia is reckoned to be an unusually common geographical location for new influenza strains

2) The website you referenced makes this claim which appears to be extraordinarily iffy. What the evidential basis for this claim is, is anyone's guess. Websites that make dubious claims without evidence should not be trusted, and it's your failure to not check the reliability of your source.

3) Citing "a study in 2015" when we have no information about what this study is (except it was published in 2015) is absolutely worthless. So the website is virtually useless for you to cite in support of anything. You may as well have given us an image of "Dunno, pal" scrawled on a napkin.

4) There is I think an irony of saying advertising does not work, and then relying on the dodgy information on a corporate website that exists for marketing to defend your points.
I'm not really in the business of predicting flu outbreaks and don't really care personally where they come from as the flu/cold season is always the same time.

What evidence is there that any covid measures (before covid) have stopped the flu? Guess what happens when you search for masking + flu + limit the search to before 2020? Every single fucking article/study/epidemiologist/infectious disease expert says masks don't work. Acting like we stopped the flu with covid measures for the 1 or so years it vanished is nothing but ignorance and hubris.

Ok, first of all: You asked about where people were "actually even see ads anymore in this day and age". You do not get to dismiss the response by explaining why you believe that none of them affect you.

Second: Formatting. The least you could do is paragraph breaks.

Third: You prove my point about not understanding modern marketing and the conversion funnel.

An advertisement does not try to move you directly from unaware to purchase in one move. It's an entire process designed to move likely buyers further towards making a transaction. If you're not aware of the product, the first goal is to put it on your radar so that you recognize the name and market it works in, putting you into the Awareness stage of the funnel. Not everyone who is in the Awareness stage will move down to the Interest stage. Not everyone who is in the Interest stage will move on to Consideration, etc. That's why it's a funnel.

Now, are there people who will move immediately from being unaware to instant purchase? Yes. But they're an extreme rarity. The average successful conversion takes more than ten interactions before they're willing to make a purchase, and - barring special targeting methods - most of the interactions won't pan out for that particular transaction. Generally applied ads are a numbers game. Eg, a good display campaign on Google Ads might have a conversion rate of 2%, and that's usually just to get them to the Interest phase of signing up for a newsletter. However, as you progress through the funnel and cutting the losses of people who won't progress further, you're identifying higher and higher quality leads to focus your efforts on.

Modern marketing does not generally operate on the 'one and done' philosophy that you seem to be basing your presumptions of efficacy on. It sees interaction with its audience as an ongoing relationship that occurs across multiple sessions, with a given transaction being generally less important than fostering superior lifetime value. You not making a purchase from them when you're only at the awareness stage is not you beating the system, that's you not understanding the KPI and statistics of that phase of your customer journey.
I was inundated with ads from TV in the beforetime (pre-internet, pre-streaming) when you sorta had to watch ads if you were watching TV. I know what being inundated with ads is like, and thus mentioned that experience. Now, billboards are probably the legit most common ads I see and rarely see ads anymore, and thus mentioned that. Beyond telling me of a new product I didn't know about, ads don't do anything for me. If that product looks like something I'd really like to have, I'll look into it. I go about buying a product the same way regardless if I saw an ad for it (and now know of its existence) or say my video card on my computer went out. I will go and research both things the same exact way. Being inundated with that entire marketing funnel for say Mountain Dew isn't going to get me to buy Mountain Dew or any pop regardless of how much I see it. Seeing say John Wick drinking a Mountain Dew is gonna have zero effect on me wanting a Mountain Dew or any pop. The only time I actually even order a pop (outside of it being part of a mixed drink) is if I go somewhere that has unique pops like so few places have Green River pop, and I'll usually treat myself the once or twice a year as it's pretty rare going to a place that has such pops.

I was also referring to psychological stuff like what grocery stores do. The whole time I watched this video, I was thinking that "this actually works?"

Right, because it doesn't actually matter that much that you went and got (or didn't get) a McDonald's specifically, it matters that your desire for a burger was triggered. A certain proportion of people whose desire for a burger is triggered will go to McDonald's, and that's all the advert is for at that level. It doesn't matter to McD's that someone goes to Burger King instead, because it works the other way round too when BK run adverts: they've created a desire for a product, and they're in the right place to fulfil that desire so they make a sale.

This is exactly what happened to you with the Raycon stuff: you saw an advert for ear buds then you wanted to buy ear buds. It doesn't matter to Raycon that this one purchase didn't go to them because a lot still will - the advert did its job, it stimulated a demand you did not previously have.
I usually don't even get burgers from Culvers. I'm pretty sure ads don't trigger my desire for Culvers as I pretty much only stop in there when I go to my friend's for DnD every other week as there's one right next to his place (I doubt there's some specific ad that makes me want Culvers those specific days and only those very specific days). It's an easy way to make sure I only eat such food occasionally. I do go more in the summer since I'll have a taste for their frozen custard more often. According to you, I probably get a taste for ice cream more in the summer because there's more ice cream ads in the summer and thus ads indeed work vs it being summer and you naturally get a taste for colder stuff in the summer. If only the soup companies knew people only eat soup more in the winter because of the more soup ads, they could get people eating soup in the summer too!!!

I've always found myself not using earphones/headphones as much as I think I would over my life and it really is because of the cord. I use my wireless earbuds more than any pair of earphones/headphones that I've ever had. The earbud scene has really exploded and there's so many options that I figured it would be good time to try a pair out. You can say the ad worked on me or didn't, I don't really care. But it's not like earphones/headphones was something I never had bought before or wouldn't buy again, and then BAM the Raycon ads softened me up.

Last edited: