Velma on HBO Max.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, one thing about the discourse surrounding this show has kind of surprised me, and that's people calling out how outrageous it is that they're showing high schoolers in the shower, and sexualizing them. Which, I mean, yes it is, but also these are the same people who don't bat an eye at most anime that does the exact same and even worse shit with underaged characters. Like, they have seen My Hero Academia, right? Which is apparently fine, but Velma is somehow crossing some major line. Can someone explain this sudden behaviour to me, or is it really just as simple as 'when anime does it it's okay, and when western animation does it it's predatory and creepy'?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
apparently fine, but Velma is somehow crossing some major line. Can someone explain this sudden behaviour to me, or is it really just as simple as 'when anime does it it's okay, and when western animation does it it's predatory and creepy'?
It's pretty much that. Sometimes they will say, "The anime is aware of/lampshades its fan service, so it's okay."

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual Shinji

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's pretty much that. Sometimes they will say, "The anime is aware/lampshades it's fan service, so it's okay."
Figured as much. And it's hypocritical as all fuck. I saw a clip of Ironmouse remarking on Velma, calling out how it's 15-year old girls, and it's like 'girl, you're part of a community that has loli characters, for Christ's sake!' Nobody (certainly hardly anybody) was making videos calling out Fire Force, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Nagatoro last year. But now all these channels suddenly feel weird about underaged characters getting sexualized, because it doesn't look like anime.

Reactions: Gatuno and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I saw a clip of Ironmouse remarking on Velma, calling out how it's 15-year old girls, and it's like 'girl, you're part of a community that has loli characters, for Christ's sake!' Nobody (certainly hardly anybody) was making videos calling out Fire Force, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Nagatoro last year.
Not to make rash judgments, but she is full of shit đź’©.

But now all these channels suddenly feel weird about underaged characters getting sexualized, because it doesn't look like anime.
Everyone should call them out on it. Don't matter if they like the show or not. There are a lot of YouTubers that need to have their egos brought down, and realize they ain't the hottest thing nor the smartest people on the web.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So, one thing about the discourse surrounding this show has kind of surprised me, and that's people calling out how outrageous it is that they're showing high schoolers in the shower, and sexualizing them. Which, I mean, yes it is, but also these are the same people who don't bat an eye at most anime that does the exact same and even worse shit with underaged characters. Like, they have seen My Hero Academia, right? Which is apparently fine, but Velma is somehow crossing some major line. Can someone explain this sudden behaviour to me, or is it really just as simple as 'when anime does it it's okay, and when western animation does it it's predatory and creepy'?
To be fair, I've never seen My Hero Academia, and Anime is fucking creepy as fuck for sexualizing minors. I've heard Weebs try to defend is saying the age of consent in Japan is 13, so in their culture its okay. But I say fuck that, in our culture you're a pedophile.

To Velma itself, what I find interesting about the discourse surrounding the show is the change from Velma itself being shit, which it is, to Mindy Kaling is kinda shit too, did you notice? Like "Hey did you ever notice every single Kaling character is the same? A vapid, boy-hungry dork with social issues? and that every time she writes a character, its always an East Asian vapid boy-hungry dork with social issues? And that every time she writes an episode for a show she introduces a vapid boy-hungry dork with social issues?" If any good comes from Velma, it'll be people finally realize the desperate calls for help Mindy has been putting out for decades and she finally gets that help.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Kinda sounds like Velma, the character wants to be Daria, but by committee.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So Velma gets even worse. The newest episode is about the murders going on in the town, and the men of the town realizing only the hot underage girls are getting killed, so they decide to make a Top 5 list of the hottest underage girls in the town to protect them. And Velma is upset she doesn't make the cut, so she goes to Fred to find out who in their school is hot enough to be murdered and Fred uses...boob math to find who the hot ones are. And Velma is again annoyed she doesn't make the cut.
And Shaggy is trying to find out why Velma has the hots for Daphne from Daphne, who spends most of the episode posing with her feet to the viewer. Because foot fetish.
and all the girls at school, the underage ones I will remind you, decide that to be protected they need to be hot, so que tons of shots of underage girls in bikinis, schoolgirl outfits, wet tshits, etc...because society only values young hot women, get it?
And then the police chief, after telling Velma she's ugly, wants Velma to ugly up the Top 5 hottest underage girls so the killer won't kill them.
This one was even uglier than the first 3. I'm done with the show. Gave it 4 episodes, that's enough.
Velma ep4.png

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've heard Weebs try to defend is saying the age of consent in Japan is 13.
Which is not true. Technically, yes, age of consent is 13 at the national level, but there's also prefectural and municipal AoC laws, all of which supercede the national AoC, and which generally put it at 16 or even 18. All combined mean Japan actually has one of the higher age of consents. There also other laws that effectively make it illegal for an adult to have sex with someone underage, consent or no. Not that there aren't many problems, like one of the reasons why groping is so endemic in Japan, is that the punishments for it are pretty mild, generally limited to just fines i.e. legal if you can afford it. Don't get caught with an ounce of weed tho. You're going away forever.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Which is not true. Technically, yes, age of consent is 13 at the national level, but there's also prefectural and municipal AoC laws, all of which supercede the national AoC, and which generally put it at 16 or even 18. All combined mean Japan actually has one of the higher age of consents. There also other laws that effectively make it illegal for an adult to have sex with someone underage, consent or no. Not that there aren't many problems, like one of the reasons why groping is so endemic in Japan, is that the punishments for it are pretty mild, generally limited to just fines i.e. legal if you can afford it. Don't get caught with an ounce of weed tho. You're going away forever.
Also, isn't the age of consent only between those of the same age till like 18 or something?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Also, isn't the age of consent only between those of the same age till like 18 or something?
Can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the 13yo think requires parental permission on both sides, which does imply both parties would be underage.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Also, cops in Japan apparently aren't too sensitive when it comes to dealing with sexual assault victims, along with the shame that women feel likely being far greater than it already is for women in the West.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be fair, I've never seen My Hero Academia,

Not all of the teenaged girl characters have costumes like this (most of the characters from Class 1-A and Class 1-B have conservative costumes), but fan service still occurs every now and then in the earlier season. I stopped watching around Season 5. I do know as the series gets more serious, there's less fan-service.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Watched one episode. Holy crap, it's horrible. I rolled my eyes so much, they hit me in the back of the head from having propellered out of my skull and making a full circumference of the planet. Every joke is either dumb edge, crassness and/or cringe, lots of mocking of common tropes and then just doing those tropes. Newsflash, being self-aware is not subversive in and of itself. Every character is an unlikable asshole, which can work fine, but only if combined with humor and wit, which this show has none of. Seriously, who the fuck is this for?
It's for the execs who want excuse to make reality tv version of this kind of tasteless slop meant to pander to brain-dead population tired of wokeness and progressiveness and would rather numb their children with reality tv garbage than thoughtful shows about LGBTQ+ and progressive ideals meant to turn people into decent human beings.

That was 2hat Westworld, Infinity Train and final Space died and being unable to in any legal way watch made way for and I will not apologize for stating it in a hyperbolical manner.

KonradLeijon be praised!

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Are you sure these complaints are coming from the same people? The one's who have no issue with MHA and other anime sexualizing teens wouldn't have an issue with this show doing the same thing and are more likely to be mad at the race lifting, meta humor, etc.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are you sure these complaints are coming from the same people? The one's who have no issue with MHA and other anime sexualizing teens wouldn't have an issue with this show doing the same thing and are more likely to be mad at the race lifting, meta humor, etc.
I don't bother to keep up with every single YouTuber for a reason, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ones that watch MHA and don't have a problem with that fan service, have a problem with the fan service of this show. I'm sure there are ones that equally mad about all the above, but it gets to a point where you're just going to have to start looking at every single one of these people comment and they are not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatuno

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not so much pointing at specific people as I am at the outrage in general over the underaged characters in Velma compared to the outrage over underaged characters in anime. There are some videos calling out anime on this, but with Velma it seemed to come out of the woodwork.

Reactions: Gatuno and BrawlMan

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Ok, so haven't seen the show and don't plan on it, however, calling it now that it's gonna turn out that Shaggy is the one going around killing people at the behest of his "talking" dog, Scooby-Doo like Son of Sam.

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
I don't even know people hated Scrappy until I started participating in and observing online discussions about him. I was so confused when the first live-action movie depicted him as a villain.
Yeah, I also got really confused why they decided to use Scrappy Doo as the villain in the movie when I first watched the movie. Now I know that they are just trying to "please" the fans that hated Scrappy, but what they did was just character assassination. Scrappy Doo never treat the gang bad or demanded that they treat him as a leader, not to mention that he had a huge respect for his uncle Scooby Doo. Oh yeah, speaking on "character assassination", they also did this with Scooby in this movie since he let his nephew alone in an desert