General Gaming News.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales

Ah yes, people with no financial stake in the game doing well who've the threat of any negative repercussions for lying or embellishing are great sources.

Let us know when you find them, ta.

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Wait but no it was just as painful for Phil as it was for everyone losing their ability to make rent tho!

So very. Very. Painful. 😔

Oops, dropped a completely unrelated link, sorry.

Microsoft has come under fire after details of a get together it held in Davos, Switzerland, left the company’s workers more than a little stung.

The Wall Street Journal reported this week that Microsoft hosted an exclusive event for around 50 people at the Swiss ski resort on Tuesday evening, with sources telling the publication that attendees had been treated to a live performance from iconic musician Sting. The party’s theme was sustainability, according to the WSJ.

It is unclear whether Microsoft paid Sting to perform at its event on Tuesday evening, but according to booking agency AAE Music it can cost upward of $500,000 to hire the artist for a private gig.

Invitees to the event—which the WSJ described on Wednesday as “intimate”—reportedly included some of the company’s most senior executives.

The next day, Microsoft announced it was slashing 10,000 jobs—almost 5% of its workforce—citing “macroeconomic conditions and changing customer priorities.”

It marked the largest round of layoffs at the company since 2014. Toward the end of last year, the company announced it would be letting 1,000 workers go.

In an email to employees on Wednesday, CEO Satya Nadella said some workers would be told that day that their jobs would be cut, adding that the downsizing would be completed by the third quarter of 2023.

“We will treat our people with dignity and respect, and act transparently,” he said. “These decisions are difficult, but necessary.”

“We’re living through times of significant change,” Nadella also told his workforce. “We’re seeing organizations in every industry and geography exercise caution as some parts of the world are in a recession and other parts are anticipating one.”

Microsoft is just the latest behemoth of the tech sector to announce sweeping job cuts. Amazon, Twitter and Salesforce are among a plethora of tech firms who also announced layoffs in recent months.

‘Seriously bad’
Some Microsoft employees told the WSJ that the turn of events between Tuesday and Wednesday was not a good look for the tech giant.

As details emerged around the company’s gathering in Davos—where wealthy and powerful people from all over the world are gathering for the World Economic Forum’s annual flagship conference—the firm also faced criticism on social media, with some dubbing the firm’s moves “hypocrisy” and a “bad look.”

Rita Gunther McGrath, a professor at Columbia Business School and author of The End of Competitive Advantage, said in a tweet that Microsoft’s week had left the firm’s reputation somewhat tarnished.

“I’m a big fan of Satya Nadella, but this is seriously bad executive symbolism,” she said.

Angus Norton, CEO of Seattle-based Bodhi Venture Labs and a former VP at Microsoft, said of the tech titan’s PR blunder that “the optics aren’t good.”

“I think it’s easy to forget that the term ‘job cuts’ = ‘livelihoods impacted’,” he said in a LinkedIn post on Thursday. “Behind every ‘cut’ is a human being, a family, a mouth to feed.”

Representatives for Microsoft declined to comment when contacted by Fortune.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait but no it was just as painful for Phil as it was for everyone losing their ability to make rent tho!

So very. Very. Painful. 😔

Oops, dropped a completely unrelated link, sorry.

Microsoft...I am fucking done. I don't want even want to think of bothering with your Series X, since this is how you're all going to act. None of you are victims.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Granblue Fantasy Versus is getting a sequel with rollback and crossplay! GBVS:Rising is a thing~

Also it has a very extensive lobby mode, including a thing that kinda looks like that platformer that was free on ps+ that's like mario party. Not for me but if you like that sort of thing they have a trailer for it too!

Can't wait to see what new moves everyone gets, from the trailer I spot Narmaya having a new overhead-looking move, and of course Gran goes blue too now.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I wonder how Random Black Gamer feels about this now. He was one of the few defenders of this game. I remember when Max_Dood tried to defend this game giving it a 7 out of 10, only to change his mind about nearly a month later. Steve still tried to defend it and say "it's fun", but he clearly was in pain trying to over defend it and make excuses on why he was still playing.

I actually remember that article...

What happened to you Phil? Or was the Phil we (thought we) knew, ever real to begin with? I asked this, and I'm not even a big Microsoft fan. I did respect Phil Spencer, but that's becoming less and less day by day.
It goes to show they never knew wtf they were gonna do, if Halo was basically the golden goose of the brand.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Actual dialogue in Forspoken. Suffice to say I’m glad I didn’t preorder or was planning on buying it

Hey AAA game developers: you’d probably wind up making better games if you, like, actually focused more on the game part instead of trying to make interactive movies.

Anyways -

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Honestly I never got the hype with Forespoken, it didn't look interesting from the get go, it had a distinct lack of coolness about it. I think this is more about there being barely any new exclusive ps5 games to talk about so it just existing was noteworthy in and of itself. But when you have GoW5 on the ps4 playing just fine it kinda ceases to matter that this is a ps5 exclusive.
Hey AAA game developers: you’d probably wind up making better games if you, like, actually focused more on the game part instead of trying to make interactive movies.

Anyways -
Or they could just make good interactive movies at least, something like Asura's Wrath where they go all the way into the playable anime concept instead of trying to pretend to have a full game alongside it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
. I think this is more about there being barely any new exclusive ps5 games to talk about so it just existing was noteworthy in and of itself
Why are people still trying to act like the Ps5 doesnt have any games? Bro the shitty gameless console is THAT way *points at the black refrigerator*

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are people still trying to act like the Ps5 doesnt have any games? Bro the shitty gameless console is THAT way *points at the black refrigerator*
  • The PS2 has no games. For the first 6 to 8 months.
  • The GameCube has not enough games or too many "kiddy" games.
  • The original Xbox has too many shooters (that one's kind of true).
  • The PS3 has no games. For about nearly 2 years.
  • The Wii has no games. It did, but they came out at a slow rate and by 2011 a majority of developers and and publishers were straight-up done with the console.
  • The Wii U has no games. It did, but not everybody appreciated it, or felt it was behind the times.
  • The PS4 has no games .
  • The Xbox One has no games and focuses on TV/Sports too much. The TV and streaming part was actually true.
  • The Switch has no games or too many ports of Wii U games or seventh generation games. I remember when certain people on this site we're tooting that horn way too much. That pretty much became less true by 2018.
You're always going to have people who love to exaggerate certain things or cherry pick, because of dumb console rivalry and such, or ignorance. No I know covid has been tough on everything, but at least Sony & Nintendo still puts out stuff. Nearly everyone not under Microsoft's giant and greedy idiotic hands have more output going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Ooh cool more Steamworld game.

Thunderful Games has unveiled SteamWorld Build - the latest entry in its acclaimed, genre-hopping SteamWorld series - which promises to serve up a mix of "SimCity with Dungeon Keeper" when it comes to PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5, and Switch later this year.

Build is the SteamWorld series' first 3D outing and challenges players to construct a city while also sending their workers to explore foe-packed mines below ground in order to keep a steady supply of building resources incoming.

Thunderful says there'll be a narrative component to the whole thing - the ultimate goal is to build a rocket to escape the planet before it shatters (events in Build run concurrently to those in SteamWorld Dig 2) - and you can get a closer look at its intriguing action in the studio's announcement livestream, as well as in Christian Donlan's very encouraging initial impressions.

Build's livestream unveiling was accompanied by teases of further SteamWorld titles in development, and while Thunderful didn't elaborate during its latest broadcast, previous announcements from the studio have given us a pretty good idea of what's still to come.

SteamWorld Headhunter - a "stylised and colourful, third-person co-op action adventure" - was announced in 2021, and a company earnings report shared last May revealed Thunderful also has a city builder (now revealed as Build), a mobile puzzle title, and a turned-based tactical shooter/strategy game on the way.

That report pointed to a 2023 release for Headhunter and the mobile game, with the shooter due next year. Thunderful says it'll have more details on its other SteamWorld projects at a later time, and while we wait for those - alongside a firm release date for the newly announced city builder - PC players can pass the time with a demo version of Build now live on Steam.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
How it started:

How's it going:

(Not exactly news, but Engage is nearly out, and it's pointless to moan at FE's direction this late in the game, but meh.)

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
How it started:

How's it going:

(Not exactly news, but Engage is nearly out, and it's pointless to moan at FE's direction this late in the game, but meh.)
The FE franchise thouroughly left me behind since the SNES/GBA days(which, tbf, they apparently were losing cash). At the same time since apparently child grooming is an integral part of new FE experience, I'm okay with that.

Reactions: CriticalGaming