Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Woke is when powersave mode saves too much power
I'm pretty sure a powersaving mode in general is woke. Might I refer everyone to Dennis Leary's classic Asshole. This is the normal way conservatives have been doing things for decadaes

Like, the stupidest thing about the gas stove and baby formula controversy is that there are DANGEROUS CARCINOGENS inside both that have been damaging our bodies for decades. But point out that there ARE dangerous carcinogens is woke. Instead of the proper reaction to this news of being angry at the companies lying to us and damaging our bodies for their profits.

Why would feeding lead to babies be a good thing? I literally cant understand this

What the fuck are we even doing anymore?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"The gub'mint can't tell me what to do! I'll stick my hand in this woodchipper if I- OH GOD MY HAND!"
Apparently gun owners are filming themselves taking loaded guns, pointing them at their genitals, and pulling on the triggers a little to show they don't care about gun safety rules, because the woke does.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I generally like Rick and Morty

That being said, Rick is an asshole who is magically always right and magically have the right tool in his tool belt (that doesn't exist, so where the fuck is he pulling them from?) Every. Goddam.Time. There was even shark repellent. You wanna call something Mary Sue, call that Mary Sue because it makes any stakes pointless. And fucks with his family to everyone's detriment just to prove how much better he is

He's alcoholic Batman.

I like watching Batman. And Rick. But they are not worthy of any hero worship
Isn't Iron Man literally alcoholic Batman?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I wish I was allowed to be aggressively stupid as a job
To quote Homer, who as far as I'm concerned is a much greater source of wisdom than Ben Shapiro, "The sword itself incites to acts of violence".

Ben Shapiro is clearly very proud of how clever he thinks he is, because he keeps telling us how clever he is; and to be fair to him, there are enough other people who agree. The problem - well, just one of several - with Ben Shapiro is that no matter how smart he is, what his intelligence is directed at is creating easily digestible snippets and slogans for right wingers mostly of much more modest intelligence - in effect, PR. Again to be fair to him, he's good at it. But it's not analysis, it's not deep, insightful, or in respects potentially honest.

Superficially, yes, not having guns does not solve violence. However, Homer's quote recognises that if you have the capability to resolve a problem with violence, you will be more likely to use that capability when you encounter the problem. (It's not until we got to nuclear weapons and the capability becoming more of a problem than the problems it solved that changed.) With a lesser capability, even if violence is employed, I suspect most people would prefer a broken jaw to a bullet through the skull.

In particular, I think there's strong element to crime and violence (including suicide) that is impulsive: the idea that all violence is planned and premeditated is obvious bunk. Not having ready access to highly lethal weapons means when the impulse strikes, it either cannot be expressed or the expression is vastly less severe.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
To quote Homer, who as far as I'm concerned is a much greater source of wisdom than Ben Shapiro, "The sword itself incites to acts of violence".

Ben Shapiro is clearly very proud of how clever he thinks he is, because he keeps telling us how clever he is; and to be fair to him, there are enough other people who agree. The problem - well, just one of several - with Ben Shapiro is that no matter how smart he is, what his intelligence is directed at is creating easily digestible snippets and slogans for right wingers mostly of much more modest intelligence - in effect, PR. Again to be fair to him, he's good at it. But it's not analysis, it's not deep, insightful, or in respects potentially honest.

Superficially, yes, not having guns does not solve violence. However, Homer's quote recognises that if you have the capability to resolve a problem with violence, you will be more likely to use that capability when you encounter the problem. (It's not until we got to nuclear weapons and the capability becoming more of a problem than the problems it solved that changed.) With a lesser capability, even if violence is employed, I suspect most people would prefer a broken jaw to a bullet through the skull.

In particular, I think there's strong element to crime and violence (including suicide) that is impulsive: the idea that all violence is planned and premeditated is obvious bunk. Not having ready access to highly lethal weapons means when the impulse strikes, it either cannot be expressed or the expression is vastly less severe.
When Australian gun laws were tightened, there was a significant decrease in gun suicides amongst young men without a corresponding increase in suicides by other methods.

Also, I'm led to believe that when teaching escape and evasion, having a firearm is sometimes considered a liability, as it encourages people to try to shoot their way out of problems rather than avoiding contact.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why would feeding lead to babies be a good thing? I literally cant understand this

What the fuck are we even doing anymore?
I believe Father John Misty called it "the gentler side of mankind's deathwish". The push to pack self-destructive ingredients into stuff we use and then ignore that they're there.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Apparently gun owners are filming themselves taking loaded guns, pointing them at their genitals, and pulling on the triggers a little to show they don't care about gun safety rules, because the woke does.
These people must lead profoundly empty lives.

I wish I was allowed to be aggressively stupid as a job
As it turns out, you don't need to be a great wit to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I had to look into this because it sounded so fucking stupid.

Apparently it dates back to ~2019, and it's mostly aimed at other gun owners (ones who take safety seriously) rather than gun control advocates or the "woke".

And yes, someone shot himself in the testicle.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I had to look into this because it sounded so fucking stupid.

Apparently it dates back to ~2019, and it's mostly aimed at other gun owners (ones who take safety seriously) rather than gun control advocates or the "woke".

And yes, someone shot himself in the testicle.

I heard that they decided that gun owners that follow basic safety rules were woke, but it's not something I've researched in any great detail.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes.

I would say with reasonable confidence that the average responsible gun owner - precisely the ones always bugging everyone about safety first - is likely negligible problem in terms of societal gun violence. They might be just as fervent about their right to own and bear, but they're generally not the sort of people likely to have accidents or go postal over someone nicking their parking space. The problem is all the other people who also get the same the right to own and bear a gun.

Certainly in the UK, the almost every person I've met who passionately thinks they should have the right to own a gun is an advert for gun control.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

So what do we think is going to happen? My guess is the video is brutal, the DA will bring charges, and then 4 of the officers will plead out and testify against the 5th. Also willing to bet if the officers had been white, they would have gotten away with it. I don't think its a coincidence this police killing is treated with swift firing and arrests, and all the defendants are black men.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
He can't just be genuinely wrong, because being wrong on that topic is something the AI is not allowed to express, regardless of context. And a lot of these examples that people are throwing out where some historical figure throws out an overtly ahistorical response on some topice regarding say race, gender, trans or whatever are asking it for things that an honest answer from that character's perspective is not allowed.
Programs are built on heuristics. Heuristics are figuring out of something is right or wrong

If you're talking about AI, they can make up their own rules for right and wrong

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
You have to remember that these are people who are deeply, deeply attached to anti-psychiatry, and to the idea that mental health conditions are purely environmental. To them, if a person is suicidal, it's because they have failed to get their shit together and are living a disordered life. Obviously if that person tidied their room or went to more religious services, they would stop being suicidal, and the only reason anyone doesn't do these obviously good things that would fix the problem immediately is because they're immoral or weak people or because they've been brainwashed not to do the obviously good, helpful things by an overly permissive society.

Because if that weren't true, if there were actual chemical or neurological differences that could make people impulsive or depressed which were not tied to their behaviour or lifestyle, then not being mentally ill or suicidal wouldn't be a moral achievement, and what would life be if it weren't an endless quest for a sense of smug superiority over everyone else?