Your favorite bad game: be it story, gameplay, art design, graphics, etc.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I know this is just a typo, but I can't stop picturing it as herd, and seeing this herd of old video game cartridges, roaming the steppes while a sheep dog patrols around. And Starfox 64 is like, the primo cartridge, with the most glorious plumage/coat/etc.
If I had any artistic talent I'd probably be drawing that up right now.

Reactions: happyninja42

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I could still play Starfox 64 all day and not be bored, it has a special place in my heart and I still dig out the crusty old trident controllers for it. I do have the remaster on the ds but I can't mash the buttons so good on the handheld.

Zero still hurts me.
Oh yeah, I love it also. I got it when it came out and ended up 100%ing it in just like 2 days, but it was so good I would never trade it in and I would get remastered versions. Unfortunately I just don't like the rest of the games in the series. Each one did something to bug me... with the exception of the first one but its hard to go back to that frame rate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh yeah, I love it also. I got it when it came out and ended up 100%ing it in just like 2 days, but it was so good I would never trade it in and I would get remastered versions. Unfortunately I just don't like the rest of the games in the series. Each one did something to bug me... with the exception of the first one but its hard to go back to that frame rate.
Just like I mentioned earlier with you. Panzer is way more consistent series. It did not help that some later "sequels" were not even supposed to be Star Fox games. Why does Nintendo hate SF and F-Zero so fucking much? Not everything has to reinvent the wheel or be different for the sake of it, dumb asses. Just make a good and fun game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The House of the Dead series. Great gameplay and soundtrack; horrible voice acting. More so 1 & especially 2. 3 & 4 are ranged from competent to decent and surprisingly good in certain spots. 5's voice acting went almost in to 1 territory with the male character.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Just like I mentioned earlier with you. Panzer is way more consistent series. It did not help that some later "sequels" were not even supposed to be Star Fox games. Why does Nintendo hate SF and F-Zero so fucking much? Not everything has to reinvent the wheel or be different for the sake of it, dumb asses. Just make a good and fun game.
Maybe. I think that Starfox 64 is one of the best games ever made, but the rest of the series just misses for me. I guess Armada was ok, but it came out when I was in the phase of hating psychic powers and they replaced Peppy with Crystal and instead of just scanning the enemies she used her psychic powers to show how much hp they had. At the time that rubbed me so wrong that I just got rid of the game and it totally colored my perception of it. Starfox adventures I found to be lackluster SF version of Zelda, didn't play Zero, but I really wanted to, however after hearing about the control scheme, just no. Didn't really like the open world kinda thing that Starfox 2 and command had. The original Starfox was good, but hard to go back to that fps as I said before.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm still holding out hope for a Body Harvest remaster with a proper final level, but apparently it was a total flop.
I remember that having surprisingly moody music despite the bright neon colours and overall kinda silver-age comic art direction, that game was interesting, I think it could use a re-release.

I recall Turok (N64) being pretty unsettling. The piss-poor draw meant dinosaurs literally appeared from the "mist" like 10 feet in front of you; made every other encounter an "oh shit" moment.
Yeah, people don't give Turok enough credit I think, it's pretty much remembered almost exclusively for having cool guns, but while the level design can be a pain at times due to it's labyrinthine nature, it does have surprisingly good atmosphere for the time, it can go from action packed and very exiting to moody and creepy, which isn't that easy to do so they do deserve credit for that.
The House of the Dead series. Great gameplay and soundtrack; horrible voice acting, More so 1 & especially 2. 3 & 4 are ranged from competent to decent and surprisingly good in certain spots. 5's voice acting went almost in to 1 territory with the male character.

I don't think it would be as good without that classic early 90s horrible voice acting though, it makes it extra charming, like classic Resident Evil.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I remember that having surprisingly moody music despite the bright neon colours and overall kinda silver-age comic art direction, that game was interesting, I think it could use a re-release.

Yeah, people don't give Turok enough credit I think, it's pretty much remembered almost exclusively for having cool guns, but while the level design can be a pain at times due to it's labyrinthine nature, it does have surprisingly good atmosphere for the time, it can go from action packed and very exiting to moody and creepy, which isn't that easy to do so they do deserve credit for that.
Yeah, despite its colors it was a really dark game thematically.

Yeah totally, the n64 had limitations but for the most part Turok did a great job of using those to really give the games a nice atmosphere. The level design in 1 is good, but in 2 it is labyrinth hell. Like, its annoying enough that I never got around to finishing the remaster for the pc.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Maybe. I think that Starfox 64 is one of the best games ever made, but the rest of the series just misses for me. I guess Armada was ok, but it came out when I was in the phase of hating psychic powers and they replaced Peppy with Crystal and instead of just scanning the enemies she used her psychic powers to show how much hp they had. At the time that rubbed me so wrong that I just got rid of the game and it totally colored my perception of it. Starfox adventures I found to be lackluster SF version of Zelda, didn't play Zero, but I really wanted to, however after hearing about the control scheme, just no. Didn't really like the open world kinda thing that Starfox 2 and command had. The original Starfox was good, but hard to go back to that fps as I said before.
Oddly enough I think Command is probably the best one to come out after 64, I like Adventures as a weird zelda clone, and Assault is fun but the flight sections suffer immensely for the other game segments. Command had the touch controls that I dislike on principle but actually worked rather well for it and the story segments were amusing. The less said about Zero the better.

I don't dislike most of them but I wouldn't actually recommend any of them to other people.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not a favorite as I did not like the game and found it annoyingly mediocre, but the only thing I liked about Yaiba was Arcade Mode, the robot dog boss, and Miss Monday.

It's too bad this game and Ninja Gaiden 3 killed the series.​

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The very first Final Fantasy. Even the later ports can't hide the game's age, with its almost total lack of a plot or direction (though there are quite a few clues to progression if you talk to everyone), mandatory grinding, uneven balance, and the fact that the Intelligence stat has never done anything in any version of the game. But I think that its dungeon design is legitimately 10/10 (with the exception of the Ice Cave, and that's more on the enemies than the layout), and the original battle system with the Vancian spell slots and ability to attack dead enemies to no effect keeps encounters pretty interesting, requiring you to balance how badly you want an enemy/enemies dead with keeping up turn economy and enough spells for later fights. Picking your party at the start of the game lets you make each playthrough as different as you want it to be, and ranging from 'relatively simple' to 'why did I think this was a good idea' while still being beatable with pretty much any combination and a good strategy. It even has some good world design - try drawing an X on a world map between all the Crystal dungeons sometime.

It's mainly a 'bad' game from a modern perspective, especially the original NES version with the most bugs and least QoL, but it's definitely still worth playing. I recommend either that version or the PS1 'Origins' version, which both kept the spell slots. PS1 also allows you to turn off attacking dead enemies if you want, and fixes a lot of bugs, though it's harder to get a copy of.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The very first Final Fantasy. Even the later ports can't hide the game's age, with its almost total lack of a plot or direction (though there are quite a few clues to progression if you talk to everyone), mandatory grinding, uneven balance, and the fact that the Intelligence stat has never done anything in any version of the game. But I think that its dungeon design is legitimately 10/10 (with the exception of the Ice Cave, and that's more on the enemies than the layout), and the original battle system with the Vancian spell slots and ability to attack dead enemies to no effect keeps encounters pretty interesting, requiring you to balance how badly you want an enemy/enemies dead with keeping up turn economy and enough spells for later fights. Picking your party at the start of the game lets you make each playthrough as different as you want it to be, and ranging from 'relatively simple' to 'why did I think this was a good idea' while still being beatable with pretty much any combination and a good strategy. It even has some good world design - try drawing an X on a world map between all the Crystal dungeons sometime.

It's mainly a 'bad' game from a modern perspective, especially the original NES version with the most bugs and least QoL, but it's definitely still worth playing. I recommend either that version or the PS1 'Origins' version, which both kept the spell slots. PS1 also allows you to turn off attacking dead enemies if you want, and fixes a lot of bugs, though it's harder to get a copy of.
I still have the GBA version called Dawn of Souls. It comes with FFI & FFII in the same cartridge. I never liked II and found the combat not good. FFI got a lot of play on the portable system back in the day. I love the save anywhere feature.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I still have the GBA version called Dawn of Souls. It comes with FFI & FFII in the same cartridge. I never liked II and found the combat not good. FFI got a lot of play on the portable system back in the day. I love the save anywhere feature.
Honestly, I think the switch to mana points kinda cheapens the magic system, since it makes it much easier to just spam the high-level spells rather than forcing you to be frugal with them, and the game isn't meant for that IMO.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, I think the switch to mana points kinda cheapens the magic system, since it makes it much easier to just spam the high-level spells rather than forcing you to be frugal with them, and the game isn't meant for that IMO.
Eh, I still had fun.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Genshin Impact, I just got Baal, and I don't know what to do with her

1. To start I lack the resources to level her to 90 with a leveled weapons, good stats, talents, and artifacts.

2. I suspect Genshin is being banned in China, soon to be the world

3. They nerfed her sex appeal

4. Genshin being banned

5. I am really bored.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Genshin Impact, I just got Baal, and I don't know what to do with her

1. To start I lack the resources to level her to 90 with a leveled weapons, good stats, talents, and artifacts.

2. I suspect Genshin is being banned in China, soon to be the world

3. They nerfed her sex appeal

4. Genshin being banned

5. I am really bored.
Wait, isn't Genshin made in China? Wouldn't that be stupid to ban the biggest game to come out of China in like......ever? I mean it's the CCP but seriously?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
NG3RE, so long as you're not playing the hardest difficulties. After beating the game, I usually just stick with chapter select on Normal mode or play the Ninja Trials. Kasumi beng added to the playable roster helps too.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The original Assassins Creed is usually dismissed as a "demo" or janky or some quaint, pathetic fore-runner to the actually good AC games.
While AC2 is my personal favorite game in the series, I love AC1 almost as much.
First of all the mechanics are almost identical to AC2. Yes, they improved it for the sequel, as you would expect, but parkour/movement in the original is amazing. Even the details like how you can actually control aspects of how the character vaults over small obstacles was there right in the beginning and the animations and "feel" are even better than in some of the later games.

One criticism is that the missions are repetitive. I laugh at this considering how much more "repetitive" pretty much all big games have gotten. There are folks out there playing Destiny and Genshin Impact every day who declare AC1's missions as being repetitive, like gtfo.
Yes, each of the nine main assassinations has the same core structure- you gotta walk around a district and do a couple of investigative missions before you can go after the target. I don't see why this is so bad, it pretty much is a common gameplay loop.

Some people complain about the flag collecting, which is also silly because you don't get anything for the flags and you don't have to do it and you shouldn't.
Some people complain about the grey/brown and that one is more fair. Still, the cities are different enough as to be thematically interesting and I still think they look great. We were coming out of the brown era for games so yeah for its time it looked great but I still think it looks great.

Most importantly, AC1 is the only game in the series that offers real immersion. You can turn off the HUD and navigate the game exclusively with environmental cues. In fact it was designed for that, supposedly they just added the HUD at the end to ensure players don't get too lost. Which, yes, you can say was as sign of the excessive hand-holding to come that many complain about (not me, though).
There is nothing like entering a district in one of the cities for the first time and just walking around. You look up to see eagles circling a tower and you know that is a viewpoint, so you climb up deliberately taking in how atmosphere changes up high. Sync the point, leap back down, and continue exploring. Overhear a conversation about delivering a message and you know that is a message to intercept and your first investigative mission. Do that until you find the Assassin's Bureau, or complete the investigation. Read the clues in your inventory for escape routes or more context, then go after your target for both a satisfying kill and continued exposition.

Yes, the annoying parts do get in the way sometimes. The infamous beggars and insane guys that hit you- I'm not gonna defend that shit. The citizen rescue bits that are just waves of fighting, I think that was stupid, really kills the whole shadowy assassins vibe. This I feel was the game getting in its own way and also looks ahead to the problems of Ubisoft bloat in the future. And the Kingdom area in between the cities was a big empty waste of nothing- it was supposed to be this big survival exploration extra thing but instead of just excising it when they didn't have time to include it, they left the area in with nothing to do in but just run in between the cities once each time so that you can unlock fast travel later.
But those weaknesses do not overwhelm the game's strength and promise for what the series could have been.

Oh, you know what else the game was actually good at?- the story! The whole meta-narrative with the animus, the assassins vs templars, the conspiracies- it was actually cool and promising. Sure walking slowly to read emails to deliver some of it was lame, but the content and promise of more was there and I remember how excited I was for it in those first two games. Now I just want them to remove any "modern day" from these new games 'cause man did they start losing the plot real quick with Brotherhood.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The original Assassins Creed is usually dismissed as a "demo" or janky or some quaint, pathetic fore-runner to the actually good AC games.
I'm not in the loop of general games criticism, but... is it?

As far as I recall, Assassins Creed 1 was relatively well received. It looked amazing [for the time] and had some intriguing [if repetitive] gameplay in the "climb anywhere at any time" which if I recall correctly, hadn't been done before in such realistic, non-puzzle-platformy environments. Anyone who got into later AC games only to look back and say they were objectively better than AC1 were stating the obvious; by virtue of their logic, most 1st installments of any successful franchises are "demos" or "forerunners to the actually good games."

The soonest I saw AC getting shit was when it wasn't until Black Flag (AC4,) they'd done little to change up the formula, or the fact that we got a "new," samey AC every 6 months.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm not in the loop of general games criticism, but... is it?

As far as I recall, Assassins Creed 1 was relatively well received. It looked amazing [for the time] and had some intriguing [if repetitive] gameplay in the "climb anywhere at any time" which if I recall correctly, hadn't been done before in such realistic, non-puzzle-platformy environments. Anyone who got into later AC games only to look back and say they were objectively better than AC1 were stating the obvious; by virtue of their logic, most 1st installments of any successful franchises are "demos" or "forerunners to the actually good games."

The soonest I saw AC getting shit was when it wasn't until Black Flag (AC4,) they'd done little to change up the formula, or the fact that we got a "new," samey AC every 6 months.
Well just whenever I see the game mentioned it seems it's always "too repetitive" or "it's basically a tech demo."
I wasn't really following games when it came out, I played it after playing AC2 so I wasn't really part of its initial impact. To me it was always dismissed as that old game. I played it only because of how much I enjoyed AC2, loved it, and multiple replays.